New Window with history? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on New Window with history? - Mozilla ; In IE, when I do "File, New, Window", the new instance of the browser object retains the history of the parent object. Firefox doesn't appear to do that. I use this feature daily in IE. Can't believe this is not ...

  1. New Window with history?

    In IE, when I do "File, New, Window", the new instance of the browser
    object retains the history of the parent object. Firefox doesn't
    appear to do that.

    I use this feature daily in IE. Can't believe this is not in Firefox.

    Is this a setting? Do I need a plugin/extension?

    Found only one other reference to this here (not mine, but same
    question, and apparently no answer):

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...753b76cf2de66d

  2. Re: New Window with history?

    On 04/24/06 10:54, Dougmeister wrote:
    > In IE, when I do "File, New, Window", the new instance of the browser
    > object retains the history of the parent object. Firefox doesn't
    > appear to do that.
    >
    > I use this feature daily in IE. Can't believe this is not in Firefox.
    >
    > Is this a setting? Do I need a plugin/extension?
    >
    > Found only one other reference to this here (not mine, but same
    > question, and apparently no answer):
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...753b76cf2de66d

    Try the Clone Window extension [1].

    [1]
    --
    Matt Nordhoff
    (aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

  3. Re: New Window with history?

    Dougmeister wrote:

    > In IE, when I do "File, New, Window", the new instance of the browser
    > object retains the history of the parent object. Firefox doesn't
    > appear to do that.
    >
    > I use this feature daily in IE. Can't believe this is not in Firefox.
    >
    > Is this a setting? Do I need a plugin/extension?
    >
    > Found only one other reference to this here (not mine, but same
    > question, and apparently no answer):
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...753b76cf2de66d

    create a bookmark out of the following javascript code. Start with
    the word javascript and drag it all the way to the last ):

    javascript:dtTim=new
    Date();void(window.open(location.href,'w'+dtTim.ge tTime()))

    Now, when you want a new FF window, just click on that and you'll get
    a duplicate

    --
    Things to Ponder about: If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make
    a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?

  4. Re: New Window with history?

    Dougmeister wrote:
    > In IE, when I do "File, New, Window", the new instance of the browser
    > object retains the history of the parent object. Firefox doesn't
    > appear to do that.
    >
    > I use this feature daily in IE. Can't believe this is not in Firefox.
    >
    > Is this a setting? Do I need a plugin/extension?
    >
    > Found only one other reference to this here (not mine, but same
    > question, and apparently no answer):
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...753b76cf2de66d

    A new window is just that, new. It has no history. What you need is a
    'duplicate window', which, I believe, if available in an extension.
    Search for 'duplicate window' in the extensions.

  5. Re: New Window with history?

    Thanks! Will try it tonight.

  6. Re: New Window with history?

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Dougmeister wrote:
    >> In IE, when I do "File, New, Window", the new instance of the browser
    >> object retains the history of the parent object. Firefox doesn't
    >> appear to do that.
    >>
    >> I use this feature daily in IE. Can't believe this is not in Firefox.
    >>
    >> Is this a setting? Do I need a plugin/extension?
    >>
    >> Found only one other reference to this here (not mine, but same
    >> question, and apparently no answer):
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...753b76cf2de66d
    >>

    > A new window is just that, new. It has no history. What you need is a
    > 'duplicate window', which, I believe, if available in an extension.
    > Search for 'duplicate window' in the extensions.

    Here's a bookmarklet for your personal toolbar which has worked ever
    since Netscape 4.x:

    javascript:void(window.open(self.location))

    No, I didn't write it, I'm just a user!

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
    "Why put fault tolerance in the OS, when it's already built
    into the User?" -- Steve Shaw, regarding Win95

  7. Re: New Window with history?

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Dougmeister wrote:
    >>> In IE, when I do "File, New, Window", the new instance of the browser
    >>> object retains the history of the parent object. Firefox doesn't
    >>> appear to do that.
    >>>
    >>> I use this feature daily in IE. Can't believe this is not in Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Is this a setting? Do I need a plugin/extension?
    >>>
    >>> Found only one other reference to this here (not mine, but same
    >>> question, and apparently no answer):
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...753b76cf2de66d
    >>>

    >> A new window is just that, new. It has no history. What you need is a
    >> 'duplicate window', which, I believe, if available in an extension.
    >> Search for 'duplicate window' in the extensions.

    > Here's a bookmarklet for your personal toolbar which has worked ever
    > since Netscape 4.x:
    >
    > javascript:void(window.open(self.location))
    >
    > No, I didn't write it, I'm just a user!

    Crap, the new one doesn't retain the history. BUT, every window or tab
    adds to the history file, which you can watch happening if you so desire.

    I can picture a world without war, without hate. I can picture
    us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

+ Reply to Thread