Firefox 1.5.0.2 problems.. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox 1.5.0.2 problems.. - Mozilla ; Since the latest version updated itself the other day, I seem to have incurred a few problems I have not seen before. Upon a re-boot, my choice, when the screen comes up, my selected home page reverts to the Firefox ...

  1. Firefox 1.5.0.2 problems..

    Since the latest version updated itself the other day, I seem to have
    incurred a few problems I have not seen before.

    Upon a re-boot, my choice, when the screen comes up, my selected home
    page reverts to the Firefox page. Even after re-selecting, my home page
    comes up with all my previously selected options at default...font
    size...download
    options, etc. In addition, my bookmarks, fortunately I back them up,
    either change to a truncated version or in many instances disappear
    altogether.
    All of this is correctable but perhaps someone who has experienced this
    knows the solution.

    All I can think of would be one of the rdf files or ???

    Thanks....

    burris

  2. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 problems..

    On 24-04-2006 02:15 CET, burris composed this enchanting statement:
    > Since the latest version updated itself the other day, I seem to have
    > incurred a few problems I have not seen before.
    >
    > Upon a re-boot, my choice, when the screen comes up, my selected home
    > page reverts to the Firefox page. Even after re-selecting, my home page
    > comes up with all my previously selected options at default...font
    > size...download
    > options, etc. In addition, my bookmarks, fortunately I back them up,
    > either change to a truncated version or in many instances disappear
    > altogether.
    > All of this is correctable but perhaps someone who has experienced this
    > knows the solution.
    >
    > All I can think of would be one of the rdf files or ???
    >
    > Thanks....

    For known problems in addition to the release notes, which you have seen
    undoubtedly, have a look at
    and/or do a search
    available on that site.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  3. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 problems..

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 24-04-2006 02:15 CET, burris composed this enchanting statement:
    >> Since the latest version updated itself the other day, I seem to have
    >> incurred a few problems I have not seen before.
    >>
    >> Upon a re-boot, my choice, when the screen comes up, my selected home
    >> page reverts to the Firefox page. Even after re-selecting, my home page
    >> comes up with all my previously selected options at default...font
    >> size...download
    >> options, etc. In addition, my bookmarks, fortunately I back them up,
    >> either change to a truncated version or in many instances disappear
    >> altogether.
    >> All of this is correctable but perhaps someone who has experienced this
    >> knows the solution.
    >>
    >> All I can think of would be one of the rdf files or ???
    >>
    >> Thanks....

    > For known problems in addition to the release notes, which you have seen
    > undoubtedly, have a look at
    > and/or do a search
    > available on that site.

    Thanks for your reply.

    Unfortunately I have done these procedures quite a few times.

    As I indicated, it's not the end of the world and maybe as time goes on,
    the developers will find out what causes these problems and correct them.

    In any event, for me and the many people I have turned on to Mozilla
    products since inception, I find it far better and safer than IE or any
    other browser for that matter. I have tried them all and although some
    have a neat feature or two, overall in terms of stability, I love Mozilla.

    burris

  4. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 problems..

    On 24-04-2006 14:36 CET, burris composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 24-04-2006 02:15 CET, burris composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> Since the latest version updated itself the other day, I seem to have
    >>> incurred a few problems I have not seen before.
    >>>
    >>> Upon a re-boot, my choice, when the screen comes up, my selected home
    >>> page reverts to the Firefox page. Even after re-selecting, my home page
    >>> comes up with all my previously selected options at default...font
    >>> size...download
    >>> options, etc. In addition, my bookmarks, fortunately I back them up,
    >>> either change to a truncated version or in many instances disappear
    >>> altogether.
    >>> All of this is correctable but perhaps someone who has experienced this
    >>> knows the solution.
    >>>
    >>> All I can think of would be one of the rdf files or ???
    >>>
    >>> Thanks....

    >> For known problems in addition to the release notes, which you have
    >> seen undoubtedly, have a look at
    >> and/or do a
    >> search available on that site.

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > Unfortunately I have done these procedures quite a few times.
    >
    > As I indicated, it's not the end of the world and maybe as time goes
    > on, the developers will find out what causes these problems and
    > correct them.
    >
    > In any event, for me and the many people I have turned on to Mozilla
    > products since inception, I find it far better and safer than IE or
    > any other browser for that matter. I have tried them all and although
    > some have a neat feature or two, overall in terms of stability, I love
    > Mozilla.
    >
    > burris

    You are welcome. I take it that the cause of your problem is not dealt
    with, that is not described in the reference I gave you. I gave it some
    more thought.

    Can you remember what you did that reinstated your original data? Quite
    possibly the level of Firefox that received the upgrade was still
    running when the restart was done with the upgraded application.
    A restart of your system may have corrected that.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  5. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 problems..

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 24-04-2006 14:36 CET, burris composed this enchanting statement:
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>> On 24-04-2006 02:15 CET, burris composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> For known problems in addition to the release notes, which you have
    >>> seen undoubtedly, have a look at
    >>> and/or do a
    >>> search available on that site.

    >> Thanks for your reply.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately I have done these procedures quite a few times.
    >>
    >> As I indicated, it's not the end of the world and maybe as time goes
    >> on, the developers will find out what causes these problems and
    >> correct them.
    >>
    >> In any event, for me and the many people I have turned on to Mozilla
    >> products since inception, I find it far better and safer than IE or
    >> any other browser for that matter. I have tried them all and although
    >> some have a neat feature or two, overall in terms of stability, I love
    >> Mozilla.
    >>
    >> burris

    > You are welcome. I take it that the cause of your problem is not dealt
    > with, that is not described in the reference I gave you. I gave it some
    > more thought.
    >
    > Can you remember what you did that reinstated your original data? Quite
    > possibly the level of Firefox that received the upgrade was still
    > running when the restart was done with the upgraded application.
    > A restart of your system may have corrected that.

    I moved one of the correct bookmark backup files into the profile, took
    care of that.

    Another time, the profile got corrupted and since I have two HDD, the
    second being cloned periodically for backup, I copied the one from
    there. Took care of that problem.
    I keep trying MOZ backup and it does backup but most of the time it
    won't restore. ERUNT works well when I remember to use it, but its auto
    backup function doesn't always work.

    Still had a few glitches that the deletion and restoration of the rdf
    file took care of that.

    Ultimately I rebooted but for other reasons and thus far, all is well.

    Sorry I can't be more specific but will look carefully if this happens
    again and post accordingly.

    To be fair, I am constantly installing and uninstalling many programs
    which could be a contributing factor.

    I run XP Pro with 1Gb ram/AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.16Ghz on my main PC. I use
    a second machine for other chores but don't do much Firefoxing with that
    one.

    Thanks again....

    burris

  6. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 problems..

    burris wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> Thanks for your reply.
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately I have done these procedures quite a few times.
    >>>
    >>> As I indicated, it's not the end of the world and maybe as time goes
    >>> on, the developers will find out what causes these problems and
    >>> correct them.
    >>>
    >>> In any event, for me and the many people I have turned on to Mozilla
    >>> products since inception, I find it far better and safer than IE or
    >>> any other browser for that matter. I have tried them all and although
    >>> some have a neat feature or two, overall in terms of stability, I
    >>> love Mozilla.
    >>>
    >>> burris

    >> You are welcome. I take it that the cause of your problem is not dealt
    >> with, that is not described in the reference I gave you. I gave it
    >> some more thought.
    >>
    >> Can you remember what you did that reinstated your original data?
    >> Quite possibly the level of Firefox that received the upgrade was
    >> still running when the restart was done with the upgraded application.
    >> A restart of your system may have corrected that.
    >>

    > I moved one of the correct bookmark backup files into the profile, took
    > care of that.
    >
    > Another time, the profile got corrupted and since I have two HDD, the
    > second being cloned periodically for backup, I copied the one from
    > there. Took care of that problem.
    > I keep trying MOZ backup and it does backup but most of the time it
    > won't restore. ERUNT works well when I remember to use it, but its auto
    > backup function doesn't always work.
    >
    > Still had a few glitches that the deletion and restoration of the rdf
    > file took care of that.
    >
    > Ultimately I rebooted but for other reasons and thus far, all is well.
    >
    > Sorry I can't be more specific but will look carefully if this happens
    > again and post accordingly.
    >
    > To be fair, I am constantly installing and uninstalling many programs
    > which could be a contributing factor.
    >
    > I run XP Pro with 1Gb ram/AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.16Ghz on my main PC. I use
    > a second machine for other chores but don't do much Firefoxing with that
    > one.
    >
    > Thanks again....
    >
    > burris

    Once again and much to my dismay, it is happening again.

    Today I again lost my bookmarks, but as before, there are enough current
    back-ups to restore from.

    Another thing that happens is that "some" of the customized icons in the
    toolbar drop off, but remain in the customized tank to put back up.

    This time I didn't lose any of my option settings.

    Later, I had to again delete the rdf again so it would behave correctly.

    During this last interim, I was not installing or doing anything
    critical with this PC.

    Since I never had any known breaches of security during all the years of
    using the Moz products from Netscape on, I wonder if there would be any
    value in re-installing a previous build until maybe something is found
    with this latest one.

    Any comments would be appreciated.

    Thanks....

    burris

  7. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 problems..

    burris wrote:
    > burris wrote:
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>> On 24-04-2006 14:36 CET, burris composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> You are welcome. I take it that the cause of your problem is not
    >>> dealt with, that is not described in the reference I gave you. I gave
    >>> it some more thought.
    >>>
    >>> Can you remember what you did that reinstated your original data?
    >>> Quite possibly the level of Firefox that received the upgrade was
    >>> still running when the restart was done with the upgraded application.
    >>> A restart of your system may have corrected that.
    >>>

    >> I moved one of the correct bookmark backup files into the profile,
    >> took care of that.
    >>
    >> Another time, the profile got corrupted and since I have two HDD, the
    >> second being cloned periodically for backup, I copied the one from
    >> there. Took care of that problem.
    >> I keep trying MOZ backup and it does backup but most of the time it
    >> won't restore. ERUNT works well when I remember to use it, but its
    >> auto backup function doesn't always work.
    >>
    >> Still had a few glitches that the deletion and restoration of the rdf
    >> file took care of that.
    >>
    >> Ultimately I rebooted but for other reasons and thus far, all is well.
    >>
    >> Sorry I can't be more specific but will look carefully if this happens
    >> again and post accordingly.
    >>
    >> To be fair, I am constantly installing and uninstalling many programs
    >> which could be a contributing factor.
    >>
    >> I run XP Pro with 1Gb ram/AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.16Ghz on my main PC. I
    >> use a second machine for other chores but don't do much Firefoxing
    >> with that one.
    >>
    >> Thanks again....
    >>
    >> burris

    > Once again and much to my dismay, it is happening again.
    >
    > Today I again lost my bookmarks, but as before, there are enough current
    > back-ups to restore from.
    >
    > Another thing that happens is that "some" of the customized icons in the
    > toolbar drop off, but remain in the customized tank to put back up.
    >
    > This time I didn't lose any of my option settings.
    >
    > Later, I had to again delete the rdf again so it would behave correctly.
    >
    > During this last interim, I was not installing or doing anything
    > critical with this PC.
    >
    > Since I never had any known breaches of security during all the years of
    > using the Moz products from Netscape on, I wonder if there would be any
    > value in re-installing a previous build until maybe something is found
    > with this latest one.
    >
    > Any comments would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks....
    >
    > burris

    What extensions do you have and what theme are you using? I suggest you
    run in FF safe mode for a while to see if the problem recurs (modify
    your FF icon by adding " -safe-mode" to the execute line (without the
    quotes, but with the space).

    Alternatively, you might just try a new clean profile. If you don't know
    how to move your bookmarks, passwords, cookies, etc., see

    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingree...s.html#copying

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

  8. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 problems..

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > burris wrote:
    >> burris wrote:

    >>> I moved one of the correct bookmark backup files into the profile,
    >>> took care of that.
    >>>
    >>> Another time, the profile got corrupted and since I have two HDD, the
    >>> second being cloned periodically for backup, I copied the one from
    >>> there. Took care of that problem.
    >>> I keep trying MOZ backup and it does backup but most of the time it
    >>> won't restore. ERUNT works well when I remember to use it, but its
    >>> auto backup function doesn't always work.
    >>>
    >>> Still had a few glitches that the deletion and restoration of the rdf
    >>> file took care of that.
    >>>
    >>> Ultimately I rebooted but for other reasons and thus far, all is well.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry I can't be more specific but will look carefully if this
    >>> happens again and post accordingly.
    >>>
    >>> To be fair, I am constantly installing and uninstalling many programs
    >>> which could be a contributing factor.
    >>>
    >>> I run XP Pro with 1Gb ram/AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.16Ghz on my main PC. I
    >>> use a second machine for other chores but don't do much Firefoxing
    >>> with that one.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again....
    >>>
    >>> burris

    >> Once again and much to my dismay, it is happening again.
    >>
    >> Today I again lost my bookmarks, but as before, there are enough
    >> current back-ups to restore from.
    >>
    >> Another thing that happens is that "some" of the customized icons in
    >> the toolbar drop off, but remain in the customized tank to put back up.
    >>
    >> This time I didn't lose any of my option settings.
    >>
    >> Later, I had to again delete the rdf again so it would behave correctly.
    >>
    >> During this last interim, I was not installing or doing anything
    >> critical with this PC.
    >>
    >> Since I never had any known breaches of security during all the years
    >> of using the Moz products from Netscape on, I wonder if there would be
    >> any value in re-installing a previous build until maybe something is
    >> found with this latest one.
    >>
    >> Any comments would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks....
    >>
    >> burris

    > What extensions do you have and what theme are you using? I suggest you
    > run in FF safe mode for a while to see if the problem recurs (modify
    > your FF icon by adding " -safe-mode" to the execute line (without the
    > quotes, but with the space).
    >
    > Alternatively, you might just try a new clean profile. If you don't know
    > how to move your bookmarks, passwords, cookies, etc., see
    >
    > http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingree...s.html#copying

    Themes include..0.9.9.7..classic winstripe..Firefox default(using this
    one)..IFox 2.0

    Extensions include..answers 1.24...dictionary search 1.5...IE view
    1.2.7...MR Tech local install 4.6.4..that's it....

    I will try the rest of your suggestions as I go along..

    Thanks....

    burris

+ Reply to Thread