Firefox Not Worth My Time - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox Not Worth My Time - Mozilla ; This is a love/hate thing. When i first used Firefox, I thought it was great. Nice interface, performs well, isn't Microsoft. But recently, after upgrading to version 1.5.0.2, it's been crap. First my Yahoo! Mail would lock up Firefox, then ...

  1. Firefox Not Worth My Time

    This is a love/hate thing. When i first used Firefox, I thought it was
    great. Nice interface, performs well, isn't Microsoft. But recently,
    after upgrading to version 1.5.0.2, it's been crap. First my Yahoo!
    Mail would lock up Firefox, then ANYTHING Yahoo! (and no one else) will
    lock it up, and now it locks up all the time.

    I uninstalled 1.5.0.2 and re-installed 1.5(.0.1?) and no luck, it locks
    up within 2 minutes. Anyone with any suggestions?

    Please, I don't need any of those "It Doesn't Happen To Me" type of

  2. Re: Firefox Not Worth My Time

    atarian999@yahoo.com wrote:

    > This is a love/hate thing. When i first used Firefox, I thought it was
    > great. Nice interface, performs well, isn't Microsoft. But recently,
    > after upgrading to version 1.5.0.2, it's been crap. First my Yahoo!
    > Mail would lock up Firefox, then ANYTHING Yahoo! (and no one else) will
    > lock it up, and now it locks up all the time.
    >
    > I uninstalled 1.5.0.2 and re-installed 1.5(.0.1?) and no luck, it locks
    > up within 2 minutes. Anyone with any suggestions?
    >
    > Please, I don't need any of those "It Doesn't Happen To Me" type of

    well, you're right it doesn't happen to me. I can access all of Yahoo
    with no problems whatsoever.

    So, there must be something wrong within your profile. Couple of
    suggestions.

    1 -- start FF in safe mode. Close FF and make sure its closed my
    looking in the task manager [ctrl+alt+del] and end it there if its
    still running. Now click on Start, Programs and look for the FF
    folder and inside of that will be the FF Safe Mode icon. Click that.
    Go to yahoo and see what happens. Starting in Safe Mode will
    disable any and all extension and themes you may have. Does the
    problem continue? If not, then its a problem with a theme and
    extension. Go into the Extension Manager [from Tools], right click on
    everything listed and disable them. Now restart FF. Go to Yahoo and
    try thing out. Now, add each extension in one at a time until you
    find the culprit.

    If the problem does continue in Safe Mode, then close FF as outlined
    in 1. Now, click on Start, Run and enter:

    firefox.exe -p

    this will bring up the FF Profile Manager, and from here you can
    create a test profile. Does the problem continue in the test profile?

    Suggestion, create a new profile and test that out.

    --
    CIA - Computer Industry Acronyms: WINDOWS: Will Install Needless Data
    On Whole System.

  3. Re: Firefox Not Worth My Time

    gwtc wrote:
    > atarian999@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > This is a love/hate thing. When i first used Firefox, I thought it was
    > > great. Nice interface, performs well, isn't Microsoft. But recently,

    ---SNIP---

    > well, you're right it doesn't happen to me. I can access all of Yahoo
    > with no problems whatsoever.
    >
    > So, there must be something wrong within your profile. Couple of
    > suggestions.
    >
    > 1 -- start FF in safe mode. (SNIP) Starting in Safe Mode will
    > disable any and all extension and themes you may have. Does the
    > problem continue? If not, then its a problem with a theme and

    Many thanks. I disabled (and uninstalled) all of my extensions (except
    one, it refuses to be uninstalled [!]) and now FF works fine. I can do
    without extensions.

    Thanks again!

    "When all else fails, read the instructions!"

  4. Re: Firefox Not Worth My Time

    atarian999@yahoo.com wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>atarian999@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>This is a love/hate thing. When i first used Firefox, I thought it was
    >>>great. Nice interface, performs well, isn't Microsoft. But recently,

    > ---SNIP---
    >

    >>well, you're right it doesn't happen to me. I can access all of Yahoo
    >>with no problems whatsoever.
    >>
    >>So, there must be something wrong within your profile. Couple of
    >>suggestions.
    >>
    >>1 -- start FF in safe mode. (SNIP) Starting in Safe Mode will
    >>disable any and all extension and themes you may have. Does the
    >>problem continue? If not, then its a problem with a theme and

    > Many thanks. I disabled (and uninstalled) all of my extensions (except
    > one, it refuses to be uninstalled [!]) and now FF works fine. I can do
    > without extensions.
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > "When all else fails, read the instructions!"

    which one is the problem one? And which one refused to be uninstalled?

    --
    CIA - Computer Industry Acronyms: WINDOWS: Will Install Needless Data
    On Whole System.

  5. Re: Firefox Not Worth My Time

    atarian999@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Many thanks. I disabled (and uninstalled) all of my extensions (except
    > one, it refuses to be uninstalled [!]) and now FF works fine.

    Which extension?
    I would like to avoid installing it myself!

    --
    Steven D. Litvintchouk
    Email: sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

  6. Re: Firefox Not Worth My Time

    atarian999@yahoo.com wrote:
    > This is a love/hate thing. When i first used Firefox, I thought it was
    > great. Nice interface, performs well, isn't Microsoft. But recently,
    > after upgrading to version 1.5.0.2, it's been crap. First my Yahoo!
    > Mail would lock up Firefox, then ANYTHING Yahoo! (and no one else) will
    > lock it up, and now it locks up all the time.
    >
    > I uninstalled 1.5.0.2 and re-installed 1.5(.0.1?) and no luck, it locks
    > up within 2 minutes. Anyone with any suggestions?
    >
    > Please, I don't need any of those "It Doesn't Happen To Me" type of

    Make a new profile, and then start the program in 'safe mode'. This
    disables all extensions, and themes. If the program then becomes
    stable, and it probably will, try adding back themes and extensions
    carefully to see what is causing the problem.

  7. Re: Firefox Not Worth My Time

    atarian999@yahoo.com wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> atarian999@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is a love/hate thing. When i first used Firefox, I thought it was
    >>> great. Nice interface, performs well, isn't Microsoft. But recently,

    > ---SNIP---
    >
    >> well, you're right it doesn't happen to me. I can access all of Yahoo
    >> with no problems whatsoever.
    >>
    >> So, there must be something wrong within your profile. Couple of
    >> suggestions.
    >>
    >> 1 -- start FF in safe mode. (SNIP) Starting in Safe Mode will
    >> disable any and all extension and themes you may have. Does the
    >> problem continue? If not, then its a problem with a theme and

    > Many thanks. I disabled (and uninstalled) all of my extensions (except
    > one, it refuses to be uninstalled [!]) and now FF works fine. I can do
    > without extensions.
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > "When all else fails, read the instructions!"

    You can add the extensions back one by one as incompatible ones won't load.

  8. Re: Firefox Not Worth My Time

    On 04/15/06 15:11, atarian999@yahoo.com wrote:
    > This is a love/hate thing. When i first used Firefox, I thought it was
    > great. Nice interface, performs well, isn't Microsoft. But recently,
    > after upgrading to version 1.5.0.2, it's been crap. First my Yahoo!
    > Mail would lock up Firefox, then ANYTHING Yahoo! (and no one else) will
    > lock it up, and now it locks up all the time.
    >
    > I uninstalled 1.5.0.2 and re-installed 1.5(.0.1?) and no luck, it locks
    > up within 2 minutes. Anyone with any suggestions?

    If you use Adblock Plus, Yahoo! Messenger installs a plugin that causes
    crashes on Yahoo! Mail.

    --
    Matt Nordhoff
    (aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

  9. Re: Firefox Not Worth My Time

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 04/15/06 15:11, atarian999@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> This is a love/hate thing. When i first used Firefox, I thought it was
    >> great. Nice interface, performs well, isn't Microsoft. But recently,
    >> after upgrading to version 1.5.0.2, it's been crap. First my Yahoo!
    >> Mail would lock up Firefox, then ANYTHING Yahoo! (and no one else) will
    >> lock it up, and now it locks up all the time.
    >>
    >> I uninstalled 1.5.0.2 and re-installed 1.5(.0.1?) and no luck, it locks
    >> up within 2 minutes. Anyone with any suggestions?

    > If you use Adblock Plus, Yahoo! Messenger installs a plugin that causes
    > crashes on Yahoo! Mail.

    Funny. I just went to Yahoo Mail with FF 1.5.0.2, and with Adblock Plus
    active, had no problems. Maybe a setting somewhere??

  10. Re: Firefox Not Worth My Time

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >> On 04/15/06 15:11, atarian999@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>> This is a love/hate thing. When i first used Firefox, I thought it was
    >>> great. Nice interface, performs well, isn't Microsoft. But recently,
    >>> after upgrading to version 1.5.0.2, it's been crap. First my Yahoo!
    >>> Mail would lock up Firefox, then ANYTHING Yahoo! (and no one else) will
    >>> lock it up, and now it locks up all the time.
    >>>
    >>> I uninstalled 1.5.0.2 and re-installed 1.5(.0.1?) and no luck, it locks
    >>> up within 2 minutes. Anyone with any suggestions?

    >> If you use Adblock Plus, Yahoo! Messenger installs a plugin that
    >> causes crashes on Yahoo! Mail.
    >>

    > Funny. I just went to Yahoo Mail with FF 1.5.0.2, and with Adblock Plus
    > active, had no problems. Maybe a setting somewhere??

    Do you have Yahoo Messenger installed? From what I understand, it's the
    latter that installs the errant plugin, npYState.dll .

  11. [OT] Re: Firefox Not Worth My Time

    On 04/16/06 04:17, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Funny. I just went to Yahoo Mail with FF 1.5.0.2, and with Adblock Plus
    > active, had no problems. Maybe a setting somewhere??

    Do you have that plugin?
    --
    Matt Nordhoff
    (aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

  12. Re: [OT] Re: Firefox Not Worth My Time

    On 04/16/06 18:33, Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > Do you have that plugin?

    Eek! It can be inconvenient how Thunderbird never shows new headers
    unless you leave the newsgroup.
    --
    Matt Nordhoff
    (aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

  13. Re: Firefox Not Worth My Time

    atarian999@yahoo.com wrote:
    > This is a love/hate thing. When i first used Firefox, I thought it
    > was great. Nice interface, performs well, isn't Microsoft. But
    > recently, after upgrading to version 1.5.0.2, it's been crap. First
    > my Yahoo! Mail would lock up Firefox, then ANYTHING Yahoo! (and no
    > one else) will lock it up, and now it locks up all the time.

    I saw that you solved your problem on your own.

    So which was the offending extension? And which extension refuses to
    uninstall?

    Anywho...

    This doesn't address your issue, but it appears that you go to
    mail.yahoo.com for your e-mails. AFAIC, using the Web is a clunky way to
    do e-mail. Why not run YPOPs? It's technically not POP3, but it's
    practically the same; then you can use a real e-mail client.

    --
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread