Weird HTML thingy - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Weird HTML thingy - Mozilla ; I use my bookmark.html file as my home page. It contains a lot of ' structures instead of apostrophes. I finally decided to edit the damn things out with a text editor. Wow, nothing happens. They're gone from the text ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

  1. Weird HTML thingy

    I use my bookmark.html file as my home page. It contains a lot of '
    structures instead of apostrophes. I finally decided to edit the damn
    things out with a text editor. Wow, nothing happens. They're gone from
    the text file but FF still displays them as '

    BUT I can change them with FF's 'manage bookmarks' function and they
    show up properly as my home page. BUT BUT when I look at the file with
    an editor after I close FF the 's are there. It's as if FF is
    editing a different file. When I run FF again the changed ' on my home
    page is just where it ought to be although the text file contains '
    instead.

    I'm using the 'Western (ISO-8859-1)' character encoding, if that matters.

    This is absolutely maddening. What's happening here?

    Q: How many lawyers does it take to grease a combine?
    A: One, if you feed him in real slow.

  2. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 15/04/2006 1:48 AM:
    > I use my bookmark.html file as my home page. It contains a lot of '
    > structures instead of apostrophes. I finally decided to edit the damn
    > things out with a text editor. Wow, nothing happens. They're gone from
    > the text file but FF still displays them as '
    >
    > BUT I can change them with FF's 'manage bookmarks' function and they
    > show up properly as my home page. BUT BUT when I look at the file with
    > an editor after I close FF the 's are there. It's as if FF is
    > editing a different file. When I run FF again the changed ' on my home
    > page is just where it ought to be although the text file contains '
    > instead.
    >
    > I'm using the 'Western (ISO-8859-1)' character encoding, if that matters.
    >
    > This is absolutely maddening. What's happening here?

    Don't edit the bookmarks.html file manually.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 15/04/2006 1:48 AM:
    >> I use my bookmark.html file as my home page. It contains a lot of '
    >> structures instead of apostrophes. I finally decided to edit the damn
    >> things out with a text editor. Wow, nothing happens. They're gone from
    >> the text file but FF still displays them as '
    >>
    >> BUT I can change them with FF's 'manage bookmarks' function and they
    >> show up properly as my home page. BUT BUT when I look at the file with
    >> an editor after I close FF the 's are there. It's as if FF is
    >> editing a different file. When I run FF again the changed ' on my home
    >> page is just where it ought to be although the text file contains '
    >> instead.
    >>
    >> I'm using the 'Western (ISO-8859-1)' character encoding, if that matters.
    >>
    >> This is absolutely maddening. What's happening here?

    > Don't edit the bookmarks.html file manually.

    Apparently not :-( I'm boggled that 'manage bookmarks' changes
    SOMETHING invisible that a text editor doesn't. Is there a 50-word
    explanation?

    'Manage bookmarks' is NOT a good -- or even adequate -- editor. I have
    about 40 of these nasty little constructs which, BTW, show up in my new
    winmachine FF installation as well as the linux version. So 'manage
    bookmarks' is the only way to get rid of these things?

    "Windows Freedom Day: a holiday that moves each year, the date of which
    is calculated by adding up the total amount of time a typical person
    must spend restarting windows and then determining how many work weeks
    that would correspond to." -- Trygve Lode

  4. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    On 15.04.2006 08:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
    to generate the following:? :

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 15/04/2006 1:48 AM:
    >>
    >>> I use my bookmark.html file as my home page. It contains a lot of
    >>> ' structures instead of apostrophes. I finally decided to edit
    >>> the damn things out with a text editor. Wow, nothing happens.
    >>> They're gone from the text file but FF still displays them as '
    >>>
    >>> BUT I can change them with FF's 'manage bookmarks' function and they
    >>> show up properly as my home page. BUT BUT when I look at the file
    >>> with an editor after I close FF the 's are there. It's as if FF
    >>> is editing a different file. When I run FF again the changed ' on
    >>> my home page is just where it ought to be although the text file
    >>> contains ' instead.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using the 'Western (ISO-8859-1)' character encoding, if that
    >>> matters.
    >>>
    >>> This is absolutely maddening. What's happening here?

    >> Don't edit the bookmarks.html file manually.

    > Apparently not :-( I'm boggled that 'manage bookmarks' changes
    > SOMETHING invisible that a text editor doesn't. Is there a 50-word
    > explanation?
    >
    > 'Manage bookmarks' is NOT a good -- or even adequate -- editor. I
    > have about 40 of these nasty little constructs which, BTW, show up in
    > my new winmachine FF installation as well as the linux version. So
    > 'manage bookmarks' is the only way to get rid of these things?

    *lol* I had those (eg the TV series *Hogan's* Heroes
    http://www.grooviespad.com/stalag13/...ist.asp?Sort=A )

    I "edited" them directly in the BM sidebar, by re-writing the apostrophe
    ' - seems to have held, but it certainly is a *bug*

    reg

  5. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    squaredancer wrote:

    > On 15.04.2006 08:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
    > to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 15/04/2006 1:48 AM:

    >>> Don't edit the bookmarks.html file manually.

    >> Apparently not :-( I'm boggled that 'manage bookmarks' changes
    >> SOMETHING invisible that a text editor doesn't. Is there a 50-word
    >> explanation?
    >>
    >> 'Manage bookmarks' is NOT a good -- or even adequate -- editor. I
    >> have about 40 of these nasty little constructs which, BTW, show up in
    >> my new winmachine FF installation as well as the linux version. So
    >> 'manage bookmarks' is the only way to get rid of these things?
    >>

    > *lol* I had those (eg the TV series *Hogan's* Heroes
    > http://www.grooviespad.com/stalag13/...ist.asp?Sort=A )
    >
    > I "edited" them directly in the BM sidebar, by re-writing the apostrophe
    > ' - seems to have held, but it certainly is a *bug*

    That's not functionally different from calling up the bookmark manager.
    I edit out the nasties with bookmark manager, reload the bookmark page
    (in an ordinary window, not the 'bookmarks' functions) and lo and behold
    the change has taken place. If I then 'view source' on that page, the
    nasties are still there. It takes too long to use the actual bookmark
    function, especially when I have thousands of bookmarks. Just looking
    at the html page is much more efficient.

    WTF is happening? Are there actually two files?

    It's not the speed that kills, it's the stopping.

  6. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    On 17.04.2006 07:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
    to generate the following:? :

    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 15.04.2006 08:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real
    >> Bev to generate the following:? :

    >>> Apparently not :-( I'm boggled that 'manage bookmarks' changes
    >>> SOMETHING invisible that a text editor doesn't. Is there a 50-word
    >>> explanation?
    >>>
    >>> 'Manage bookmarks' is NOT a good -- or even adequate -- editor. I
    >>> have about 40 of these nasty little constructs which, BTW, show up
    >>> in my new winmachine FF installation as well as the linux version.
    >>> So 'manage bookmarks' is the only way to get rid of these things?
    >>>

    >> *lol* I had those (eg the TV series *Hogan's* Heroes
    >> http://www.grooviespad.com/stalag13/...ist.asp?Sort=A )
    >>
    >> I "edited" them directly in the BM sidebar, by re-writing the
    >> apostrophe ' - seems to have held, but it certainly is a *bug*

    > That's not functionally different from calling up the bookmark
    > manager. I edit out the nasties with bookmark manager, reload the
    > bookmark page (in an ordinary window, not the 'bookmarks' functions)
    > and lo and behold the change has taken place. If I then 'view source'
    > on that page, the nasties are still there. It takes too long to use
    > the actual bookmark function, especially when I have thousands of
    > bookmarks. Just looking at the html page is much more efficient.
    >
    > WTF is happening? Are there actually two files?

    hmmmm - "not funtionally different" ??? oh, but yes! and *much* faster!

    I presume therefore, you don't have the BM-Sidebar opened, and don't use
    it's "functionility".

    reg

  7. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote in
    :

    > I edit out the nasties with bookmark manager, reload the
    > bookmark page (in an ordinary window, not the 'bookmarks'
    > functions) and lo and behold the change has taken place. If I
    > then 'view source' on that page, the nasties are still there.
    > It takes too long to use the actual bookmark function, especially
    > when I have thousands of bookmarks. Just looking at the html page
    > is much more efficient.
    >
    > WTF is happening? Are there actually two files?

    I don't quite get what problem you're experiencing, but Firefox storing
    the apostrophes as ' in bookmarks.html shouldn't cause problems.
    They should render as apostrophes. (Maybe they weren't rendering
    properly before you edited them, and that was the problem?)

  8. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > I use my bookmark.html file as my home page. It contains a lot of '
    > structures instead of apostrophes. I finally decided to edit the damn
    > things out with a text editor. Wow, nothing happens. They're gone from
    > the text file but FF still displays them as '
    >
    > BUT I can change them with FF's 'manage bookmarks' function and they
    > show up properly as my home page. BUT BUT when I look at the file with
    > an editor after I close FF the 's are there. It's as if FF is
    > editing a different file. When I run FF again the changed ' on my home
    > page is just where it ought to be although the text file contains '
    > instead.
    >
    > I'm using the 'Western (ISO-8859-1)' character encoding, if that matters.
    >
    > This is absolutely maddening. What's happening here?

    The bookmarks editor function is doing the substitution because it's
    "better" that way. Some characters can cause problems if inserted
    literally in HTML instead of with their numeric or symbolic
    representations. The explanations are technical and detailed and
    incredibly boring to read but you can Google for something like
    "iso8859-1 html" (no quotes) and read to your heart's content.

    But, if the apostrophe is /displayed/ as an apostrophe, what's the
    problem? Who cares how it's rendered internally in the document?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  9. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    squaredancer wrote:

    > On 17.04.2006 07:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
    > to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 15.04.2006 08:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real
    >>> Bev to generate the following:? :

    >>> *lol* I had those (eg the TV series *Hogan's* Heroes
    >>> http://www.grooviespad.com/stalag13/...ist.asp?Sort=A )
    >>>
    >>> I "edited" them directly in the BM sidebar, by re-writing the
    >>> apostrophe ' - seems to have held, but it certainly is a *bug*

    >> That's not functionally different from calling up the bookmark
    >> manager. I edit out the nasties with bookmark manager, reload the
    >> bookmark page (in an ordinary window, not the 'bookmarks' functions)
    >> and lo and behold the change has taken place. If I then 'view source'
    >> on that page, the nasties are still there. It takes too long to use
    >> the actual bookmark function, especially when I have thousands of
    >> bookmarks. Just looking at the html page is much more efficient.
    >>
    >> WTF is happening? Are there actually two files?
    >>

    > hmmmm - "not funtionally different" ??? oh, but yes! and *much* faster!

    Mais non, pas de difference!

    > I presume therefore, you don't have the BM-Sidebar opened, and don't use
    > it's "functionility".

    No, I don't. I brought it up just because of your recommendation.
    Looking at an alphabetical list of bookmarks is very nearly useless -- I
    have the page that I look at organized in some fashion, but alphabetical
    sure isn't it.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    It's true that Smokey the Bear deserves praise for his
    campaign against forest fires, but nobody ever mentions
    the boy scouts he kills for their hats.

  10. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> I use my bookmark.html file as my home page. It contains a lot of '
    >> structures instead of apostrophes. I finally decided to edit the damn
    >> things out with a text editor. Wow, nothing happens. They're gone from
    >> the text file but FF still displays them as '
    >>
    >> BUT I can change them with FF's 'manage bookmarks' function and they
    >> show up properly as my home page. BUT BUT when I look at the file with
    >> an editor after I close FF the 's are there. It's as if FF is
    >> editing a different file. When I run FF again the changed ' on my home
    >> page is just where it ought to be although the text file contains '
    >> instead.
    >>
    >> I'm using the 'Western (ISO-8859-1)' character encoding, if that matters.
    >>
    >> This is absolutely maddening. What's happening here?

    > The bookmarks editor function is doing the substitution because it's
    > "better" that way. Some characters can cause problems if inserted
    > literally in HTML instead of with their numeric or symbolic
    > representations. The explanations are technical and detailed and
    > incredibly boring to read but you can Google for something like
    > "iso8859-1 html" (no quotes) and read to your heart's content.
    >
    > But, if the apostrophe is /displayed/ as an apostrophe, what's the
    > problem? Who cares how it's rendered internally in the document?

    The problem is that it's DISPLAYED as 's when it should be an
    apostrophe. I don't care about the underlying code, but it really bugs
    me when the same underlying code displays either way.

    I tried several different character encodings, but no change.

    Repeat: are there two different files?

    There are 10 types of geek in this world,

  11. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> I use my bookmark.html file as my home page. It contains a lot of
    >>> ' structures instead of apostrophes. I finally decided to edit
    >>> the damn things out with a text editor. Wow, nothing happens.
    >>> They're gone from the text file but FF still displays them as '
    >>>
    >>> BUT I can change them with FF's 'manage bookmarks' function and they
    >>> show up properly as my home page. BUT BUT when I look at the file
    >>> with an editor after I close FF the 's are there. It's as if FF
    >>> is editing a different file. When I run FF again the changed ' on my
    >>> home page is just where it ought to be although the text file
    >>> contains ' instead.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using the 'Western (ISO-8859-1)' character encoding, if that
    >>> matters.
    >>>
    >>> This is absolutely maddening. What's happening here?

    >> The bookmarks editor function is doing the substitution because it's
    >> "better" that way. Some characters can cause problems if inserted
    >> literally in HTML instead of with their numeric or symbolic
    >> representations. The explanations are technical and detailed and
    >> incredibly boring to read but you can Google for something like
    >> "iso8859-1 html" (no quotes) and read to your heart's content.
    >>
    >> But, if the apostrophe is /displayed/ as an apostrophe, what's the
    >> problem? Who cares how it's rendered internally in the document?

    > The problem is that it's DISPLAYED as 's when it should be an
    > apostrophe. I don't care about the underlying code, but it really bugs
    > me when the same underlying code displays either way.
    >
    > I tried several different character encodings, but no change.
    >
    > Repeat: are there two different files?

    No. One bookmarks.html.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  12. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 15.04.2006 08:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
    >> to generate the following:? :

    >>> Apparently not :-( I'm boggled that 'manage bookmarks' changes
    >>> SOMETHING invisible that a text editor doesn't. Is there a 50-word
    >>> explanation?
    >>>
    >>> 'Manage bookmarks' is NOT a good -- or even adequate -- editor. I
    >>> have about 40 of these nasty little constructs which, BTW, show up in
    >>> my new winmachine FF installation as well as the linux version. So
    >>> 'manage bookmarks' is the only way to get rid of these things?
    >>>

    >> *lol* I had those (eg the TV series *Hogan's* Heroes
    >> http://www.grooviespad.com/stalag13/...ist.asp?Sort=A )
    >>
    >> I "edited" them directly in the BM sidebar, by re-writing the
    >> apostrophe ' - seems to have held, but it certainly is a *bug*

    > That's not functionally different from calling up the bookmark manager.
    > I edit out the nasties with bookmark manager, reload the bookmark page
    > (in an ordinary window, not the 'bookmarks' functions) and lo and behold
    > the change has taken place. If I then 'view source' on that page, the
    > nasties are still there. It takes too long to use the actual bookmark
    > function, especially when I have thousands of bookmarks. Just looking
    > at the html page is much more efficient.
    >
    > WTF is happening? Are there actually two files?

    Possibly! One in your cache (the source) and one on your display; have
    you tried clearing cache after editing?

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  13. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 15.04.2006 08:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
    >>> to generate the following:? :

    >>> *lol* I had those (eg the TV series *Hogan's* Heroes
    >>> http://www.grooviespad.com/stalag13/...ist.asp?Sort=A )
    >>>
    >>> I "edited" them directly in the BM sidebar, by re-writing the
    >>> apostrophe ' - seems to have held, but it certainly is a *bug*

    >> That's not functionally different from calling up the bookmark manager.
    >> I edit out the nasties with bookmark manager, reload the bookmark page
    >> (in an ordinary window, not the 'bookmarks' functions) and lo and behold
    >> the change has taken place. If I then 'view source' on that page, the
    >> nasties are still there. It takes too long to use the actual bookmark
    >> function, especially when I have thousands of bookmarks. Just looking
    >> at the html page is much more efficient.
    >>
    >> WTF is happening? Are there actually two files?
    >>

    > Possibly! One in your cache (the source) and one on your display; have
    > you tried clearing cache after editing?

    No. I need to get over my compulsive need to keep all that stuff
    hanging around -- it really makes sense only on dialup, and mostly not
    even then... OK, that worked, thanks. Way easier to edit even with a
    truly pitiful editor like pico than to use the bookmark manager.

    OK, totally new concept... Assuming I have a 3-meg cablemodem line, is
    there any reason at all for keeping the cache after I shut down?

    It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

  14. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Q wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> I edit out the nasties with bookmark manager, reload the
    >> bookmark page (in an ordinary window, not the 'bookmarks'
    >> functions) and lo and behold the change has taken place. If I
    >> then 'view source' on that page, the nasties are still there.
    >> It takes too long to use the actual bookmark function, especially
    >> when I have thousands of bookmarks. Just looking at the html page
    >> is much more efficient.
    >>
    >> WTF is happening? Are there actually two files?

    > I don't quite get what problem you're experiencing, but Firefox storing
    > the apostrophes as ' in bookmarks.html shouldn't cause problems.
    > They should render as apostrophes. (Maybe they weren't rendering
    > properly before you edited them, and that was the problem?)

    Exactly. Save a bookmark containing an apostrophe and there it was. I
    could edit them out with the bookmark manager, but that's a pain to use
    if you want to change 40 or 50 instances. Deleting the cache enabled
    the corrections to be seen -- Even though I hit RELOAD mutliple times, I
    guess it doesn't believe that's what I really wanted and it ignored me.

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However,
    this is not necessarily a good idea...."

  15. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> That's not functionally different from calling up the bookmark
    >>> manager. I edit out the nasties with bookmark manager, reload the
    >>> bookmark page (in an ordinary window, not the 'bookmarks' functions)
    >>> and lo and behold the change has taken place. If I then 'view
    >>> source' on that page, the nasties are still there. It takes too
    >>> long to use the actual bookmark function, especially when I have
    >>> thousands of bookmarks. Just looking at the html page is much more
    >>> efficient.
    >>>
    >>> WTF is happening? Are there actually two files?
    >>>

    >> Possibly! One in your cache (the source) and one on your display;
    >> have you tried clearing cache after editing?

    > No. I need to get over my compulsive need to keep all that stuff
    > hanging around -- it really makes sense only on dialup, and mostly not
    > even then... OK, that worked, thanks. Way easier to edit even with a
    > truly pitiful editor like pico than to use the bookmark manager.
    >
    > OK, totally new concept... Assuming I have a 3-meg cablemodem line, is
    > there any reason at all for keeping the cache after I shut down?

    My setting for HD cache is zero, so I would clearly answer "no".

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  16. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    T-bird Leader The Real Bev radioed the tower On 4/17/2006 6:56 PM:

    > Q wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>
    >>> I edit out the nasties with bookmark manager, reload the
    >>> bookmark page (in an ordinary window, not the 'bookmarks'
    >>> functions) and lo and behold the change has taken place. If I
    >>> then 'view source' on that page, the nasties are still there.
    >>> It takes too long to use the actual bookmark function, especially
    >>> when I have thousands of bookmarks. Just looking at the html page
    >>> is much more efficient.
    >>>
    >>> WTF is happening? Are there actually two files?

    >> I don't quite get what problem you're experiencing, but Firefox storing
    >> the apostrophes as ' in bookmarks.html shouldn't cause problems.
    >> They should render as apostrophes. (Maybe they weren't rendering
    >> properly before you edited them, and that was the problem?)

    > Exactly. Save a bookmark containing an apostrophe and there it was. I
    > could edit them out with the bookmark manager, but that's a pain to use
    > if you want to change 40 or 50 instances. Deleting the cache enabled
    > the corrections to be seen -- Even though I hit RELOAD mutliple times, I
    > guess it doesn't believe that's what I really wanted and it ignored me.

    Shift Reload is supposed to do a cache over ride and re-pull the source file.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

  17. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Ron K. wrote:
    > T-bird Leader The Real Bev radioed the tower On 4/17/2006 6:56 PM:
    >
    >> Q wrote:

    >>> I don't quite get what problem you're experiencing, but Firefox storing
    >>> the apostrophes as ' in bookmarks.html shouldn't cause problems.
    >>> They should render as apostrophes. (Maybe they weren't rendering
    >>> properly before you edited them, and that was the problem?)

    >> Exactly. Save a bookmark containing an apostrophe and there it was.
    >> I could edit them out with the bookmark manager, but that's a pain to
    >> use if you want to change 40 or 50 instances. Deleting the cache
    >> enabled the corrections to be seen -- Even though I hit RELOAD
    >> mutliple times, I guess it doesn't believe that's what I really wanted
    >> and it ignored me.
    >>

    > Shift Reload is supposed to do a cache over ride and re-pull the source
    > file.

    As I understand it, the HTML page she was viewing did bypass the cache;
    when she viewed the source, apparently she got a cached copy.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  18. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    T-bird Leader Irwin Greenwald radioed the tower On 4/17/2006 11:13 PM:

    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> T-bird Leader The Real Bev radioed the tower On 4/17/2006 6:56 PM:

    >>> Exactly. Save a bookmark containing an apostrophe and there it was.
    >>> I could edit them out with the bookmark manager, but that's a pain to
    >>> use if you want to change 40 or 50 instances. Deleting the cache
    >>> enabled the corrections to be seen -- Even though I hit RELOAD
    >>> mutliple times, I guess it doesn't believe that's what I really
    >>> wanted and it ignored me.
    >>>

    >> Shift Reload is supposed to do a cache over ride and re-pull the
    >> source file.
    >>

    > As I understand it, the HTML page she was viewing did bypass the cache;
    > when she viewed the source, apparently she got a cached copy.
    >
    > Irwin

    If that is the case then I think there is a bug present as the View Source
    should be the same as the active Tab/Window page.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

  19. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> T-bird Leader The Real Bev radioed the tower On 4/17/2006 6:56 PM:

    >>> Exactly. Save a bookmark containing an apostrophe and there it was.
    >>> I could edit them out with the bookmark manager, but that's a pain to
    >>> use if you want to change 40 or 50 instances. Deleting the cache
    >>> enabled the corrections to be seen -- Even though I hit RELOAD
    >>> mutliple times, I guess it doesn't believe that's what I really wanted
    >>> and it ignored me.

    >> Shift Reload is supposed to do a cache over ride and re-pull the source
    >> file.

    You'd think...

    > As I understand it, the HTML page she was viewing did bypass the cache;
    > when she viewed the source, apparently she got a cached copy.

    That's what I thought, but it's not the whole answer. I cleared out the
    cache, shut down FF, deleted all other bookmark backups, edited out the
    nasties with a text editor, called up FF...and there they were, all back
    again. THEY'RE JUST LABELS. WTF? So I edited a dozen or so with the
    bookmark manager and the apostrophes stuck.

    It doesn't feel good to lose a battle of wills with a lousy text file :-(

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo
    "Few skills are so well rewarded as the ability to convince
    parasites that they are victims." --Thomas Sowell

  20. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Ron K. wrote:

    > T-bird Leader Irwin Greenwald radioed the tower On 4/17/2006 11:13 PM:
    >
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> T-bird Leader The Real Bev radioed the tower On 4/17/2006 6:56 PM:

    >>> Shift Reload is supposed to do a cache over ride and re-pull the
    >>> source file.
    >>>

    >> As I understand it, the HTML page she was viewing did bypass the cache;
    >> when she viewed the source, apparently she got a cached copy.

    > If that is the case then I think there is a bug present as the View Source
    > should be the same as the active Tab/Window page.

    It is. The real question is where do all the nasties come from when I
    THINK I've eradicated the cache and every single instance of
    bookmarks.html and its backups except the one I'm editing? SOMETHING
    stuffs them back in and then insists on showing them in the displayed page.