Weird HTML thingy - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Weird HTML thingy - Mozilla ; Q wrote: > The Real Bev wrote: > >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote: >> >>> Have you given any thought to the fact that mozilla may be hard >>> coded to escape apostrophes in urls? >> >> Yes I have, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 44 of 44

  1. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Q wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >>
    >>> Have you given any thought to the fact that mozilla may be hard
    >>> coded to escape apostrophes in urls?

    >> Yes I have, but wouldn't that be stupid? Would I be the first
    >> person on earth to be annoyed by it? I don't like to think that
    >> those people are stupid...

    > It does seem silly to escape them, as they're just 7-bit characters,
    > but that seems to be what Firefox is doing. My bookmarks.html is full
    > of encoded apostrophes, but they are correctly displayed as apostrophes
    > when I load the view the page in Firefox. I don't understand why they
    > display otherwise for you, and I can't reproduce it.

    I would suspect it was just another of those windows/linux anomalies
    were it not for the fact that my FF 1.5.0.2/windows does exactly the
    same thing. I haven't gone through the edit/clear/kill/restart process,
    but a fresh boot ought to do the same thing...

    So (in both linux and windows) I clicked on one of my bookmark entries
    with a nasty in the label and made a new bookmark. The new one shows
    the nasty in the 'view code' window but displays an apostrophe in the
    new entry. Remember, if I make changes with the Bookmark Manager, they
    work too.

    AAARRRGGGHHH!

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in
    poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are
    apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Emo Philips

  2. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Q wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote in
    > uCdnWoLKrx3IdjZnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org>:
    >
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >>
    >>> Have you given any thought to the fact that mozilla may be hard
    >>> coded to escape apostrophes in urls?

    >> Yes I have, but wouldn't that be stupid? Would I be the first
    >> person on earth to be annoyed by it? I don't like to think that
    >> those people are stupid...

    > It does seem silly to escape them, as they're just 7-bit characters,
    > but that seems to be what Firefox is doing. My bookmarks.html is full
    > of encoded apostrophes, but they are correctly displayed as apostrophes
    > when I load the view the page in Firefox. I don't understand why they
    > display otherwise for you, and I can't reproduce it.

    There seems to be only one reason to do this on a routine basis. When
    using javascript apostrophes must be escaped as they are used as delimiters.

    Rinaldi
    --
    Aphorism, n.:
    A concise, clever statement.

  3. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:

    >> Have you given any thought to the fact that mozilla may be hard coded
    >> to escape apostrophes in urls?

    > Yes I have, but wouldn't that be stupid? Would I be the first person on
    > earth to be annoyed by it? I don't like to think that those people are
    > stupid...

    Just occurred to me. What character encoding are you set for?

    Tools>>Options>>Content>>Advanced

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  4. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >>> Have you given any thought to the fact that mozilla may be hard coded
    >>> to escape apostrophes in urls?

    >> Yes I have, but wouldn't that be stupid? Would I be the first person on
    >> earth to be annoyed by it? I don't like to think that those people are
    >> stupid...
    >>

    > Just occurred to me. What character encoding are you set for?
    >
    > Tools>>Options>>Content>>Advanced

    Western (ISO-8859-1), but I tried the other Western enclodings, Unicode
    (UTF-8) and Chinese Simplified. No difference.

    "They redundantly repeated themselves ove. Ohd over again
    incessantly without end ad infinitum" -- ibid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3