Weird HTML thingy - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Weird HTML thingy - Mozilla ; On 17.04.2006 21:49, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev to generate the following:? : > squaredancer wrote: > >> On 17.04.2006 07:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real >> Bev to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

  1. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    On 17.04.2006 21:49, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
    to generate the following:? :

    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 17.04.2006 07:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real
    >> Bev to generate the following:? :

    >>> That's not functionally different from calling up the bookmark
    >>> manager. I edit out the nasties with bookmark manager, reload the
    >>> bookmark page (in an ordinary window, not the 'bookmarks' functions)
    >>> and lo and behold the change has taken place. If I then 'view
    >>> source' on that page, the nasties are still there. It takes too
    >>> long to use the actual bookmark function, especially when I have
    >>> thousands of bookmarks. Just looking at the html page is much more
    >>> efficient.
    >>>
    >>> WTF is happening? Are there actually two files?
    >>>

    >> hmmmm - "not funtionally different" ??? oh, but yes! and *much*
    >> faster!

    > Mais non, pas de difference!
    >
    >> I presume therefore, you don't have the BM-Sidebar opened, and don't
    >> use it's "functionility".

    > No, I don't. I brought it up just because of your recommendation.
    > Looking at an alphabetical list of bookmarks is very nearly useless --
    > I have the page that I look at organized in some fashion, but
    > alphabetical sure isn't it.

    create "functional" folders, grab and drag the individual BMs into those
    folders, grab and drag the folders to the order *YOU* want them....
    *all* done in the sidebar!

    reg

  2. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >> T-bird Leader Irwin Greenwald radioed the tower On 4/17/2006 11:13 PM:

    >>> As I understand it, the HTML page she was viewing did bypass the
    >>> cache; when she viewed the source, apparently she got a cached copy.

    >> If that is the case then I think there is a bug present as the View
    >> Source should be the same as the active Tab/Window page.

    > It is. The real question is where do all the nasties come from when I
    > THINK I've eradicated the cache and every single instance of
    > bookmarks.html and its backups except the one I'm editing? SOMETHING
    > stuffs them back in and then insists on showing them in the displayed page.

    Let me get this straight:
    1. You edit bookmarks.
    2. You save the edited bookmarks.
    3. You clear the cache (both HD *and* memory). Note: when you clear the
    cache in FF, the currently displayed page will remain in the memory cache.
    4. You display the saved bookmarks in FF and they have reverted to pre
    edited form?

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  3. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >>Ron K. wrote:
    >>

    >>>T-bird Leader Irwin Greenwald radioed the tower On 4/17/2006 11:13 PM:

    >>>If that is the case then I think there is a bug present as the View
    >>>Source should be the same as the active Tab/Window page.

    >>It is. The real question is where do all the nasties come from when I
    >>THINK I've eradicated the cache and every single instance of
    >>bookmarks.html and its backups except the one I'm editing? SOMETHING
    >>stuffs them back in and then insists on showing them in the displayed page.
    >>

    > Let me get this straight:
    > 1. You edit bookmarks.
    > 2. You save the edited bookmarks.
    > 3. You clear the cache (both HD *and* memory). Note: when you clear the
    > cache in FF, the currently displayed page will remain in the memory cache.
    > 4. You display the saved bookmarks in FF and they have reverted to pre
    > edited form?
    >
    > Irwin

    After reading what you said, it sounds to me like she's not closing FF
    when doing the editing

    --
    Things to Ponder about: Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the
    carpool lane?

  4. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    gwtc wrote:

    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>>It is. The real question is where do all the nasties come from when I
    >>>THINK I've eradicated the cache and every single instance of
    >>>bookmarks.html and its backups except the one I'm editing? SOMETHING
    >>>stuffs them back in and then insists on showing them in the displayed page.

    >> Let me get this straight:

    "You killed and ate BOTH of the children?"

    >> 1. You edit bookmarks.
    >> 2. You save the edited bookmarks.
    >> 3. You clear the cache (both HD *and* memory). Note: when you clear the
    >> cache in FF, the currently displayed page will remain in the memory cache.

    Ouch. I didn't clear the memory cache. Would FF have grabbed that
    instead of the file on disk? That's sick. Does somebody have a weird
    sense of humor? OK, I'll try that and report back.

    >> 4. You display the saved bookmarks in FF and they have reverted to pre
    >> edited form?

    Yup.

    >> Irwin
    >>

    > After reading what you said, it sounds to me like she's not closing FF
    > when doing the editing

    Bad guess. I did that a couple of times, and then wised up.

    1. Clear cache.
    2. Close FF.
    3. Make sure cache is indeed empty.
    3a. Delete all backup bookmark files
    4. Edit bookmarks.html, changing all nasties to apostrophes.
    5. Save file.
    6. Check bookmarks file with different editor. No nasties.
    7. Open FF.
    8. Observe nasties on bookmarks.html (home page)

    I'll try clearing the memory cache.

    I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock
    every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there
    picking the locks, they are always locking three.

  5. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> Let me get this straight:

    > "You killed and ate BOTH of the children?"
    >
    >>> 1. You edit bookmarks.
    >>> 2. You save the edited bookmarks.
    >>> 3. You clear the cache (both HD *and* memory). Note: when you clear the
    >>> cache in FF, the currently displayed page will remain in the memory cache.

    > Ouch. I didn't clear the memory cache. Would FF have grabbed that
    > instead of the file on disk? That's sick. Does somebody have a weird
    > sense of humor? OK, I'll try that and report back.
    >
    >>> 4. You display the saved bookmarks in FF and they have reverted to pre
    >>> edited form?

    > Yup.
    >
    >>> Irwin
    >>>

    >> After reading what you said, it sounds to me like she's not closing FF
    >> when doing the editing

    > Bad guess. I did that a couple of times, and then wised up.
    >
    > 1. Clear cache.
    > 2. Close FF.
    > 3. Make sure cache is indeed empty.
    > 3a. Delete all backup bookmark files
    > 4. Edit bookmarks.html, changing all nasties to apostrophes.
    > 5. Save file.
    > 6. Check bookmarks file with different editor. No nasties.
    > 7. Open FF.
    > 8. Observe nasties on bookmarks.html (home page)
    >
    > I'll try clearing the memory cache.

    Did everything except clear the memory cache, and the nasties came back.
    I couldn't find any mention of memory cache at all, or how it might be
    cleared. There were no firefox processes running. Next attempt is to
    do a complete reboot. That's so damn windows-like it makes me queasy,
    but I'm strong, I can do it....

  6. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Did everything except clear the memory cache, and the nasties came back.
    > I couldn't find any mention of memory cache at all, or how it might be
    > cleared. There were no firefox processes running. Next attempt is to
    > do a complete reboot. That's so damn windows-like it makes me queasy,
    > but I'm strong, I can do it....

    If you were using Mozilla Suite or Seamonkey, then I could tell you
    how to clear the memory

    --
    Things to Ponder about: Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the
    carpool lane?

  7. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >> "You killed and ate BOTH of the children?"

    >> Ouch. I didn't clear the memory cache. Would FF have grabbed that
    >> instead of the file on disk? That's sick. Does somebody have a weird
    >> sense of humor? OK, I'll try that and report back.

    >> Yup.

    >>> After reading what you said, it sounds to me like she's not closing FF
    >>> when doing the editing

    >> Bad guess. I did that a couple of times, and then wised up.
    >>
    >> 1. Clear cache.
    >> 2. Close FF.
    >> 3. Make sure cache is indeed empty.
    >> 3a. Delete all backup bookmark files
    >> 4. Edit bookmarks.html, changing all nasties to apostrophes.
    >> 5. Save file.
    >> 6. Check bookmarks file with different editor. No nasties.
    >> 7. Open FF.
    >> 8. Observe nasties on bookmarks.html (home page)
    >>
    >> I'll try clearing the memory cache.

    > Did everything except clear the memory cache, and the nasties came back.
    > I couldn't find any mention of memory cache at all, or how it might be
    > cleared. There were no firefox processes running. Next attempt is to
    > do a complete reboot. That's so damn windows-like it makes me queasy,
    > but I'm strong, I can do it....

    Cleared cache and set cache size to 0 before I closed FF. Rebooted.
    Opened FF. Nasties are right there, all 51 of them. BUT if I look at
    are no nasties. None at all. I got rid of them all, along with any
    file or memory bit that might have still contained them, but FF still
    sees them.

    I'm going to close FF and see what that does to the bookmark file(s)...
    FF has replaced the apostrophes with nasties in the .html file and the
    ..bak file, which files are identical.

    I give up. FF is reinterpreting apostrophes as nasties and then saving
    the reinterpretation. I can find no other explanation and I'm tired of
    bashing my head against this particular wall.

  8. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    gwtc wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> Did everything except clear the memory cache, and the nasties came back.
    >> I couldn't find any mention of memory cache at all, or how it might be
    >> cleared. There were no firefox processes running. Next attempt is to
    >> do a complete reboot. That's so damn windows-like it makes me queasy,
    >> but I'm strong, I can do it....
    >>

    > If you were using Mozilla Suite or Seamonkey, then I could tell you
    > how to clear the memory

    Then that function is actually absent in FF?

    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    "We're from the Government. We're here to help."

  9. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >

    >>The Real Bev wrote:
    >>

    >>>Did everything except clear the memory cache, and the nasties came back.
    >>>I couldn't find any mention of memory cache at all, or how it might be
    >>>cleared. There were no firefox processes running. Next attempt is to
    >>>do a complete reboot. That's so damn windows-like it makes me queasy,
    >>>but I'm strong, I can do it....
    >>>

    >>If you were using Mozilla Suite or Seamonkey, then I could tell you
    >>how to clear the memory

    > Then that function is actually absent in FF?

    sort of. You need the extension Multizilla, which is only available
    for Moz and SM

    --
    Things to Ponder about: Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the
    carpool lane?

  10. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >

    >>The Real Bev wrote:

    >>>Then that function is actually absent in FF?
    >>>

    >>sort of. You need the extension Multizilla, which is only available
    >>for Moz and SM

    > Aarrgghh. OK, WHO was the je^H^Hhelpful person who suggested I clear
    > the memory cache?

    wasn't me!

    --
    Things to Ponder about: Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the
    carpool lane?

  11. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > 1. Clear cache.
    > 2. Close FF.
    > 3. Make sure cache is indeed empty.
    > 3a. Delete all backup bookmark files
    > 4. Edit bookmarks.html, changing all nasties to apostrophes.
    > 5. Save file.

    Are you sure it's being saved as bookmarks.html ?????????????????????

    > 6. Check bookmarks file with different editor. No nasties.

    This would seem to indicate a "yes" answer, but maybe the culprit is the
    second editor??

    > 7. Open FF.
    > 8. Observe nasties on bookmarks.html (home page)
    >
    > I'll try clearing the memory cache.

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  12. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Then that function is actually absent in FF?
    >>>

    >> sort of. You need the extension Multizilla, which is only available
    >> for Moz and SM

    > Aarrgghh. OK, WHO was the je^H^Hhelpful person who suggested I clear
    > the memory cache?

    I did. prefbar[1] allows clearing memory cache but I don't know if it's
    available for Linux.

    [1]http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  13. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Then that function is actually absent in FF?
    >>>

    >> sort of. You need the extension Multizilla, which is only available
    >> for Moz and SM

    > Aarrgghh. OK, WHO was the je^H^Hhelpful person who suggested I clear
    > the memory cache?

    You could try about:cache to see what's there.

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  14. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> 1. Clear cache.
    >> 2. Close FF.
    >> 3. Make sure cache is indeed empty.
    >> 3a. Delete all backup bookmark files
    >> 4. Edit bookmarks.html, changing all nasties to apostrophes.
    >> 5. Save file.

    > Are you sure it's being saved as bookmarks.html ?????????????????????

    Yes.

    >> 6. Check bookmarks file with different editor. No nasties.

    > This would seem to indicate a "yes" answer, but maybe the culprit is the
    > second editor??

    Nope. Pico is pretty damn basic and doesn't save unless you tell it to
    and doesn't make backups. I look, search and close without saving. I
    used gedit to make the changes, and saved twice to make sure its backup
    was the same as the edited file. Yes, I checked.

    >> 7. Open FF.
    >> 8. Observe nasties on bookmarks.html (home page)
    >>
    >> I'll try clearing the memory cache.

    ....which is apparently impossible in FF :-( A complete reboot made no
    difference. I'm glad I'm not an 'uptime' freak.

    If you are going to try cross-country skiing,
    start with a small country.

  15. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> sort of. You need the extension Multizilla, which is only available
    >>> for Moz and SM

    >> Aarrgghh. OK, WHO was the je^H^Hhelpful person who suggested I clear
    >> the memory cache?
    >>

    > I did. prefbar[1] allows clearing memory cache but I don't know if it's
    > available for Linux.
    >
    > [1]http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    It is. I installed it. I cleared both disk and memory cache. Checked
    with about:cache. One more try :-(
    ..
    ..
    ..
    Same result. Nasties shown, none on 'view source'. Prefs bar is nice,
    so I'm at least ahead of the game. It's just so un-linux-like to be
    unable to edit a controlling text file with an editor. It's not like
    I'm trying to do anything clever...

    Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for
    anything, but they still bring a smile to your face
    when you push them down a flight of stairs.

  16. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Aarrgghh. OK, WHO was the je^H^Hhelpful person who suggested I clear
    >>> the memory cache?
    >>>

    >> I did. prefbar[1] allows clearing memory cache but I don't know if it's
    >> available for Linux.
    >>
    >> [1]http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    > It is. I installed it. I cleared both disk and memory cache. Checked
    > with about:cache. One more try :-(
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > Same result. Nasties shown, none on 'view source'. Prefs bar is nice,
    > so I'm at least ahead of the game. It's just so un-linux-like to be
    > unable to edit a controlling text file with an editor. It's not like
    > I'm trying to do anything clever...

    Have you given any thought to the fact that mozilla may be hard coded to
    escape apostrophes in urls?

    Rinaldi
    --
    Aphorism, n.:
    A concise, clever statement.

  17. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> I did. prefbar[1] allows clearing memory cache but I don't know if it's
    >>> available for Linux.
    >>>
    >>> [1]http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    >> It is. I installed it. I cleared both disk and memory cache. Checked
    >> with about:cache. One more try :-(
    >> .
    >> Same result. Nasties shown, none on 'view source'. Prefs bar is nice,
    >> so I'm at least ahead of the game. It's just so un-linux-like to be
    >> unable to edit a controlling text file with an editor. It's not like
    >> I'm trying to do anything clever...

    > Have you given any thought to the fact that mozilla may be hard coded to
    > escape apostrophes in urls?

    Yes I have, but wouldn't that be stupid? Would I be the first person on
    earth to be annoyed by it? I don't like to think that those people are
    stupid...

    Is the Pope Catholic? Do bears **** in the woods?
    Does Rose Kennedy have a black dress?

  18. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote in
    uCdnWoLKrx3IdjZnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org>:

    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> Have you given any thought to the fact that mozilla may be hard
    >> coded to escape apostrophes in urls?

    > Yes I have, but wouldn't that be stupid? Would I be the first
    > person on earth to be annoyed by it? I don't like to think that
    > those people are stupid...

    It does seem silly to escape them, as they're just 7-bit characters,
    but that seems to be what Firefox is doing. My bookmarks.html is full
    of encoded apostrophes, but they are correctly displayed as apostrophes
    when I load the view the page in Firefox. I don't understand why they
    display otherwise for you, and I can't reproduce it.

  19. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >> "You killed and ate BOTH of the children?"

    >> Ouch. I didn't clear the memory cache. Would FF have grabbed that
    >> instead of the file on disk? That's sick. Does somebody have a weird
    >> sense of humor? OK, I'll try that and report back.

    >> Yup.

    >>> After reading what you said, it sounds to me like she's not closing
    >>> FF when doing the editing

    >> Bad guess. I did that a couple of times, and then wised up.
    >>
    >> 1. Clear cache.
    >> 2. Close FF.
    >> 3. Make sure cache is indeed empty.
    >> 3a. Delete all backup bookmark files
    >> 4. Edit bookmarks.html, changing all nasties to apostrophes.
    >> 5. Save file.
    >> 6. Check bookmarks file with different editor. No nasties.
    >> 7. Open FF.
    >> 8. Observe nasties on bookmarks.html (home page)
    >>
    >> I'll try clearing the memory cache.

    > Did everything except clear the memory cache, and the nasties came back.
    > I couldn't find any mention of memory cache at all, or how it might be
    > cleared. There were no firefox processes running. Next attempt is to
    > do a complete reboot. That's so damn windows-like it makes me queasy,
    > but I'm strong, I can do it....

    Change font.

  20. Re: Weird HTML thingy

    On 19.04.2006 07:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Q to
    generate the following:? :

    >The Real Bev wrote in
    >uCdnWoLKrx3IdjZnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org>:
    >

    >>Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >>

    >>>Have you given any thought to the fact that mozilla may be hard
    >>>coded to escape apostrophes in urls?
    >>>

    >>Yes I have, but wouldn't that be stupid? Would I be the first
    >>person on earth to be annoyed by it? I don't like to think that
    >>those people are stupid...
    >>

    >It does seem silly to escape them, as they're just 7-bit characters,
    >but that seems to be what Firefox is doing. My bookmarks.html is full
    >of encoded apostrophes, but they are correctly displayed as apostrophes
    >when I load the view the page in Firefox. I don't understand why they
    >display otherwise for you, and I can't reproduce it.

    in my BM.html, this line is included for my referred "Hogan's Heroes"
    folder:

    ID="NC:BookmarksRoot#$7a325d21">Hogan's Heroes

    As you can see, the apostrophe is OK!
    This was copied from a normal Notepad WIN-editor

    reg