Popups that are not popups - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Popups that are not popups - Mozilla ; I have AdBlock enables and am blocking pop-ups in FF, but from time to time, I get a medium sized pop-up window apearing. (v1.5, Win XP Pro). Have I got something misconfigured or do I need an additional extension? Thx ...

  1. Popups that are not popups

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    "Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a peeing area in a pool." - Thomas Pfeffer, American Heart Association

  2. Re: Popups that are not popups

    On 3/29/2006 2:19 PM On a whim, Pete Holsberg pounded out on the keyboard

    > I have AdBlock enables and am blocking pop-ups in FF, but from time to time, I get a medium sized pop-up window apearing. (v1.5, Win XP Pro).
    >
    > Have I got something misconfigured or do I need an additional extension?
    >
    > Thx

    Hi Pete,

    Do you have a URL where this is happening?

    --
    Terry

  3. Re: Popups that are not popups

    Terry wrote:
    > On 3/29/2006 2:19 PM On a whim, Pete Holsberg pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> I have AdBlock enables and am blocking pop-ups in FF, but from time to time, I get a medium sized pop-up window apearing. (v1.5, Win XP Pro).
    >>
    >> Have I got something misconfigured or do I need an additional extension?
    >>
    >> Thx
    >>

    > Hi Pete,
    >
    > Do you have a URL where this is happening?

    It may be accuweather.com or possibly wunderground.com.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    "Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a peeing area in a pool." - Thomas Pfeffer, American Heart Association

  4. Re: Popups that are not popups

    On 3/29/2006 4:15 PM On a whim, Pete Holsberg pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry wrote:
    >> On 3/29/2006 2:19 PM On a whim, Pete Holsberg pounded out on the keyboard
    >>
    >>> I have AdBlock enables and am blocking pop-ups in FF, but from time to time, I get a medium sized pop-up window apearing. (v1.5, Win XP Pro).
    >>>
    >>> Have I got something misconfigured or do I need an additional extension?
    >>>
    >>> Thx
    >>>

    >> Hi Pete,
    >>
    >> Do you have a URL where this is happening?
    >>

    > It may be accuweather.com or possibly wunderground.com.

    Didn't get any from wunderground.com. Accuweather.com tried a popup but
    it was blocked by FF. I don't have any other blocking extensions
    installed other than what is built into FF.

    --
    Terry

  5. Re: Popups that are not popups

    Terry wrote:
    > On 3/29/2006 4:15 PM On a whim, Pete Holsberg pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> On 3/29/2006 2:19 PM On a whim, Pete Holsberg pounded out on the keyboard

    >>> Hi Pete,
    >>>
    >>> Do you have a URL where this is happening?
    >>>

    >> It may be accuweather.com or possibly wunderground.com.
    >>

    > Didn't get any from wunderground.com. Accuweather.com tried a popup but
    > it was blocked by FF. I don't have any other blocking extensions
    > installed other than what is built into FF.

    How long did you wait?

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    "Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a peeing area in a pool." - Thomas Pfeffer, American Heart Association

  6. Re: Popups that are not popups

    On 3/29/2006 4:42 PM On a whim, Pete Holsberg pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry wrote:

    >>> It may be accuweather.com or possibly wunderground.com.
    >>>

    >> Didn't get any from wunderground.com. Accuweather.com tried a popup but
    >> it was blocked by FF. I don't have any other blocking extensions
    >> installed other than what is built into FF.

    > How long did you wait?

    AW I clicked around a bit until I saw the blocking banner. WUG same
    thing but nothing.

    --
    Terry

  7. Re: Popups that are not popups

    Terry wrote:
    > On 3/29/2006 4:42 PM On a whim, Pete Holsberg pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> On 3/29/2006 4:15 PM On a whim, Pete Holsberg pounded out on the keyboard

    >>> Didn't get any from wunderground.com. Accuweather.com tried a popup but
    >>> it was blocked by FF. I don't have any other blocking extensions
    >>> installed other than what is built into FF.

    >> How long did you wait?
    >>

    > AW I clicked around a bit until I saw the blocking banner. WUG same
    > thing but nothing.

    I run them both in the bg all the time and sometimes I get a pop-up.

    In any case, how do I block a "new window" pop-up?

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    "Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a peeing area in a pool." - Thomas Pfeffer, American Heart Association

  8. Re: Popups that are not popups

    On 3/29/2006 5:09 PM On a whim, Pete Holsberg pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry wrote:

    >>> How long did you wait?
    >>>

    >> AW I clicked around a bit until I saw the blocking banner. WUG same
    >> thing but nothing.

    > I run them both in the bg all the time and sometimes I get a pop-up.
    >
    > In any case, how do I block a "new window" pop-up?

    Check to see if the site is in your "Allowed" list. Tools, Options,
    Content, then click the button "Allowed Sites". If not, it might be a
    JS popup. Click the "Advanced" button on the same dialog and uncheck all
    of the options to see if that helps.

    --
    Terry

  9. Re: Popups that are not popups

    Terry wrote:
    > On 3/29/2006 5:09 PM On a whim, Pete Holsberg pounded out on the
    > keyboard
    >
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> On 3/29/2006 4:42 PM On a whim, Pete Holsberg pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    >>> AW I clicked around a bit until I saw the blocking banner. WUG
    >>> same thing but nothing.

    >> I run them both in the bg all the time and sometimes I get a
    >> pop-up.
    >>
    >> In any case, how do I block a "new window" pop-up?
    >>

    > Check to see if the site is in your "Allowed" list. Tools, Options,
    > Content, then click the button "Allowed Sites".

    It was!! Darn!!

    > If not, it might be a JS popup. Click the "Advanced" button on the
    > same dialog and uncheck all of the options to see if that helps.

    They were.

    Let's see if removing them from the approved list helps.

    Thanks.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    "Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a peeing area in a pool." - Thomas Pfeffer, American Heart Association

+ Reply to Thread