Opening a .DOC - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Opening a .DOC - Mozilla ; I have a web page that points to some .XML and .DOC files. I can click on it, and get a dialog to open the .XML file, but it doesn't understand the .DOC file. How can I get it to ...

  1. Opening a .DOC

    I have a web page that points to some .XML and .DOC files. I can
    click on it, and get a dialog to open the .XML file, but it doesn't
    understand the .DOC file.

    How can I get it to understand both (short of using I.E.)?

    Is there a way to avoid the dialog box?

    I looked at Actions/Downloads/View and Edit Actions, but that didn't
    help me.

  2. Re: Opening a .DOC

    Howard Brazee wrote:
    > I have a web page that points to some .XML and .DOC files. I can
    > click on it, and get a dialog to open the .XML file, but it doesn't
    > understand the .DOC file.
    >
    > How can I get it to understand both (short of using I.E.)?
    >
    > Is there a way to avoid the dialog box?
    >

    > I looked at Actions/Downloads/View and Edit Actions, but that didn't
    > help me.

    click on the doc file
    The dialogue telling you that Firefox doesnt understand the file is the
    means of setting a helper application.
    Choose to download to disk, or open with a specific application and then
    *important* check the 'Remember' (apply this to all files of this type
    in future) box
    A helper application is created in the list

+ Reply to Thread