New.net Quick! Search Scam - Mozilla

This is a discussion on New.net Quick! Search Scam - Mozilla ; This extension installed itself without warning or permission, invisibly, globally, into my program/extensions directory. I found it listed in my Extensions Manager. (New.net Quick! Search) Here are the contents of its install.rdf: xmlns:em="http://www.mozilla.org/2004/em-rdf#"> escription RDF:about="urn:mozilla:install-manifest"> {AF8637B0-18E3-44D3-86B7-55E09D9C4261} New.net Quick! Search 7.22 ...

  1. New.net Quick! Search Scam

    This extension installed itself without warning or permission,
    invisibly, globally, into my program/extensions directory.

    I found it listed in my Extensions Manager. (New.net Quick! Search)

    Here are the contents of its install.rdf:

    xmlns:em="http://www.mozilla.org/2004/em-rdf#">

    escription RDF:about="urn:mozilla:install-manifest">

    {AF8637B0-18E3-44D3-86B7-55E09D9C4261}
    New.net Quick! Search
    7.22
    Quick! search directly from URL bar
    New.net, Inc.
    http://www.new.net/

    escription RDF:about="urn:mozilla:extension:file:quick.jar">
    ackage>content/quick/ackage>
    escription>

    escription>
    {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
    0.9
    1.5+
    escription>

    escription>

    It hooks into the location bar to search from there and load a link from
    Google (not my default search engine). This was never there before
    yesterday.

    I'm super curious how it got past my security settings. I use Firefox
    1.5.0.1 on Windows 98. I have the option set to be warned when websites
    attempt to install software. The only unusual thing in my Exceptions is
    a listing I put there for macrozilla.mozdev.org . The only thing unusual
    about that is there was no xpi to install on the site and I never took
    it off my exceptions list. I'm not really concerned what site might have
    installed it (curious still anyway) but how could it be installed over
    my security settings?

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: New.net Quick! Search Scam

    _Alan Beaman_ spoke thusly on 03/03/2006 5:46 PM:
    > This extension installed itself without warning or permission,
    > invisibly, globally, into my program/extensions directory.

    Run this by the folks in mozilla.dev.tech.xpinstall.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: New.net Quick! Search Scam

    Alan Beaman wrote:

    > This extension installed itself without warning or permission,
    > invisibly, globally, into my program/extensions directory.
    >
    > I found it listed in my Extensions Manager. (New.net Quick! Search)
    >
    > Here are the contents of its install.rdf:
    >

    > > xmlns:em="http://www.mozilla.org/2004/em-rdf#">
    >
    > escription RDF:about="urn:mozilla:install-manifest">
    >
    > {AF8637B0-18E3-44D3-86B7-55E09D9C4261}
    > New.net Quick! Search
    > 7.22
    > Quick! search directly from URL bar
    > New.net, Inc.
    > http://www.new.net/
    >
    > escription RDF:about="urn:mozilla:extension:file:quick.jar">
    > ackage>content/quick/ackage>

    escription>

    > escription>
    > {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
    > 0.9
    > 1.5+

    escription>

    escription>

    > It hooks into the location bar to search from there and load a link from
    > Google (not my default search engine). This was never there before
    > yesterday.
    >
    > I'm super curious how it got past my security settings. I use Firefox
    > 1.5.0.1 on Windows 98. I have the option set to be warned when websites
    > attempt to install software. The only unusual thing in my Exceptions is
    > a listing I put there for macrozilla.mozdev.org . The only thing unusual
    > about that is there was no xpi to install on the site and I never took
    > it off my exceptions list. I'm not really concerned what site might have
    > installed it (curious still anyway) but how could it be installed over
    > my security settings?
    >
    > Any ideas?

    you must have installed it yourself at one time and forgot:
    http://www.new.net/

  4. Re: New.net Quick! Search Scam

    gwtc wrote:
    > Alan Beaman wrote:
    >
    >> This extension installed itself without warning or permission,
    >> invisibly, globally, into my program/extensions directory.
    >>
    >> I found it listed in my Extensions Manager. (New.net Quick! Search)
    >>
    >> Here are the contents of its install.rdf:

    >> escription RDF:about="urn:mozilla:install-manifest">
    >>
    >> {AF8637B0-18E3-44D3-86B7-55E09D9C4261}
    >> New.net Quick! Search
    >> 7.22
    >> Quick! search directly from URL
    >> bar

    >> New.net, Inc.
    >> http://www.new.net/
    >>
    >> escription
    >> RDF:about="urn:mozilla:extension:file:quick.jar">
    >> ackage>content/quick/ackage>

    escription>

    >> escription>
    >> {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
    >> 0.9
    >> 1.5+

    escription>

    escription>

    >> It hooks into the location bar to search from there and load a link
    >> from Google (not my default search engine). This was never there
    >> before yesterday.
    >>
    >> I'm super curious how it got past my security settings. I use Firefox
    >> 1.5.0.1 on Windows 98. I have the option set to be warned when
    >> websites attempt to install software. The only unusual thing in my
    >> Exceptions is a listing I put there for macrozilla.mozdev.org . The
    >> only thing unusual about that is there was no xpi to install on the
    >> site and I never took it off my exceptions list. I'm not really
    >> concerned what site might have installed it (curious still anyway) but
    >> how could it be installed over my security settings?
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > you must have installed it yourself at one time and forgot:
    > http://www.new.net/

    I found out that the extension was installed by the NewDotNet software
    which was bundled unannounced inside something else; so it didn't come
    through Firefox and Firefox security was irrelevant.

  5. Re: New.net Quick! Search Scam

    On 3/4/2006 7:24 AM Pacific Time, Alan Beaman wrote thusly:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Alan Beaman wrote:
    >>
    >>> This extension installed itself without warning or permission,
    >>> invisibly, globally, into my program/extensions directory.
    >>>
    >>> I found it listed in my Extensions Manager. (New.net Quick! Search)
    >>>
    >>> Here are the contents of its install.rdf:

    >>> escription RDF:about="urn:mozilla:install-manifest">
    >>>
    >>> {AF8637B0-18E3-44D3-86B7-55E09D9C4261}
    >>> New.net Quick! Search
    >>> 7.22
    >>> Quick! search directly from URL
    >>> bar

    >>> New.net, Inc.
    >>> http://www.new.net/
    >>>
    >>> escription
    >>> RDF:about="urn:mozilla:extension:file:quick.jar">
    >>> ackage>content/quick/ackage>

    escription>

    >>> escription>
    >>> {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
    >>> 0.9
    >>> 1.5+

    escription>

    escription>

    >>> It hooks into the location bar to search from there and load a link
    >>> from Google (not my default search engine). This was never there
    >>> before yesterday.
    >>>
    >>> I'm super curious how it got past my security settings. I use Firefox
    >>> 1.5.0.1 on Windows 98. I have the option set to be warned when
    >>> websites attempt to install software. The only unusual thing in my
    >>> Exceptions is a listing I put there for macrozilla.mozdev.org . The
    >>> only thing unusual about that is there was no xpi to install on the
    >>> site and I never took it off my exceptions list. I'm not really
    >>> concerned what site might have installed it (curious still anyway)
    >>> but how could it be installed over my security settings?
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> you must have installed it yourself at one time and forgot:
    >> http://www.new.net/

    > I found out that the extension was installed by the NewDotNet software
    > which was bundled unannounced inside something else; so it didn't come
    > through Firefox and Firefox security was irrelevant.

    Alan,
    I saw that "new dot.net" installed on someone's computer (I can't
    remember whose) and figured it was Microsoft's. Turned out to be
    something else that came bundled. I don't remember what it was now.
    See http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=270 and
    http://www.newdotnet.net/removal.html

    Barbara

+ Reply to Thread