Changing Firefox Proxy from external Application - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Changing Firefox Proxy from external Application - Mozilla ; Hi, I am currently troubling my mind on this problem. I want to change the Proxy of Firefox from my program. This is no problem if Firefox is not running, as I can then edit the prefs. js file manually. ...

  1. Changing Firefox Proxy from external Application

    Hi,

    I am currently troubling my mind on this problem. I want to change the
    Proxy of Firefox from my program. This is no problem if Firefox is not
    running, as I can then edit the prefs.js file manually.

    But if Firefox is running this does not work. Is there a way to call
    Firefox to set some settings?
    Or is there a different way to achieve this without closing firefox in
    between?

    many thanks in advance

    regards,
    Philip

  2. Re: Changing Firefox Proxy from external Application

    Philip Chinery wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am currently troubling my mind on this problem. I want to change the
    > Proxy of Firefox from my program. This is no problem if Firefox is not
    > running, as I can then edit the prefs.js file manually.
    >
    > But if Firefox is running this does not work. Is there a way to call
    > Firefox to set some settings?
    > Or is there a different way to achieve this without closing firefox in
    > between?
    >
    > many thanks in advance
    >
    > regards,
    > Philip

    Enter about:config in the location bar in Firefox and filter for the
    preference you are changing in your prefs.js file. Or, in Firefox do
    Tools - Options - General tab - Connection Settings. I don't use
    proxies but I'm guessing you may have to restart Firefox for the change
    to take effect.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  3. Re: Changing Firefox Proxy from external Application

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Philip Chinery wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am currently troubling my mind on this problem. I want to change the
    >> Proxy of Firefox from my program. This is no problem if Firefox is not
    >> running, as I can then edit the prefs.js file manually.
    >>
    >> But if Firefox is running this does not work. Is there a way to call
    >> Firefox to set some settings?
    >> Or is there a different way to achieve this without closing firefox in
    >> between?
    >>
    >> many thanks in advance
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> Philip

    > Enter about:config in the location bar in Firefox and filter for the
    > preference you are changing in your prefs.js file. Or, in Firefox do
    > Tools - Options - General tab - Connection Settings. I don't use
    > proxies but I'm guessing you may have to restart Firefox for the change
    > to take effect.

    Not looked through it much but you may find some info at:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dev_:_Using_preferences

    As far as I know prefs.js and user.js are only read at startup,
    changes to preferences within a running browser are written to
    prefs.js at shutdown.

  4. Re: Changing Firefox Proxy from external Application

    > Enter about:config in the location bar in Firefox and filter for the
    > preference you are changing in your prefs.js file. Or, in Firefox do
    > Tools - Options - General tab - Connection Settings. I don't use
    > proxies but I'm guessing you may have to restart Firefox for the change
    > to take effect.

    When changing the proxy from within firefox, I do not need to restart
    the browser, but what I want is to change the settings from my program
    outside firefox.

  5. Re: Changing Firefox Proxy from external Application

    Philip Chinery wrote:

    >> Enter about:config in the location bar in Firefox and filter for the
    >> preference you are changing in your prefs.js file. Or, in Firefox do
    >> Tools - Options - General tab - Connection Settings. I don't use
    >> proxies but I'm guessing you may have to restart Firefox for the
    >> change to take effect.

    > When changing the proxy from within firefox, I do not need to restart
    > the browser, but what I want is to change the settings from my program
    > outside firefox.

    You don't specify /what/ your external program is; that would be helpful
    for people here to assist you. What you want to do /may/ be possible but
    it's certainly beyond me.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net