My favorite extensions and themes - Mozilla

This is a discussion on My favorite extensions and themes - Mozilla ; Folks; I thought I'd share my favorite extensions and themes for Firefox 1.5.0.1 Extensions 1. AdblockFilterset.GUpdater{0.3.0.1} 2. easyGestures{3.3} 3. AIRoboformToolbarforFirefox{6.6.2} 4. FirefoxExtensionBackupExtension(FEBE){1.0} 5. IEView{1.2.7} 6. NoScript{1.1.3.9} 7. Sage{1.3.6} 8. AJAXYahoo!Mail[ViamaticWebMail++]{0.5} 9. AdblockPlus{0.6.1.1} 10. TabMixPlus{0.3.0.4} 11. DownloadManagerTweak{0.7.1} Themes 1. AzertyII{2.0} 2. ...

  1. My favorite extensions and themes

    Folks;

    I thought I'd share my favorite extensions and themes for Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Extensions
    1. AdblockFilterset.GUpdater{0.3.0.1}
    2. easyGestures{3.3}
    3. AIRoboformToolbarforFirefox{6.6.2}
    4. FirefoxExtensionBackupExtension(FEBE){1.0}
    5. IEView{1.2.7}
    6. NoScript{1.1.3.9}
    7. Sage{1.3.6}
    8. AJAXYahoo!Mail[ViamaticWebMail++]{0.5}
    9. AdblockPlus{0.6.1.1}
    10. TabMixPlus{0.3.0.4}
    11. DownloadManagerTweak{0.7.1}
    Themes
    1. AzertyII{2.0}
    2. MostlyCrystal{1.5.0.6}
    3. Qute{3.0.4}
    4. Noia2.0(eXtreme){3.01}

    This output comes from Extension 4, which is a simple extension to
    backup all your other extensions. I use the backed-up files from my
    laptop to update my Portable Firefox setup.

    AIRoboForm is probably the most important extension. I use the standard
    version on my laptop and bought the portable version (Pass2Go) to use on
    my USB drive with Portable Firefox. RoboForm allows me to use unique
    usernames and RoboForm-generated passwords to logon to all my web sites.
    I don't know most of my web site passwords except for My Yahoo, where I
    have Yahoo Mail Plus which gives me disposable email addresses to manage
    my use of web site feedback. I love disposable email addresses. I use
    Thunderbird to manage my email, but I use Firefox to preview my mail
    through the day, downloading it at night at home.

    I think Sage is the best RSS reader for Firefox, because of its
    simplicity, but I wish I could do more scrolling in the summary mode
    without going to the web site. Sage works extremely well for those
    bloggers who understand the importance of full feeds.

    I switched from Tabbed Browsing Extensions to TabMixPlus and am really
    pleased with the features.

    easyGestures is a really great navigation tool. I've been working on
    customizing it to suit my needs and it really saves time on my laptop
    with the stick pointer. Far less mouse travel than standard menus and
    context menus.

    AdblockPlus and AdblockFilterset make deleting ads effortless.

    NoScript makes me feel safer, but it's a PITA to configure today's web
    sites, given the complexity of their naming schemes.

    I like MostlyCrystal and Noia themes best so far.

    It would be cool to be able to grab a config file that someone put
    together and pick and choose extensions to try. So far I haven't had any
    trouble with extension conflicts, but I try to have only one extension
    doing each thing on the browser and avoid super-duper extensions that
    try to do everything.

    What are your favorite extensions and themes and why?

    --
    Kent

  2. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    Kent W. England wrote:

    > Folks;
    >
    > I thought I'd share my favorite extensions and themes for Firefox 1.5.0.1
    >
    > Extensions
    > 1. AdblockFilterset.GUpdater{0.3.0.1}
    > 2. easyGestures{3.3}
    > 3. AIRoboformToolbarforFirefox{6.6.2}
    > 4. FirefoxExtensionBackupExtension(FEBE){1.0}
    > 5. IEView{1.2.7}
    > 6. NoScript{1.1.3.9}
    > 7. Sage{1.3.6}
    > 8. AJAXYahoo!Mail[ViamaticWebMail++]{0.5}
    > 9. AdblockPlus{0.6.1.1}
    > 10. TabMixPlus{0.3.0.4}
    > 11. DownloadManagerTweak{0.7.1}
    > Themes
    > 1. AzertyII{2.0}
    > 2. MostlyCrystal{1.5.0.6}
    > 3. Qute{3.0.4}
    > 4. Noia2.0(eXtreme){3.01}
    >
    > This output comes from Extension 4, which is a simple extension to
    > backup all your other extensions. I use the backed-up files from my
    > laptop to update my Portable Firefox setup.
    >
    > AIRoboForm is probably the most important extension. I use the standard
    > version on my laptop and bought the portable version (Pass2Go) to use on
    > my USB drive with Portable Firefox. RoboForm allows me to use unique
    > usernames and RoboForm-generated passwords to logon to all my web sites.
    > I don't know most of my web site passwords except for My Yahoo, where I
    > have Yahoo Mail Plus which gives me disposable email addresses to manage
    > my use of web site feedback. I love disposable email addresses. I use
    > Thunderbird to manage my email, but I use Firefox to preview my mail
    > through the day, downloading it at night at home.
    >
    > I think Sage is the best RSS reader for Firefox, because of its
    > simplicity, but I wish I could do more scrolling in the summary mode
    > without going to the web site. Sage works extremely well for those
    > bloggers who understand the importance of full feeds.
    >
    > I switched from Tabbed Browsing Extensions to TabMixPlus and am really
    > pleased with the features.
    >
    > easyGestures is a really great navigation tool. I've been working on
    > customizing it to suit my needs and it really saves time on my laptop
    > with the stick pointer. Far less mouse travel than standard menus and
    > context menus.
    >
    > AdblockPlus and AdblockFilterset make deleting ads effortless.
    >
    > NoScript makes me feel safer, but it's a PITA to configure today's web
    > sites, given the complexity of their naming schemes.
    >
    > I like MostlyCrystal and Noia themes best so far.
    >
    > It would be cool to be able to grab a config file that someone put
    > together and pick and choose extensions to try. So far I haven't had any
    > trouble with extension conflicts, but I try to have only one extension
    > doing each thing on the browser and avoid super-duper extensions that
    > try to do everything.
    >
    > What are your favorite extensions and themes and why?
    >
    > --
    > Kent

    Sorry, but I don't use Firefox, but right now I use Mozilla Suite, and
    my best extension is Multizilla and my favourite theme is ToyFactory.

  3. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    On 03-03-2006 03:55 CET, Kent W. England composed this enchanting
    statement:
    > Folks;
    >
    > I thought I'd share my favorite extensions and themes for Firefox 1.5.0.1
    >

    > What are your favorite extensions and themes and why?

    ..
    (Unfortunately, I cannot use FirefoxExtensionBackupExtension (FEBE): it
    doesn't support the Mac or Unix.)

    Extensions: used for:

    FoxyTunes leisure
    Chatzilla Friday'S late evening 60+ quiz and fun hour.
    Prefbar quick, occasional use of fake UA agent, kill flash,
    disable (images, javascript)
    Sage RSS feeds - e.g. dotmac.info
    Resize Search Box
    Tab Mix Plus e.g. force new tab
    Noscript only allowing javascript when manually enabled for a
    web site (domain)
    Yahoo Photos
    Easy Upload fast bulk upload of jpeg.
    Web developer lot of good tools

    Themes: Noia Xtreme 2.0, the best theme I could find

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5.0+/Thunderbird 1.5

  4. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    Kent W. England wrote:
    > Folks;
    >
    > I thought I'd share my favorite extensions and themes for Firefox 1.5.0.1
    >
    > Extensions
    > 1. AdblockFilterset.GUpdater{0.3.0.1}
    > 2. easyGestures{3.3}
    > 3. AIRoboformToolbarforFirefox{6.6.2}
    > 4. FirefoxExtensionBackupExtension(FEBE){1.0}
    > 5. IEView{1.2.7}
    > 6. NoScript{1.1.3.9}
    > 7. Sage{1.3.6}
    > 8. AJAXYahoo!Mail[ViamaticWebMail++]{0.5}
    > 9. AdblockPlus{0.6.1.1}
    > 10. TabMixPlus{0.3.0.4}
    > 11. DownloadManagerTweak{0.7.1}
    > Themes
    > 1. AzertyII{2.0}
    > 2. MostlyCrystal{1.5.0.6}
    > 3. Qute{3.0.4}
    > 4. Noia2.0(eXtreme){3.01}
    >
    > This output comes from Extension 4, which is a simple extension to
    > backup all your other extensions. I use the backed-up files from my
    > laptop to update my Portable Firefox setup.
    >
    > AIRoboForm is probably the most important extension. I use the standard
    > version on my laptop and bought the portable version (Pass2Go) to use on
    > my USB drive with Portable Firefox. RoboForm allows me to use unique
    > usernames and RoboForm-generated passwords to logon to all my web sites.
    > I don't know most of my web site passwords except for My Yahoo, where I
    > have Yahoo Mail Plus which gives me disposable email addresses to manage
    > my use of web site feedback. I love disposable email addresses. I use
    > Thunderbird to manage my email, but I use Firefox to preview my mail
    > through the day, downloading it at night at home.
    >
    > I think Sage is the best RSS reader for Firefox, because of its
    > simplicity, but I wish I could do more scrolling in the summary mode
    > without going to the web site. Sage works extremely well for those
    > bloggers who understand the importance of full feeds.
    >
    > I switched from Tabbed Browsing Extensions to TabMixPlus and am really
    > pleased with the features.
    >
    > easyGestures is a really great navigation tool. I've been working on
    > customizing it to suit my needs and it really saves time on my laptop
    > with the stick pointer. Far less mouse travel than standard menus and
    > context menus.
    >
    > AdblockPlus and AdblockFilterset make deleting ads effortless.
    >
    > NoScript makes me feel safer, but it's a PITA to configure today's web
    > sites, given the complexity of their naming schemes.
    >
    > I like MostlyCrystal and Noia themes best so far.
    >
    > It would be cool to be able to grab a config file that someone put
    > together and pick and choose extensions to try. So far I haven't had any
    > trouble with extension conflicts, but I try to have only one extension
    > doing each thing on the browser and avoid super-duper extensions that
    > try to do everything.
    >
    > What are your favorite extensions and themes and why?
    >
    > --
    > Kent

    Kent,
    You might consider trying IETab rather than IEView. I find it more
    flexible. Somehow the Roboform extension seems a bit of a security risk
    for this paranoid one. I like the Skypilot Classic theme better than
    any I have seen.

  5. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    Any extension that gets uninstalled when Firefox has a security update
    is off my list.

    I wish Firefox would keep track of these so that the uninstall could
    automatically reinstall (should I choose), when that extension was
    available again.

  6. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    Howard Brazee wrote in
    :

    > Any extension that gets uninstalled when Firefox has a security
    > update is off my list.
    >
    > I wish Firefox would keep track of these so that the uninstall
    > could automatically reinstall (should I choose), when that
    > extension was available again.

    When Firefox is updated, incompatible extensions are disabled, not
    uninstalled. Firefox will still check for updates to disabled
    extensions.

  7. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 14:51:43 -0600, Q wrote:

    >> I wish Firefox would keep track of these so that the uninstall
    >> could automatically reinstall (should I choose), when that
    >> extension was available again.

    >When Firefox is updated, incompatible extensions are disabled, not
    >uninstalled. Firefox will still check for updates to disabled
    >extensions.

    That's neat. Someday I can expect to be notified when my past
    extensions are working again. I hope the settings I used still work
    (I'm thinking of an extension that saved my bookmarks to the Internet
    from work, and my home then read them).

    It will be a nice surprise.

  8. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    One of my FAVORITE extensions is actually somewhat unheard of, though it has
    been arround since the days of Orignal Mozilla. For some reason it does not
    show up when searching in the listed extensions.

    The extension is called "PrefBar". All it does is add a toolbar to Firefox
    that lets you throw all sorts of configuration controls (checkboxes,
    dropdowns, etc) on it. It makes it so you can quickly enable and disable
    Java, Images, Popups, Flash and much more. I threw all my "clear" commands
    (clear cache, clear location bar, etc.) on it too. One very cool tool it
    gives you is a User Agent selector that can be added to the toolbar as well.
    The selector forces Firefox to send a "false" user agent id to the webserver
    (Firefox, Netscape, Mozilla, Lynx, etc.). Its a great tool and I really
    think it should get more exposure.

    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    Thanks,

    Matt

    "Kent W. England" wrote in message
    > Folks;
    >
    > I thought I'd share my favorite extensions and themes for Firefox 1.5.0.1
    >
    > Extensions
    > 1. AdblockFilterset.GUpdater{0.3.0.1}
    > 2. easyGestures{3.3}
    > 3. AIRoboformToolbarforFirefox{6.6.2}
    > 4. FirefoxExtensionBackupExtension(FEBE){1.0}
    > 5. IEView{1.2.7}
    > 6. NoScript{1.1.3.9}
    > 7. Sage{1.3.6}
    > 8. AJAXYahoo!Mail[ViamaticWebMail++]{0.5}
    > 9. AdblockPlus{0.6.1.1}
    > 10. TabMixPlus{0.3.0.4}
    > 11. DownloadManagerTweak{0.7.1}
    > Themes
    > 1. AzertyII{2.0}
    > 2. MostlyCrystal{1.5.0.6}
    > 3. Qute{3.0.4}
    > 4. Noia2.0(eXtreme){3.01}
    >
    > This output comes from Extension 4, which is a simple extension to backup
    > all your other extensions. I use the backed-up files from my laptop to
    > update my Portable Firefox setup.
    >
    > AIRoboForm is probably the most important extension. I use the standard
    > version on my laptop and bought the portable version (Pass2Go) to use on
    > my USB drive with Portable Firefox. RoboForm allows me to use unique
    > usernames and RoboForm-generated passwords to logon to all my web sites. I
    > don't know most of my web site passwords except for My Yahoo, where I have
    > Yahoo Mail Plus which gives me disposable email addresses to manage my use
    > of web site feedback. I love disposable email addresses. I use Thunderbird
    > to manage my email, but I use Firefox to preview my mail through the day,
    > downloading it at night at home.
    >
    > I think Sage is the best RSS reader for Firefox, because of its
    > simplicity, but I wish I could do more scrolling in the summary mode
    > without going to the web site. Sage works extremely well for those
    > bloggers who understand the importance of full feeds.
    >
    > I switched from Tabbed Browsing Extensions to TabMixPlus and am really
    > pleased with the features.
    >
    > easyGestures is a really great navigation tool. I've been working on
    > customizing it to suit my needs and it really saves time on my laptop with
    > the stick pointer. Far less mouse travel than standard menus and context
    > menus.
    >
    > AdblockPlus and AdblockFilterset make deleting ads effortless.
    >
    > NoScript makes me feel safer, but it's a PITA to configure today's web
    > sites, given the complexity of their naming schemes.
    >
    > I like MostlyCrystal and Noia themes best so far.
    >
    > It would be cool to be able to grab a config file that someone put
    > together and pick and choose extensions to try. So far I haven't had any
    > trouble with extension conflicts, but I try to have only one extension
    > doing each thing on the browser and avoid super-duper extensions that try
    > to do everything.
    >
    > What are your favorite extensions and themes and why?
    >
    > --
    > Kent

  9. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Kent,
    > You might consider trying IETab rather than IEView. I find it more
    > flexible. Somehow the Roboform extension seems a bit of a security risk
    > for this paranoid one. I like the Skypilot Classic theme better than
    > any I have seen.

    If Roboform makes you nervous then you might like to take a look at
    PasswordMaker. It generates passwords on the fly based on the url,
    username, your secret master password, and a few other configurable
    items using a one-way hash. This way you only ever have to remember one
    password, every password that is passed to websites is unique, and all
    the generated passwords are pretty strong since they're basically random
    strings. And since you can configure each website differently in terms
    of the way it generates the password, it even provides protection
    against keyloggers should you have that misfortune.

    On the downside it doesn't fill out forms and it has to be said that
    Roboform is very intelligent about identifying field names and working
    around sites that intentionally try to defeat password organizers.
    They're both good programs. Too bad I can't find a program that combines
    the best attributes of both.

    --

    Rod

  10. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    Kent W. England wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote on 03-Mar-2006 1:08 AM:
    >> Kent W. England wrote:

    >>> What are your favorite extensions and themes and why?
    >>>

    >> Kent,
    >> You might consider trying IETab rather than IEView. I find it more
    >> flexible. Somehow the Roboform extension seems a bit of a security
    >> risk for this paranoid one. I like the Skypilot Classic theme better
    >> than any I have seen.

    > I don't understand your point about RoboForm being a security risk. I
    > use it to avoid problems with hijacking my username and password on web
    > sites. You can set a master password to lock your password files.
    >
    > --
    > Kent

    I looked at Roboform, and found that it filled in forms with
    information, even when the whole form was not visible onscreen. I felt
    that a website could extract information in this way without my
    knowledge, and deemed this too much of a risk to keep the program. You
    might not be as paranoid as I am....

  11. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    Howard Brazee wrote:
    > Any extension that gets uninstalled when Firefox has a security update
    > is off my list.
    >
    > I wish Firefox would keep track of these so that the uninstall could
    > automatically reinstall (should I choose), when that extension was
    > available again.

    Currently, they don't get 'uninstalled', only deactivated, and you can
    still check for updates....

  12. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    Rod Engelsman wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Kent,
    >> You might consider trying IETab rather than IEView. I find it more
    >> flexible. Somehow the Roboform extension seems a bit of a security
    >> risk for this paranoid one. I like the Skypilot Classic theme better
    >> than any I have seen.

    > If Roboform makes you nervous then you might like to take a look at
    > PasswordMaker. It generates passwords on the fly based on the url,
    > username, your secret master password, and a few other configurable
    > items using a one-way hash. This way you only ever have to remember one
    > password, every password that is passed to websites is unique, and all
    > the generated passwords are pretty strong since they're basically random
    > strings. And since you can configure each website differently in terms
    > of the way it generates the password, it even provides protection
    > against keyloggers should you have that misfortune.
    >
    > On the downside it doesn't fill out forms and it has to be said that
    > Roboform is very intelligent about identifying field names and working
    > around sites that intentionally try to defeat password organizers.
    > They're both good programs. Too bad I can't find a program that combines
    > the best attributes of both.

    If I understand you about how this program works, it would make my use
    of three different computers on the same websites rather difficult....
    Wouldn't it?

  13. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > If I understand you about how this program works, it would make my use
    > of three different computers on the same websites rather difficult....
    > Wouldn't it?

    Not too bad. I use it on two separate machines myself. From the FAQ on
    their website:

    "I go to the same sites like banks, tech support, etc. from both my home
    and work PCs. How do I get the passwords from one PC to the other?

    PasswordMaker has "Export Settings" and "Import Settings" options.
    Exporting the settings saves them to a file (with the option to
    include/exclude the master password in encrypted form), while importing
    settings takes a file and imports its contents as if you'd manually
    entered them. You can synchronize two or more PCs this way.

    There are plans to optionally save this file on an FTP site so you don't
    need to transport it across PCs, but you can always opt-out of this. In
    the meantime, you can store exported settings centrally somewhere
    yourself (like your web-based email account) to make it easy to import
    them from anywhere."

    Keep in mind that what you are exporting and importing are basically the
    recipes for constructing the passwords, not the passwords themselves. An
    essential ingredient, the master password, can be kept safely embedded
    in your skull and nowhere else.

    I encourage you to visit their website http://passwordmaker.org/ and
    check it out. It's a very cool concept.

    --

    Rod

  14. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    Rod Engelsman wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >

    >> If I understand you about how this program works, it would make my use
    >> of three different computers on the same websites rather difficult....
    >> Wouldn't it?

    > Not too bad. I use it on two separate machines myself. From the FAQ on
    > their website:
    >
    > "I go to the same sites like banks, tech support, etc. from both my home
    > and work PCs. How do I get the passwords from one PC to the other?
    >
    > PasswordMaker has "Export Settings" and "Import Settings" options.
    > Exporting the settings saves them to a file (with the option to
    > include/exclude the master password in encrypted form), while importing
    > settings takes a file and imports its contents as if you'd manually
    > entered them. You can synchronize two or more PCs this way.
    >
    > There are plans to optionally save this file on an FTP site so you don't
    > need to transport it across PCs, but you can always opt-out of this. In
    > the meantime, you can store exported settings centrally somewhere
    > yourself (like your web-based email account) to make it easy to import
    > them from anywhere."
    >
    > Keep in mind that what you are exporting and importing are basically the
    > recipes for constructing the passwords, not the passwords themselves. An
    > essential ingredient, the master password, can be kept safely embedded
    > in your skull and nowhere else.
    >
    > I encourage you to visit their website http://passwordmaker.org/ and
    > check it out. It's a very cool concept.

    Somehow I don't think I will be posting my passwords on an FTP site not
    within my network, not in THIS lifetime! I will check out the website.

  15. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Somehow I don't think I will be posting my passwords on an FTP site not
    > within my network, not in THIS lifetime! I will check out the website.

    That's the point, though. You wouldn't actually be posting your
    *passwords* to the ftp site. What you would be storing there would be a
    set of recipes for constructing the passwords based on a secret password
    that only *you* would know. So I could send you an email with my
    configuration file attached and you still wouldn't be able to get into
    any of my accounts unless you somehow guessed my secret master password.

    --

    Rod

  16. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:03:51 -0600, Ron Hunter
    wrote:

    >> I wish Firefox would keep track of these so that the uninstall could
    >> automatically reinstall (should I choose), when that extension was
    >> available again.

    >Currently, they don't get 'uninstalled', only deactivated, and you can
    >still check for updates....

    That's nice to know. Maybe someday I will find the extensions I
    liked will be working again.

    Hmmm. I just checked for updates manually, I thought that happened
    automatically. The disabled extension I was hoping for is still
    marked unavailable, but a couple of others told me there were updates
    available. I guess I should check more often.

  17. Re: My favorite extensions and themes

    Melchert Fruitema in

    snip

    > Tab Mix Plus e.g. force new tab

    yeah, TMP's best feature, imo

    > Web developer lot of good tools

    also googlebarlite or googlebar and selectoins of searchplugins (easy to write those), depending on profile.

    customizegoogle on some profiles.

    i've used other XPIs, but found I stopped using them after awhile.

    instead of themes, i use userchrome.css to help distinguish when i'm using certain profiles. (bookmarks topics)

    i also make up a new user.js when ff has major updates (eg, 1.0x to 1.5x), because i don't know which prefs have gone obsolete.

    i use proxo for pretty much everything else, adding CSS to fix bad styles, titles, convert web-obnoxiousities to clickable links,
    etc.

+ Reply to Thread