99% CPU usage - Mozilla

This is a discussion on 99% CPU usage - Mozilla ; I have install Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows XP SP2. When I run Firefox and open on a blank home page the cpu usage is pegged at 99%. I've tried unintalling wiping the profile data and reinstalling, but this does not ...

  1. 99% CPU usage

    I have install Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows XP SP2.
    When I run Firefox and open on a blank home page
    the cpu usage is pegged at 99%.
    I've tried unintalling wiping the profile data
    and reinstalling, but this does not help.
    There are no extensions loaded and no additional
    plugins. I only installed Firefox.

    I've search the web, newsgroups, and FAQS and
    have found several references to excessive
    cpu usage, but these were all tied to web content
    such as macromedia flash or ads. I am not
    browsing with Firefox, yet it appears to sit and
    spin on its own.

    I've tried disabling the firewall and virus
    scan and bypassing my router to get a direct
    unfilter connection to my cable modem.
    In addition, I've terminated all background
    AOL processes. Still no luck.

    At work I use Firefox on Win2k without problem.
    At home, I cannot use Firefox because of this
    problem.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: 99% CPU usage

    Devin Sale wrote:
    > I have install Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows XP SP2.
    > When I run Firefox and open on a blank home page
    > the cpu usage is pegged at 99%.
    > I've tried unintalling wiping the profile data
    > and reinstalling, but this does not help.
    > There are no extensions loaded and no additional
    > plugins. I only installed Firefox.
    >
    > I've search the web, newsgroups, and FAQS and
    > have found several references to excessive
    > cpu usage, but these were all tied to web content
    > such as macromedia flash or ads. I am not
    > browsing with Firefox, yet it appears to sit and
    > spin on its own.
    >
    > I've tried disabling the firewall and virus
    > scan and bypassing my router to get a direct
    > unfilter connection to my cable modem.
    > In addition, I've terminated all background
    > AOL processes. Still no luck.
    >
    > At work I use Firefox on Win2k without problem.
    > At home, I cannot use Firefox because of this
    > problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    In Task Manager/Processes, is it Firefox that consumes all this CPU?
    What is the Mem Usage like? Is the windows registry size OK? Is Firefox
    useable/does it work, or does it not start up all the way?

  3. Re: 99% CPU usage

    Devin Sale wrote:
    > I have install Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows XP SP2.
    > When I run Firefox and open on a blank home page
    > the cpu usage is pegged at 99%.
    > I've tried unintalling wiping the profile data
    > and reinstalling, but this does not help.
    > There are no extensions loaded and no additional
    > plugins. I only installed Firefox.
    >
    > I've search the web, newsgroups, and FAQS and
    > have found several references to excessive
    > cpu usage, but these were all tied to web content
    > such as macromedia flash or ads. I am not
    > browsing with Firefox, yet it appears to sit and
    > spin on its own.
    >
    > I've tried disabling the firewall and virus
    > scan and bypassing my router to get a direct
    > unfilter connection to my cable modem.
    > In addition, I've terminated all background
    > AOL processes. Still no luck.
    >
    > At work I use Firefox on Win2k without problem.
    > At home, I cannot use Firefox because of this
    > problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    does it stay at 99%? if loading FF is all you are doing it makes sense:
    th cpu is dedicated to FF while its loading and working, but should go
    back down when you and FF are not doing anything

    --
    Marko Jotic
    "Common sense is anything but common".

+ Reply to Thread