AltaVista support removed from Firefox 1.5.0.1. Why? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on AltaVista support removed from Firefox 1.5.0.1. Why? - Mozilla ; Howdy! I updated to Firefox version 1.5.0.1 and noticed that AltaVista has been removed from the list of search engines. OK, so I guess someone thought that it is less important than the other ones accepted into that drop-down menu. ...

  1. AltaVista support removed from Firefox 1.5.0.1. Why?

    Howdy!

    I updated to Firefox version 1.5.0.1 and noticed that AltaVista has been
    removed from the list of search engines. OK, so I guess someone thought that
    it is less important than the other ones accepted into that drop-down menu.
    But why is it not even on the Add Engines page that contains a broader list
    of search engines? If you, Dear Reader, can take the steps to add it there,
    please do... Thanks!

    Regards,
    Vesa

  2. Re: AltaVista support removed from Firefox 1.5.0.1. Why?

    Vesa Paatero wrote:
    > Howdy!
    >
    > I updated to Firefox version 1.5.0.1 and noticed that AltaVista has been
    > removed from the list of search engines. OK, so I guess someone thought that
    > it is less important than the other ones accepted into that drop-down menu.
    > But why is it not even on the Add Engines page that contains a broader list
    > of search engines? If you, Dear Reader, can take the steps to add it there,
    > please do... Thanks!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Vesa

    add it yourself. You can search for it here:
    http://mycroft.mozdev.org/. BTW: IIRC AltaVista is now part of Yahoo.

  3. Re: AltaVista support removed from Firefox 1.5.0.1. Why?

    Thanks for the link, I found an AltaVista plugin for my browser. Then I
    noticed your words that Altavista is now part of Yahoo. So I made a test
    search in both Altavista and Yahoo and I got what seems to be two identical
    lists of results.
    OK, I got the point: being a duplicate of Yahoo search is a valid reason
    to remove Altavista from the search engine list.

    - Vesa

    "gwtc" wrote in
    message news:Q9ednb7otfMuwpjZ4p2dnA@mozilla.org...
    > Vesa Paatero wrote:
    >> Howdy!
    >>
    >> I updated to Firefox version 1.5.0.1 and noticed that AltaVista has been
    >> removed from the list of search engines. OK, so I guess someone thought
    >> that it is less important than the other ones accepted into that
    >> drop-down menu. But why is it not even on the Add Engines page that
    >> contains a broader list of search engines? If you, Dear Reader, can take
    >> the steps to add it there, please do... Thanks!
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Vesa
    >>

    > add it yourself. You can search for it here: http://mycroft.mozdev.org/.
    > BTW: IIRC AltaVista is now part of Yahoo.

  4. Re: AltaVista support removed from Firefox 1.5.0.1. Why?

    Vesa Paatero wrote:
    > Thanks for the link, I found an AltaVista plugin for my browser. Then I
    > noticed your words that Altavista is now part of Yahoo. So I made a test
    > search in both Altavista and Yahoo and I got what seems to be two identical
    > lists of results.
    > OK, I got the point: being a duplicate of Yahoo search is a valid reason
    > to remove Altavista from the search engine list.
    >
    > - Vesa
    >
    > "gwtc" wrote in
    > message news:Q9ednb7otfMuwpjZ4p2dnA@mozilla.org...
    >> Vesa Paatero wrote:
    >>> Howdy!
    >>>
    >>> I updated to Firefox version 1.5.0.1 and noticed that AltaVista has been
    >>> removed from the list of search engines. OK, so I guess someone thought
    >>> that it is less important than the other ones accepted into that
    >>> drop-down menu. But why is it not even on the Add Engines page that
    >>> contains a broader list of search engines? If you, Dear Reader, can take
    >>> the steps to add it there, please do... Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Vesa
    >>>

    >> add it yourself. You can search for it here: http://mycroft.mozdev.org/.
    >> BTW: IIRC AltaVista is now part of Yahoo.

    Yahoo bought AllTheWeb and screwed it up but now it works like it used
    to. I just switched back to AllTheWeb from Altavista. The search plugins
    site linked to above has an unbelievable number of search engines to
    choose from, and it's easy enough to write your own using an existing
    one for a template. They're only a short text file with an image file
    for the icon.

  5. Re: AltaVista support removed from Firefox 1.5.0.1. Why?

    Alan Beaman wrote:

    > Vesa Paatero wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for the link, I found an AltaVista plugin for my browser. Then I
    >>noticed your words that Altavista is now part of Yahoo. So I made a test
    >>search in both Altavista and Yahoo and I got what seems to be two identical
    >>lists of results.
    >> OK, I got the point: being a duplicate of Yahoo search is a valid reason
    >>to remove Altavista from the search engine list.
    >>
    >>- Vesa
    >>
    >>"gwtc" wrote in
    >>message news:Q9ednb7otfMuwpjZ4p2dnA@mozilla.org...

    >>>add it yourself. You can search for it here: http://mycroft.mozdev.org/.
    >>>BTW: IIRC AltaVista is now part of Yahoo.

    > Yahoo bought AllTheWeb and screwed it up but now it works like it used
    > to. I just switched back to AllTheWeb from Altavista. The search plugins
    > site linked to above has an unbelievable number of search engines to
    > choose from, and it's easy enough to write your own using an existing
    > one for a template. They're only a short text file with an image file
    > for the icon.

    I use bookmarklets myself. Easier to use

  6. Re: AltaVista support removed from Firefox 1.5.0.1. Why?

    Alan Beaman wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Alan Beaman wrote:

    >>>Yahoo bought AllTheWeb and screwed it up but now it works like it used
    >>>to. I just switched back to AllTheWeb from Altavista. The search
    >>>plugins site linked to above has an unbelievable number of search
    >>>engines to choose from, and it's easy enough to write your own using
    >>>an existing one for a template. They're only a short text file with an
    >>>image file for the icon.

    >>I use bookmarklets myself. Easier to use

    > http://www.bookmarklets.com/
    >
    > Nice that they don't take up a lot of room if you leave the name field
    > blank and use a favicon ( FX 1.5 compatible:
    > http://www.renatorodrigues.com/firef...r-0.3.1-fx.xpi
    > )on the bookmarks toolbar. But you wind up with a lot of bookmarklets
    > if you use a lot of search engines.
    >
    > I use ResizeSearchBox ( http://dragtotab.mozdev.org/resizesearchbox/ )
    > which allows resizing the standard searchbox. And I use Search Button (
    > http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/?addon=sb ) which is intended to add a
    > button to the search box rather than requiring the use of the keyboard's
    > enter key. However it also allows you to configure mouseclicks such that
    > you can get the same effect by clicking on the search engine icon
    > without an extra button. I have mine configured to use a left click for
    > submit, and a right click to pop down the list of search engines and
    > choose another one.
    >
    > Most people probably don't use very many different search engines, but
    > this approach seems fastest to me. I have my location bar moved onto my
    > menu bar, and also a toggle button there to hide the navigation toolbar
    > which contains my search box. Pop it up when I need it. Hide it when I
    > want a bigger document window. Toggle buttons are great.
    >
    > Also, for selecting text and searching from the context menu, I use
    > Context Search ( http://www.cusser.net/extensions/contextsearch/ ). From
    > the author: ' Context Search transforms the "Web Search for..." context
    > item into a menu containing your Mycroft search plugins. This is very
    > convenient, since it allows you to decide which search engine you use.
    > Firefox's default is to use the currently selected search plugin only.'
    >
    > (Although I've come to the conclusion that it's about as easy to just
    > paste the text into the search box and choose the engine from there as
    > it is to right click and navigate through submenus.)

    I have hundreds of bookmarklets. Search Engines, photo/image
    searches, Music searches, encylopedias, dictionaries, history,
    libraries, universities, and many, many more.

+ Reply to Thread