Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1 - Mozilla ; There is an option to add a new toolbar. There does not seem to be an option to edit or delete the toolbar once it's been created. Is there a way to edit or delete the toolbars by going into ...

  1. Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    There is an option to add a new toolbar. There does not seem to be an
    option to edit or delete the toolbar once it's been created. Is there a
    way to edit or delete the toolbars by going into profile folders and
    configuration files? The only way to actually remove custom toolbars is
    to reset all toolbars to default (delete localstore.rdf), but that
    removes all your custom icons from the toolbars as well -- not the
    method I'd prefer.

    Here is another problem. Any toolbar installed via external software or
    by an extension can be hidden, and it STAYS hidden when you open new
    windows and when you close and reopen Firefox.

    However, any custom toolbar I created does NOT stay hidden. You can hide
    it in the window you're working in, but if you open a new window or
    close and reopen Firefox, the toolbar still shows. Is this a bug?

    I wanted to create several new toolbars but definitely don't want them
    to come up again after if I have hidden them! Deleting localstore.rdf
    does not fix this problem. That deletes every toolbar and button
    customization from all toolbars.

  2. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Sea Star wrote:
    > There is an option to add a new toolbar. There does not seem to be an
    > option to edit or delete the toolbar once it's been created. Is there a
    > way to edit or delete the toolbars by going into profile folders and
    > configuration files? The only way to actually remove custom toolbars is
    > to reset all toolbars to default (delete localstore.rdf), but that
    > removes all your custom icons from the toolbars as well -- not the
    > method I'd prefer.

    To remove a custom toolbar, its simple.
    Remove all items from the toolbar using the customization menu
    unselect (un check) the custom toolbar from the view menu

    With no items, and no view setting for it, the toolbar disappears completely

    > Here is another problem. Any toolbar installed via external software or
    > by an extension can be hidden, and it STAYS hidden when you open new
    > windows and when you close and reopen Firefox.

    Please read that again, slowly .
    Any toolbar installed via EXTERNAL software or by an EXTENSION can be
    hidden. Did you use external software or an extension to create your
    custom toolbar?

    > However, any custom toolbar I created does NOT stay hidden. You can hide
    > it in the window you're working in, but if you open a new window or
    > close and reopen Firefox, the toolbar still shows. Is this a bug?

    Use the View menu to select the Toolbars you want in view. The name of
    the additional toolbar will remain, but if it is not checkmarked it wont
    be in the window.

    > I wanted to create several new toolbars but definitely don't want them
    > to come up again after if I have hidden them! Deleting localstore.rdf
    > does not fix this problem. That deletes every toolbar and button
    > customization from all toolbars.

    Use the View-->Toolbars to select which of your toolbars to be shown, if
    you unselect (un check) the new toolbar there from the list, it will not
    appear
    As per above, ensure the toolbar has items in it prior to deselection in
    the view menu, else it will be removed.

  3. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Thank you for your answers. My replies are inline.

    Moz Champion (Dan) sent a subspace message on 2/28/2006 10:09 PM:

    > To remove a custom toolbar, its simple.
    > Remove all items from the toolbar using the customization menu
    > unselect (un check) the custom toolbar from the view menu
    >
    > With no items, and no view setting for it, the toolbar disappears
    > completely

    Thanks. I'll try that.

    >> Here is another problem. Any toolbar installed via external software
    >> or by an extension can be hidden, and it STAYS hidden when you open
    >> new windows and when you close and reopen Firefox.

    > Please read that again, slowly .
    > Any toolbar installed via EXTERNAL software or by an EXTENSION can be
    > hidden. Did you use external software or an extension to create your
    > custom toolbar?

    No. I added them by right-clicking on the toolbar or menu bar and
    selecting Add New Toolbar. I don't know of any external software that
    lets me create and manage custom toolbars in Firefox or Thunderbird.

    Examples of external software adding a toolbar are RoboForm and SnagIt.

    (I sure wish the Acrobat Web Capture toolbar appeared in Firefox like it
    does in IE, but it only seems to integrate with IE. The Acrobat plugin
    does integrate with Firefox, but it only lets you open and read PDFs in
    Firefox. There is no toolbar for web capture. For web capture, you have
    to either use IE itself, use the Firefox extension 'IEView' to launch
    IE, or launch Acrobat directly and perform the capture from there. The
    only other option to make a PDF in Firefox is to print using the
    AdobePDF printer.)

    >> ...any custom toolbar I created does NOT stay hidden. You can
    >> hide it in the window you're working in, but if you open a new window
    >> or close and reopen Firefox, the toolbar still shows. Is this a bug?

    > Use the View menu to select the Toolbars you want in view. The name of
    > the additional toolbar will remain, but if it is not checkmarked it wont
    > be in the window.
    >>
    >> I wanted to create several new toolbars but definitely don't want them
    >> to come up again after I have hidden them! Deleting localstore.rdf
    >> does not fix this problem. That deletes every toolbar and button
    >> customization from all toolbars.

    > Use the View-->Toolbars to select which of your toolbars to be shown, if
    > you unselect (un check) the new toolbar there from the list, it will not
    > appear
    > As per above, ensure the toolbar has items in it prior to deselection in
    > the view menu, else it will be removed.

    I have been hiding/showing toolbars by right-clicking on the
    toolbar/menubar. Are you saying that the problem I'm experiencing may
    only exist with this right-click method and should not exist if I use
    the View menu to hide these toolbars?

    Some of the toolbars I wanted to create were: Tab Mix Plus,
    Configuration, Copy & Print, Security, Advanced.

    Just out of curiosity, why doesn't Thunderbird have the Add New Toolbar
    option? Is it possible to create new toolbars in Thunderbird? I can ask
    this also in the Thunderbird newsgroup, but since we're talking about it
    here, it doesn't hurt to ask.

  4. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Sea Star wrote:
    > Thank you for your answers. My replies are inline.
    >
    > Moz Champion (Dan) sent a subspace message on 2/28/2006 10:09 PM:
    >
    >> To remove a custom toolbar, its simple.
    >> Remove all items from the toolbar using the customization menu
    >> unselect (un check) the custom toolbar from the view menu
    >>
    >> With no items, and no view setting for it, the toolbar disappears
    >> completely

    > Thanks. I'll try that.
    >
    >>> Here is another problem. Any toolbar installed via external software
    >>> or by an extension can be hidden, and it STAYS hidden when you open
    >>> new windows and when you close and reopen Firefox.

    >> Please read that again, slowly .
    >> Any toolbar installed via EXTERNAL software or by an EXTENSION can be
    >> hidden. Did you use external software or an extension to create your
    >> custom toolbar?

    > No. I added them by right-clicking on the toolbar or menu bar and
    > selecting Add New Toolbar. I don't know of any external software that
    > lets me create and manage custom toolbars in Firefox or Thunderbird.

    Right! You admit you didnt use external software or an extension to
    create the custom toolbar, so why should it remain hidden? As it SAYS
    toolbars added by external or extensions can be hidden - since you didnt
    use either it doesnt apply.

    > Examples of external software adding a toolbar are RoboForm and SnagIt.

    not pertinant to the discussion, you didnt use such, so there is no
    guide as to whether or not a custom toolbar created within Firefox can
    be hidden. (it can, I told you how to do that).

    > (I sure wish the Acrobat Web Capture toolbar appeared in Firefox like it
    > does in IE, but it only seems to integrate with IE. The Acrobat plugin
    > does integrate with Firefox, but it only lets you open and read PDFs in
    > Firefox. There is no toolbar for web capture. For web capture, you have
    > to either use IE itself, use the Firefox extension 'IEView' to launch
    > IE, or launch Acrobat directly and perform the capture from there. The
    > only other option to make a PDF in Firefox is to print using the
    > AdobePDF printer.)
    >
    >>> ...any custom toolbar I created does NOT stay hidden. You can hide it
    >>> in the window you're working in, but if you open a new window or
    >>> close and reopen Firefox, the toolbar still shows. Is this a bug?

    >> Use the View menu to select the Toolbars you want in view. The name of
    >> the additional toolbar will remain, but if it is not checkmarked it
    >> wont be in the window.
    >>>
    >>> I wanted to create several new toolbars but definitely don't want
    >>> them to come up again after I have hidden them! Deleting
    >>> localstore.rdf does not fix this problem. That deletes every toolbar
    >>> and button customization from all toolbars.

    >> Use the View-->Toolbars to select which of your toolbars to be shown,
    >> if you unselect (un check) the new toolbar there from the list, it
    >> will not appear
    >> As per above, ensure the toolbar has items in it prior to deselection
    >> in the view menu, else it will be removed.

    > I have been hiding/showing toolbars by right-clicking on the
    > toolbar/menubar. Are you saying that the problem I'm experiencing may
    > only exist with this right-click method and should not exist if I use
    > the View menu to hide these toolbars?

    Yep. Right click selections are current for the underlying focus at the
    point in time of such, they are not global in context. You use Right
    Click for example to Save an Image to disk (say from a web page) - but
    the next images you see wont be saved to disk, only the one in focus
    when you right clicked.

    You want to hide a toolbar right now, in the window you are viewing,
    then use Right Click, as you have been doing. If you want the effect to
    apply globally, then use the view menu as specified.

    If you used right click to save an image to disk, you wouldnt expect all
    future images to be saved to disk.
    If you use right click to hide a toolbar, you shouldnt expect all future
    toolbars to be affected.

    > Some of the toolbars I wanted to create were: Tab Mix Plus,
    > Configuration, Copy & Print, Security, Advanced.
    >
    > Just out of curiosity, why doesn't Thunderbird have the Add New Toolbar
    > option? Is it possible to create new toolbars in Thunderbird? I can ask
    > this also in the Thunderbird newsgroup, but since we're talking about it
    > here, it doesn't hurt to ask.

    It isnt there yet, its been requested/discussed but as of yet, no
    implementation.

  5. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Moz Champion (Dan) sent a subspace message on 2/28/2006 10:54 PM:

    >>> Use the View menu to select the Toolbars you want in view. The name
    >>> of the additional toolbar will remain, but if it is not checkmarked
    >>> it wont be in the window.

    >>> Use the View-->Toolbars to select which of your toolbars to be shown,
    >>> if you unselect (un check) the new toolbar there from the list, it
    >>> will not appear
    >>> As per above, ensure the toolbar has items in it prior to deselection
    >>> in the view menu, else it will be removed.

    >> I have been hiding/showing toolbars by right-clicking on the
    >> toolbar/menubar. Are you saying that the problem I'm experiencing may
    >> only exist with this right-click method and should not exist if I use
    >> the View menu to hide these toolbars?

    > Yep. Right click selections are current for the underlying focus at the
    > point in time of such, they are not global in context. You use Right
    > Click for example to Save an Image to disk (say from a web page) - but
    > the next images you see wont be saved to disk, only the one in focus
    > when you right clicked.
    >
    > You want to hide a toolbar right now, in the window you are viewing,
    > then use Right Click, as you have been doing. If you want the effect to
    > apply globally, then use the view menu as specified.
    >
    > If you used right click to save an image to disk, you wouldnt expect all
    > future images to be saved to disk.
    > If you use right click to hide a toolbar, you shouldnt expect all future
    > toolbars to be affected.

    I created several toolbars and then used the View menu to hide them as
    you suggested. They were only hidden during my browser session. On new
    windows and on closing and reopening Firefox, the hidden windows were
    still visible. They did not stay hidden. Why?

    Why is it that windows I didn't create myself (Bookmarks, Google
    Toolbar, Googlebar Lite, Groowe Search Toolbar, SnagIt) do stay hidden,
    but the windows I do create myself (Tab Mix Plus, Configuration, Copy &
    Print) do not stay hidden?

    I did everything you said, and it doesn't work. It doesn't make sense. I
    can't hide the toolbars that I create. The global setting doesn't stick.
    That's why I think it's some kind of bug. Is there something in my
    configuration that needs to be changed? Any setting to check in
    about:config?

  6. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Sea Star wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) sent a subspace message on 2/28/2006 10:54 PM:

    >>> I have been hiding/showing toolbars by right-clicking on the
    >>> toolbar/menubar. Are you saying that the problem I'm experiencing may
    >>> only exist with this right-click method and should not exist if I use
    >>> the View menu to hide these toolbars?

    >> Yep. Right click selections are current for the underlying focus at
    >> the point in time of such, they are not global in context. You use
    >> Right Click for example to Save an Image to disk (say from a web page)
    >> - but the next images you see wont be saved to disk, only the one in
    >> focus when you right clicked.
    >>
    >> You want to hide a toolbar right now, in the window you are viewing,
    >> then use Right Click, as you have been doing. If you want the effect
    >> to apply globally, then use the view menu as specified.
    >>
    >> If you used right click to save an image to disk, you wouldnt expect
    >> all future images to be saved to disk.
    >> If you use right click to hide a toolbar, you shouldnt expect all
    >> future toolbars to be affected.

    > I created several toolbars and then used the View menu to hide them as
    > you suggested. They were only hidden during my browser session. On new
    > windows and on closing and reopening Firefox, the hidden windows were
    > still visible. They did not stay hidden. Why?
    >
    > Why is it that windows I didn't create myself (Bookmarks, Google
    > Toolbar, Googlebar Lite, Groowe Search Toolbar, SnagIt) do stay hidden,
    > but the windows I do create myself (Tab Mix Plus, Configuration, Copy &
    > Print) do not stay hidden?
    >
    > I did everything you said, and it doesn't work. It doesn't make sense. I
    > can't hide the toolbars that I create. The global setting doesn't stick.
    > That's why I think it's some kind of bug. Is there something in my
    > configuration that needs to be changed? Any setting to check in
    > about:config?

    Quite correct. The new toolbars you create will always be enabled in a
    new window - tho the default Navigation and Bookmarks toolbars can be
    hidden (even for new windows or re-starts), custom (internal) toolbars
    cannot.

    Now you can understand WHY there are external applications and
    extensions that add toolbars to Firefox - they are much more
    controllable and customizeable than the internal ones.

  7. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Moz Champion (Dan) sent a subspace message on 3/1/2006 5:16 PM:

    > The new toolbars you create will always be enabled in a
    > new window - tho the default Navigation and Bookmarks toolbars can be
    > hidden (even for new windows or re-starts), custom (internal) toolbars
    > cannot.
    >
    > Now you can understand WHY there are external applications and
    > extensions that add toolbars to Firefox - they are much more
    > controllable and customizeable than the internal ones.

    Do you know of any external application that will let me make add, edit
    or delete custom toolbars in Firefox (or Thunderbird)?

  8. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    On 01.03.2006 23:49, Sea Star wrote:

    > Moz Champion (Dan) sent a subspace message on 3/1/2006 5:16 PM:
    >
    >> The new toolbars you create will always be enabled in a
    >> new window - tho the default Navigation and Bookmarks toolbars can be
    >> hidden (even for new windows or re-starts), custom (internal) toolbars
    >> cannot.
    >>
    >> Now you can understand WHY there are external applications and
    >> extensions that add toolbars to Firefox - they are much more
    >> controllable and customizeable than the internal ones.
    >>

    > Do you know of any external application that will let me make add, edit
    > or delete custom toolbars in Firefox (or Thunderbird)?

    In Firefox, right-click on most any blank spot on the toolbar and select
    "customize" and then "Add Toolbar".

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  9. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Jay Garcia sent a subspace message on 3/2/2006 6:33 AM:
    > On 01.03.2006 23:49, Sea Star wrote:

    Jay, if you have been following this thread from the beginning, you'd
    know there are problems and limitations with that method.

  10. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Sea Star wrote:
    > Jay Garcia sent a subspace message on 3/2/2006 6:33 AM:
    >> On 01.03.2006 23:49, Sea Star wrote:

    A freeware application that promises to do just that
    http://www.toolbarbrowser.com/

    A cost item that allows you to create custom toolbars for IE and then
    convert them into Firefox ones
    http://www.besttoolbars.net/ ($75)

    Another way to look at the problem would be to use an extension that
    adds a custom toolbar of its own, and then using the customize options
    to add/remove buttons in the added toolbar to suit your taste.

  11. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Moz Champion (Dan) sent a subspace message on 3/2/2006 8:03 PM:

    >> another way to look at the problem would be to add an extension that
    >> adds a toolbar of its own, and then customizing it to suit your tastes

    > A freeware application that promises to do just that
    > http://www.toolbarbrowser.com/
    >
    > A cost item that allows you to create custom toolbars for IE and then
    > convert them into Firefox ones
    > http://www.besttoolbars.net/ ($75)
    >
    > Another way to look at the problem would be to use an extension that
    > adds a custom toolbar of its own, and then using the customize options
    > to add/remove buttons in the added toolbar to suit your taste.

    In other words, if the freeware app doesn't work as expected, the I can
    add a separator and buttons to my SnagIt, Google Toolbar, and Googlebar
    Lite toolbars instead.

  12. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Sea Star wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) sent a subspace message on 3/2/2006 8:03 PM:
    >
    >>> another way to look at the problem would be to add an extension that
    >>> adds a toolbar of its own, and then customizing it to suit your tastes

    >> A freeware application that promises to do just that
    >> http://www.toolbarbrowser.com/
    >>
    >> A cost item that allows you to create custom toolbars for IE and then
    >> convert them into Firefox ones
    >> http://www.besttoolbars.net/ ($75)
    >>
    >> Another way to look at the problem would be to use an extension that
    >> adds a custom toolbar of its own, and then using the customize options
    >> to add/remove buttons in the added toolbar to suit your taste.

    > In other words, if the freeware app doesn't work as expected, the I can
    > add a separator and buttons to my SnagIt, Google Toolbar, and Googlebar
    > Lite toolbars instead.

    You may even be able to remove items from those toolbars, and replace
    them with buttons of your own choosing

  13. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Moz Champion (Dan) sent a subspace message on 3/2/2006 9:15 PM:
    > Sea Star wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) sent a subspace message on 3/2/2006 8:03 PM:

    >>> A freeware application that promises to do just that
    >>> http://www.toolbarbrowser.com/
    >>>
    >>> A cost item that allows you to create custom toolbars for IE and then
    >>> convert them into Firefox ones
    >>> http://www.besttoolbars.net/ ($75)
    >>>
    >>> Another way to look at the problem would be to use an extension that
    >>> adds a custom toolbar of its own, and then using the customize
    >>> options to add/remove buttons in the added toolbar to suit your taste.

    >> In other words, if the freeware app doesn't work as expected, the I
    >> can add a separator and buttons to my SnagIt, Google Toolbar, and
    >> Googlebar Lite toolbars instead.

    > You may even be able to remove items from those toolbars, and replace
    > them with buttons of your own choosing

    Maybe I should install a new toolbar, one I would not use for its
    intended purpose. I could then remove all its buttons except one. Then
    I'd add my own buttons and remove the last one it came with.

    Thanks very much for your help.

  14. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Sea Star wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) sent a subspace message on 3/2/2006 9:15 PM:
    >> Sea Star wrote:
    >>> Moz Champion (Dan) sent a subspace message on 3/2/2006 8:03 PM:

    >>> In other words, if the freeware app doesn't work as expected, the I
    >>> can add a separator and buttons to my SnagIt, Google Toolbar, and
    >>> Googlebar Lite toolbars instead.

    >> You may even be able to remove items from those toolbars, and replace
    >> them with buttons of your own choosing

    > Maybe I should install a new toolbar, one I would not use for its
    > intended purpose. I could then remove all its buttons except one. Then
    > I'd add my own buttons and remove the last one it came with.
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help.

    You can make an extension to hide your custom toolbar on every load
    event and put a toggle button on the menubar or wherever, to show it
    when you want it. It is a solvable problem; it just doesn't have a
    built-in solution in Firefox. I'm a total beginner at extension
    development, but I'll save this thread and maybe I'll work on making an
    extension that does that with an options dialog to enter the id of your
    toolbar (which will be ' __customToolbar_toolbarname' ) which you can
    find by inspecting a browser window with the DOM Inspector. The scripts
    in extensions get run when the browser loads and it is a simple script
    to toggle a toolbar by id. I'm still learning options dialogs though.
    I'll let you know when I have it done for you.

    Alan

  15. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Alan Beaman sent a subspace message on 3/3/2006 6:05 AM:

    > You can make an extension to hide your custom toolbar on every load
    > event and put a toggle button on the menubar or wherever, to show it
    > when you want it. It is a solvable problem; it just doesn't have a
    > built-in solution in Firefox. I'm a total beginner at extension
    > development, but I'll save this thread and maybe I'll work on making an
    > extension that does that with an options dialog to enter the id of your
    > toolbar (which will be ' __customToolbar_toolbarname' ) which you can
    > find by inspecting a browser window with the DOM Inspector. The scripts
    > in extensions get run when the browser loads and it is a simple script
    > to toggle a toolbar by id. I'm still learning options dialogs though.
    > I'll let you know when I have it done for you.
    >
    > Alan

    If you do make such an extension, it should be compatible with both
    Firefox and Thunderbird. Thanks.

  16. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Sea Star wrote:
    > Alan Beaman sent a subspace message on 3/3/2006 6:05 AM:
    >
    >> You can make an extension to hide your custom toolbar on every load
    >> event and put a toggle button on the menubar or wherever, to show it
    >> when you want it. It is a solvable problem; it just doesn't have a
    >> built-in solution in Firefox. I'm a total beginner at extension
    >> development, but I'll save this thread and maybe I'll work on making
    >> an extension that does that with an options dialog to enter the id of
    >> your toolbar (which will be ' __customToolbar_toolbarname' ) which you
    >> can find by inspecting a browser window with the DOM Inspector. The
    >> scripts in extensions get run when the browser loads and it is a
    >> simple script to toggle a toolbar by id. I'm still learning options
    >> dialogs though. I'll let you know when I have it done for you.
    >>
    >> Alan

    > If you do make such an extension, it should be compatible with both
    > Firefox and Thunderbird. Thanks.

    I have TB 1.5 on Windows 98. My Thunderbird doesn't offer the
    possibility of adding a new toolbar through the Customize Toolbar
    dialog. Sorry. No can do. I'm already working on the one for Firefox though.

  17. Re: Custom toolbar problems in Firefox 1.5.0.1

    Alan Beaman wrote:

    > Sea Star wrote:
    >
    >>Alan Beaman sent a subspace message on 3/3/2006 6:05 AM:
    >>

    >>>You can make an extension to hide your custom toolbar on every load
    >>>event and put a toggle button on the menubar or wherever, to show it
    >>>when you want it. It is a solvable problem; it just doesn't have a
    >>>built-in solution in Firefox. I'm a total beginner at extension
    >>>development, but I'll save this thread and maybe I'll work on making
    >>>an extension that does that with an options dialog to enter the id of
    >>>your toolbar (which will be ' __customToolbar_toolbarname' ) which you
    >>>can find by inspecting a browser window with the DOM Inspector. The
    >>>scripts in extensions get run when the browser loads and it is a
    >>>simple script to toggle a toolbar by id. I'm still learning options
    >>>dialogs though. I'll let you know when I have it done for you.
    >>>
    >>>Alan

    >>If you do make such an extension, it should be compatible with both
    >>Firefox and Thunderbird. Thanks.

    > I have TB 1.5 on Windows 98. My Thunderbird doesn't offer the
    > possibility of adding a new toolbar through the Customize Toolbar
    > dialog. Sorry. No can do. I'm already working on the one for Firefox though.

    you can only add an extra toolbar in FF, not TB

+ Reply to Thread