missing plugin and can't figure it out - Mozilla

This is a discussion on missing plugin and can't figure it out - Mozilla ; This page needs a plug in - I try to install it, I clicked on the "install missing plugins" - and nothing happens. I get to a window that says manually install the plugin but nothing happens there either. http://www.ekornes.com/usa/stressles...r/1_avi_NN.htm ...

  1. missing plugin and can't figure it out

    This page needs a plug in - I try to install it, I clicked
    on the "install missing plugins" - and nothing happens. I
    get to a window that says manually install the plugin but
    nothing happens there either.

    http://www.ekornes.com/usa/stressles...r/1_avi_NN.htm

    Am I missing a plug in and if so, how do I find out which one?

    TIA

    Louise

  2. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    On 28-02-2006 19:49 CET, louise composed this enchanting statement:
    > This page needs a plug in - I try to install it, I clicked on the
    > "install missing plugins" - and nothing happens. I get to a window
    > that says manually install the plugin but nothing happens there either.
    >
    > http://www.ekornes.com/usa/stressles...r/1_avi_NN.htm
    >
    > Am I missing a plug in and if so, how do I find out which one?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Louise

    The page is looking for a player supporting mime type 'video/x-msvideo'.
    Could that be the Window Media Player (WMP)? ;-)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  3. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 28-02-2006 19:49 CET, louise composed this enchanting statement:
    >
    >> This page needs a plug in - I try to install it, I clicked on the
    >> "install missing plugins" - and nothing happens. I get to a window
    >> that says manually install the plugin but nothing happens there either.
    >>
    >> http://www.ekornes.com/usa/stressles...r/1_avi_NN.htm
    >>
    >> Am I missing a plug in and if so, how do I find out which one?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Louise

    > The page is looking for a player supporting mime type 'video/x-msvideo'.
    > Could that be the Window Media Player (WMP)? ;-)

    About:Plugins says:
    Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library

    File name: npdsplay.dll
    Npdsplay dll

    MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
    application/asx Media Files * Yes
    video/x-ms-asf-plugin Media Files * Yes
    application/x-mplayer2 Media Files * Yes
    video/x-ms-asf Media Files asf,asx,* Yes
    video/x-ms-wm Media Files wm,* Yes
    audio/x-ms-wma Media Files wma,* Yes
    audio/x-ms-wax Media Files wax,* Yes
    video/x-ms-wmv Media Files wmv,* Yes
    video/x-ms-wvx Media Files

    How do I add 'video/x-msvideo'.?

    TIA

    Louise

  4. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    > On 28-02-2006 19:49 CET, louise composed this enchanting statement:
    >
    >>This page needs a plug in - I try to install it, I clicked on the
    >>"install missing plugins" - and nothing happens. I get to a window
    >>that says manually install the plugin but nothing happens there either.
    >>
    >>http://www.ekornes.com/usa/stressles...r/1_avi_NN.htm
    >>
    >>Am I missing a plug in and if so, how do I find out which one?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>Louise

    > The page is looking for a player supporting mime type 'video/x-msvideo'.
    > Could that be the Window Media Player (WMP)? ;-)

    msvideo: QT or VLC Media Player

    Try VCL first: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

  5. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    gwtc wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >
    >> On 28-02-2006 19:49 CET, louise composed this enchanting statement:
    >>
    >>> This page needs a plug in - I try to install it, I clicked on the
    >>> "install missing plugins" - and nothing happens. I get to a window
    >>> that says manually install the plugin but nothing happens there either.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ekornes.com/usa/stressles...r/1_avi_NN.htm
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing a plug in and if so, how do I find out which one?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Louise

    >> The page is looking for a player supporting mime type 'video/x-msvideo'.
    >> Could that be the Window Media Player (WMP)? ;-)
    >>

    > msvideo: QT or VLC Media Player
    >
    > Try VCL first: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    VCL didn't work. After installation, including mozilla
    plugin etc., I get a grey box on the screen where the video
    should be. about 10 seconds later the grey box disappears
    and I have a blank screen.

    What's QT and where would I get it?

    Louise

  6. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    louise wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 28-02-2006 19:49 CET, louise composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> The page is looking for a player supporting mime type 'video/x-msvideo'.
    >>> Could that be the Window Media Player (WMP)? ;-)
    >>>

    >> msvideo: QT or VLC Media Player
    >>
    >> Try VCL first: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

    > Thanks for the suggestion.
    >
    > VCL didn't work. After installation, including mozilla plugin etc., I
    > get a grey box on the screen where the video should be. about 10
    > seconds later the grey box disappears and I have a blank screen.
    >
    > What's QT and where would I get it?
    >
    > Louise

    QT = QuickTime, the Apple media player. www.quicktime.com

  7. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    louise wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>

    >>>On 28-02-2006 19:49 CET, louise composed this enchanting statement:

    >>>The page is looking for a player supporting mime type 'video/x-msvideo'.
    >>>Could that be the Window Media Player (WMP)? ;-)
    >>>

    >>msvideo: QT or VLC Media Player
    >>
    >>Try VCL first: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

    > Thanks for the suggestion.
    >
    > VCL didn't work. After installation, including mozilla
    > plugin etc., I get a grey box on the screen where the video
    > should be. about 10 seconds later the grey box disappears
    > and I have a blank screen.
    >
    > What's QT and where would I get it?
    >
    > Louise

    VCL: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows-all.html#VLC
    QT: QuickTime: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows-all.html#QuickTime

  8. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    gwtc wrote:
    > louise wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> msvideo: QT or VLC Media Player
    >>>
    >>> Try VCL first: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

    >> Thanks for the suggestion.
    >>
    >> VCL didn't work. After installation, including mozilla plugin etc., I
    >> get a grey box on the screen where the video should be. about 10
    >> seconds later the grey box disappears and I have a blank screen.
    >>
    >> What's QT and where would I get it?
    >>
    >> Louise

    > VCL: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows-all.html#VLC
    > QT: QuickTime: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows-all.html#QuickTime

    OK - both are installed (QT was, but I reinstalled it) and
    neither works - just the grey box.

    Louise

  9. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    louise wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>louise wrote:

    >>>Thanks for the suggestion.
    >>>
    >>>VCL didn't work. After installation, including mozilla plugin etc., I
    >>>get a grey box on the screen where the video should be. about 10
    >>>seconds later the grey box disappears and I have a blank screen.
    >>>
    >>>What's QT and where would I get it?
    >>>
    >>>Louise

    >>VCL: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows-all.html#VLC
    >>QT: QuickTime: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows-all.html#QuickTime

    > OK - both are installed (QT was, but I reinstalled it) and
    > neither works - just the grey box.
    >
    > Louise

    OK, I just tested the site. I get a popup that says:

    "MMSYSTEM281. This file could not be played. Check the file name or
    install a driver that supports this type of file."

    I tried it out in IE and its the built in [plugin] WMP.

  10. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    On 01-03-2006 17:11 CET, gwtc composed this enchanting statement:
    > louise wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> VCL: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows-all.html#VLC
    >>> QT: QuickTime: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows-all.html#QuickTime

    >> OK - both are installed (QT was, but I reinstalled it) and neither
    >> works - just the grey box.
    >>
    >> Louise

    > OK, I just tested the site. I get a popup that says:
    >
    > "MMSYSTEM281. This file could not be played. Check the file name or
    > install a driver that supports this type of file."
    >
    > I tried it out in IE and its the built in [plugin] WMP.

    mime type 'video/x-msvideo'!

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  11. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    > On 01-03-2006 17:11 CET, gwtc composed this enchanting statement:
    >
    >>louise wrote:

    >>>OK - both are installed (QT was, but I reinstalled it) and neither
    >>>works - just the grey box.
    >>>
    >>>Louise

    >>OK, I just tested the site. I get a popup that says:
    >>
    >>"MMSYSTEM281. This file could not be played. Check the file name or
    >>install a driver that supports this type of file."
    >>
    >>I tried it out in IE and its the built in [plugin] WMP.

    > mime type 'video/x-msvideo'!

    in this page: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/winmime.html do a search for
    msvideo and you will have two entries, both of which says either QT or
    VLC. Not WMP.

    In aboutlugins, msvideo is registered to NPAVI32 Dynamic Link Library

  12. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    On 01-03-2006 19:49 CET, gwtc composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> OK, I just tested the site. I get a popup that says:
    >>>
    >>> "MMSYSTEM281. This file could not be played. Check the file name or
    >>> install a driver that supports this type of file."
    >>>
    >>> I tried it out in IE and its the built in [plugin] WMP.

    >> mime type 'video/x-msvideo'!

    > in this page: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/winmime.html do a search for
    > msvideo and you will have two entries, both of which says either QT or
    > VLC. Not WMP.
    >
    > In aboutlugins, msvideo is registered to NPAVI32 Dynamic Link Library

    OK. It appears to be a M$ Windows only type, surprisingly not supported
    by WMP.
    Mac's QT 6 plug-in does recognize this mime type. VLC is for Windows only.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  13. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 01-03-2006 19:49 CET, gwtc composed this enchanting statement:
    >
    >>Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 01-03-2006 17:11 CET, gwtc composed this enchanting statement:

    >>>mime type 'video/x-msvideo'!

    >>in this page: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/winmime.html do a search for
    >>msvideo and you will have two entries, both of which says either QT or
    >>VLC. Not WMP.
    >>
    >>In aboutlugins, msvideo is registered to NPAVI32 Dynamic Link Library

    > OK. It appears to be a M$ Windows only type, surprisingly not supported
    > by WMP.
    > Mac's QT 6 plug-in does recognize this mime type. VLC is for Windows only.

    for VLC -- obviously you didn't look hard enough. Its a very
    multi-platform program. Its one of the few media players that will
    operate on a multitude of OSs: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

  14. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    gwtc wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> in this page: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/winmime.html do a search
    >>> for msvideo and you will have two entries, both of which says either
    >>> QT or VLC. Not WMP.
    >>>
    >>> In aboutlugins, msvideo is registered to NPAVI32 Dynamic Link Library

    >> OK. It appears to be a M$ Windows only type, surprisingly not
    >> supported by WMP.
    >> Mac's QT 6 plug-in does recognize this mime type. VLC is for Windows
    >> only.
    >>

    > for VLC -- obviously you didn't look hard enough. Its a very
    > multi-platform program. Its one of the few media players that will
    > operate on a multitude of OSs: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

    I downloaded and installed QT and VLC. Nevertheless, I get
    a grey box on the screen where the video is supposed to be,
    the grey box goes away in about 3 seconds, and the page
    remains black.

    I notice there are a lof of configuration options with VLC.
    Which file types shoudl belong to VLC?

    Thanks yet again.

    Louise

  15. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    louise wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>

    >>>On 01-03-2006 19:49 CET, gwtc composed this enchanting statement:

    >>>OK. It appears to be a M$ Windows only type, surprisingly not
    >>>supported by WMP.
    >>>Mac's QT 6 plug-in does recognize this mime type. VLC is for Windows
    >>>only.
    >>>

    >>for VLC -- obviously you didn't look hard enough. Its a very
    >>multi-platform program. Its one of the few media players that will
    >>operate on a multitude of OSs: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

    > I downloaded and installed QT and VLC. Nevertheless, I get
    > a grey box on the screen where the video is supposed to be,
    > the grey box goes away in about 3 seconds, and the page
    > remains black.
    >
    > I notice there are a lof of configuration options with VLC.
    > Which file types shoudl belong to VLC?
    >
    > Thanks yet again.
    >
    > Louise

    As previously posted, you can find most of what you want here:
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/winmime.html

  16. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    On 02-03-2006 05:54 CET, gwtc composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> in this page: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/winmime.html do a search
    >>> for msvideo and you will have two entries, both of which says either
    >>> QT or VLC. Not WMP.
    >>>
    >>> In aboutlugins, msvideo is registered to NPAVI32 Dynamic Link Library

    >> OK. It appears to be a M$ Windows only type, surprisingly not
    >> supported by WMP.
    >> Mac's QT 6 plug-in does recognize this mime type. VLC is for Windows
    >> only.

    > for VLC -- obviously you didn't look hard enough. Its a very
    > multi-platform program. Its one of the few media players that will
    > operate on a multitude of OSs: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

    No, I didn't look around too much, only used your reference
    . I'll have a closer look now
    as VLC is available for MacOS X. Thanks!
    P.S. Is it me or you putting in an extra line in every single quote?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  17. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    [SNIP]
    > P.S. Is it me or you putting in an extra line in every single quote?

    what extra line?

  18. Re: missing plugin and can't figure it out

    On 02-03-2006 19:25 CET, gwtc composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >
    > [SNIP]
    >> P.S. Is it me or you putting in an extra line in every single quote?
    >>

    > what extra line?

    it looks like all blanks.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

+ Reply to Thread