Home Page - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Home Page - Mozilla ; My Home Page is being changed without my consent to http://www.msn.com/ . What should I do to insure that it is what I set it to be and not what some software is forcing the browser to do?...

  1. Home Page

    My Home Page is being changed without my consent to http://www.msn.com/.
    What should I do to insure that it is what I set it to be and not what some
    software is forcing the browser to do?

  2. Re: Home Page

    HStaton wrote:

    > My Home Page is being changed without my consent to http://www.msn.com/.
    > What should I do to insure that it is what I set it to be and not what some
    > software is forcing the browser to do?

    it seems this is popping up more and more lately.

    in the address bar type in about:config and look for these entries:

    -- browser.startup.autoload_homepage -- should be set to true

    -- browser.startup.homepage_override.1 -- should be set to true

    -- startup.homepage_override_url -- should be set to mozilla.org, and
    this can be changed

    -- browser.startup.homepage -- this is what you need, and this should
    be set to your home page.

    If anything is not normal, double click on them and make the necessary
    changes. If they are normal, then do a virus scan, spybot scan,
    adware scan, and any other type of scan you can think of.

  3. Re: Home Page

    I was only able to modify the last item on your To-Do List i.e.

    -- browser.startup.homepage -- this is what you need, and this should
    be set to your home page.

    The other commands you indicated to be changed do not show up. Will post if
    the change was effective or not. Thanks for your help.

    "gwtc" wrote in
    message news:vpmdnVK4_oJRBZ7ZRVn-rQ@mozilla.org...
    > HStaton wrote:
    >
    >> My Home Page is being changed without my consent to http://www.msn.com/.
    >> What should I do to insure that it is what I set it to be and not what
    >> some software is forcing the browser to do?

    > it seems this is popping up more and more lately.
    >
    > in the address bar type in about:config and look for these entries:
    >
    > -- browser.startup.autoload_homepage -- should be set to true
    >
    > -- browser.startup.homepage_override.1 -- should be set to true
    >
    > -- startup.homepage_override_url -- should be set to mozilla.org, and this
    > can be changed
    >
    > -- browser.startup.homepage -- this is what you need, and this should be
    > set to your home page.
    >
    > If anything is not normal, double click on them and make the necessary
    > changes. If they are normal, then do a virus scan, spybot scan, adware
    > scan, and any other type of scan you can think of.

  4. Re: Home Page

    Problem still not solved.

    Actions thus far taken:
    I inserted all the missing command lines to assure me that I had followed
    the settings for about:config indicated by gwtc.

    I have the following spyware which I run on a regular basis:

    AdAware
    SpyBot Search and Destroy

    I keep the following antispyware active permanently:
    CounterSpy
    SpySweeper

    I ran Root Kit Revealer and nothing suspect has occured.

    Observation
    IE is also impacted with the msn setting for the home page even though I
    insist it be some other page. The change takes place after restarting the
    computer, never while on and after having reset the homepage setting.

    "HStaton" wrote in message
    >I was only able to modify the last item on your To-Do List i.e.
    >
    > -- browser.startup.homepage -- this is what you need, and this should
    > be set to your home page.
    >
    > The other commands you indicated to be changed do not show up. Will post
    > if the change was effective or not. Thanks for your help.
    >
    > "gwtc" wrote
    > in message news:vpmdnVK4_oJRBZ7ZRVn-rQ@mozilla.org...
    >> HStaton wrote:
    >>
    >>> My Home Page is being changed without my consent to http://www.msn.com/.
    >>> What should I do to insure that it is what I set it to be and not what
    >>> some software is forcing the browser to do?

    >> it seems this is popping up more and more lately.
    >>
    >> in the address bar type in about:config and look for these entries:
    >>
    >> -- browser.startup.autoload_homepage -- should be set to true
    >>
    >> -- browser.startup.homepage_override.1 -- should be set to true
    >>
    >> -- startup.homepage_override_url -- should be set to mozilla.org, and
    >> this can be changed
    >>
    >> -- browser.startup.homepage -- this is what you need, and this should be
    >> set to your home page.
    >>
    >> If anything is not normal, double click on them and make the necessary
    >> changes. If they are normal, then do a virus scan, spybot scan, adware
    >> scan, and any other type of scan you can think of.

  5. Re: Home Page

    HStaton wrote:
    > My Home Page is being changed without my consent to http://www.msn.com/.
    > What should I do to insure that it is what I set it to be and not what some
    > software is forcing the browser to do?

    What is the URL for your preferred homepage?

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  6. Re: Home Page

    http://aldaily.com

    "Irwin Greenwald" wrote in message
    > HStaton wrote:
    >> My Home Page is being changed without my consent to http://www.msn.com/.
    >> What should I do to insure that it is what I set it to be and not what
    >> some software is forcing the browser to do?

    > What is the URL for your preferred homepage?
    >
    > --
    > Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    > *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*
    >
    > Etiquette - http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
    > About Profiles -
    > http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingree...0Profiles.html
    > OE Quotefix - http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

  7. Re: Home Page

    HStaton wrote:
    > http://aldaily.com
    >
    > "Irwin Greenwald" wrote in message
    >> HStaton wrote:
    >>> My Home Page is being changed without my consent to http://www.msn.com/.
    >>> What should I do to insure that it is what I set it to be and not what
    >>> some software is forcing the browser to do?

    >> What is the URL for your preferred homepage?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    >> *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*
    >>
    >> Etiquette - http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
    >> About Profiles -
    >> http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingree...0Profiles.html
    >> OE Quotefix - http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

    Start>>Run>>msconfig and look at the Startup tab to see if anything
    looks unusual, e.g., is MSN Explorer listed?