Saving a Portion of your Bookmarks to another computer - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Saving a Portion of your Bookmarks to another computer - Mozilla ; To follow up on Rich Wilson's "saving favorites to another computer", how do you copy only a portion of the full bookmark information, and paste it in another computer? I wanted to do that with a single computer pinball folder ...

  1. Saving a Portion of your Bookmarks to another computer

    To follow up on Rich Wilson's "saving favorites to another computer",
    how do you copy only a portion of the full bookmark information, and
    paste it in another computer?

    I wanted to do that with a single computer pinball folder and paste the
    info into a friend's FF bookmarks....not my entire Bookmark info, but I
    didn't see how to do it easily.

    It's easy to do in IE, because the folders are easily copied in Explore.

  2. Re: Saving a Portion of your Bookmarks to another computer

    Dan Sherwood wrote:
    > To follow up on Rich Wilson's "saving favorites to another computer",
    > how do you copy only a portion of the full bookmark information, and
    > paste it in another computer?
    >
    > I wanted to do that with a single computer pinball folder and paste the
    > info into a friend's FF bookmarks....not my entire Bookmark info, but I
    > didn't see how to do it easily.
    >
    > It's easy to do in IE, because the folders are easily copied in Explore.

    probably do it the same way...
    export>import, then delete what you don't want.
    -or-
    backup, delete everything but, export, then restore.

  3. Re: Saving a Portion of your Bookmarks to another computer

    clay wrote:
    > Dan Sherwood wrote:
    >> To follow up on Rich Wilson's "saving favorites to another computer",
    >> how do you copy only a portion of the full bookmark information, and
    >> paste it in another computer?
    >>
    >> I wanted to do that with a single computer pinball folder and paste
    >> the info into a friend's FF bookmarks....not my entire Bookmark info,
    >> but I didn't see how to do it easily.
    >>
    >> It's easy to do in IE, because the folders are easily copied in Explore.

    > probably do it the same way...
    > export>import, then delete what you don't want.
    > -or-
    > backup, delete everything but, export, then restore.

    Yep, I can see how both of these will work. Thanks.
    Messy though! :-\

  4. Re: Saving a Portion of your Bookmarks to another computer

    Dan Sherwood wrote:
    > clay wrote:
    >> Dan Sherwood wrote:
    >>> To follow up on Rich Wilson's "saving favorites to another computer",
    >>> how do you copy only a portion of the full bookmark information, and
    >>> paste it in another computer?
    >>>
    >>> I wanted to do that with a single computer pinball folder and paste
    >>> the info into a friend's FF bookmarks....not my entire Bookmark info,
    >>> but I didn't see how to do it easily.
    >>>
    >>> It's easy to do in IE, because the folders are easily copied in Explore.

    >> probably do it the same way...
    >> export>import, then delete what you don't want.
    >> -or-
    >> backup, delete everything but, export, then restore.

    > Yep, I can see how both of these will work. Thanks.
    > Messy though! :-\

    It is a mess, because bookmarks are not in the same order in the source
    code as they appear in the Bookmarks Manager or even a browser.

    Until somebody makes an extension for the purpose, here is the fastest,
    easiest way to do what you want on a Windows machine:

    Either using the Microsoft Favorites import-export tool or from inside
    Internet Explorer, import your Firefox bookmarks to Internet Explorer.
    Then use the IE favorites export to export only the folder you want to
    export -- no screwing around in the html source necessary and get it
    done in a hurry.

    I'm not sure if this is a reported bug or not but it ought to be. Maybe
    it's only a feature on the wish list. I wish for it. If I was a genius
    Javascript programmer I'd make an extension to the Bookmarks Manager
    that would allow you to export selected portions instead of everything
    you have. It sure would be nice.

  5. Re: Saving a Portion of your Bookmarks to another computer

    Alan Beaman wrote in
    :

    > Until somebody makes an extension for the purpose, here is the
    > fastest, easiest way to do what you want on a Windows machine:
    >
    > Either using the Microsoft Favorites import-export tool or from
    > inside Internet Explorer, import your Firefox bookmarks to
    > Internet Explorer. Then use the IE favorites export to export only
    > the folder you want to export -- no screwing around in the html
    > source necessary and get it done in a hurry.

    Using an external program such a IE will strip out some Firefox
    features, such as live bookmarks and keywords, from the bookmarks in
    the subfolder.

    To export/import subfolders, the Bookmarks Synchronizer extension is
    excellent.

  6. Re: Saving a Portion of your Bookmarks to another computer

    Q wrote:
    > Alan Beaman wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> Until somebody makes an extension for the purpose, here is the
    >> fastest, easiest way to do what you want on a Windows machine:
    >>
    >> Either using the Microsoft Favorites import-export tool or from
    >> inside Internet Explorer, import your Firefox bookmarks to
    >> Internet Explorer. Then use the IE favorites export to export only
    >> the folder you want to export -- no screwing around in the html
    >> source necessary and get it done in a hurry.

    > Using an external program such a IE will strip out some Firefox
    > features, such as live bookmarks and keywords, from the bookmarks in
    > the subfolder.
    >
    > To export/import subfolders, the Bookmarks Synchronizer extension is
    > excellent.

    This extension does not import or export subfolders to a local file. It
    is designed to synchronize online bookmarks with local bookmarks. Not
    the same thing.

  7. Re: Saving a Portion of your Bookmarks to another computer

    Alan Beaman wrote in
    :

    > Q wrote:

    >> To export/import subfolders, the Bookmarks Synchronizer extension
    >> is excellent.
    >>

    > This extension does not import or export subfolders to a local
    > file.

    You are mistaken. It does do that.

    > It is designed to synchronize online bookmarks with local
    > bookmarks. Not the same thing.

    As with many extensions, this one can do more than one thing.