Can Firefox be updated remotely? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Can Firefox be updated remotely? - Mozilla ; The place where I work has recenly inflicted a new Ghost image on us that removed "non-standard" tabbed browsers (Firefox, Opera, MyIE2, SlimBrowser etc) and gave us IE & the MSN Toolbar so that we have tabs 'just like we ...

  1. Can Firefox be updated remotely?

    The place where I work has recenly inflicted a new Ghost image on us that
    removed "non-standard" tabbed browsers (Firefox, Opera, MyIE2, SlimBrowser
    etc) and gave us IE & the MSN Toolbar so that we have tabs 'just like we
    used to'..... So yeah, I won't even go further with that.

    Anyway, the reason they took Firefox etc. away from us is that they can push
    updates out to IE since it's entwined in Windows.

    It is not sufficient for them to take it as given that we the users are
    notified by the program itself when there are updates available and then go
    and update it because they have no GUARANTEE that we will update it
    immediately

    Is there some way that they can do it 'centrally' so that I can tell them to
    go stick IE & the MSN Toolbar and give me me back my REAL browser?

    Oh please, oh please, oh please say that there is some way to do this.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Andrew

  2. Re: Can Firefox be updated remotely?

    > Anyway, the reason they took Firefox etc. away from us is that they
    > can push updates out to IE since it's entwined in Windows.
    >
    > It is not sufficient for them to take it as given that we the users
    > are notified by the program itself when there are updates available
    > and then go and update it because they have no GUARANTEE that we will
    > update it immediately
    >
    > Is there some way that they can do it 'centrally' so that I can tell
    > them to go stick IE & the MSN Toolbar and give me me back my REAL
    > browser?

    Look under tools> options> advanced> update>
    and push the automatic update button.

    Good luck with the IT twits. Remember that not that long ago some of
    them could not even spell _IT_ and now they are IT professionals. ;-)

    -Jim

  3. Re: Can Firefox be updated remotely?

    AyJay wrote:

    > The place where I work has recenly inflicted a new Ghost image on us that
    > removed "non-standard" tabbed browsers (Firefox, Opera, MyIE2, SlimBrowser
    > etc) and gave us IE & the MSN Toolbar so that we have tabs 'just like we
    > used to'..... So yeah, I won't even go further with that.
    >
    > Anyway, the reason they took Firefox etc. away from us is that they can push
    > updates out to IE since it's entwined in Windows.
    >
    > It is not sufficient for them to take it as given that we the users are
    > notified by the program itself when there are updates available and then go
    > and update it because they have no GUARANTEE that we will update it
    > immediately
    >
    > Is there some way that they can do it 'centrally' so that I can tell them to
    > go stick IE & the MSN Toolbar and give me me back my REAL browser?
    >
    > Oh please, oh please, oh please say that there is some way to do this.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.
    >
    > Andrew

    go talk to them.

    I don't know if this would work, but you can carry FF, TB, and others
    around with you, by putting it on a memory stick or flash card or
    whatever. All you have to do is plug it into a USB port and off you
    go: http://portableapps.com/apps

  4. Re: Can Firefox be updated remotely?

    On 26-02-2006 19:16 CET, AyJay composed this enchanting statement:
    > The place where I work has recenly inflicted a new Ghost image on us that
    > removed "non-standard" tabbed browsers (Firefox, Opera, MyIE2, SlimBrowser
    > etc) and gave us IE & the MSN Toolbar so that we have tabs 'just like we
    > used to'..... So yeah, I won't even go further with that.
    >
    > Anyway, the reason they took Firefox etc. away from us is that they can push
    > updates out to IE since it's entwined in Windows.
    >
    > It is not sufficient for them to take it as given that we the users are
    > notified by the program itself when there are updates available and then go
    > and update it because they have no GUARANTEE that we will update it
    > immediately
    >
    > Is there some way that they can do it 'centrally' so that I can tell them to
    > go stick IE & the MSN Toolbar and give me me back my REAL browser?
    >
    > Oh please, oh please, oh please say that there is some way to do this.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    Of course, they can install the Firefox (FF) program centrally, assuming
    you are in a company network, such as Windows NT. I think they would
    install a security upgrade when it becomes available, but put any
    functional upgrade on the shelf to mature some weeks or even months.

    The user profile will tailor FF to your needs. The challenge is how exactly
    the initial profile is created, at first invocation. Thinking ......

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  5. Re: Can Firefox be updated remotely?

    "AyJay" wrote in
    :

    > Anyway, the reason they took Firefox etc. away from us is that
    > they can push updates out to IE since it's entwined in Windows.
    >
    > It is not sufficient for them to take it as given that we the
    > users are notified by the program itself when there are updates
    > available and then go and update it because they have no GUARANTEE
    > that we will update it immediately

    Or at all. I just ran across two cow orkers both using Fx 1.0.1 last
    week.

    > Is there some way that they can do it 'centrally' so that I can
    > tell them to go stick IE & the MSN Toolbar and give me me back my
    > REAL browser?
    >
    > Oh please, oh please, oh please say that there is some way to do
    > this.

    Unfortunately, AFAIK there isn't. The idea has been kicked around for
    years without much being done. IMO, the Firefox folks have made quite
    a mistake in not making it easy for admins to push updates across their
    network well in advance of IE7's release. Anyway, you might want to
    keep an eye on
    . If that bug
    is ever fixed, your admins will have what they need to push updates.

  6. Re: Can Firefox be updated remotely?

    Q wrote:
    [snip]
    > Or at all. I just ran across two cow orkers both using Fx 1.0.1 last
    > week.

    [snip]
    for those wondering but "cow orkers" is real, and it has nothing to do
    with orking cows:
    http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?...ext=cow-orkers
    http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;...ers&sbid=lc05b

  7. Re: Can Firefox be updated remotely?

    > AyJay wrote:
    >
    >> The place where I work has recenly inflicted a new Ghost image on us that
    >> removed "non-standard" tabbed browsers (Firefox, Opera, MyIE2,
    >> SlimBrowser etc) and gave us IE & the MSN Toolbar so that we have tabs
    >> 'just like we used to'..... So yeah, I won't even go further with that.
    >>
    >> Anyway, the reason they took Firefox etc. away from us is that they can
    >> push updates out to IE since it's entwined in Windows.
    >>
    >> It is not sufficient for them to take it as given that we the users are
    >> notified by the program itself when there are updates available and then
    >> go and update it because they have no GUARANTEE that we will update it
    >> immediately
    >>
    >> Is there some way that they can do it 'centrally' so that I can tell them
    >> to go stick IE & the MSN Toolbar and give me me back my REAL browser?
    >>
    >> Oh please, oh please, oh please say that there is some way to do this.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any suggestions.
    >>
    >> Andrew
    >>

    > go talk to them.
    >
    > I don't know if this would work, but you can carry FF, TB, and others
    > around with you, by putting it on a memory stick or flash card or
    > whatever. All you have to do is plug it into a USB port and off you go:
    > http://portableapps.com/apps

    Unfortunately, when they inflicted the image on us, they DISABLED all
    external drives!
    CD, Floppy, USB - all of them. I used to use my USB thumbstick for backing
    up bookmarks...

    As for talking to them.... to a certain extent, they're following the orders
    of Management, who
    believe that it's such a big deal, and me saying that the 20 things that I
    can no longer do add
    up over the course of the day and reduce my productivity.... but no - they
    don't care.

    Listing off the uses for Copy Plain Text, IE Tab, etc just falls on deaf
    ears, so I'm trying to
    at least take away the objection that they can't update it remotely.

    Good thought, though

  8. Re: Can Firefox be updated remotely?

    AyJay wrote:

    >>AyJay wrote:
    >>

    >>>The place where I work has recenly inflicted a new Ghost image on us that
    >>>removed "non-standard" tabbed browsers (Firefox, Opera, MyIE2,
    >>>SlimBrowser etc) and gave us IE & the MSN Toolbar so that we have tabs
    >>>'just like we used to'..... So yeah, I won't even go further with that.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, the reason they took Firefox etc. away from us is that they can
    >>>push updates out to IE since it's entwined in Windows.
    >>>
    >>>It is not sufficient for them to take it as given that we the users are
    >>>notified by the program itself when there are updates available and then
    >>>go and update it because they have no GUARANTEE that we will update it
    >>>immediately
    >>>
    >>>Is there some way that they can do it 'centrally' so that I can tell them
    >>>to go stick IE & the MSN Toolbar and give me me back my REAL browser?
    >>>
    >>>Oh please, oh please, oh please say that there is some way to do this.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any suggestions.
    >>>
    >>>Andrew
    >>>

    >>go talk to them.
    >>
    >>I don't know if this would work, but you can carry FF, TB, and others
    >>around with you, by putting it on a memory stick or flash card or
    >>whatever. All you have to do is plug it into a USB port and off you go:
    >>http://portableapps.com/apps

    > Unfortunately, when they inflicted the image on us, they DISABLED all
    > external drives!
    > CD, Floppy, USB - all of them. I used to use my USB thumbstick for backing
    > up bookmarks...
    >
    > As for talking to them.... to a certain extent, they're following the orders
    > of Management, who
    > believe that it's such a big deal, and me saying that the 20 things that I
    > can no longer do add
    > up over the course of the day and reduce my productivity.... but no - they
    > don't care.
    >
    > Listing off the uses for Copy Plain Text, IE Tab, etc just falls on deaf
    > ears, so I'm trying to
    > at least take away the objection that they can't update it remotely.
    >
    > Good thought, though

    then by pass the IT people and go directly to management, and convince
    them. Sometimes, all they need is an education. Especially, that
    they are more open to viruses, trojans, worms, and other harmful
    problems by using IE and O/OE than they are with a Mozilla product.

    There was an article out a number of years ago that mentioned that the
    Head of IT Security for MS wouldn't even touch their own products, and
    he only used a Mozilla product. You can search on Wired for the
    article: http://www.wired.com/

  9. Re: Can Firefox be updated remotely?

    On 26-02-2006 21:49 CET, Q composed this enchanting statement:
    > "AyJay" wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> Anyway, the reason they took Firefox etc. away from us is that
    >> they can push updates out to IE since it's entwined in Windows.
    >>
    >> It is not sufficient for them to take it as given that we the
    >> users are notified by the program itself when there are updates
    >> available and then go and update it because they have no GUARANTEE
    >> that we will update it immediately
    >>

    > Or at all. I just ran across two cow orkers both using Fx 1.0.1 last
    > week.
    >
    >> Is there some way that they can do it 'centrally' so that I can
    >> tell them to go stick IE & the MSN Toolbar and give me me back my
    >> REAL browser?
    >>
    >> Oh please, oh please, oh please say that there is some way to do
    >> this.
    >>

    > Unfortunately, AFAIK there isn't. The idea has been kicked around for
    > years without much being done. IMO, the Firefox folks have made quite
    > a mistake in not making it easy for admins to push updates across their
    > network well in advance of IE7's release. Anyway, you might want to
    > keep an eye on
    > . If that bug
    > is ever fixed, your admins will have what they need to push updates.

    Very interesting. I guess a strategic (marketing) plan is required for
    this beauty.
    It is classified as an enhancement. The status is now 'New', free to
    take on, and the priority is 2.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  10. Re: Can Firefox be updated remotely?

    "Jim" wrote in message
    news:cv6dna85hpoeZJzZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >> Anyway, the reason they took Firefox etc. away from us is that they
    >> can push updates out to IE since it's entwined in Windows.
    >>
    >> It is not sufficient for them to take it as given that we the users
    >> are notified by the program itself when there are updates available
    >> and then go and update it because they have no GUARANTEE that we will
    >> update it immediately
    >>
    >> Is there some way that they can do it 'centrally' so that I can tell
    >> them to go stick IE & the MSN Toolbar and give me me back my REAL
    >> browser?

    > Look under tools> options> advanced> update>
    > and push the automatic update button.
    >
    > Good luck with the IT twits. Remember that not that long ago some of them
    > could not even spell _IT_ and now they are IT professionals. ;-)
    >
    > -Jim

    I took a screenshot of the Options-Advanced window and sent it to my manager
    with the following email: