Removal of items, "about:config" - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Removal of items, "about:config" - Mozilla ; The display from "about :config" lists more than a page of entries referring to a printer that I no longer have. Can I delete them? If so, please tell me how. I'm not anxious to mess up any other settings. ...

  1. Removal of items, "about:config"

    The display from "about:config" lists more than a page of entries referring
    to a printer that I no longer have. Can I delete them? If so, please tell
    me how. I'm not anxious to mess up any other settings.

    TIA

    Ken Bland

    --

    A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.

  2. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    Sam 'n' Ella wrote:

    > The display from "about:config" lists more than a page of entries referring
    > to a printer that I no longer have. Can I delete them? If so, please tell
    > me how. I'm not anxious to mess up any other settings.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ken Bland

    Close FF, locate your profile, open the file prefs.js using a texted
    based editor, and delete the entries from there.

    To locate your profile see this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

    and if you're using windows, you have to unhide window files and you
    can do that by reading this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

  3. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    Sam 'n' Ella wrote:
    > The display from "about:config" lists more than a page of entries referring
    > to a printer that I no longer have. Can I delete them? If so, please tell
    > me how. I'm not anxious to mess up any other settings.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ken Bland

    I guess so. After removing flashblock, there was remaining lines about
    it. I removed them and nothing wrong happened. If you're sure that you
    and your OS have no further relationship with that printer, I think it's
    just like orphaned entries in registry and can be removed safely.

  4. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    gwtc wrote:
    > Sam 'n' Ella wrote:
    >
    >> The display from "about:config" lists more than a page of entries
    >> referring
    >> to a printer that I no longer have. Can I delete them? If so, please
    >> tell
    >> me how. I'm not anxious to mess up any other settings.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Ken Bland
    >>

    > Close FF, locate your profile, open the file prefs.js using a texted
    > based editor, and delete the entries from there.
    >
    > To locate your profile see this:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile
    >
    > and if you're using windows, you have to unhide window files and you can
    > do that by reading this:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

    Deleting entries in about:config screen does not make sense? I didn't
    know that. Then we need a user-friendly interface to get rid of junk
    entries. Say we need a new Firefox that has an easily configurable
    interface and support flash well. It's strange that it does not totally
    uninstall an extension. It may ask us to remove unneeded config lines or
    to keep them for future use. Even microsoft uninstallers ask whether to
    keep shared files or to remove them permenantly. These are lines only

  5. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    On 25-02-2006 00:12 CET, Selcuk Ogutcu composed this enchanting statement:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Sam 'n' Ella wrote:
    >>
    >>> The display from "about:config" lists more than a page of entries
    >>> referring
    >>> to a printer that I no longer have. Can I delete them? If so,
    >>> please tell
    >>> me how. I'm not anxious to mess up any other settings.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Ken Bland
    >>>

    >> Close FF, locate your profile, open the file prefs.js using a texted
    >> based editor, and delete the entries from there.
    >>
    >> To locate your profile see this:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile
    >>
    >> and if you're using windows, you have to unhide window files and you
    >> can do that by reading this:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx
    >>

    > Deleting entries in about:config screen does not make sense? I didn't
    > know that. Then we need a user-friendly interface to get rid of junk
    > entries. Say we need a new Firefox that has an easily configurable
    > interface and support flash well. It's strange that it does not
    > totally uninstall an extension. It may ask us to remove unneeded
    > config lines or to keep them for future use. Even microsoft
    > uninstallers ask whether to keep shared files or to remove them
    > permenantly. These are lines only

    you can always reset the entries to default value, for added entries the
    default is that it is removed, that is deleted!

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  6. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    On 02/24/06 18:12, Selcuk Ogutcu wrote:
    > Deleting entries in about:config screen does not make sense? I didn't
    > know that. Then we need a user-friendly interface to get rid of junk
    > entries.

    You can certainly delete entries via about:config, but it would be a
    pain to be right-clicking on 30 or however many there are.

    > Say we need a new Firefox that has an easily configurable
    > interface and support flash well.

    What?

    > It's strange that it does not totally
    > uninstall an extension. It may ask us to remove unneeded config lines or
    > to keep them for future use. Even microsoft uninstallers ask whether to
    > keep shared files or to remove them permenantly. These are lines only

    I suppose. But do Microsoft uninstallers remove all registry entries,
    all user-defined settings? I think there's a bug open on doing this, but
    it would be inconvenient to have to have extensions list which
    preferences they set and which files they create, and users may dislike
    being prompted.

    Extra settings and files, unless they're fairly large or there are a ton
    of them, don't do any harm, other than bothering tidy people.
    --
    Matt Nordhoff, aka Peng

  7. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    [snip]
    > You can certainly delete entries via about:config, but it would be a
    > pain to be right-clicking on 30 or however many there are.

    [snip]
    how do you do that? I only have 5 right click entries: Copy Name,
    Copy Value, New, Modify, and Reset. No Delete. Do you have a special
    extension that adds that?

  8. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    :
[...]
    : --
    : Matt Nordhoff, aka Peng

    Thank you, Matt, you've got me pegged precisely. It's extraneous stuff --
    junk -- and I like to run as clean and lean as I can.

    Ken Bland

  9. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    "gwtc" wrote in
    message news:uf2dncjaJdcvFWLeRVn-ug@mozilla.org...
    : Sam 'n' Ella wrote:
    :
    : > The display from "about:config" lists more than a page of entries
    referring
    : > to a printer that I no longer have. Can I delete them? If so, please
    tell
    : > me how. I'm not anxious to mess up any other settings.
    : >
    : > TIA
    : >
    : > Ken Bland
    : >
    : Close FF, locate your profile, open the file prefs.js using a texted
    : based editor, and delete the entries from there.

    Piece of cake, my friend. Your instructions were clear and exact. All
    references to an old HP printer are gone.

    Thank you,

    Ken Bland

    :
    : To locate your profile see this:
    : http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile
    :
    : and if you're using windows, you have to unhide window files and you
    : can do that by reading this:
    :
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

  10. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    Sam 'n' Ella wrote:
    [snip]
    > Piece of cake, my friend.

    [snip]
    sorry buddy, but I would eat your piece of cake. It might have "sam 'n
    ella" in it. ;-)

  11. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    On 02/25/06 15:04, gwtc wrote:
    > how do you do that? I only have 5 right click entries: Copy Name, Copy
    > Value, New, Modify, and Reset. No Delete. Do you have a special
    > extension that adds that?

    If a preference isn't set by default by the browser or an extension, if
    you Reset it, it's removed on the next startup. So it deletes it, more
    or less.
    --
    Matt Nordhoff, aka Peng

  12. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    On 02/25/06 16:14, Sam 'n' Ella wrote:
    > Thank you, Matt, you've got me pegged precisely. It's extraneous stuff --
    > junk -- and I like to run as clean and lean as I can.

    That reminds me to get rid of stuff related to a few extensions I got
    rid of a couple weeks ago. And the printer junk.

    80, and they're all defaults. And I don't even have the printer hooked
    up (not Linux-compatible, last I checked). I must've used the print
    preview once.

    (Hardly competing with Web Developer, though -- 110.)
    --
    Matt Nordhoff, aka Peng

  13. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    > On 02/25/06 15:04, gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>how do you do that? I only have 5 right click entries: Copy Name, Copy
    >>Value, New, Modify, and Reset. No Delete. Do you have a special
    >>extension that adds that?

    > If a preference isn't set by default by the browser or an extension, if
    > you Reset it, it's removed on the next startup. So it deletes it, more
    > or less.

    OK, I gotcha know

  14. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    "gwtc" wrote in
    message news:L9adnUZq6N1kT53ZRVn-rQ@mozilla.org...
    : Sam 'n' Ella wrote:
    : [snip]
    : > Piece of cake, my friend.
    : [snip]
    : sorry buddy, but I would eat your piece of cake. It might have "sam 'n
    : ella" in it. ;-)

    I'm pleased that you caught it. The pseudonym isn't original -- it is (or
    was) the real name of a small restaurant my sister once mentioned -- but it
    tickled my fancy. And no, I don't think I would be anxious to patronize the
    restaurant unless I knew quite a bit about it.

    Ken Bland

  15. Re: Removal of items, "about:config"

    Sam 'n' Ella wrote:
    > "gwtc" wrote in
    > message news:L9adnUZq6N1kT53ZRVn-rQ@mozilla.org...
    > : Sam 'n' Ella wrote:
    > : [snip]
    > : > Piece of cake, my friend.
    > : [snip]
    > : sorry buddy, but I would eat your piece of cake. It might have "sam 'n
    > : ella" in it. ;-)
    >
    > I'm pleased that you caught it. The pseudonym isn't original -- it is (or
    > was) the real name of a small restaurant my sister once mentioned -- but it
    > tickled my fancy. And no, I don't think I would be anxious to patronize the
    > restaurant unless I knew quite a bit about it.
    >
    > Ken Bland

    The first time I caught that saying was on the cartoon Futurama. Ever
    since, I've been seeing it everywhere.

+ Reply to Thread