who's responsible ? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on who's responsible ? - Mozilla ; friday morning i awoke to a different version of the firefox browser. i don't recall asking for a new version nor was i contacted about firefox changing. as a result of getting something i never asked for , i lost ...

  1. who's responsible ?

    friday morning i awoke to a different version of the firefox browser. i
    don't recall asking
    for a new version nor was i contacted about firefox changing. as a result of
    getting
    something i never asked for , i lost all of my bookmarks. by reading posts
    in this group
    im not the only one. now who is responsible for this lousy up grade ?
    someone needs to get off their ass and change firefox back the way it was or
    fix all of the users problems
    asap.

  2. Re: who's responsible ?

    ZR 600 wrote:
    > friday morning i awoke to a different version of the firefox browser. i
    > don't recall asking
    > for a new version nor was i contacted about firefox changing. as a result of
    > getting
    > something i never asked for , i lost all of my bookmarks. by reading posts
    > in this group
    > im not the only one. now who is responsible for this lousy up grade ?
    > someone needs to get off their ass and change firefox back the way it was or
    > fix all of the users problems
    > asap.

    I agree that automatic upgrades (unless you specifically request them)
    shouldn't happen.

  3. Re: who's responsible ?

    Check your "options>Advanced>update" and see if you have it set to
    automatically update FireFox and/or Thunderbird.

    ZR 600 wrote:
    > friday morning i awoke to a different version of the firefox browser. i
    > don't recall asking
    > for a new version nor was i contacted about firefox changing. as a result of
    > getting
    > something i never asked for , i lost all of my bookmarks. by reading posts
    > in this group
    > im not the only one. now who is responsible for this lousy up grade ?
    > someone needs to get off their ass and change firefox back the way it was or
    > fix all of the users problems
    > asap.

  4. Re: who's responsible ?

    Terry wrote:
    > Check your "options>Advanced>update" and see if you have it set to
    > automatically update FireFox and/or Thunderbird.
    >
    > ZR 600 wrote:
    >> friday morning i awoke to a different version of the firefox browser.
    >> i don't recall asking
    >> for a new version nor was i contacted about firefox changing. as a
    >> result of getting
    >> something i never asked for , i lost all of my bookmarks. by reading
    >> posts in this group
    >> im not the only one. now who is responsible for this lousy up grade ?
    >> someone needs to get off their ass and change firefox back the way it
    >> was or fix all of the users problems
    >> asap.

    Please bottom post to this NG Terry. :-P

    This sounds like a good reason to stick with dialup. I'd assume y'all are
    on cable. Although before I followed Terry's suggestion FF would *ask* me
    if I wanted to. :-\

  5. Re: who's responsible ?

    On 02/12/06 18:55, Don Nickell wrote:
    > This sounds like a good reason to stick with dialup. I'd assume y'all
    > are on cable. Although before I followed Terry's suggestion FF would
    > *ask* me if I wanted to. :-\

    It would still try to update, it would just take a long time to do it on
    dial-up. If you always go through your settings to disable
    bandwidth-using things like this because you're on dial-up, well, people
    on broadband can do that, too.
    --
    Matt Nordhoff, aka Peng

  6. Re: who's responsible ?

    On 02/12/06 17:18, ZR 600 wrote:
    > friday morning i awoke to a different version of the firefox browser. i
    > don't recall asking
    > for a new version nor was i contacted about firefox changing. as a result of
    > getting
    > something i never asked for , i lost all of my bookmarks. by reading posts
    > in this group
    > im not the only one. now who is responsible for this lousy up grade ?
    > someone needs to get off their ass and change firefox back the way it was or
    > fix all of the users problems
    > asap.

    I would say you're responsible. Firefox will tell you it's going to
    update, though it doesn't give you a choice in the matter. But you could
    have previously explored the preferences and turned this off, or read
    the dialog warning you about the update before you clicked okay and then
    backed up your profile [1].

    Unless you were using some ancient version of Firefox, in which case you
    should've been alerted about an update a long time ago, you were using
    Firefox 1.5 and are now using 1.5.0.1. If your bookmarks were deleted,
    there will be a good copy of them in the bookmarkbackups subdirectory of
    your profile [2].

    Close Firefox, rename the "bookmarks.html" file in your profile
    directory to "bookmarks.html.old", copy the most recent file in the
    bookmarkbackups subdirectory that isn't just 10 or 15 KiB to your main
    profile, and rename it to "bookmarks.html".

    However, your bookmarks may not have been deleted. Firefox may not have
    shut down properly last time you closed it, and then prompted you to
    create a new profile when you opened it again. See [3].

    [1]
    [2]
    [3]
    --