OT? *Truly* free search engine for adding as standard search enginein FF - Mozilla

This is a discussion on OT? *Truly* free search engine for adding as standard search enginein FF - Mozilla ; Hi, the recent developments involving Google and Yahoo supporting and facilitating censorship and helping restrict freedom of expression has made me wary of using their services. I've written to at least Google so far to ask where they're heading. Regardless ...

  1. OT? *Truly* free search engine for adding as standard search enginein FF

    Hi,

    the recent developments involving Google and Yahoo supporting and
    facilitating censorship and helping restrict freedom of expression has
    made me wary of using their services. I've written to at least Google so
    far to ask where they're heading.

    Regardless of their (potential) answer, I'd be very glad for tips and/or
    pointers to truly free search engines, preferably open source, to enable
    at least some degree of transparency about how free they really are.

    So far, I've found these initatives, none of which seem ready for prime
    time and/or seem to lack a working portal page:
    http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/
    http://www.openwebspider.org/
    http://www.opensourcesearch.org/wiki..._Source_Search

    I haven't managed to go through and check all the alternatives found in
    these pages yet, and it will very probably take a lot of time, so if
    anyone has tips up front, I'd appreciate it a lot:
    http://searchenginewatch.com/resourc...le.php/2156601
    http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools-opensource.html

    If such an animal that I'm looking for doesn't yet exist, it should be
    high time it gets made:
    - Open source
    - Peer to peer and/or mesh style technology to get enough storage, RAM
    and CPU cycles for indexing and indices and to make it less vulnerable -
    in every aspect
    - Perhaps something like SETI@home style technology for data processing
    - Perhaps distributed (sort of) striped, mirrored/highly redundant (it
    shouldn't matter if even a lot of nodes go down) and encrypted storage
    for the indices (and caches?)
    - Some sort of incentive mechanism (speedier searches? whuffie?
    honorable mention? reciprocal access to computing power?) to share one's
    idle CPU cycles and RAM, and possibly set aside a dedicated part of ones
    HD's.

    As a (potentially huge) aside, if anything like this is made, it could
    also be used to bring and share computing power to anyone on earth with
    an Internet connection (there are very interesting initiatives to bring
    that about to even remote rural areas in the developing world).

    Only having to use a sturdy thin client with Internet access for
    computing and communication would be a big step towards bridging the
    digital divide.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  2. Re: OT? *Truly* free search engine for adding as standard searchengine in FF

    On 12-02-2006 13:01 CET, Gudmund Areskoug composed this enchanting
    statement:
    > Hi,
    >
    > the recent developments involving Google and Yahoo supporting and
    > facilitating censorship and helping restrict freedom of expression has
    > made me wary of using their services. I've written to at least Google so
    > far to ask where they're heading.
    >
    > Regardless of their (potential) answer, I'd be very glad for tips and/or
    > pointers to truly free search engines, preferably open source, to enable
    > at least some degree of transparency about how free they really are.
    >
    > So far, I've found these initatives, none of which seem ready for prime
    > time and/or seem to lack a working portal page:
    > http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/
    > http://www.openwebspider.org/
    > http://www.opensourcesearch.org/wiki..._Source_Search
    >
    > I haven't managed to go through and check all the alternatives found in
    > these pages yet, and it will very probably take a lot of time, so if
    > anyone has tips up front, I'd appreciate it a lot:
    > http://searchenginewatch.com/resourc...le.php/2156601
    > http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools-opensource.html
    >
    > If such an animal that I'm looking for doesn't yet exist, it should be
    > high time it gets made:
    > - Open source
    > - Peer to peer and/or mesh style technology to get enough storage, RAM
    > and CPU cycles for indexing and indices and to make it less vulnerable -
    > in every aspect
    > - Perhaps something like SETI@home style technology for data processing
    > - Perhaps distributed (sort of) striped, mirrored/highly redundant (it
    > shouldn't matter if even a lot of nodes go down) and encrypted storage
    > for the indices (and caches?)
    > - Some sort of incentive mechanism (speedier searches? whuffie?
    > honorable mention? reciprocal access to computing power?) to share one's
    > idle CPU cycles and RAM, and possibly set aside a dedicated part of ones
    > HD's.
    >
    > As a (potentially huge) aside, if anything like this is made, it could
    > also be used to bring and share computing power to anyone on earth with
    > an Internet connection (there are very interesting initiatives to bring
    > that about to even remote rural areas in the developing world).
    >
    > Only having to use a sturdy thin client with Internet access for
    > computing and communication would be a big step towards bridging the
    > digital divide.
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    Opera has or soon will have a Torrent function embedded. Supporters of
    this 'free search' initiative could possibly share a portion of their HD
    space with it. (Need to be investigated further.)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  3. Re: OT? *Truly* free search engine for adding as standard searchengine in FF

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > the recent developments involving Google and Yahoo supporting and
    > facilitating censorship and helping restrict freedom of expression has
    > made me wary of using their services. I've written to at least Google so
    > far to ask where they're heading.
    >
    > Regardless of their (potential) answer, I'd be very glad for tips and/or
    > pointers to truly free search engines, preferably open source, to enable
    > at least some degree of transparency about how free they really are.
    >
    > So far, I've found these initatives, none of which seem ready for prime
    > time and/or seem to lack a working portal page:
    > http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/
    > http://www.openwebspider.org/
    > http://www.opensourcesearch.org/wiki..._Source_Search
    >
    > I haven't managed to go through and check all the alternatives found in
    > these pages yet, and it will very probably take a lot of time, so if
    > anyone has tips up front, I'd appreciate it a lot:
    > http://searchenginewatch.com/resourc...le.php/2156601
    > http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools-opensource.html
    >
    > If such an animal that I'm looking for doesn't yet exist, it should be
    > high time it gets made:
    > - Open source
    > - Peer to peer and/or mesh style technology to get enough storage, RAM
    > and CPU cycles for indexing and indices and to make it less vulnerable -
    > in every aspect
    > - Perhaps something like SETI@home style technology for data processing
    > - Perhaps distributed (sort of) striped, mirrored/highly redundant (it
    > shouldn't matter if even a lot of nodes go down) and encrypted storage
    > for the indices (and caches?)
    > - Some sort of incentive mechanism (speedier searches? whuffie?
    > honorable mention? reciprocal access to computing power?) to share one's
    > idle CPU cycles and RAM, and possibly set aside a dedicated part of ones
    > HD's.
    >
    > As a (potentially huge) aside, if anything like this is made, it could
    > also be used to bring and share computing power to anyone on earth with
    > an Internet connection (there are very interesting initiatives to bring
    > that about to even remote rural areas in the developing world).
    >
    > Only having to use a sturdy thin client with Internet access for
    > computing and communication would be a big step towards bridging the
    > digital divide.
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    dmoz: http://www.dmoz.org/

    This from their site: "The Open Directory Project is the largest, most
    comprehensive human-edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and
    maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors."

    --
    Time for a change

+ Reply to Thread