FF memory leaks - status?? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF memory leaks - status?? - Mozilla ; As have many others, I have reported FF memory leaks via Bugzilla (I weighed in on bug 324880). I haven't been on this forum in the past, so I don't know how much discussion there has been on this subject, ...

  1. FF memory leaks - status??

    As have many others, I have reported FF memory leaks via Bugzilla (I weighed
    in on bug 324880). I haven't been on this forum in the past, so I don't know
    how much discussion there has been on this subject, though I imagine there
    has been a fair amount.

    With 1.5.0.1 I am seeing a leak on the order of what we would call a
    "showstopper" in my software development organization. Several hundred MB of
    memory used within a couple of hours of use is a Sev 1 problem. Is anyone
    able to share input on how much effort is being put into identifying and
    curing these memory management problems? In my own review of Bugzilla
    reports, it seems that most of the current ones relating to this subject are
    not getting much attention. But that could be simply because I wasn't
    looking at the right thing...

    Ever since I started using FF (which I happen to like a lot) there have been
    memory management issues. Continual memory problems - especially when they
    are of the severity I'm seeing, are not helpful in furthering the adoption
    of FF. Indeed, they could cause a number of organizations that have recently
    begun to adopt it to change their minds.

    Anyway, what *is* happening with regard to these memory problems?

  2. Re: FF memory leaks - status??

    "Rick McCarty" wrote in

    > As have many others, I have reported FF memory leaks via
    > Bugzilla (I weighed in on bug 324880). I haven't been on this
    > forum in the past, so I don't know how much discussion there
    > has been on this subject, though I imagine there has been a
    > fair amount.
    >
    > With 1.5.0.1 I am seeing a leak on the order of what we would
    > call a "showstopper" in my software development organization.
    > Several hundred MB of memory used within a couple of hours of
    > use is a Sev 1 problem. Is anyone able to share input on how
    > much effort is being put into identifying and curing these
    > memory management problems? In my own review of Bugzilla
    > reports, it seems that most of the current ones relating to
    > this subject are not getting much attention. But that could be
    > simply because I wasn't looking at the right thing...
    >
    > Ever since I started using FF (which I happen to like a lot)
    > there have been memory management issues. Continual memory
    > problems - especially when they are of the severity I'm
    > seeing, are not helpful in furthering the adoption of FF.
    > Indeed, they could cause a number of organizations that have
    > recently begun to adopt it to change their minds.
    >
    > Anyway, what *is* happening with regard to these memory
    > problems?

    This is a peer support group. Bugzilla is the place to learn
    about bugs. there are also developer forums on mozillazine.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Nice computers don't go down...

  3. Re: FF memory leaks - status??

    "Rick McCarty" wrote in wF5iNCHPenZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@mozilla.org>:

    > Anyway, what *is* happening with regard to these memory problems?

    See for a
    rundown on what's been done and what's being done. Chasing links from
    that blog entry will turn up a lot more info about the new ways they
    are approaching leak fixing.

  4. Re: FF memory leaks - status??

    Rick McCarty wrote:

    > As have many others, I have reported FF memory leaks via Bugzilla (I weighed
    > in on bug 324880). I haven't been on this forum in the past, so I don't know
    > how much discussion there has been on this subject, though I imagine there
    > has been a fair amount.
    >
    > With 1.5.0.1 I am seeing a leak on the order of what we would call a
    > "showstopper" in my software development organization. Several hundred MB of
    > memory used within a couple of hours of use is a Sev 1 problem. Is anyone
    > able to share input on how much effort is being put into identifying and
    > curing these memory management problems? In my own review of Bugzilla
    > reports, it seems that most of the current ones relating to this subject are
    > not getting much attention. But that could be simply because I wasn't
    > looking at the right thing...
    >
    > Ever since I started using FF (which I happen to like a lot) there have been
    > memory management issues. Continual memory problems - especially when they
    > are of the severity I'm seeing, are not helpful in furthering the adoption
    > of FF. Indeed, they could cause a number of organizations that have recently
    > begun to adopt it to change their minds.
    >
    > Anyway, what *is* happening with regard to these memory problems?

    You're not the first! If you bothered to view the other postings in
    this newsgroup, then you'd see that this has been discussed many times.

    --
    Time for a change

  5. Re: FF memory leaks - status??

    Q wrote:
    > "Rick McCarty" wrote in > wF5iNCHPenZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@mozilla.org>:
    >
    >> Anyway, what *is* happening with regard to these memory problems?

    > See for a
    > rundown on what's been done and what's being done. Chasing links from
    > that blog entry will turn up a lot more info about the new ways they
    > are approaching leak fixing.

    Thanks for the helpful answer and link, Q.

    -b

  6. Re: FF memory leaks - status??

    This is a great source of info on the issue - thanks! It did lead me to the
    tidbit about the use of "config.trim_on_minimize" and I tried it
    successfully. Makes a dramatic difference, though to trigger it seems you
    need to minimize all FF windows...

    "Q" wrote in message
    news:MrQ9767D6A63A3CCitsmeitsQ@QsFQDN.dyndns.org.. .
    > "Rick McCarty" wrote in > wF5iNCHPenZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@mozilla.org>:
    >
    > > Anyway, what *is* happening with regard to these memory problems?

    > See for a
    > rundown on what's been done and what's being done. Chasing links from
    > that blog entry will turn up a lot more info about the new ways they
    > are approaching leak fixing.
    >
    > --

  7. Re: FF memory leaks - status??

    Rick McCarty wrote:
    > As have many others, I have reported FF memory leaks via Bugzilla (I weighed
    > in on bug 324880). I haven't been on this forum in the past, so I don't know
    > how much discussion there has been on this subject, though I imagine there
    > has been a fair amount.
    >
    > With 1.5.0.1 I am seeing a leak on the order of what we would call a
    > "showstopper" in my software development organization. Several hundred MB of
    > memory used within a couple of hours of use is a Sev 1 problem. Is anyone
    > able to share input on how much effort is being put into identifying and
    > curing these memory management problems? In my own review of Bugzilla
    > reports, it seems that most of the current ones relating to this subject are
    > not getting much attention. But that could be simply because I wasn't
    > looking at the right thing...
    >
    > Ever since I started using FF (which I happen to like a lot) there have been
    > memory management issues. Continual memory problems - especially when they
    > are of the severity I'm seeing, are not helpful in furthering the adoption
    > of FF. Indeed, they could cause a number of organizations that have recently
    > begun to adopt it to change their minds.
    >
    > Anyway, what *is* happening with regard to these memory problems?

    I don't know if this will be helpful, but I followed every
    single suggestion on this link and the end result is that I
    almost never have serious memory use problems anymore. I
    originally used this is 1.5 and I'm finding that 1.5.0.1 is
    even a little less of a hog.

    Louise

+ Reply to Thread