Large print file size from firefox on Solaris - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Large print file size from firefox on Solaris - Mozilla ; I have firefox 1.5.0.1 on a Windows machine and 1.5 on a Solaris machine, both networked together and printing to an HP LaserJet 4M PostScript printer. Taking a typical page with a mix of graphics and text, I print from ...

  1. Large print file size from firefox on Solaris

    I have firefox 1.5.0.1 on a Windows machine and 1.5 on a Solaris machine,
    both networked together and printing to an HP LaserJet 4M PostScript
    printer. Taking a typical page with a mix of graphics and text, I print
    from both to a file and compare the output. The file on the Solaris
    system is about 2.75 times larger than the that produced on the Windows
    system. Here is an example:

    solaris.ps 1335977 bytes
    windows.ps 489234 bytes

    From the Solaris system I am routinely getting output sent to the printer
    that is huge and taking an extremely long time to print. Even a page with
    just a little bitmapped graphics (like a bar code for a FedEx label) can
    produce output in the 8-10 Mbyte range. Here is the header info from the
    two PostScript files:

    windows.ps:
    %!PS-Adobe-3.0
    %%Title: Merriam-Webster Online
    %%Creator: PScript5.dll Version 5.2.2
    %%CreationDate: 2/10/2006 1:50:26
    %%BoundingBox: (atend)
    %%Pages: (atend)
    %%Orientation: Portrait
    %%PageOrder: Special
    %%DocumentNeededResources: (atend)
    %%DocumentSuppliedResources: (atend)
    %%DocumentData: Clean7Bit
    %%TargetDevice: (LaserWriter II NTX) (51.8) 3
    %%LanguageLevel: 1
    %%EndComments

    solaris.ps:
    %!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
    %%Creator: The Open Group PostScript Print Server
    %%EndComments

    Is the Open Group Print Server just this bad, or is there some way I can
    tweak things to improve the performance?

    Thanks.
    --
    Jeffery Small

  2. Re: Large print file size from firefox on Solaris

    In article , Jeffery Small wrote:
    >solaris.ps:
    > %!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
    > %%Creator: The Open Group PostScript Print Server
    > %%EndComments

    This is from Xprint. See . I don't have
    specific experience with Xprint so I can't offer specific advice.

    Unix/linux versions of Firefox have two printing subsystems. One is the
    Xprint system; the other (so-called "PostScript" system) generates
    postscript directly and feeds it to lp, lpr, CUPS, etc. If you're having
    trouble with Xprint, you could give the other system a try. In the print
    dialog, look for a printer named "PostScript/" or
    "CUPS/".
    --
    Kenneth Herron
    "Netscape pollution must be eradicated."

  3. Re: Large print file size from firefox on Solaris

    Ken Herron writes:

    >In article , Jeffery Small wrote:
    >>solaris.ps:
    >> %!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
    >> %%Creator: The Open Group PostScript Print Server
    >> %%EndComments

    >This is from Xprint. See . I don't have
    >specific experience with Xprint so I can't offer specific advice.

    >Unix/linux versions of Firefox have two printing subsystems. One is
    >the Xprint system; the other (so-called "PostScript" system) generates
    >postscript directly and feeds it to lp, lpr, CUPS, etc. If you're having
    >trouble with Xprint, you could give the other system a try. In the
    >print dialog, look for a printer named "PostScript/" or
    >"CUPS/".

    Ken:

    Thanks for the information. I took a look and did not see any alternate
    print model other than the standard printers I have defined for my lp(1)
    print spooling system (e.g., ps@:33). So I took a look at
    about:config and I saw:

    print.postscript.enabled user set boolean false

    So I toggled this to true. Now I get a printer entry called:

    Postscript/default

    However, when I attempt to print to this device, I get an error message
    stating:

    There was a problem printing because the paper size you specified is
    not supported by your printer.

    The paper size is set to "na-letter (215x279 mm)". As a test, I tried
    setting it to iso-a4 size but this made no difference. Printing to the
    default ps@:33 printer still works but still produces the
    large file size.

    If anyone has additional suggestions as to how to tweak firefox to improve
    PostScript printing, I would be glad to try them out here. What setup are
    others using on their Solaris systems?

    Regards,
    --
    Jeffery Small

  4. Re: Large print file size from firefox on Solaris

    jeff@cjsa.com (Jeffery Small) writes:

    > Ken Herron writes:
    >
    >>In article , Jeffery Small wrote:
    >>>solaris.ps:
    >>> %!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
    >>> %%Creator: The Open Group PostScript Print Server
    >>> %%EndComments

    >>This is from Xprint. See . I don't have
    >>specific experience with Xprint so I can't offer specific advice.

    >>Unix/linux versions of Firefox have two printing subsystems. One is
    >>the Xprint system; the other (so-called "PostScript" system) generates
    >>postscript directly and feeds it to lp, lpr, CUPS, etc. If you're having
    >>trouble with Xprint, you could give the other system a try. In the
    >>print dialog, look for a printer named "PostScript/" or
    >>"CUPS/".

    > Ken:
    >
    > Thanks for the information. I took a look and did not see any alternate
    > print model other than the standard printers I have defined for my lp(1)
    > print spooling system (e.g., ps@:33). So I took a look at
    > about:config and I saw:
    >
    > print.postscript.enabled user set boolean false
    >
    > So I toggled this to true. Now I get a printer entry called:
    >
    > Postscript/default
    >
    > However, when I attempt to print to this device, I get an error message
    > stating:
    >
    > There was a problem printing because the paper size you specified is
    > not supported by your printer.
    >
    > The paper size is set to "na-letter (215x279 mm)". As a test, I tried
    > setting it to iso-a4 size but this made no difference. Printing to the
    > default ps@:33 printer still works but still produces the
    > large file size.
    >
    > If anyone has additional suggestions as to how to tweak firefox to improve
    > PostScript printing, I would be glad to try them out here. What setup are
    > others using on their Solaris systems?

    In case you wonder the reason for the big size of Xprin'ts output is
    that it uses high resolution bitmap fonts.

    Anyway, I had a similar problem as you when switching from a Mozilla
    build using Xprint and a build using built in Postscript generation.
    What I did was exiting Mozilla och removing all settings in the
    prefs.js file (in you profile directory) dealing with printing. In
    your case I suppose you should leave the print.postscript.enabled
    setting in. Maybe this solves the problem for you as well.

    --
    - Mårten

    mail: msv@kth.se *** ICQ: 4356928 *** mobile: +46 (0)707390385

+ Reply to Thread