Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0 - Mozilla ; When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.

    Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98 SE
    on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.

    Thanks

    Don

  2. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    On 10.02.2006 05:13 UK Time, Don wrote:
    > When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    > launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98 SE
    > on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Don

    Don,

    are you talking about Acrobat Reader 6? As far as I am aware, Win 98
    only supports version 5, which is a pity, because the new version 7 is
    much more powerful and better.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  3. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    T-bird Leader Herb radioed the tower, on 2/10/2006 12:21 AM:
    > On 10.02.2006 05:13 UK Time, Don wrote:
    >> When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    >> launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98
    >> SE on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Don

    > Don,
    >
    > are you talking about Acrobat Reader 6? As far as I am aware, Win 98
    > only supports version 5, which is a pity, because the new version 7 is
    > much more powerful and better.

    Do not know about 98 though Win ME, which is 98SE for dummies, dose
    support Acrobat Reader 6.x. Check to see if the plugin was installed into
    the FF plugins folder. Way to check is to type aboutlugins into the FF
    location bar.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

  4. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    On 10.02.2006 06:35 UK Time, Ron K. wrote:
    > T-bird Leader Herb radioed the tower, on 2/10/2006 12:21 AM:
    >> On 10.02.2006 05:13 UK Time, Don wrote:
    >>> When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    >>> launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98
    >>> SE on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Don

    >> Don,
    >>
    >> are you talking about Acrobat Reader 6? As far as I am aware, Win 98
    >> only supports version 5, which is a pity, because the new version 7 is
    >> much more powerful and better.
    >>

    > Do not know about 98 though Win ME, which is 98SE for dummies, dose
    > support Acrobat Reader 6.x. Check to see if the plugin was installed
    > into the FF plugins folder. Way to check is to type aboutlugins into
    > the FF location bar.

    Hi Ron,

    you are right - I got confused with version 6/7, i.e. version 7 doesn't
    run on Windows 98, but version 6 does - see
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...eqs.html#70win

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  5. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Don wrote:
    > When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    > launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98 SE
    > on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Don

    Are you talking about the full Adobe version, or the Adobe Acrobat
    Reader 6.0? If you are talking about the reader itself, you should know
    that the current version is 7.05, which is vastly improved over 6.0.
    You really should update.

  6. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Herb wrote:
    > On 10.02.2006 05:13 UK Time, Don wrote:
    >> When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    >> launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98
    >> SE on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Don

    > Don,
    >
    > are you talking about Acrobat Reader 6? As far as I am aware, Win 98
    > only supports version 5, which is a pity, because the new version 7 is
    > much more powerful and better.

    Version 5 was much better than Version 6. Revert to V5 if V6 is giving
    trouble, as V6 had bad problems.

  7. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Herb wrote:
    > On 10.02.2006 06:35 UK Time, Ron K. wrote:
    >> T-bird Leader Herb radioed the tower, on 2/10/2006 12:21 AM:

    >>> Don,
    >>>
    >>> are you talking about Acrobat Reader 6? As far as I am aware, Win 98
    >>> only supports version 5, which is a pity, because the new version 7
    >>> is much more powerful and better.
    >>>

    >> Do not know about 98 though Win ME, which is 98SE for dummies, dose
    >> support Acrobat Reader 6.x. Check to see if the plugin was installed
    >> into the FF plugins folder. Way to check is to type aboutlugins
    >> into the FF location bar.
    >>

    > Hi Ron,
    >
    > you are right - I got confused with version 6/7, i.e. version 7 doesn't
    > run on Windows 98, but version 6 does - see
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...eqs.html#70win

    If you must run V6, then make sure you get the latest updates for that
    version!

  8. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    On 10.02.2006 10:21 UK Time, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Don wrote:
    >> When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    >> launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98
    >> SE on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Don

    > Are you talking about the full Adobe version, or the Adobe Acrobat
    > Reader 6.0? If you are talking about the reader itself, you should know
    > that the current version is 7.05, which is vastly improved over 6.0. You
    > really should update.

    Version 7 is indeed vastly improved, except it doesn't work under
    Windows 98 - see previous replies in this thread.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  9. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >> On 10.02.2006 06:35 UK Time, Ron K. wrote:
    >>> T-bird Leader Herb radioed the tower, on 2/10/2006 12:21 AM:

    >>> Do not know about 98 though Win ME, which is 98SE for dummies, dose
    >>> support Acrobat Reader 6.x. Check to see if the plugin was installed
    >>> into the FF plugins folder. Way to check is to type aboutlugins
    >>> into the FF location bar.
    >>>

    >> Hi Ron,
    >>
    >> you are right - I got confused with version 6/7, i.e. version 7
    >> doesn't run on Windows 98, but version 6 does - see
    >> http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...eqs.html#70win
    >>

    > If you must run V6, then make sure you get the latest updates for that
    > version!

    Yes Ron, evidently version 6 had some security problem -- fixed by
    latest update. FWIW I'm running v6 (latest update) on my win98se pc with
    no problems. I upgraded from v5 since some .pdf files wouldn't work
    properly. No problems here with FFox and acrobat reader.

  10. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Don wrote, On 2/9/2006 11:13 PM:
    > When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    > launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98 SE
    > on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Don

    I've seen this happen - and as another poster suggested, you should
    check your plugins. You could take a look in your plugins folder and
    see if you've got old plugins there that need to be deleted. If so,
    delete them and then re-install Acrobat Reader and see if that corrects
    things.

    I had a plugin problem with Quicktime. Even though I had a current
    version installed, I couldn't play Quicktime movies from within FF.
    Turns out that because my plugins were imported from old Netscape days,
    I had a REALLY old Quicktime plugin that was causing the trouble.
    Deleting it and reinstalling cured things for me.

  11. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > Don wrote, On 2/9/2006 11:13 PM:
    >> When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    >> launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98
    >> SE on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Don

    > I've seen this happen - and as another poster suggested, you should
    > check your plugins. You could take a look in your plugins folder and
    > see if you've got old plugins there that need to be deleted. If so,
    > delete them and then re-install Acrobat Reader and see if that corrects
    > things.

    You might also upgrade to Adobe 7.0. It works fine for me in FF.
    This might solve the plugin problems.

  12. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    On 10.02.2006 15:31 UK Time, Dick Decker wrote:
    > Ken Wagner wrote:
    >> Don wrote, On 2/9/2006 11:13 PM:
    >>> When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    >>> launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98
    >>> SE on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Don

    >> I've seen this happen - and as another poster suggested, you should
    >> check your plugins. You could take a look in your plugins folder and
    >> see if you've got old plugins there that need to be deleted. If so,
    >> delete them and then re-install Acrobat Reader and see if that
    >> corrects things.
    >>

    > You might also upgrade to Adobe 7.0. It works fine for me in FF.
    > This might solve the plugin problems.

    Except that unfortunately Acrobat Reader 7 doesn't work with Windows 98 :-(

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  13. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Don wrote:
    > When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    > launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98 SE
    > on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Don

    Hello
    I'm running Win98SE and the latest Adobe Reader 6.0.4 / 25 Jul-05.
    Updates for AR 6. are:
    Yahoo Toolbar
    Multimedia Package for AR 6.0.3
    eBook and Accessibility Package for AR 6.
    I haven't downloaded any of these. My AR 6.0.4 works fine on FF 1.5.0.1
    Jim

  14. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Don wrote:
    >> When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    >> launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98
    >> SE on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Don

    > Are you talking about the full Adobe version, or the Adobe Acrobat
    > Reader 6.0? If you are talking about the reader itself, you should know
    > that the current version is 7.05, which is vastly improved over 6.0. You
    > really should update.

    Just FYI, the current version is now 7.07 (bug fixes and security update).

  15. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Ron K. wrote:
    > T-bird Leader Herb radioed the tower, on 2/10/2006 12:21 AM:
    >> On 10.02.2006 05:13 UK Time, Don wrote:

    /snip/
    > Do not know about 98 though Win ME, which is 98SE for dummies, dose
    > support Acrobat Reader 6.x. Check to see if the plugin was installed
    > into the FF plugins folder. Way to check is to type aboutlugins into
    > the FF location bar.

    ME is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I used it for years
    with good effect.

    Not wanting to argue that now, Foxit Reader works on 95-ME:

    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  16. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Simeon Archive wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> Hi Ron,
    >>>
    >>> you are right - I got confused with version 6/7, i.e. version 7
    >>> doesn't run on Windows 98, but version 6 does - see
    >>> http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...eqs.html#70win
    >>>

    >> If you must run V6, then make sure you get the latest updates for that
    >> version!

    > Yes Ron, evidently version 6 had some security problem -- fixed by
    > latest update. FWIW I'm running v6 (latest update) on my win98se pc with
    > no problems. I upgraded from v5 since some .pdf files wouldn't work
    > properly. No problems here with FFox and acrobat reader.

    Early versions of V6 were REALLY slow to load, a problem fixed (mostly)
    by later versions, and V7 (WinNT and later). The stupid thing was

  17. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    On 10.02.2006 22:10 UK Time, RAV wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Don wrote:
    >>> When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    >>> launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98
    >>> SE on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Don

    >> Are you talking about the full Adobe version, or the Adobe Acrobat
    >> Reader 6.0? If you are talking about the reader itself, you should
    >> know that the current version is 7.05, which is vastly improved over
    >> 6.0. You really should update.

    > Just FYI, the current version is now 7.07 (bug fixes and security update).

    This is getting somewhat OT now and perhaps I should ask elsewhere, but
    while we are on the subject, I saw the reference to 7.0.7 at
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...eqs.html#70win
    yesterday, but when I check for updates from within AR 7.0.0 on my
    Windows XP laptop it says no updates are available.

    Under AR Preferences > Updates it says the facility deals with
    *critical* updates. Perhaps it doesn't consider the change from .0 to .7
    as critical?

    How would I go about it if I want to install it anyway?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  18. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    jimmer wrote:
    > Don wrote:
    >
    >> When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    >> launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98
    >> SE on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Don

    > Hello
    > I'm running Win98SE and the latest Adobe Reader 6.0.4 / 25 Jul-05.
    > Updates for AR 6. are:
    > Yahoo Toolbar
    > Multimedia Package for AR 6.0.3
    > eBook and Accessibility Package for AR 6.
    > I haven't downloaded any of these. My AR 6.0.4 works fine on FF 1.5.0.1
    > Jim

    Thanks to all that have replied. I am running FF 1.5.0.1 also, with
    Adobe reader V 6.04. These are both the latest versions of both
    programs. I checked the plugins in FF like was suggested earlier, and
    Adobe reader is listed and enabled. Still it will not launch when I
    click on a link to a PDF page while in FF. I can have Adobe open in a
    separate window (not from within FF) and click on a link and still get a
    blank page in FF.

    If I click on the same links in IE, the page will bring up Adobe with no
    problem. I get PDF files as attachments in emails that I get in
    Thunderbird, and they bring up Adobe with no problem. There must be a
    switch or parameter that I am missing in FF.

    Don

  19. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Herb wrote:
    > On 10.02.2006 22:10 UK Time, RAV wrote:
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> Are you talking about the full Adobe version, or the Adobe Acrobat
    >>> Reader 6.0? If you are talking about the reader itself, you should
    >>> know that the current version is 7.05, which is vastly improved over
    >>> 6.0. You really should update.

    >> Just FYI, the current version is now 7.07 (bug fixes and security
    >> update).

    > This is getting somewhat OT now and perhaps I should ask elsewhere, but
    > while we are on the subject, I saw the reference to 7.0.7 at
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...eqs.html#70win
    > yesterday, but when I check for updates from within AR 7.0.0 on my
    > Windows XP laptop it says no updates are available.
    >
    > Under AR Preferences > Updates it says the facility deals with
    > *critical* updates. Perhaps it doesn't consider the change from .0 to .7
    > as critical?
    >
    > How would I go about it if I want to install it anyway?

    I started Adobe Reader. The current version was 7.0.5. I clicked Help,
    Check for updates now. Under "Current Updates," among other things, it
    listed "Adobe Reader 7.0.7 Update." I highlighted that. Under
    description, it read "The Adobe Reader 7.0.7 Update will update Adobe
    Reader 7.0.5. This update provides bug fixes, support for viewing Adobe
    Acrobat 3D files, and improved security. Adobe recommends all Adobe
    Reader users install this update." I then clicked the "Add" button to
    add it to "Selected Updates." Then clicked the Update button. Perhaps
    since you're running 7.0.0 you have to update to 7.0.5 first before it
    will show the 7.0.7 update.

  20. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    On 11.02.2006 15:16 UK Time, RAV wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    >>> Just FYI, the current version is now 7.07 (bug fixes and security
    >>> update).

    >> This is getting somewhat OT now and perhaps I should ask elsewhere,
    >> but while we are on the subject, I saw the reference to 7.0.7 at
    >> http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...eqs.html#70win
    >> yesterday, but when I check for updates from within AR 7.0.0 on my
    >> Windows XP laptop it says no updates are available.
    >>
    >> Under AR Preferences > Updates it says the facility deals with
    >> *critical* updates. Perhaps it doesn't consider the change from .0 to
    >> .7 as critical?
    >>
    >> How would I go about it if I want to install it anyway?
    >>

    > I started Adobe Reader. The current version was 7.0.5. I clicked Help,
    > Check for updates now. Under "Current Updates," among other things, it
    > listed "Adobe Reader 7.0.7 Update." I highlighted that. Under
    > description, it read "The Adobe Reader 7.0.7 Update will update Adobe
    > Reader 7.0.5. This update provides bug fixes, support for viewing Adobe
    > Acrobat 3D files, and improved security. Adobe recommends all Adobe
    > Reader users install this update." I then clicked the "Add" button to
    > add it to "Selected Updates." Then clicked the Update button. Perhaps
    > since you're running 7.0.0 you have to update to 7.0.5 first before it
    > will show the 7.0.7 update.

    But how do I update from 7.0.0 to 7.0.5?

    It seems odd that it says no updates are available, doesn't it?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread