Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0 - Mozilla ; Herb wrote: > On 11.02.2006 15:16 UK Time, RAV wrote: >> Herb wrote: >>> On 10.02.2006 22:10 UK Time, RAV wrote: >>>> Ron Hunter wrote: >>>>> Don wrote: >>>>>> When I click on a link that has a link to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Herb wrote:
    > On 11.02.2006 15:16 UK Time, RAV wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> This is getting somewhat OT now and perhaps I should ask elsewhere,
    >>> but while we are on the subject, I saw the reference to 7.0.7 at
    >>> http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...eqs.html#70win
    >>> yesterday, but when I check for updates from within AR 7.0.0 on my
    >>> Windows XP laptop it says no updates are available.
    >>>
    >>> Under AR Preferences > Updates it says the facility deals with
    >>> *critical* updates. Perhaps it doesn't consider the change from .0 to
    >>> .7 as critical?
    >>>
    >>> How would I go about it if I want to install it anyway?
    >>>

    >> I started Adobe Reader. The current version was 7.0.5. I clicked
    >> Help, Check for updates now. Under "Current Updates," among other
    >> things, it listed "Adobe Reader 7.0.7 Update." I highlighted that.
    >> Under description, it read "The Adobe Reader 7.0.7 Update will update
    >> Adobe Reader 7.0.5. This update provides bug fixes, support for
    >> viewing Adobe Acrobat 3D files, and improved security. Adobe
    >> recommends all Adobe Reader users install this update." I then
    >> clicked the "Add" button to add it to "Selected Updates." Then
    >> clicked the Update button. Perhaps since you're running 7.0.0 you
    >> have to update to 7.0.5 first before it will show the 7.0.7 update.

    > But how do I update from 7.0.0 to 7.0.5?
    >
    > It seems odd that it says no updates are available, doesn't it?

    I agree, and I have no explanation. Only Adobe knows, I guess. But
    since "upgrading" from one "7.0.x" to a higher "7.0.x" appears to
    download the entire thing anyway (i.e. it's not a set of patches), I
    guess your alternative is to go the Adobe website and just download
    whatever their latest reader is, which I presume is 7.0.7, then
    uninstall your 7.0.0 and install the latest.

  2. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Don wrote:
    > jimmer wrote:
    >> Don wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    >>> launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98
    >>> SE on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Don

    >> Hello
    >> I'm running Win98SE and the latest Adobe Reader 6.0.4 / 25 Jul-05.
    >> Updates for AR 6. are:
    >> Yahoo Toolbar
    >> Multimedia Package for AR 6.0.3
    >> eBook and Accessibility Package for AR 6.
    >> I haven't downloaded any of these. My AR 6.0.4 works fine on FF 1.5.0.1
    >> Jim

    > Thanks to all that have replied. I am running FF 1.5.0.1 also, with
    > Adobe reader V 6.04. These are both the latest versions of both
    > programs. I checked the plugins in FF like was suggested earlier, and
    > Adobe reader is listed and enabled. Still it will not launch when I
    > click on a link to a PDF page while in FF. I can have Adobe open in a
    > separate window (not from within FF) and click on a link and still get a
    > blank page in FF.
    >
    > If I click on the same links in IE, the page will bring up Adobe with no
    > problem. I get PDF files as attachments in emails that I get in
    > Thunderbird, and they bring up Adobe with no problem. There must be a
    > switch or parameter that I am missing in FF.
    >
    > Don

    But 6.04 is not the latest version of Adobe Reader. I just upgraded to
    7.0.7 a few days ago.

  3. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    On 11.02.2006 15:43 UK Time, RAV wrote:
    > Don wrote:
    >> jimmer wrote:

    >>> Hello
    >>> I'm running Win98SE and the latest Adobe Reader 6.0.4 / 25 Jul-05.
    >>> Updates for AR 6. are:
    >>> Yahoo Toolbar
    >>> Multimedia Package for AR 6.0.3
    >>> eBook and Accessibility Package for AR 6.
    >>> I haven't downloaded any of these. My AR 6.0.4 works fine on FF 1.5.0.1
    >>> Jim

    >> Thanks to all that have replied. I am running FF 1.5.0.1 also, with
    >> Adobe reader V 6.04. These are both the latest versions of both
    >> programs. I checked the plugins in FF like was suggested earlier, and
    >> Adobe reader is listed and enabled. Still it will not launch when I
    >> click on a link to a PDF page while in FF. I can have Adobe open in a
    >> separate window (not from within FF) and click on a link and still get
    >> a blank page in FF.
    >>
    >> If I click on the same links in IE, the page will bring up Adobe with
    >> no problem. I get PDF files as attachments in emails that I get in
    >> Thunderbird, and they bring up Adobe with no problem. There must be a
    >> switch or parameter that I am missing in FF.
    >>
    >> Don

    > But 6.04 is not the latest version of Adobe Reader. I just upgraded to
    > 7.0.7 a few days ago.

    Don is talking about the latest version for Windows 98.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  4. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Thanks, I better do that.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  5. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Herb wrote:
    > On 11.02.2006 15:43 UK Time, RAV wrote:
    >> Don wrote:

    >>> Thanks to all that have replied. I am running FF 1.5.0.1 also, with
    >>> Adobe reader V 6.04. These are both the latest versions of both
    >>> programs. I checked the plugins in FF like was suggested earlier,
    >>> and Adobe reader is listed and enabled. Still it will not launch
    >>> when I click on a link to a PDF page while in FF. I can have Adobe
    >>> open in a separate window (not from within FF) and click on a link
    >>> and still get a blank page in FF.
    >>>
    >>> If I click on the same links in IE, the page will bring up Adobe with
    >>> no problem. I get PDF files as attachments in emails that I get in
    >>> Thunderbird, and they bring up Adobe with no problem. There must be
    >>> a switch or parameter that I am missing in FF.
    >>>
    >>> Don

    >> But 6.04 is not the latest version of Adobe Reader. I just upgraded
    >> to 7.0.7 a few days ago.

    > Don is talking about the latest version for Windows 98.

    OK, sorry, I missed that part.

  6. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    On 11.02.2006 15:48 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > On 11.02.2006 15:42 UK Time, RAV wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> But how do I update from 7.0.0 to 7.0.5?
    >>>
    >>> It seems odd that it says no updates are available, doesn't it?
    >>>

    >> I agree, and I have no explanation. Only Adobe knows, I guess. But
    >> since "upgrading" from one "7.0.x" to a higher "7.0.x" appears to
    >> download the entire thing anyway (i.e. it's not a set of patches), I
    >> guess your alternative is to go the Adobe website and just download
    >> whatever their latest reader is, which I presume is 7.0.7, then
    >> uninstall your 7.0.0 and install the latest.

    > Thanks, I better do that.

    This page explains what's what:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3312

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  7. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    On 11.02.2006 15:42 UK Time, RAV wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    >>> I started Adobe Reader. The current version was 7.0.5. I clicked
    >>> Help, Check for updates now. Under "Current Updates," among other
    >>> things, it listed "Adobe Reader 7.0.7 Update." I highlighted that.
    >>> Under description, it read "The Adobe Reader 7.0.7 Update will update
    >>> Adobe Reader 7.0.5. This update provides bug fixes, support for
    >>> viewing Adobe Acrobat 3D files, and improved security. Adobe
    >>> recommends all Adobe Reader users install this update." I then
    >>> clicked the "Add" button to add it to "Selected Updates." Then
    >>> clicked the Update button. Perhaps since you're running 7.0.0 you
    >>> have to update to 7.0.5 first before it will show the 7.0.7 update.

    >> But how do I update from 7.0.0 to 7.0.5?
    >>
    >> It seems odd that it says no updates are available, doesn't it?
    >>

    > I agree, and I have no explanation. Only Adobe knows, I guess. But
    > since "upgrading" from one "7.0.x" to a higher "7.0.x" appears to
    > download the entire thing anyway (i.e. it's not a set of patches), I
    > guess your alternative is to go the Adobe website and just download
    > whatever their latest reader is, which I presume is 7.0.7, then
    > uninstall your 7.0.0 and install the latest.

    Intriguingly, the file (AdbeRdrUpd707_efgj_cum.exe) I downloaded from
    the page I mentioned earlier
    (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3312) is bigger
    than the original installation file (AdbeRdr70_enu_full.exe), but it
    still acts like an upgrade involving 2 (automatic) steps, i.e. it first
    upgrades from 7.0.0 to 7.0.5 and then automatically from 7.0.5 to 7.0.7.

    Seems rather convoluted, but who cares, as long as it works :-)

    To cut a long story short, I'm on 7.0.7 now 8-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  8. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    Don wrote:
    > jimmer wrote:
    >> Don wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I click on a link that has a link to a PDF file Firefox will not
    >>> launch Adobe 6. I just get a new screen.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? I am using Win 98
    >>> SE on a 1 gh Athlon machine with 256 mg ram.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Don

    >> Hello
    >> I'm running Win98SE and the latest Adobe Reader 6.0.4 / 25 Jul-05.
    >> Updates for AR 6. are:
    >> Yahoo Toolbar
    >> Multimedia Package for AR 6.0.3
    >> eBook and Accessibility Package for AR 6.
    >> I haven't downloaded any of these. My AR 6.0.4 works fine on FF 1.5.0.1
    >> Jim

    > Thanks to all that have replied. I am running FF 1.5.0.1 also, with
    > Adobe reader V 6.04. These are both the latest versions of both
    > programs. I checked the plugins in FF like was suggested earlier, and
    > Adobe reader is listed and enabled. Still it will not launch when I
    > click on a link to a PDF page while in FF. I can have Adobe open in a
    > separate window (not from within FF) and click on a link and still get a
    > blank page in FF.
    >
    > If I click on the same links in IE, the page will bring up Adobe with no
    > problem. I get PDF files as attachments in emails that I get in
    > Thunderbird, and they bring up Adobe with no problem. There must be a
    > switch or parameter that I am missing in FF.
    >
    > Don

    No, the setting is in Adobe Reader. Tell it to work in Mozilla if you
    want it to do so.

  9. Re: Firefox 1.5 and Adobe 6.0

    RAV wrote:
    > Don wrote:
    >> jimmer wrote:

    >>> Hello
    >>> I'm running Win98SE and the latest Adobe Reader 6.0.4 / 25 Jul-05.
    >>> Updates for AR 6. are:
    >>> Yahoo Toolbar
    >>> Multimedia Package for AR 6.0.3
    >>> eBook and Accessibility Package for AR 6.
    >>> I haven't downloaded any of these. My AR 6.0.4 works fine on FF 1.5.0.1
    >>> Jim

    >> Thanks to all that have replied. I am running FF 1.5.0.1 also, with
    >> Adobe reader V 6.04. These are both the latest versions of both
    >> programs. I checked the plugins in FF like was suggested earlier, and
    >> Adobe reader is listed and enabled. Still it will not launch when I
    >> click on a link to a PDF page while in FF. I can have Adobe open in a
    >> separate window (not from within FF) and click on a link and still get
    >> a blank page in FF.
    >>
    >> If I click on the same links in IE, the page will bring up Adobe with
    >> no problem. I get PDF files as attachments in emails that I get in
    >> Thunderbird, and they bring up Adobe with no problem. There must be a
    >> switch or parameter that I am missing in FF.
    >>
    >> Don

    > But 6.04 is not the latest version of Adobe Reader. I just upgraded to
    > 7.0.7 a few days ago.

    Which is fine for WinXP users, not for others.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2