flashblock - Mozilla

This is a discussion on flashblock - Mozilla ; I just updated to 1.5.0.1 and wanted to install the flash blocker 1.5.1. I was able to download it as a compressed file but cannot find (locate?) what to do next. I can extract the files (nothing on mozilla as ...

  1. flashblock

    I just updated to 1.5.0.1 and wanted to install the flash blocker 1.5.1. I
    was able to download it as a compressed file but cannot find (locate?) what
    to do next. I can extract the files (nothing on mozilla as to where they
    should be extracted to) but then what? I don't think I'm that dumb but what
    the hell do you do with it now? Thanks

  2. Re: flashblock

    Carl S wrote:
    > I just updated to 1.5.0.1 and wanted to install the flash blocker 1.5.1. I
    > was able to download it as a compressed file but cannot find (locate?) what
    > to do next. I can extract the files (nothing on mozilla as to where they
    > should be extracted to) but then what? I don't think I'm that dumb but what
    > the hell do you do with it now? Thanks

    There are no special unpacking steps for extensions.

    You should just click on the install link in the Installation box at
    this page:
    http://flashblock.mozdev.org/installation1.html

    If you get a yellow information bar appearing just below your bookmarks
    "To protect your computer ..." then click on the Edit Options button,
    then the Allow button and Close. Click on the install link again and
    follow your nose.

    They even have a FAQ entry
    (http://flashblock.mozdev.org/faq.html#fbFf15Install) for the case where
    Firefox says "Software installation is currently disabled".

  3. Re: flashblock

    Carl S wrote:
    > I just updated to 1.5.0.1 and wanted to install the flash blocker 1.5.1. I
    > was able to download it as a compressed file but cannot find (locate?) what
    > to do next. I can extract the files (nothing on mozilla as to where they
    > should be extracted to) but then what? I don't think I'm that dumb but what
    > the hell do you do with it now? Thanks

    Since you've already downloaded the file, open Firefox and use
    File>>Open File, then browse to the location of the saved xpi. Select
    the xpi, and the install should start.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion