FF 1.5 Image Loading/Sizing - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF 1.5 Image Loading/Sizing - Mozilla ; In Firefox pre-1.5 (and IE, Safari, etc...) the following web page works correctly: http://www.equilibrium.com/demos_eq/...5-44-Final.tif In Firefox 1.5 and later the page exhibits new incorrect behaviors. It continues to work correctly in other browsers. At first all images stopped loading and ...

  1. FF 1.5 Image Loading/Sizing

    In Firefox pre-1.5 (and IE, Safari, etc...) the following web page works
    correctly:

    http://www.equilibrium.com/demos_eq/...5-44-Final.tif

    In Firefox 1.5 and later the page exhibits new incorrect behaviors. It
    continues to work correctly in other browsers.

    At first all images stopped loading and the page was essentially blank.
    After some analysis the code in:

    http://www.equilibrium.com/demos_eq/.../zoom_sonic.js

    at line #629 was added:

    var tnListener = new EventListener(this.thumbNailView);
    tnListener.onload = function(e) {this.thumbNailView.setSize(width, height);}
    this.thumbNailView.addEventListener(tnListener);

    This code causes the images to load and the page appears correctly but now
    when you click on the large image you will see that in Firefox the zoom
    animation appears extremely "rough". In other browsers (IE, Safari, FF 1.0,
    etc...) the animation is very smooth. It looks like what FF 1.5 is doing
    during the animation is displaying the image at the wrong size but then
    sizing it correctly after loading.

    Is anyone familiar with the relevant changes between FF 1.0 and 1.5 that
    might give me a pointer? Is there another newsgroup or changelog somewhere
    that might help me figure out what changed?

    TIA

  2. Re: FF 1.5 Image Loading/Sizing

    nospam wrote:
    > In Firefox pre-1.5 (and IE, Safari, etc...) the following web page works
    > correctly:
    >
    > http://www.equilibrium.com/demos_eq/...5-44-Final.tif
    >
    > In Firefox 1.5 and later the page exhibits new incorrect behaviors. It
    > continues to work correctly in other browsers.
    >
    > At first all images stopped loading and the page was essentially blank.
    > After some analysis the code in:
    >
    > http://www.equilibrium.com/demos_eq/.../zoom_sonic.js
    >
    > at line #629 was added:
    >
    > var tnListener = new EventListener(this.thumbNailView);
    > tnListener.onload = function(e) {this.thumbNailView.setSize(width, height);}
    > this.thumbNailView.addEventListener(tnListener);
    >
    > This code causes the images to load and the page appears correctly but now
    > when you click on the large image you will see that in Firefox the zoom
    > animation appears extremely "rough". In other browsers (IE, Safari, FF 1.0,
    > etc...) the animation is very smooth. It looks like what FF 1.5 is doing
    > during the animation is displaying the image at the wrong size but then
    > sizing it correctly after loading.
    >
    > Is anyone familiar with the relevant changes between FF 1.0 and 1.5 that
    > might give me a pointer? Is there another newsgroup or changelog somewhere
    > that might help me figure out what changed?
    >
    > TIA

    From here, its exactly the same in FF 1.5.0.1 and Safari.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: FF 1.5 Image Loading/Sizing

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > nospam wrote:
    >
    >>In Firefox pre-1.5 (and IE, Safari, etc...) the following web page works
    >>correctly:
    >>
    >>http://www.equilibrium.com/demos_eq/...5-44-Final.tif
    >>
    >>In Firefox 1.5 and later the page exhibits new incorrect behaviors. It
    >>continues to work correctly in other browsers.
    >>
    >>At first all images stopped loading and the page was essentially blank.
    >>After some analysis the code in:
    >>
    >>http://www.equilibrium.com/demos_eq/.../zoom_sonic.js
    >>
    >>at line #629 was added:
    >>
    >>var tnListener = new EventListener(this.thumbNailView);
    >>tnListener.onload = function(e) {this.thumbNailView.setSize(width, height);}
    >>this.thumbNailView.addEventListener(tnListener);
    >>
    >>This code causes the images to load and the page appears correctly but now
    >>when you click on the large image you will see that in Firefox the zoom
    >>animation appears extremely "rough". In other browsers (IE, Safari, FF 1.0,
    >>etc...) the animation is very smooth. It looks like what FF 1.5 is doing
    >>during the animation is displaying the image at the wrong size but then
    >>sizing it correctly after loading.
    >>
    >>Is anyone familiar with the relevant changes between FF 1.0 and 1.5 that
    >>might give me a pointer? Is there another newsgroup or changelog somewhere
    >>that might help me figure out what changed?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>

    > From here, its exactly the same in FF 1.5.0.1 and Safari.
    >
    > Lee

    I have to agree. I get the same in Moz 1.7.12, FF 1.5.0.1, and IE6.
    However, it doesn't work that great in Opera.

    --
    Time for a change

  4. Re: FF 1.5 Image Loading/Sizing

    nospam wrote:
    > In Firefox pre-1.5 (and IE, Safari, etc...) the following web page works
    > correctly:
    >
    > http://www.equilibrium.com/demos_eq/...5-44-Final.tif
    >
    > In Firefox 1.5 and later the page exhibits new incorrect behaviors. It
    > continues to work correctly in other browsers.
    >
    > At first all images stopped loading and the page was essentially blank.
    > After some analysis the code in:
    >
    > http://www.equilibrium.com/demos_eq/.../zoom_sonic.js
    >
    > at line #629 was added:
    >
    > var tnListener = new EventListener(this.thumbNailView);
    > tnListener.onload = function(e) {this.thumbNailView.setSize(width, height);}
    > this.thumbNailView.addEventListener(tnListener);
    >
    > This code causes the images to load and the page appears correctly but now
    > when you click on the large image you will see that in Firefox the zoom
    > animation appears extremely "rough". In other browsers (IE, Safari, FF 1.0,
    > etc...) the animation is very smooth. It looks like what FF 1.5 is doing
    > during the animation is displaying the image at the wrong size but then
    > sizing it correctly after loading.
    >
    > Is anyone familiar with the relevant changes between FF 1.0 and 1.5 that
    > might give me a pointer? Is there another newsgroup or changelog somewhere
    > that might help me figure out what changed?
    >
    > TIA

    No problem here either. A new image gets loaded every time you zoom or
    pan the image.

    Check in about:config if dom.disable_image_src_set is set to false.

    Regards,

    Roland

  5. Re: FF 1.5 Image Loading/Sizing

    All-

    My original post emphasized the wrong things.

    The problem I am trying to solve is:

    "It worked in Firefox 1.0, but it does not work in Firefox 1.5".

    If I have issues in other browsers this may or may not help me solve them
    but that is totally outside the scope of this query. I am really hoping to
    find Firefox specific knowledge of what changes between 1.0 and 1.5 could
    have caused this.

    BTW the application does currently work. The difference between FF 1.0 and
    1.5 is qualitative. The quality of the animation in Firefox 1.0 is much
    better than the quality in 1.5

    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to compare with alternative browsers.
    I really should have left them out of the discussion entirely though and
    would really like to talk about Firefox.

    TIA

+ Reply to Thread