FF 1.5.0.1 PNG display is BROKEN - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF 1.5.0.1 PNG display is BROKEN - Mozilla ; Help! None of my PNG images display using Firefox 1.5.0.1 They used to work (version 1.4 I think?) I think somehow the PNG display code broke in version 1.5 or 1.5.0.1. Here is an example image (I believe it works ...

  1. FF 1.5.0.1 PNG display is BROKEN

    Help! None of my PNG images display using Firefox 1.5.0.1
    They used to work (version 1.4 I think?) I think somehow the PNG display
    code broke in version 1.5 or 1.5.0.1.

    Here is an example image (I believe it works in most browsers except Firefox
    1.5.0.1. It does work in Mozilla 1.7.3 and MSIE 6.0.2900)

    http://beale.best.vwh.net/measure/audio/DVX100/fr.png

  2. Re: FF 1.5.0.1 PNG display is BROKEN

    John Beale wrote:
    > Help! None of my PNG images display using Firefox 1.5.0.1
    > They used to work (version 1.4 I think?) I think somehow the PNG display
    > code broke in version 1.5 or 1.5.0.1.
    >
    > Here is an example image (I believe it works in most browsers except Firefox
    > 1.5.0.1. It does work in Mozilla 1.7.3 and MSIE 6.0.2900)
    >
    > http://beale.best.vwh.net/measure/audio/DVX100/fr.png

    I get the error in Firefox, SeaMonkey, and Camino. Safari, Mozilla
    1.7.12, Netscape 7.2, and Opera all display it.

    I don't have any other png's to test.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: FF 1.5.0.1 PNG display is BROKEN

    Leonidas Jones wrote in
    :

    > John Beale wrote:
    >> Help! None of my PNG images display using Firefox 1.5.0.1
    >> They used to work (version 1.4 I think?) I think somehow the PNG
    >> display code broke in version 1.5 or 1.5.0.1.
    >>
    >> Here is an example image (I believe it works in most browsers
    >> except Firefox 1.5.0.1. It does work in Mozilla 1.7.3 and MSIE
    >> 6.0.2900)
    >>
    >> http://beale.best.vwh.net/measure/audio/DVX100/fr.png

    > I get the error in Firefox, SeaMonkey, and Camino. Safari, Mozilla
    > 1.7.12, Netscape 7.2, and Opera all display it.

    The Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer also displays it fine, but when I
    try to open it in GIMP, it throws up the message "Error while reading
    '[path\to]\fr.png'. File corrupted?" The file does open in GIMP, but
    it looks awful.

    John, I'd show the PNG to a graphics newsgroups to see if they can say
    what's wrong.

    > I don't have any other png's to test.

    In general, Fx displays PNGs ok. Chris and I posted PNG screenshots
    the other day.

  4. Re: FF 1.5.0.1 PNG display is BROKEN

    Q wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> John Beale wrote:

    /snip/

    > The Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer also displays it fine, but when I
    > try to open it in GIMP, it throws up the message "Error while reading
    > '[path\to]\fr.png'. File corrupted?" The file does open in GIMP, but
    > it looks awful.
    >
    > John, I'd show the PNG to a graphics newsgroups to see if they can say
    > what's wrong.
    >
    >> I don't have any other png's to test.

    > In general, Fx displays PNGs ok. Chris and I posted PNG screenshots
    > the other day.

    And I will confirm, both work fine here in FF.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  5. note- this PNG is 8-bit colormap type

    Thanks everyone for looking at this. The file in question does open fine in
    Photoshop CS, if that means anything. It was originally created by the
    Windows application "RMAA" (RightMark Audio Analyzer). It is an 8-bit
    colormap type PNG. If it looks bad when opened in GIMP, it is probably due
    to an incorrect or un-initialized colormap table. This colormap format is a
    valid PNG type but it is less common than 24-bit "true color" PNG files, so
    I'm wondering if anyone has been routinely testing the Firefox rendering
    engine with all legal types of PNG files, or just the more common ones.

    "John Beale" wrote in message
    > Help! None of my PNG images display using Firefox 1.5.0.1
    > They used to work (version 1.4 I think?) I think somehow the PNG display
    > code broke in version 1.5 or 1.5.0.1.
    >
    > Here is an example image (I believe it works in most browsers except
    > Firefox 1.5.0.1. It does work in Mozilla 1.7.3 and MSIE 6.0.2900)
    >
    > http://beale.best.vwh.net/measure/audio/DVX100/fr.png

  6. Re: FF 1.5.0.1 PNG display is BROKEN

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Q wrote:
    >
    >>Leonidas Jones wrote in
    >>:
    >>

    >>>John Beale wrote:

    > /snip/
    >

    >>The Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer also displays it fine, but when I
    >>try to open it in GIMP, it throws up the message "Error while reading
    >>'[path\to]\fr.png'. File corrupted?" The file does open in GIMP, but
    >>it looks awful.
    >>
    >>John, I'd show the PNG to a graphics newsgroups to see if they can say
    >>what's wrong.
    >>

    >>>I don't have any other png's to test.

    >>In general, Fx displays PNGs ok. Chris and I posted PNG screenshots
    >>the other day.
    >>

    > And I will confirm, both work fine here in FF.
    >
    > Lee

    but the question remains. Why does the OPs png not work and everyone
    elses does?

    Something interesting I noticed. In FF I get a little magnifying glass
    to zoom in and out, but Moz 1.7.12 doesn't

    --
    Time for a change

  7. oops... FF is good, my PNGs were bad

    Well, I stand corrected. I tried the PNG test suite at
    http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngsuite-all-good.html
    which seems to have every imaginable type of PNG image and they all
    display OK. It looks like FF 1.5.0.1 actually is 100% OK for PNG display.

    My PNG files did have some strange bug, that only a few programs like
    Firefox 1.5 (but not earlier versions) and GIMP apparently notice. I
    loaded and re-saved my PNGs using ThumbsPlus, and now they all work in FF.

    So in fact the problem was with the PNG images saved by RMAA:
    http://audio.rightmark.org/products/rmaa.shtml

    I'll let them know about it.

    >>> In general, Fx displays PNGs ok. Chris and I posted PNG screenshots
    >>> the other day.

+ Reply to Thread