Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta) - Mozilla ; I installed Firefox 1.5 and found all the colors and backgrounds from all CSS files simply ignored. I installed the 1.6 beta and found the same problem. I expect this kind of behavior from IE, but from Firefox? What's up? ...

  1. Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    I installed Firefox 1.5 and found all the colors and backgrounds from
    all CSS files simply ignored.

    I installed the 1.6 beta and found the same problem.

    I expect this kind of behavior from IE, but from Firefox? What's up?

    Laurie Mann
    Site Simplifier
    http://www.sitesimplifier.com

  2. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    user@domain.invalid wrote:
    > I installed Firefox 1.5 and found all the colors and backgrounds from
    > all CSS files simply ignored.
    >
    > I installed the 1.6 beta and found the same problem.
    >
    > I expect this kind of behavior from IE, but from Firefox? What's up?
    >

    > Laurie Mann
    > Site Simplifier
    > http://www.sitesimplifier.com

    I'm not noticing this at all. Can you provide some example sites, so we
    can troubleshoot this looking at the same sites?

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    On 2/7/2006 3:49 PM On a whim, user@domain.invalid pounded out on the
    keyboard

    > I installed Firefox 1.5 and found all the colors and backgrounds from
    > all CSS files simply ignored.
    >
    > I installed the 1.6 beta and found the same problem.
    >
    > I expect this kind of behavior from IE, but from Firefox? What's up?
    >

    > Laurie Mann
    > Site Simplifier
    > http://www.sitesimplifier.com

    Hi Laurie,

    Probably what you have been seeing is IE compensating for poorly written
    code. FF is not nearly as tolerant with code that isn't W3C compliant.
    All the CSS sites I design all display perfectly so I doubt there is any
    issue with FF.

    Why don't you give us a few websites to view to compare.

    --
    Terry

  4. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    On 2/7/2006 3:49 PM On a whim, user@domain.invalid pounded out on the
    keyboard

    > I installed Firefox 1.5 and found all the colors and backgrounds from
    > all CSS files simply ignored.
    >
    > I installed the 1.6 beta and found the same problem.
    >
    > I expect this kind of behavior from IE, but from Firefox? What's up?
    >

    > Laurie Mann
    > Site Simplifier
    > http://www.sitesimplifier.com

    Looking at your site a bit and your simple.css file, I see little errors
    that matter to FF. A quick one; your tag to Dead People Server
    displayed differently in FF & IE. Your simple.css file has "Comic Sans"
    as one of the fonts. It should be "Comic Sans MS" to be correctly
    displayed. Even IE didn't display the font, but defaulted to sans-serif.
    Colors displayed correctly on your site so your input on other sites
    will help to t-shoot your problems.

    FF will be a pain to you at first, but you will appreciate it's
    unforgiving behavior within a short time.

    --
    Terry

  5. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    _user@domain.invalid_ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 6:49 PM:
    > I installed Firefox 1.5 and found all the colors and backgrounds from
    > all CSS files simply ignored.
    >
    > I installed the 1.6 beta and found the same problem.

    My website uses an external CSS file for colours and
    backgrounds. Both the HTML and CSS are W3C compliant. I've never had a
    problem with it on Firefox. If anything, it's IE that still doesn't
    support the fixed menu (even IE7).

    You're going to have to provide a URL, and/or be more specific.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  6. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    OK, let me try that again:

    When I run either FF 1.5 or 1.6 (beta), any colors set by a CSS file AT
    ANY WEB SITE do not appear.

    When I run FF 1 (as I went back to later), the colors DO appear.

    It wasn't something peculiar to my domain - this happened when I viewed
    cnn.com, yahoo.com, firefox.com, et.c. But the problem went away when
    I went back to FF1.

    Yes, of course I checked the box in Tools>Options>General>Colors that
    said something like "Let the page set the colors." I even tried
    unchecking it in 1.5 and 1.6 to see if it made any difference. It
    did not.

    user@domain.invalid wrote:
    > I installed Firefox 1.5 and found all the colors and backgrounds from
    > all CSS files simply ignored.
    >
    > I installed the 1.6 beta and found the same problem.
    >
    > I expect this kind of behavior from IE, but from Firefox? What's up?
    >

    > Laurie Mann
    > Site Simplifier
    > http://www.sitesimplifier.com

  7. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    user@domain.invalid wrote:
    > OK, let me try that again:
    >
    > When I run either FF 1.5 or 1.6 (beta), any colors set by a CSS file AT
    > ANY WEB SITE do not appear.
    >
    > When I run FF 1 (as I went back to later), the colors DO appear.
    >
    > It wasn't something peculiar to my domain - this happened when I viewed
    > cnn.com, yahoo.com, firefox.com, et.c. But the problem went away when
    > I went back to FF1.
    >
    > Yes, of course I checked the box in Tools>Options>General>Colors that
    > said something like "Let the page set the colors." I even tried
    > unchecking it in 1.5 and 1.6 to see if it made any difference. It
    > did not.
    >

    > user@domain.invalid wrote:
    >> I installed Firefox 1.5 and found all the colors and backgrounds from
    >> all CSS files simply ignored.
    >>
    >> I installed the 1.6 beta and found the same problem.
    >>
    >> I expect this kind of behavior from IE, but from Firefox? What's up?
    >>

    >> Laurie Mann
    >> Site Simplifier
    >> http://www.sitesimplifier.com

    Please bottom post in these groups, see the Posting Etiquette in my sig
    for more information.

    There is something wrong in your FF settings then. When I look at
    http://www.sitesimplifier.com in FF 1.5.0.1, I see a page with a yellow
    background, and series of search boxes on the left with a blue
    background. If I disable embedded styles, the yellow background goes
    away, and the search area turns light blue.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  8. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > There is something wrong in your FF settings then. When I look at
    > http://www.sitesimplifier.com in FF 1.5.0.1, I see a page with a yellow
    > background, and series of search boxes on the left with a blue
    > background. If I disable embedded styles, the yellow background goes
    > away, and the search area turns light blue.

    Right, but since I didn't initially change any of my settings between
    the installations, how can this happen?

    Later, playing around with the color settings in 1.5 and 1.6(beta) MADE
    NO DIFFERENCE. No matter what site I looked at, the colors settings
    were ignored.

    And going back to FF 1.0, everything was fine again.

    Granted, maybe there is something very subtle going on here that
    typically wasn't found during testing. But if the only change
    I make is installing 1.5 or 1.6, what else could the problem be?

    This is frustrating because I'd prefer to use the most current version
    of FF, particularly given that CERT announcement yesterday.

    Laurie Mann
    http://www.dpsinfo.com

  9. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    user@domain.invalid schrieb:
    > > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> There is something wrong in your FF settings then. When I look at
    >> http://www.sitesimplifier.com in FF 1.5.0.1, I see a page with a
    >> yellow background, and series of search boxes on the left with a blue
    >> background. If I disable embedded styles, the yellow background goes
    >> away, and the search area turns light blue.

    > Right, but since I didn't initially change any of my settings between
    > the installations, how can this happen?
    >
    > Later, playing around with the color settings in 1.5 and 1.6(beta) MADE
    > NO DIFFERENCE. No matter what site I looked at, the colors settings
    > were ignored.
    >
    > And going back to FF 1.0, everything was fine again.
    >
    > Granted, maybe there is something very subtle going on here that
    > typically wasn't found during testing. But if the only change
    > I make is installing 1.5 or 1.6, what else could the problem be?
    >
    > This is frustrating because I'd prefer to use the most current version
    > of FF, particularly given that CERT announcement yesterday.
    >

    > Laurie Mann
    > http://www.dpsinfo.com

    Hi Laurie,

    have to tried to create a new profile? Maybe yours is corrupt.

    Klaus
    --
    Linux User #54760
    Fingerprint: 890bdbdeaa3ddab07bac87a3115d553a

  10. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    Klaus Krtschil wrote:
    > user@domain.invalid schrieb:
    >> > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>> There is something wrong in your FF settings then. When I look at
    >>> http://www.sitesimplifier.com in FF 1.5.0.1, I see a page with a
    >>> yellow background, and series of search boxes on the left with a blue
    >>> background. If I disable embedded styles, the yellow background goes
    >>> away, and the search area turns light blue.

    >> Right, but since I didn't initially change any of my settings between
    >> the installations, how can this happen?
    >>
    >> Later, playing around with the color settings in 1.5 and 1.6(beta)
    >> MADE NO DIFFERENCE. No matter what site I looked at, the colors settings
    >> were ignored.
    >>
    >> And going back to FF 1.0, everything was fine again.
    >>
    >> Granted, maybe there is something very subtle going on here that
    >> typically wasn't found during testing. But if the only change
    >> I make is installing 1.5 or 1.6, what else could the problem be?
    >>
    >> This is frustrating because I'd prefer to use the most current version
    >> of FF, particularly given that CERT announcement yesterday.
    >>

    >> Laurie Mann
    >> http://www.dpsinfo.com

    > Hi Laurie,
    >
    > have to tried to create a new profile? Maybe yours is corrupt.

    I wasn't able to create a new profile last night. It was easier to back
    out and reinstall 1.0. I may give that a shot when I have some time
    again.

  11. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    user@domain.invalid wrote:
    > Klaus Krtschil wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Right, but since I didn't initially change any of my settings between
    >>> the installations, how can this happen?
    >>>
    >>> Later, playing around with the color settings in 1.5 and 1.6(beta)
    >>> MADE NO DIFFERENCE. No matter what site I looked at, the colors
    >>> settings
    >>> were ignored.
    >>>
    >>> And going back to FF 1.0, everything was fine again.
    >>>
    >>> Granted, maybe there is something very subtle going on here that
    >>> typically wasn't found during testing. But if the only change
    >>> I make is installing 1.5 or 1.6, what else could the problem be?
    >>>
    >>> This is frustrating because I'd prefer to use the most current version
    >>> of FF, particularly given that CERT announcement yesterday.
    >>>

    >>> Laurie Mann
    >>> http://www.dpsinfo.com

    >> Hi Laurie,
    >>
    >> have to tried to create a new profile? Maybe yours is corrupt.

    > I wasn't able to create a new profile last night. It was easier to back
    > out and reinstall 1.0. I may give that a shot when I have some time
    > again.

    Are you using the same profile for the diff versions of FF? Do you have
    a userChrome.css and/or a userContent.css file? Did you uninstall FF
    1.(something) before installing F 1.5?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  12. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > user@domain.invalid wrote:
    >> Klaus Krtschil wrote:

    >>> Hi Laurie,
    >>>
    >>> have to tried to create a new profile? Maybe yours is corrupt.

    >> I wasn't able to create a new profile last night. It was easier to
    >> back out and reinstall 1.0. I may give that a shot when I have some time
    >> again.

    > Are you using the same profile for the diff versions of FF? Do you have
    > a userChrome.css and/or a userContent.css file? Did you uninstall FF
    > 1.(something) before installing F 1.5?

    Yes, the same profile for everything.

    I'm not familiar with those CSS files. I just ran a search on my hard
    drive and didn't find them.

    Yes, I'm pretty sure I uninstalled FF 1 before installing FF 1.5

  13. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    _user@domain.invalid_ spoke thusly on 08/02/2006 6:35 AM:
    > OK, let me try that again:
    >
    > When I run either FF 1.5 or 1.6 (beta), any colors set by a CSS file AT
    > ANY WEB SITE do not appear.
    >
    > When I run FF 1 (as I went back to later), the colors DO appear.
    >
    > It wasn't something peculiar to my domain - this happened when I viewed
    > cnn.com, yahoo.com, firefox.com, et.c. But the problem went away when
    > I went back to FF1.
    >
    > Yes, of course I checked the box in Tools>Options>General>Colors that
    > said something like "Let the page set the colors." I even tried
    > unchecking it in 1.5 and 1.6 to see if it made any difference. It
    > did not.

    Make sure 'View -> Page Style' is not set to "No style".

    And please do not post as "user@domain.invalid." In Mozilla newsgroups,
    it's the equivalent of posting as "Guest." In the folder pane, select
    the news.mozilla.org server, then click on "View Settings for this
    account," to set your identity.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  14. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _user@domain.invalid_ spoke thusly on 08/02/2006 6:35 AM:
    >> OK, let me try that again:
    >>
    >> When I run either FF 1.5 or 1.6 (beta), any colors set by a CSS file
    >> AT ANY WEB SITE do not appear.
    >>
    >> When I run FF 1 (as I went back to later), the colors DO appear.
    >>
    >> It wasn't something peculiar to my domain - this happened when I viewed
    >> cnn.com, yahoo.com, firefox.com, et.c. But the problem went away when
    >> I went back to FF1.
    >>
    >> Yes, of course I checked the box in Tools>Options>General>Colors that
    >> said something like "Let the page set the colors." I even tried
    >> unchecking it in 1.5 and 1.6 to see if it made any difference. It
    >> did not.

    > Make sure 'View -> Page Style' is not set to "No style".

    I reinstalled 1.5 and tried that. It made no difference.

    I suspect I do have a corrupt profile - I've also been unable to
    run the profile manager, so I can't create a new profile to
    test this theory out.

    > And please do not post as "user@domain.invalid." In Mozilla newsgroups,
    > it's the equivalent of posting as "Guest." In the folder pane, select
    > the news.mozilla.org server, then click on "View Settings for this
    > account," to set your identity.

    Fixed.

    --
    Producer, William Tenn, A Writer's Life
    http://www.dpsinfo.com/williamtenn/benefit106.html

  15. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    _Laurie Mann_ spoke thusly on 08/02/2006 4:50 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> Make sure 'View -> Page Style' is not set to "No style".

    > I reinstalled 1.5 and tried that. It made no difference.

    Do those pages take an unusually long time to load?
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  16. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Laurie Mann_ spoke thusly on 08/02/2006 4:50 PM:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> Make sure 'View -> Page Style' is not set to "No style".

    >> I reinstalled 1.5 and tried that. It made no difference.

    > Do those pages take an unusually long time to load?

    Nope, they loaded right away in 1.5 and 1.6.

    --
    Producer, William Tenn, A Writer's Life
    http://www.dpsinfo.com/williamtenn/benefit106.html
    Confluence Program Manager
    http://www.parsec-sff.org/confluence/

  17. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    Laurie Mann wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _user@domain.invalid_ spoke thusly on 08/02/2006 6:35 AM:
    >>> OK, let me try that again:
    >>>
    >>> When I run either FF 1.5 or 1.6 (beta), any colors set by a CSS file
    >>> AT ANY WEB SITE do not appear.
    >>>
    >>> When I run FF 1 (as I went back to later), the colors DO appear.
    >>>
    >>> It wasn't something peculiar to my domain - this happened when I viewed
    >>> cnn.com, yahoo.com, firefox.com, et.c. But the problem went away when
    >>> I went back to FF1.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, of course I checked the box in Tools>Options>General>Colors that
    >>> said something like "Let the page set the colors." I even tried
    >>> unchecking it in 1.5 and 1.6 to see if it made any difference. It
    >>> did not.

    >> Make sure 'View -> Page Style' is not set to "No style".

    > I reinstalled 1.5 and tried that. It made no difference.
    >
    > I suspect I do have a corrupt profile - I've also been unable to
    > run the profile manager, so I can't create a new profile to
    > test this theory out.
    >
    >> And please do not post as "user@domain.invalid." In Mozilla
    >> newsgroups, it's the equivalent of posting as "Guest." In the folder
    >> pane, select the news.mozilla.org server, then click on "View Settings
    >> for this account," to set your identity.

    > Fixed.

    To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe
    -p in the field, and click OK. Note the space after exe, it is important.

    If these directions do not work, the usual cause is that Firefox is
    still running. Use the Task manager to kill any running processes and
    try again.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  18. Re: Poor CSS Support in Firefox 1.5 and 1.6(beta)

    Laurie Mann wrote:

    > I suspect I do have a corrupt profile - I've also been unable to
    > run the profile manager, so I can't create a new profile to
    > test this theory out.

    You closed TB before trying to run profile manager?

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -