Default to portrait orientation - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Default to portrait orientation - Mozilla ; Is there any way I can set FF 1.5.1 to default back to portrait after printing something in landscape? The way my FF works now, if I forget to put it back to portrait after printing a landscape page, I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Default to portrait orientation

  1. Default to portrait orientation

    Is there any way I can set FF 1.5.1 to default back to portrait after
    printing something in landscape?

    The way my FF works now, if I forget to put it back to portrait after
    printing a landscape page, I get the next page printed in a format I
    don't want.

    Larry



  2. Re: Default to portrait orientation

    _Larry_ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 3:23 PM:
    > Is there any way I can set FF 1.5.1 to default back to portrait after
    > printing something in landscape?


    File -> Page Setup.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  3. Re: Default to portrait orientation

    Hi Chris,

    Doesn't on mine. If I print a page in landscape today and then tomorrow
    print something again, the browser retains the landscape orientation.
    What I would like to be able to do is have the program automatically
    revert to portrait after printing in landscape since 99% of my printing
    is done in portrait mode.

    Cheers

    Larry

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    : _Larry_ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 3:23 PM:
    : : Is there any way I can set FF 1.5.1 to default back to portrait
    : : after printing something in landscape?
    :
    : File -> Page Setup.



  4. Re: Default to portrait orientation

    _Larry_ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 3:38 PM:
    > Doesn't on mine. If I print a page in landscape today and then tomorrow
    > print something again, the browser retains the landscape orientation.
    > What I would like to be able to do is have the program automatically
    > revert to portrait after printing in landscape since 99% of my printing
    > is done in portrait mode.


    As you are about to print, what does it say in the Print Preview window?
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  5. Re: Default to portrait orientation



    Chris Ilias wrote:
    : _Larry_ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 3:38 PM:
    : : Doesn't on mine. If I print a page in landscape today and then
    : : tomorrow print something again, the browser retains the landscape
    : : orientation. What I would like to be able to do is have the program
    : : automatically revert to portrait after printing in landscape since
    : : 99% of my printing is done in portrait mode.
    :
    : As you are about to print, what does it say in the Print Preview
    : window?

    If the last page printed was in landscape, then it says landscape. If
    the last page printed was in portrait, then it says portrait.

    In IE6, the machine will print in landscape only if it is changed when
    printing, if the default set in XP is portrait. The next time you print
    it has reverted to the default set in START-PRINTERS-PROPERTIES-PRINTING
    PREFERENCES.

    What I am hoping to find is a setting in FF that will put the print
    orientation back to what is set in XP as the default after FF prints the
    page, so that I don't have to try to remember to change it back. I
    would only look at 5% of the pages I am going to print in Print Preview.

    Cheers,
    Larry



  6. Re: Default to portrait orientation

    _Larry_ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 8:15 PM:
    > If the last page printed was in landscape, then it says landscape. If
    > the last page printed was in portrait, then it says portrait.


    In the location bar, enter the URL:
    about:config

    In the filter field, enter:
    print

    If you see any lines that may pertain to that setting (eg. orientation),
    right-click on it, and select "Reset".
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  7. Re: Default to portrait orientation


    Chris Ilias wrote:
    : _Larry_ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 8:15 PM:
    : : If the last page printed was in landscape, then it says landscape.
    : : If the last page printed was in portrait, then it says portrait.
    :
    : In the location bar, enter the URL:
    : about:config
    :
    : In the filter field, enter:
    : print
    :
    : If you see any lines that may pertain to that setting (eg.
    : orientation), right-click on it, and select "Reset".
    ***

    Hi Chris,

    That did it - works like a charm. I'll keep you posted should it change
    back.

    Thanks!!!

    Larry



  8. Re: Default to portrait orientation

    Larry wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    > : _Larry_ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 8:15 PM:
    > : : If the last page printed was in landscape, then it says landscape.
    > : : If the last page printed was in portrait, then it says portrait.
    > :
    > : In the location bar, enter the URL:
    > : about:config
    > :
    > : In the filter field, enter:
    > : print
    > :
    > : If you see any lines that may pertain to that setting (eg.
    > : orientation), right-click on it, and select "Reset".
    > ***
    >
    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > That did it - works like a charm. I'll keep you posted should it change
    > back.
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    >
    > Larry
    >
    >


    If you want it to be Portrait every time you open your browser put this
    in the user.js file in your profile:

    user_pref("print.printer_HP_DeskJet_895Cse.print_orientation", 0);

    Use Chris' about:config trick to find your printer spec and substitute
    it for mine in this example. You can right-click on the pref and choose
    Copy Name to make it easy to modify the pref.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net

  9. Re: Default to portrait orientation



    Ed Mullen wrote:
    : Larry wrote:
    : : Chris Ilias wrote:
    : : : _Larry_ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 8:15 PM:
    : : : : If the last page printed was in landscape, then it says
    : : : : landscape. If the last page printed was in portrait, then it
    : : : : says portrait.
    : : :
    : : : In the location bar, enter the URL:
    : : : about:config
    : : :
    : : : In the filter field, enter:
    : : : print
    : : :
    : : : If you see any lines that may pertain to that setting (eg.
    : : : orientation), right-click on it, and select "Reset".
    : : ***
    : :
    : : Hi Chris,
    : :
    : : That did it - works like a charm. I'll keep you posted should it
    : : change back.
    : :
    : : Thanks!!!
    : :
    : : Larry
    : :
    : :
    :
    : If you want it to be Portrait every time you open your browser put
    : this in the user.js file in your profile:
    :
    : user_pref("print.printer_HP_DeskJet_895Cse.print_orientation", 0);
    :
    : Use Chris' about:config trick to find your printer spec and substitute
    : it for mine in this example. You can right-click on the pref and
    : choose Copy Name to make it easy to modify the pref.

    Hi Ed,

    I don't seem to have a user.js file but do have a prefs.js file which
    has that line in it. It is already configured that way. Mine reads:
    user_pref("print.printer_HP_OfficeJet_Pro_1170C.print_orienta tion", 0);

    I have done a search on the machine with 'show hidden files' enabled and
    cannot find a user.js file. ???
    Larry



  10. Re: Default to portrait orientation

    On 2/8/2006 12:32 PM On a whim, Larry pounded out on the keyboard

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    > : Larry wrote:
    > : : Chris Ilias wrote:
    > : : : _Larry_ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 8:15 PM:
    > : : : : If the last page printed was in landscape, then it says
    > : : : : landscape. If the last page printed was in portrait, then it
    > : : : : says portrait.
    > : : :
    > : : : In the location bar, enter the URL:
    > : : : about:config
    > : : :
    > : : : In the filter field, enter:
    > : : : print
    > : : :
    > : : : If you see any lines that may pertain to that setting (eg.
    > : : : orientation), right-click on it, and select "Reset".
    > : : ***
    > : :
    > : : Hi Chris,
    > : :
    > : : That did it - works like a charm. I'll keep you posted should it
    > : : change back.
    > : :
    > : : Thanks!!!
    > : :
    > : : Larry
    > : :
    > : :
    > :
    > : If you want it to be Portrait every time you open your browser put
    > : this in the user.js file in your profile:
    > :
    > : user_pref("print.printer_HP_DeskJet_895Cse.print_orientation", 0);
    > :
    > : Use Chris' about:config trick to find your printer spec and substitute
    > : it for mine in this example. You can right-click on the pref and
    > : choose Copy Name to make it easy to modify the pref.
    >
    > Hi Ed,
    >
    > I don't seem to have a user.js file but do have a prefs.js file which
    > has that line in it. It is already configured that way. Mine reads:
    > user_pref("print.printer_HP_OfficeJet_Pro_1170C.print_orienta tion", 0);
    >
    > I have done a search on the machine with 'show hidden files' enabled and
    > cannot find a user.js file. ???
    > Larry
    >
    >


    Hi Larry,

    user.js is created by the user. It is a text file you can create in the
    same folder as prefs.js. Rather than trying to add prefs to prefs.js
    (which isn't supposed to be done), create the user.js file and add your
    changes to it. The items will be read and imported into prefs.js.

    You just have to remember that if you remove an entry in user.js, to
    edit prefs.js (with FF closed) to remove it there also because it
    doesn't get deleted just because it's removed from user.js.



    --
    Terry

  11. Re: Default to portrait orientation



    Terry wrote:
    : On 2/8/2006 12:32 PM On a whim, Larry pounded out on the keyboard
    :
    : : Ed Mullen wrote:
    : : : Larry wrote:
    : : : : Chris Ilias wrote:
    : : : : : _Larry_ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 8:15 PM:
    : : : : : : If the last page printed was in landscape, then it says
    : : : : : : landscape. If the last page printed was in portrait, then it
    : : : : : : says portrait.
    : : : : :
    : : : : : In the location bar, enter the URL:
    : : : : : about:config
    : : : : :
    : : : : : In the filter field, enter:
    : : : : : print
    : : : : :
    : : : : : If you see any lines that may pertain to that setting (eg.
    : : : : : orientation), right-click on it, and select "Reset".
    : : : : ***
    : : : :
    : : : : Hi Chris,
    : : : :
    : : : : That did it - works like a charm. I'll keep you posted should
    : : : : it change back.
    : : : :
    : : : : Thanks!!!
    : : : :
    : : : : Larry
    : : : :
    : : : :
    : : :
    : : : If you want it to be Portrait every time you open your browser put
    : : : this in the user.js file in your profile:
    : : :
    : : : user_pref("print.printer_HP_DeskJet_895Cse.print_orientation", 0);
    : : :
    : : : Use Chris' about:config trick to find your printer spec and
    : : : substitute it for mine in this example. You can right-click on
    : : : the pref and choose Copy Name to make it easy to modify the pref.
    : :
    : : Hi Ed,
    : :
    : : I don't seem to have a user.js file but do have a prefs.js file
    : : which has that line in it. It is already configured that way.
    : : Mine reads:
    : : user_pref("print.printer_HP_OfficeJet_Pro_1170C.print_orienta tion",
    : : 0);
    : :
    : : I have done a search on the machine with 'show hidden files'
    : : enabled and cannot find a user.js file. ???
    : : Larry
    : :
    : :
    :
    : Hi Larry,
    :
    : user.js is created by the user. It is a text file you can create in
    : the same folder as prefs.js. Rather than trying to add prefs to
    : prefs.js (which isn't supposed to be done), create the user.js file
    : and add your changes to it. The items will be read and imported into
    : prefs.js.
    :
    : You just have to remember that if you remove an entry in user.js, to
    : edit prefs.js (with FF closed) to remove it there also because it
    : doesn't get deleted just because it's removed from user.js.

    OK thanks Terry. Have set up the user.js file and will see how it goes.
    Larry



+ Reply to Thread