Firefox 1.5.0.1 Autoupdate doesn't work for non admins - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox 1.5.0.1 Autoupdate doesn't work for non admins - Mozilla ; Does anyone know a work around to have Firefox install for nonadmins? TIA, Susan....

  1. Firefox 1.5.0.1 Autoupdate doesn't work for non admins

    Does anyone know a work around to have Firefox install for nonadmins?

    TIA, Susan.

  2. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.1 Autoupdate doesn't work for non admins

    Susan Banks wrote:
    > Does anyone know a work around to have Firefox install for nonadmins?
    >
    > TIA, Susan.

    You can install a zip build, though there no unofficial builds. Safest
    thing might be to run portable Firefox on a removable drive, which will
    leave no traces on the host computer:

    http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...rtable_firefox

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

  3. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.1 Autoupdate doesn't work for non admins

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Susan Banks wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know a work around to have Firefox install for nonadmins?
    >>
    >> TIA, Susan.

    > You can install a zip build, though there no unofficial builds. Safest
    > thing might be to run portable Firefox on a removable drive, which will
    > leave no traces on the host computer:
    >
    > http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...rtable_firefox
    >
    > Lee

    Lee,

    This is a good suggestion, but we deploy mozilla to over 300 clients
    using AD and the the firefox msi. I'm wondering if there is a registry
    tweak or if special rights need to be set to allow non admins to
    "appreciate" the new autoupdate feature of 1.5.

    Thanks. Susan.

  4. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.1 Autoupdate doesn't work for non admins

    Susan Banks wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Susan Banks wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know a work around to have Firefox install for nonadmins?
    >>>
    >>> TIA, Susan.

    >> You can install a zip build, though there no unofficial builds.
    >> Safest thing might be to run portable Firefox on a removable drive,
    >> which will leave no traces on the host computer:
    >>
    >> http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...rtable_firefox
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > Lee,
    >
    > This is a good suggestion, but we deploy mozilla to over 300 clients
    > using AD and the the firefox msi. I'm wondering if there is a registry
    > tweak or if special rights need to be set to allow non admins to
    > "appreciate" the new autoupdate feature of 1.5.
    >
    > Thanks. Susan.

    To make it incremental update work, users would need write access to the
    Firefox install directory. I guess you won't want to do that.

    You could batch Firefox to run as admin overnight when an update came
    out, but would need to ensure that the user had logged off (or wasn't
    running Firefox at the time). You'd need to tweak the update frequency
    settings and .... etc etc. It's a nasty cludge.

    To be honest, the best thing to do might be to continue to push these
    3rd party MSI packages when they come out. My impression is that Mozilla
    Corp needs to hear from corporates/institutions more - asking them to
    add provide better support - because this keeps falling off the roadmaps
    for new releases.

+ Reply to Thread