Banking website question - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Banking website question - Mozilla ; The actual login page for my bank (accessible via "account login" > "bank login" at http://www.smile.co.uk ) is either https://welcome8.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do or https://welcome9.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do For some reason they keep alternating between "8" and "9". I currently get round this minor annoyance by ...

  1. Banking website question

    The actual login page for my bank (accessible via "account login" >
    "bank login" at http://www.smile.co.uk) is either
    https://welcome8.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do or
    https://welcome9.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do

    For some reason they keep alternating between "8" and "9".

    I currently get round this minor annoyance by having links to both pages
    in my personal toolbar. If one doesn't work, I simply click on the other.

    Is there a smarter way of doing this that avoids wasting valuable space
    on the personal toolbar?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  2. Re: Banking website question

    Herb wrote:
    > The actual login page for my bank (accessible via "account login" >
    > "bank login" at http://www.smile.co.uk) is either
    > https://welcome8.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do or
    > https://welcome9.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do
    >
    > For some reason they keep alternating between "8" and "9".
    >
    > I currently get round this minor annoyance by having links to both pages
    > in my personal toolbar. If one doesn't work, I simply click on the other.
    >
    > Is there a smarter way of doing this that avoids wasting valuable space
    > on the personal toolbar?

    The bank may have set up the login on alternate servers to balance the
    load or to allow for updates/maintenance without the necessity of
    restricting access. To avoid this, bookmark the site prior to the
    server selection point, i.e. use http://www.smile.co.uk

  3. Re: Banking website question

    On 07.02.2006 14:02 UK Time, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >> The actual login page for my bank (accessible via "account login" >
    >> "bank login" at http://www.smile.co.uk) is either
    >> https://welcome8.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do or
    >> https://welcome9.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do
    >>
    >> For some reason they keep alternating between "8" and "9".
    >>
    >> I currently get round this minor annoyance by having links to both
    >> pages in my personal toolbar. If one doesn't work, I simply click on
    >> the other.
    >>
    >> Is there a smarter way of doing this that avoids wasting valuable
    >> space on the personal toolbar?
    >>

    > The bank may have set up the login on alternate servers to balance the
    > load or to allow for updates/maintenance without the necessity of
    > restricting access. To avoid this, bookmark the site prior to the
    > server selection point, i.e. use http://www.smile.co.uk

    Yes, sure, thanks, but since I use the site regularly I want to avoid
    having to click twice from http://www.smile.co.uk

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  4. Re: Banking website question

    On 2/7/2006 5:38 AM On a whim, Herb pounded out on the keyboard

    > The actual login page for my bank (accessible via "account login" >
    > "bank login" at http://www.smile.co.uk) is either
    > https://welcome8.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do or
    > https://welcome9.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do
    >
    > For some reason they keep alternating between "8" and "9".
    >
    > I currently get round this minor annoyance by having links to both pages
    > in my personal toolbar. If one doesn't work, I simply click on the other.
    >
    > Is there a smarter way of doing this that avoids wasting valuable space
    > on the personal toolbar?

    Herb,

    It appears this is the "Account login" page (looking at the status bar
    while hovering over the drop down menu):

    http://www.smile.co.uk/cgi-bin/sm_launch.cgi?banking

    That link redirects to one of the other servers. I would use the above
    for your toolbar and let it decide for you.

    --
    Terry

  5. Re: Banking website question

    On 07.02.2006 15:00 UK Time, Terry wrote:
    > On 2/7/2006 5:38 AM On a whim, Herb pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> The actual login page for my bank (accessible via "account login" >
    >> "bank login" at http://www.smile.co.uk) is either
    >> https://welcome8.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do or
    >> https://welcome9.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do
    >>
    >> For some reason they keep alternating between "8" and "9".
    >>
    >> I currently get round this minor annoyance by having links to both
    >> pages in my personal toolbar. If one doesn't work, I simply click on
    >> the other.
    >>
    >> Is there a smarter way of doing this that avoids wasting valuable
    >> space on the personal toolbar?
    >>

    > Herb,
    >
    > It appears this is the "Account login" page (looking at the status bar
    > while hovering over the drop down menu):
    >
    > http://www.smile.co.uk/cgi-bin/sm_launch.cgi?banking
    >
    > That link redirects to one of the other servers. I would use the above
    > for your toolbar and let it decide for you.

    Splendid, thanks! 8-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  6. Re: Banking website question

    On 2/7/2006 7:05 AM On a whim, Herb pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 07.02.2006 15:00 UK Time, Terry wrote:
    >> On 2/7/2006 5:38 AM On a whim, Herb pounded out on the keyboard
    >>
    >>> The actual login page for my bank (accessible via "account login" >
    >>> "bank login" at http://www.smile.co.uk) is either
    >>> https://welcome8.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do or
    >>> https://welcome9.smile.co.uk/SmileWeb/start.do
    >>>
    >>> For some reason they keep alternating between "8" and "9".
    >>>
    >>> I currently get round this minor annoyance by having links to both
    >>> pages in my personal toolbar. If one doesn't work, I simply click on
    >>> the other.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a smarter way of doing this that avoids wasting valuable
    >>> space on the personal toolbar?
    >>>

    >> Herb,
    >>
    >> It appears this is the "Account login" page (looking at the status bar
    >> while hovering over the drop down menu):
    >>
    >> http://www.smile.co.uk/cgi-bin/sm_launch.cgi?banking
    >>
    >> That link redirects to one of the other servers. I would use the above
    >> for your toolbar and let it decide for you.
    >>

    > Splendid, thanks! 8-)

    You're welcome!

    --
    Terry