Sending Hyperlink - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Sending Hyperlink - Mozilla ; When sending a url address to someone, say by email or posting in a news group, how do you make the link take them to the target portion of a very long page?...

  1. Sending Hyperlink

    When sending a url address to someone, say by email or posting in a news
    group, how do you make the link take them to the target portion of a very
    long page?

  2. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 17:05:39 -0500, Pat Falango wrote in message
    :

    > When sending a url address to someone, say by email or posting in a news
    > group, how do you make the link take them to the target portion of a very
    > long page?

    That can only be done with HTML editing, so it's really only possible if
    you're sending a link to page you own or operate yourself.

  3. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    On 04-02-2006 23:05 CET, Pat Falango composed this enchanting statement:
    > When sending a url address to someone, say by email or posting in a news
    > group, how do you make the link take them to the target portion of a very
    > long page?

    look into tools->'page info' for anchor point.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  4. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >On 04-02-2006 23:05 CET, Pat Falango composed this enchanting statement:
    >

    >>When sending a url address to someone, say by email or posting in a news
    >>group, how do you make the link take them to the target portion of a very
    >>long page?
    >>

    >look into tools->'page info' for anchor point.

    Is this something new in FF1.5? (I don't see it in 1.0.7.)

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO

  5. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Chuck Anderson wrote in
    :

    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >
    >> On 04-02-2006 23:05 CET, Pat Falango composed this enchanting
    >> statement:
    >>

    >>> When sending a url address to someone, say by email or posting in
    >>> a news group, how do you make the link take them to the target
    >>> portion of a very long page?

    >> look into tools->'page info' for anchor point.
    >>

    > Is this something new in FF1.5? (I don't see it in 1.0.7.)

    'Page Info' was definitely in Fx 1.0.7. Maybe it's under the view menu
    instead of tools?

  6. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Q wrote in

    > Chuck Anderson wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 04-02-2006 23:05 CET, Pat Falango composed this
    >>> enchanting statement:

    >>> look into tools->'page info' for anchor point.
    >>>

    >> Is this something new in FF1.5? (I don't see it in 1.0.7.)

    > 'Page Info' was definitely in Fx 1.0.7. Maybe it's under the
    > view menu instead of tools?

    No, it's gone.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Brain is my second favorite organ. (Woody Allen)

  7. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Q wrote in

    > Chuck Anderson wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 04-02-2006 23:05 CET, Pat Falango composed this
    >>> enchanting statement:

    >>> look into tools->'page info' for anchor point.
    >>>

    >> Is this something new in FF1.5? (I don't see it in 1.0.7.)

    > 'Page Info' was definitely in Fx 1.0.7. Maybe it's under the
    > view menu instead of tools?

    I take it back; it used to be under View, but now it's under
    Tools.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Brain is my second favorite organ. (Woody Allen)

  8. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > Q wrote in
    >
    >> Chuck Anderson wrote in
    >> :

    >>> Is this something new in FF1.5? (I don't see it in 1.0.7.)

    >> 'Page Info' was definitely in Fx 1.0.7. Maybe it's under the
    >> view menu instead of tools?
    >>

    > No, it's gone.

    I seem to recall right clicking in the page to get the page info choice.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  9. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 04-02-2006 23:05 CET, Pat Falango composed this enchanting
    > statement:
    >> When sending a url address to someone, say by email or posting in a
    >> news group, how do you make the link take them to the target portion
    >> of a very long page?
    >>

    > look into tools->'page info' for anchor point.

    Melchert,
    Thanks, that was just what I needed.

  10. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > Q wrote
    >> Chuck Anderson wrote in

    .... snip ...

    >>> Is this something new in FF1.5? (I don't see it in 1.0.7.)

    >> 'Page Info' was definitely in Fx 1.0.7. Maybe it's under the
    >> view menu instead of tools?

    > No, it's gone.

    It is present under tools in FF1.5 here, under W98.

    --
    "The power of the Executive to cast a man into prison without
    formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to
    whether Nazi or Communist." -- W. Churchill, Nov 21, 1943

  11. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    _Christopher Jahn_ spoke thusly on 04/02/2006 7:33 PM:
    > Q wrote in
    >
    >> 'Page Info' was definitely in Fx 1.0.7. Maybe it's under the
    >> view menu instead of tools?

    > I take it back; it used to be under View, but now it's under
    > Tools.

    In SeaMonkey and the Mozilla Suite, it is under 'View'. For all versions
    of Firefox, it is under 'Tools'.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  12. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Q wrote:

    >Chuck Anderson wrote in
    >:
    >

    >>Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>

    >>>On 04-02-2006 23:05 CET, Pat Falango composed this enchanting
    >>>statement:

    >>>look into tools->'page info' for anchor point.
    >>>

    >>Is this something new in FF1.5? (I don't see it in 1.0.7.)
    >>

    >'Page Info' was definitely in Fx 1.0.7. Maybe it's under the view menu
    >instead of tools?

    I meant the anchor point part. I don't see any reference to anchor
    points in Page Info. (I am looking at a page I created that has named
    anchors in it.)

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO

  13. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    On 05-02-2006 22:32 CET, Chuck Anderson composed this enchanting statement:
    > Q wrote:
    >> Chuck Anderson wrote in
    >> :
    >>> Is this something new in FF1.5? (I don't see it in 1.0.7.)

    >> 'Page Info' was definitely in Fx 1.0.7. Maybe it's under the view menu
    >> instead of tools?

    > I meant the anchor point part. I don't see any reference to anchor
    > points in Page Info. (I am looking at a page I created that has named
    > anchors in it.)

    ..
    not in the 'links' section?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  14. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Chuck Anderson wrote:

    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >

    >>On 04-02-2006 23:05 CET, Pat Falango composed this enchanting statement:
    >>

    >>>When sending a url address to someone, say by email or posting in a news
    >>>group, how do you make the link take them to the target portion of a very
    >>>long page?
    >>>

    >>look into tools->'page info' for anchor point.
    >>

    > Is this something new in FF1.5? (I don't see it in 1.0.7.)

    No, its there in 1.0.7 aswell. Its down near the bottom.

    --
    Time for a change

  15. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >On 05-02-2006 22:32 CET, Chuck Anderson composed this enchanting statement:
    >

    >>Q wrote:
    >>

    >>>Chuck Anderson wrote in
    >>>:

    >>>'Page Info' was definitely in Fx 1.0.7. Maybe it's under the view menu
    >>>instead of tools?
    >>>

    >>I meant the anchor point part. I don't see any reference to anchor
    >>points in Page Info. (I am looking at a page I created that has named
    >>anchors in it.)
    >>

    >.
    >not in the 'links' section?

    I see the word - Anchor - for anchors that contain hyperlinks, but I see
    nothing called Anchor point and no simple named anchors - without
    hyperlinks (e.g., ).

    I figured this was what the first reply was referring to. This is how
    you can get to a specific location on a page using a url like -
    somepage.html#locationA.

    Like here:
    http://cycletourist.com/Seattle_To_S...1-4.html#Day_1

    I do not see any Anchor points (the named anchors placed at specific
    locations on this page) in Page Info. If you view source can find these ...

    .... but they do not show up in Page Info.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO

  16. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Chuck Anderson wrote in
    :

    > Like here:
    > http://cycletourist.com/Seattle_To_S...1-4.html#Day_1
    >
    > I do not see any Anchor points (the named anchors placed at
    > specific locations on this page) in Page Info. If you view source
    > can find these ...
    >

    > ... but they do not show up in Page Info.

    They do show up for me in the links tab of Page Info, with Fx 1.5.0.1,
    but the display is mostly useless. The Type column says Anchor, but
    the Name and Address columns are blank.

    If there's any text inside the anchor tag, e.g.
    text here, that shows up in the Name column.
    ISTM that if the tag is empty, the name or id attribute should show up
    in the Name column.

    And it looks like only an href attribute will show up in the Address
    column. For a named anchor without href, ISTM the name or id attribute
    should be used along with the document's URL to create the URL for the
    Address column.

  17. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Q wrote:

    >Chuck Anderson wrote in
    >:
    >

    >>Like here:
    >>http://cycletourist.com/Seattle_To_S...1-4.html#Day_1
    >>
    >>I do not see any Anchor points (the named anchors placed at
    >>specific locations on this page) in Page Info. If you view source
    >>can find these ...
    >>

    >>... but they do not show up in Page Info.
    >>

    >They do show up for me in the links tab of Page Info, with Fx 1.5.0.1,
    >but the display is mostly useless. The Type column says Anchor, but
    >the Name and Address columns are blank.

    Okay, now I see them in 1.0.7. I was looking for the words "Anchor
    point" (as stated in the earlier post). Now I see that they are the
    nearly blank lines with "Anchor" in the last column. That's not very
    useful ... in fact it is, as you say, useless.

    It would be great to be able to quickly scan for named anchors on a page
    in case there was one close to where you'd like to point a bookmark. (I
    do this with some of the bookmarks into my local copy of the Php manual.)

    >If there's any text inside the anchor tag, e.g.
    >text here, that shows up in the Name column.

    Okay, ... ??. Not sure why the term "Name" would be used when there is
    an actual name attribute associated with anchors.

    >ISTM that if the tag is empty, the name or id attribute should show up
    >in the Name column.

    That would be nice. And ISTM that it should be that way even if it's not
    empty. After all, it's the "name" attribute. But then, I was only
    looking for a shortcut to info I very infrequently seek on a page (are
    there any named anchor points that I can refer to?), so I'm not really
    too concerned. (I search the page source for "name=".)

    >And it looks like only an href attribute will show up in the Address
    >column. For a named anchor without href, ISTM the name or id attribute
    >should be used along with the document's URL to create the URL for the
    >Address column.

    It seems like that would get confusing as you wouldn't know if that was
    a source anchor (href - a hyperlink to something else) or a named,
    destination anchor on that page.

    I remember reading a long time ago that named anchors might not work if
    there was no text after the tag. I found that
    merely closing it with
    always works in all browsers I've tested
    with, and I that is how I usually want to use them (no extra visible
    text at that location), so I've always written them that way. This is
    the first time I have seen any reason to include some text between the
    opening and closing tag.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO

  18. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Chuck Anderson wrote in
    :

    > But then, I was only looking for a shortcut to info I very
    > infrequently seek on a page (are there any named anchor points
    > that I can refer to?), so I'm not really too concerned. (I search
    > the page source for "name=".)

    You should also search for "id=". will work just
    as well as
    . With Firefox, it seems to work with
    any tag that has an id attribute, e.g.
    will let
    you link directly to the div using
    www.example.com/page.htm#anchorpoint. It also works with IE7 beta, so
    I'd guess it works with any modern browser.

  19. Re: Sending Hyperlink

    Q wrote:

    >Chuck Anderson wrote in
    >:
    >

    >>But then, I was only looking for a shortcut to info I very
    >>infrequently seek on a page (are there any named anchor points
    >>that I can refer to?), so I'm not really too concerned. (I search
    >>the page source for "name=".)
    >>

    >You should also search for "id=". will work just
    >as well as
    . With Firefox, it seems to work with
    >any tag that has an id attribute, e.g.
    will let
    >you link directly to the div using

    www.example.com/page.htm#anchorpoint. It also works with IE7 beta, so
    >I'd guess it works with any modern browser.

    That's good to know. Thanks.

    --
    Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO

+ Reply to Thread