Delete search engines from list - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Delete search engines from list - Mozilla ; In FF 1.5.0.1 is there a way to delete unwanted search engines from the drop-down list? They are creating a lot of clutter there. I am very much a computer novice. TIA, Paul in San Francisco...

  1. Delete search engines from list

    In FF 1.5.0.1 is there a way to delete unwanted search engines from the
    drop-down list? They are creating a lot of clutter there.
    I am very much a computer novice.
    TIA, Paul in San Francisco

  2. Re: Delete search engines from list

    Paul MR wrote in
    :

    > In FF 1.5.0.1 is there a way to delete unwanted search engines
    > from the drop-down list? They are creating a lot of clutter
    > there. I am very much a computer novice.

    It would be nice if it were easier, but you have to hunt down and
    delete some files to get rid of them. See
    for instructions.

  3. Re: Delete search engines from list

    Q wrote:
    > Paul MR wrote in
    > :
    >

    >>In FF 1.5.0.1 is there a way to delete unwanted search engines
    >>from the drop-down list? They are creating a lot of clutter
    >>there. I am very much a computer novice.

    > It would be nice if it were easier, but you have to hunt down and
    > delete some files to get rid of them. See
    > for instructions.

    Thanks for the info and link. Apparently default search engines are too
    risky to be removed by novices like me. But I now know how to remove
    those I added myself.

    Paul

  4. Re: Delete search engines from list

    Paul MR wrote in
    :

    > Q wrote:
    >> Paul MR wrote in
    >> :
    >>
    >>> In FF 1.5.0.1 is there a way to delete unwanted search engines
    >>> from the drop-down list?

    >> It would be nice if it were easier, but you have to hunt down and
    >> delete some files to get rid of them. See
    >> for
    >> instructions.

    > Thanks for the info and link. Apparently default search engines
    > are too risky to be removed by novices like me. But I now know
    > how to remove those I added myself.

    I didn't notice the link to extensions at the bottom of the page
    until after I had posted that. I just tried SearchPluginHacks, and
    it makes deleting the default plugins easy. (I believe it will only
    work if you have administrator privileges.)