not responding??? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on not responding??? - Mozilla ; Pete wrote: > Ed Mullen wrote: >> Pete wrote: >>> gwtc wrote: >>>> Pete wrote: >>>> [SNIP] >>>>> We have been through this before Lee, six months ago in Tbird. >>>>> Every time I say something that is not in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 48 of 48

  1. Re: Blank space on bottom of FF1.5 window.

    Pete wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Pete wrote:
    >>> You are absolutely wrong about that. I used to go to them six
    >>> months ago to check them out and they had more users in them then
    >>> non users and Chris and Lee said you shouldn't use them because they
    >>> were for development, but a lot of users were in there anyway. So
    >>> there. Now don't start up on my again. I just thanked Ed for his nice
    >>> comment and you start up again.
    >>>

    >> Pete, those old servers were originally for developers only but, over
    >> time, were usurped by users. As gwtc noted, the devs mostly abandoned
    >> them. The new groups were created, in part, to fix that problem,
    >> which arose from an unfortunate naming decision of "public". Believe
    >> me, if users start posting on those new groups the devs most
    >> assuredly will not go away, the users will be (at first) politely
    >> directed to these groups.
    >> Now, take ten deep breaths and call me in the morning. :-D

    > How about 10 deep breaths and 10 beers :-):-) .

    Ooooo! I like how you think!

    Hey, either way, you're only a beer away from newsgroup angst to sublime
    content. Pete, it's only software, laugh. Grin. Shake your head and
    move on. Kay? It's not important enough to suffer an implosion about.
    Honest, I know, I've done it early on. Now I get it, it's just bytes in
    cyber space. Life is too short, relax and have another beer (on me!). ;-)

    And we'll all live to laugh another day.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  2. Re: Blank space on bottom of FF1.5 window.

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> which developers groups are you talking about? The ones that start
    >> with netscape.public.mozilla.*? If yes, then those *were* for the
    >> developers only, but the end users flooded those groups with
    >> questions, that the developers abandoned them. The developers are now
    >> at mozilla.dev.* and those are strickly for developers only, and not
    >> for end users or support questions.

    > Not to flog a dead horse more than absolutely necessary (or at least
    > enjoyable), but what idiot thought that putting 'public' in the group name
    > rather than 'developers' was a good idea?[1] And, having attracted a
    > lot of
    > users who figured that since they were the public the group was for
    > them, how
    > difficult would it have been to change the name? They're DEVELOPERS, for
    > chrissake, they should have been able to deal with a namechange...
    >
    > Fortunately, somebody learned a useful lesson.
    >
    > [1] Yeah, I know what they meant, but it didn't quite work out that way.

    Well, it is dead horse, that's why these groups exist.

    The term public was supposed to indicate that the groups were available
    to developers via usenet. At the time, no one expected to be flooded
    with end user questions, because, as the watchword of the day went
    "Mozilla is not for end users!"

    Remember those days, Mozilla was just a testing ground for others (read
    Netscape) to build their products on.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: Blank space on bottom of FF1.5 window.

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> Pete, those old servers were originally for developers only but,
    >>> over time, were usurped by users. As gwtc noted, the devs mostly
    >>> abandoned them. The new groups were created, in part, to fix that
    >>> problem, which arose from an unfortunate naming decision of
    >>> "public". Believe me, if users start posting on those new groups
    >>> the devs most assuredly will not go away, the users will be (at
    >>> first) politely directed to these groups.
    >>> Now, take ten deep breaths and call me in the morning. :-D

    >> How about 10 deep breaths and 10 beers :-):-) .
    >>

    > Ooooo! I like how you think!
    >
    > Hey, either way, you're only a beer away from newsgroup angst to
    > sublime content. Pete, it's only software, laugh. Grin. Shake your
    > head and move on. Kay? It's not important enough to suffer an
    > implosion about. Honest, I know, I've done it early on. Now I get it,
    > it's just bytes in cyber space. Life is too short, relax and have
    > another beer (on me!). ;-)
    > And we'll all live to laugh another day.

    You are right Ed. Thanks, and have a nice night :-) ...Pete

  4. Re: Blank space on bottom of FF1.5 window.

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:
    >>
    >>> which developers groups are you talking about? The ones that start with
    >>> netscape.public.mozilla.*? If yes, then those *were* for the
    >>> developers only, but the end users flooded those groups with questions,
    >>> that the developers abandoned them. The developers are now at
    >>> mozilla.dev.* and those are strickly for developers only, and not for
    >>> end users or support questions.

    >> Not to flog a dead horse more than absolutely necessary (or at least
    >> enjoyable), but what idiot thought that putting 'public' in the group
    >> name rather than 'developers' was a good idea?[1] And, having attracted
    >> a lot of users who figured that since they were the public the group was
    >> for them, how difficult would it have been to change the name? They're
    >> DEVELOPERS, for chrissake, they should have been able to deal with a
    >> namechange...
    >>
    >> Fortunately, somebody learned a useful lesson.
    >>
    >> [1] Yeah, I know what they meant, but it didn't quite work out that way.

    > Well, it is dead horse, that's why these groups exist.
    >
    > The term public was supposed to indicate that the groups were available to
    > developers via usenet. At the time, no one expected to be flooded with end
    > user questions, because, as the watchword of the day went "Mozilla is not
    > for end users!"

    Yeah, but since one of those groups seemed to be the only one dealing with
    what was of most interest to me (linux/mailnews), where else to go?

    > Remember those days, Mozilla was just a testing ground for others (read
    > Netscape) to build their products on.

    Hrm. As an outsider, I thought that the Mozilla stuff was broken off from the
    Netscape/AOL/somehow for profit stuff. NS would absorb Moz good stuff, but
    everything was somehow different.

    Anyway, water under the bridge. Everything is all better now, bordering on
    wonderful.

    I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's
    a bunny with a pancake on his head:
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc15.jpg

  5. Re: Blank space on bottom of FF1.5 window.

    The Real Bev wrote in
    :

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:

    >> Remember those days, Mozilla was just a testing ground for others
    >> (read Netscape) to build their products on.

    > Hrm. As an outsider, I thought that the Mozilla stuff was broken
    > off from the Netscape/AOL/somehow for profit stuff. NS would
    > absorb Moz good stuff, but everything was somehow different.

    Netscape still retained a lot of control for quite a while. How
    much and for how long varies depending on whose point-of-view you
    listen to. Ben Goodger, head Firefox engineer, has just posted an
    interesting history explaining in some depth his view on what the
    relationship between Netscape and Mozilla was in those days and how
    we ended up with Firefox.

    > Anyway, water under the bridge. Everything is all better now,
    > bordering on wonderful.

    Not for everybody, apparently. Chase Phillips, who has been a very
    significant contributor to Firefox, is resigning because he's no longer
    happy working with the Mozilla Corporation. So here's another blog
    link.

    The comments from his fellow mozillans are worth reading too, IMO.

  6. Re: Blank space on bottom of FF1.5 window.

    _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 12:26 AM:

    http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/04/history...ewsgroups.html

    >> Remember those days, Mozilla was just a testing ground for others
    >> (read Netscape) to build their products on.

    > Hrm. As an outsider, I thought that the Mozilla stuff was broken off
    > from the
    > Netscape/AOL/somehow for profit stuff. NS would absorb Moz good stuff, but
    > everything was somehow different.

    You're thinking different days. When Lee says "Remember those days",
    he's referring to a time before Mozilla broke off from AOL.
    For more info, see
    http://ilias.ca/MozillaNetscapeRelationship.html
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  7. Re: Blank space on bottom of FF1.5 window.

    Pete wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >>Pete wrote:

    >>>How about 10 deep breaths and 10 beers :-):-) .
    >>>

    >>Ooooo! I like how you think!
    >>
    >>Hey, either way, you're only a beer away from newsgroup angst to
    >>sublime content. Pete, it's only software, laugh. Grin. Shake your
    >>head and move on. Kay? It's not important enough to suffer an
    >>implosion about. Honest, I know, I've done it early on. Now I get it,
    >>it's just bytes in cyber space. Life is too short, relax and have
    >>another beer (on me!). ;-)
    >>And we'll all live to laugh another day.

    > You are right Ed. Thanks, and have a nice night :-) ...Pete

    Pete and Ed, I'll get you both off to a good start:
    http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=5109wf.gif

    --
    Time for a change

  8. Re: Blank space on bottom of FF1.5 window.

    gwtc wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >
    > Pete and Ed, I'll get you both off to a good start:
    > http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=5109wf.gif

    Excellent! :-)

    --
    Ed Mullen