firefox upgrade? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on firefox upgrade? - Mozilla ; I have firefox 1.0.6 on my pc, and read that the critical secruity update is available. Using the function within Tools>Options> Advanced> Software Update I clicked on Check Now. A screen came which appeared to be downing loading the update, ...

  1. firefox upgrade?

    I have firefox 1.0.6 on my pc, and read that the critical secruity
    update is available. Using the function within Tools>Options> Advanced>
    Software Update I clicked on Check Now. A screen came which appeared to
    be downing loading the update, but nothing happened. Just a small circle
    of arrows scrolling counter clockwise but nothing happening after 10
    minutes.

    I checked the web site for firefox which offers a product called 1.5,
    which I am assuming is the latest updated version. There's no link to
    upgrade an exisitng client nor any indication of the critical security
    issues this newest version is meant to fix on older versions.

    Where can I find a means to upgrade my software? I've had similar issues
    before when clicking on the notice that pops-up for updates.... endless
    going nowhere with no notification of what the problem might be or how
    to fix it. I've never been capable of updating this software using the
    means this program attempts to offer me.

    Please understand I'm a novice where software is concerned, so my skill
    set is questionable at best in regards to work arounds and the like.

    Thanks...

    cheryl.....

  2. Re: firefox upgrade?

    cher wrote:
    > I have firefox 1.0.6 on my pc, and read that the critical secruity
    > update is available. Using the function within Tools>Options> Advanced>
    > Software Update I clicked on Check Now. A screen came which appeared to
    > be downing loading the update, but nothing happened. Just a small circle
    > of arrows scrolling counter clockwise but nothing happening after 10
    > minutes.
    >
    > I checked the web site for firefox which offers a product called 1.5,
    > which I am assuming is the latest updated version. There's no link to
    > upgrade an exisitng client nor any indication of the critical security
    > issues this newest version is meant to fix on older versions.
    >
    > Where can I find a means to upgrade my software? I've had similar issues
    > before when clicking on the notice that pops-up for updates.... endless
    > going nowhere with no notification of what the problem might be or how
    > to fix it. I've never been capable of updating this software using the
    > means this program attempts to offer me.
    >
    > Please understand I'm a novice where software is concerned, so my skill
    > set is questionable at best in regards to work arounds and the like.
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > cheryl.....

    The latest version for Firefox is 1.5.0.1 and you can download it at
    www.mozilla.org/firefox . You will want to uninstall your current
    version (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs)(you will not lose your
    settings) and then install the new version.

    Also, the latest version of Thunderbird is 1.5. It can be downloaded
    from www.mozilla.org/thunderbird . As mentioned above, uninstall your
    current version and then install the new version.

    ken

  3. Re: firefox upgrade?

    ken wrote:
    > cher wrote:
    >> I have firefox 1.0.6 on my pc, and read that the critical secruity
    >> update is available. Using the function within Tools>Options>
    >> Advanced> Software Update I clicked on Check Now. A screen came which
    >> appeared to be downing loading the update, but nothing happened. Just
    >> a small circle of arrows scrolling counter clockwise but nothing
    >> happening after 10 minutes.
    >>
    >> I checked the web site for firefox which offers a product called 1.5,
    >> which I am assuming is the latest updated version. There's no link to
    >> upgrade an exisitng client nor any indication of the critical security
    >> issues this newest version is meant to fix on older versions.
    >>
    >> Where can I find a means to upgrade my software? I've had similar
    >> issues before when clicking on the notice that pops-up for updates....
    >> endless going nowhere with no notification of what the problem might
    >> be or how to fix it. I've never been capable of updating this software
    >> using the means this program attempts to offer me.
    >>
    >> Please understand I'm a novice where software is concerned, so my
    >> skill set is questionable at best in regards to work arounds and the
    >> like.
    >>
    >> Thanks...
    >>
    >> cheryl.....

    > The latest version for Firefox is 1.5.0.1 and you can download it at
    > www.mozilla.org/firefox . You will want to uninstall your current
    > version (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs)(you will not lose your
    > settings) and then install the new version.

    If she is replacing 1.0.6, she should also delete the Program Folder.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  4. Re: firefox upgrade?

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > If she is replacing 1.0.6, she should also delete the Program Folder.
    >
    > Irwin

    What program folder, where? Good thing I'm not so novice that I run off
    and delete the program folder from explorer. ;-)

  5. Re: firefox upgrade?

    _cher_ spoke thusly on 03/02/2006 2:40 PM:
    > ken wrote:
    >> The latest version for Firefox is 1.5.0.1 and you can download it at
    >> www.mozilla.org/firefox . You will want to uninstall your current
    >> version (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs)(you will not lose your
    >> settings) and then install the new version.

    > Ouch... well, that's not what I was hoping to hear. What happens to my
    > settings, bookmarks, emails and the like in this sort of scenerio?

    As ken stated "you will not lose your settings." :-)

    Also, the correct URL is http://www.mozilla.com/firefox
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  6. Re: firefox upgrade?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _cher_ spoke thusly on 03/02/2006 2:40 PM:
    >
    >>ken wrote:
    >>
    >>>The latest version for Firefox is 1.5.0.1 and you can download it at
    >>>www.mozilla.org/firefox . You will want to uninstall your current
    >>>version (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs)(you will not lose your
    >>>settings) and then install the new version.

    >>Ouch... well, that's not what I was hoping to hear. What happens to my
    >>settings, bookmarks, emails and the like in this sort of scenerio?

    > As ken stated "you will not lose your settings." :-)
    >
    > Also, the correct URL is http://www.mozilla.com/firefox

    Thank you! I went back in and reread the release notes, without
    hyperventilating this time and saw the mention of where the profile file
    is on my harddrive. I downloaded the program and installed it and so far
    so good! Keeping my fingers crossed! Thank you for answering my
    questions.

  7. Re: firefox upgrade?

    cher wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > > If she is replacing 1.0.6, she should also delete the Program Folder.
    >>
    >> Irwin

    > What program folder, where? Good thing I'm not so novice that I run off
    > and delete the program folder from explorer. ;-)

    I don't use standard locations so I'm not sure, but it's either:

    C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Firefox
    or
    C:\Program Files\Firefox
    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  8. Re: firefox upgrade?

    cher wrote:
    > I have firefox 1.0.6 on my pc, and read that the critical secruity
    > update is available. Using the function within Tools>Options> Advanced>
    > Software Update I clicked on Check Now. A screen came which appeared to
    > be downing loading the update, but nothing happened. Just a small circle
    > of arrows scrolling counter clockwise but nothing happening after 10
    > minutes.
    >
    > I checked the web site for firefox which offers a product called 1.5,
    > which I am assuming is the latest updated version. There's no link to
    > upgrade an exisitng client nor any indication of the critical security
    > issues this newest version is meant to fix on older versions.
    >
    > Where can I find a means to upgrade my software? I've had similar issues
    > before when clicking on the notice that pops-up for updates.... endless
    > going nowhere with no notification of what the problem might be or how
    > to fix it. I've never been capable of updating this software using the
    > means this program attempts to offer me.
    >
    > Please understand I'm a novice where software is concerned, so my skill
    > set is questionable at best in regards to work arounds and the like.
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > cheryl.....

    Its a flaw in the FF 1.0.x series. The update function won't
    recognize the 1.5.x series.

    --
    Time for a change

  9. Re: firefox upgrade?

    gwtc wrote:
    > Its a flaw in the FF 1.0.x series. The update function won't
    > recognize the 1.5.x series.

    Thank you! :-D

  10. Re: firefox upgrade?

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > cher wrote:
    >
    >>Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> > If she is replacing 1.0.6, she should also delete the Program Folder.

    >>>Irwin

    >>What program folder, where? Good thing I'm not so novice that I run off
    >>and delete the program folder from explorer. ;-)

    > I don't use standard locations so I'm not sure, but it's either:
    >
    > C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Firefox
    > or
    > C:\Program Files\Firefox

    I believe its C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\

    --
    Time for a change

  11. Re: firefox upgrade?

    cher wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > > If she is replacing 1.0.6, she should also delete the Program Folder.
    >>
    >> Irwin

    > What program folder, where? Good thing I'm not so novice that I run off
    > and delete the program folder from explorer. ;-)

    Yes, that is what you do.
    Not the whole thing (all programs), just the Mozilla Firefox folder, of
    course.

  12. Re: firefox upgrade?

    cher wrote:
    > ken wrote:
    >> The latest version for Firefox is 1.5.0.1 and you can download it at
    >> www.mozilla.org/firefox . You will want to uninstall your current
    >> version (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs)(you will not lose your
    >> settings) and then install the new version.
    >>
    >> Also, the latest version of Thunderbird is 1.5. It can be downloaded
    >> from www.mozilla.org/thunderbird . As mentioned above, uninstall your
    >> current version and then install the new version.
    >>
    >> ken

    > Ouch... well, that's not what I was hoping to hear. What happens to my
    > settings, bookmarks, emails and the like in this sort of scenerio?

    Nothing at all. First FF doesn't have emails, that's Thunderbird.
    Second, these files are stored in another directory entirely, and are
    not bothered.

+ Reply to Thread