Can't upgrade/install 1.5.0.1 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Can't upgrade/install 1.5.0.1 - Mozilla ; I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, I am running this from an Administrator level login. I was using Firefox 1.5. I got the browser's notice of the upgrade available a couple days ago, but opted to not upgrade at the time ...

  1. Can't upgrade/install 1.5.0.1

    I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, I am running this from an Administrator level
    login. I was using Firefox 1.5. I got the browser's notice of the
    upgrade available a couple days ago, but opted to not upgrade at the
    time because it listed a couple extension I have installed as
    incompatible, one of which I use constantly (Googlebar). Today, I
    decided to search for an upgrade for it, and found one on Googlebar's
    home page, so I installed it, and restarted Firefox.

    I then manually told Firefox to check for an upgrade so I could check
    the 'incompatibility list, and Googlebar was no longer listed, so I
    told it to download and install the upgrade.

    It failed.

    It told me that the quick upgrade failed, and it would now download the
    full thing. It started to download, or at least it claimed it was, but
    there was no activity on my connection monitor. I clicked the 'pause'
    button and then the 'resume' button, and it then downloaded real fast,
    and installed.

    It failed.

    The error on restarting was that one or more files could not be
    updated, to make sure open programs are closed and that I have
    permission to modify files. So I closed my open programs and clicked
    the OK button, which re-started the "updating, please wait" dialog.
    Lather, rinse, repeat. I checked the system Task Manager, there was
    one Firefox process listed. End-tasking that closed the error box.

    It's Windows, so I rebooted. Same problem when trying to start
    Firefox.

    So I used MSIE to manually download 1.5.0.1 and installed from there.
    Now I get an error message near the end of the installation progress
    meter that a file is read-only. I didn't note down the full name of
    the file, but it looks like a language pack because it had the
    two-letter string 'EN' in it, in caps. Same thing trying to reinstall
    1.5 from my archive.

    Trying to merely start Firefox results in the "one or more files could
    not be updated..." dialog.

    HELP!

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #43. Likewise, if she doesn't
    already know, I shall train my True love in the art of armed combat, to
    the extent that her natural talents allow.

  2. Re: Can't upgrade/install 1.5.0.1

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, I am running this from an Administrator level
    > login. I was using Firefox 1.5. I got the browser's notice of the
    > upgrade available a couple days ago, but opted to not upgrade at the
    > time because it listed a couple extension I have installed as
    > incompatible, one of which I use constantly (Googlebar). Today, I
    > decided to search for an upgrade for it, and found one on Googlebar's
    > home page, so I installed it, and restarted Firefox.
    >
    > I then manually told Firefox to check for an upgrade so I could check
    > the 'incompatibility list, and Googlebar was no longer listed, so I
    > told it to download and install the upgrade.
    >
    > It failed.
    >
    > It told me that the quick upgrade failed, and it would now download the
    > full thing. It started to download, or at least it claimed it was, but
    > there was no activity on my connection monitor. I clicked the 'pause'
    > button and then the 'resume' button, and it then downloaded real fast,
    > and installed.
    >
    > It failed.
    >
    > The error on restarting was that one or more files could not be
    > updated, to make sure open programs are closed and that I have
    > permission to modify files. So I closed my open programs and clicked
    > the OK button, which re-started the "updating, please wait" dialog.
    > Lather, rinse, repeat. I checked the system Task Manager, there was
    > one Firefox process listed. End-tasking that closed the error box.
    >
    > It's Windows, so I rebooted. Same problem when trying to start
    > Firefox.
    >
    > So I used MSIE to manually download 1.5.0.1 and installed from there.
    > Now I get an error message near the end of the installation progress
    > meter that a file is read-only. I didn't note down the full name of
    > the file, but it looks like a language pack because it had the
    > two-letter string 'EN' in it, in caps. Same thing trying to reinstall
    > 1.5 from my archive.
    >
    > Trying to merely start Firefox results in the "one or more files could
    > not be updated..." dialog.
    >
    > HELP!

    Go to http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ to download FF 1.5.0.1.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  3. Re: Can't upgrade/install 1.5.0.1

    It is alleged that Irwin Greenwald claimed:

    > > So I used MSIE to manually download 1.5.0.1 and installed from there.
    > >

    > Go to http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ to download FF 1.5.0.1.

    Please re-read the body of my message.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #43. Likewise, if she doesn't
    already know, I shall train my True love in the art of armed combat, to
    the extent that her natural talents allow.

  4. Re: Can't upgrade/install 1.5.0.1

    _Jeffrey Kaplan_ spoke thusly on 03/02/2006 1:19 PM:
    > I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, I am running this from an Administrator level
    > login. I was using Firefox 1.5. I got the browser's notice of the
    > upgrade available a couple days ago, but opted to not upgrade at the
    > time because it listed a couple extension I have installed as
    > incompatible, one of which I use constantly (Googlebar). Today, I
    > decided to search for an upgrade for it, and found one on Googlebar's
    > home page, so I installed it, and restarted Firefox.
    >
    > I then manually told Firefox to check for an upgrade so I could check
    > the 'incompatibility list, and Googlebar was no longer listed, so I
    > told it to download and install the upgrade.
    >
    > It failed.
    >
    > It told me that the quick upgrade failed, and it would now download the
    > full thing. It started to download, or at least it claimed it was, but
    > there was no activity on my connection monitor. I clicked the 'pause'
    > button and then the 'resume' button, and it then downloaded real fast,
    > and installed.
    >
    > It failed.
    >
    > The error on restarting was that one or more files could not be
    > updated, to make sure open programs are closed and that I have
    > permission to modify files. So I closed my open programs and clicked
    > the OK button, which re-started the "updating, please wait" dialog.
    > Lather, rinse, repeat. I checked the system Task Manager, there was
    > one Firefox process listed. End-tasking that closed the error box.
    >
    > It's Windows, so I rebooted. Same problem when trying to start
    > Firefox.
    >
    > So I used MSIE to manually download 1.5.0.1 and installed from there.
    > Now I get an error message near the end of the installation progress
    > meter that a file is read-only. I didn't note down the full name of
    > the file, but it looks like a language pack because it had the
    > two-letter string 'EN' in it, in caps. Same thing trying to reinstall
    > 1.5 from my archive.
    >
    > Trying to merely start Firefox results in the "one or more files could
    > not be updated..." dialog.

    Close Firefox.
    In Windows Explorer, go to
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\updates\0\
    Clear the contents of that folder.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  5. Re: Can't upgrade/install 1.5.0.1

    It is alleged that Chris Ilias claimed:

    > Close Firefox.
    > In Windows Explorer, go to
    > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\updates\0\
    > Clear the contents of that folder.

    Thank you, I now have 1.5 back.

    What happened? I've never had any problems upgrading Firefox before,
    I've been using it since .91 or so.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #43. Likewise, if she doesn't
    already know, I shall train my True love in the art of armed combat, to
    the extent that her natural talents allow.

  6. Re: Can't upgrade/install 1.5.0.1

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, I am running this from an Administrator level
    > login. I was using Firefox 1.5. I got the browser's notice of the
    > upgrade available a couple days ago, but opted to not upgrade at the
    > time because it listed a couple extension I have installed as
    > incompatible, one of which I use constantly (Googlebar). Today, I
    > decided to search for an upgrade for it, and found one on Googlebar's
    > home page, so I installed it, and restarted Firefox.
    >
    > I then manually told Firefox to check for an upgrade so I could check
    > the 'incompatibility list, and Googlebar was no longer listed, so I
    > told it to download and install the upgrade.
    >
    > It failed.
    >
    > It told me that the quick upgrade failed, and it would now download the
    > full thing. It started to download, or at least it claimed it was, but
    > there was no activity on my connection monitor. I clicked the 'pause'
    > button and then the 'resume' button, and it then downloaded real fast,
    > and installed.
    >
    > It failed.
    >
    > The error on restarting was that one or more files could not be
    > updated, to make sure open programs are closed and that I have
    > permission to modify files. So I closed my open programs and clicked
    > the OK button, which re-started the "updating, please wait" dialog.
    > Lather, rinse, repeat. I checked the system Task Manager, there was
    > one Firefox process listed. End-tasking that closed the error box.
    >
    > It's Windows, so I rebooted. Same problem when trying to start
    > Firefox.
    >
    > So I used MSIE to manually download 1.5.0.1 and installed from there.
    > Now I get an error message near the end of the installation progress
    > meter that a file is read-only. I didn't note down the full name of
    > the file, but it looks like a language pack because it had the
    > two-letter string 'EN' in it, in caps. Same thing trying to reinstall
    > 1.5 from my archive.
    >
    > Trying to merely start Firefox results in the "one or more files could
    > not be updated..." dialog.
    >
    > HELP!

    just because a new version comes out, doesn't mean everyone should
    download and install it. For me, I use Mozilla Suite, and a new
    version has come out called Seamonkey. Well, a lot of extensions
    won't recognize this new update. So, I'm waiting about a month. By
    this time, all by extension should have been updated and it should be
    safe to install SM.

    The reason extension developers wait until the final release to update
    their extensions, is because sometimes at the last minute certain
    coding could be changed, that could render the extension usless. That
    way, when they wait, then they can figure out what to change.

    --
    Time for a change

  7. Re: Can't upgrade/install 1.5.0.1

    It is alleged that gwtc claimed:

    > just because a new version comes out, doesn't mean everyone should
    > download and install it. For me, I use Mozilla Suite, and a new

    Yeah, I know. I learned my lesson on that some time ago by Microsoft.
    But there are some programs and developers I trust and am willing to
    update as soon as a new version is available. And I was wasn't just
    jumping into this one. There are some fixes that are of interest to
    me, including the memory leak, a few crashes, and page scrolling when
    clicking on a link that is partially off the display.

    > version has come out called Seamonkey. Well, a lot of extensions
    > won't recognize this new update. So, I'm waiting about a month. By
    > this time, all by extension should have been updated and it should be
    > safe to install SM.

    I'm waiting for googlebar to be updated to work with it

    > The reason extension developers wait until the final release to update
    > their extensions, is because sometimes at the last minute certain
    > coding could be changed, that could render the extension usless. That
    > way, when they wait, then they can figure out what to change.

    For a lot of them, all that's needed is to update the version
    requirements in the resource document. Not all, I know, but I have
    used that trick in the past and at least for the ones I did that with,
    it worked.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Guidelines for Legion of Doom Troops: 10. Test your armor's ability to
    stop a minimum of one sword thrust or laser blast, and if it does not
    give at least this much protection, respectfully inquire after
    something better.

+ Reply to Thread