Desktop Shortcut for FF - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Desktop Shortcut for FF - Mozilla ; I use both IE6 and FF for work purposes and IE6 is the default browser. I'd like to make a desktop shortcut which opens the URL into FF but when I open FF and drag the link onto the desktop ...

  1. Desktop Shortcut for FF

    I use both IE6 and FF for work purposes and IE6 is the default browser. I'd
    like to make a desktop shortcut which opens the URL into FF but when I open
    FF and drag the link onto the desktop it defaults to an IE6 opening
    shortcut.

    How do I force a desktop shortcut to open a link in FF without making FF the
    default browser?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Desktop Shortcut for FF

    Nick wrote:
    > I use both IE6 and FF for work purposes and IE6 is the default browser. I'd
    > like to make a desktop shortcut which opens the URL into FF but when I open
    > FF and drag the link onto the desktop it defaults to an IE6 opening
    > shortcut.
    >
    > How do I force a desktop shortcut to open a link in FF without making FF the
    > default browser?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    As far as I know creating a shortcut on the desktop that just lists
    the URL will always open in your default browser.

    You could try creating a shortcut containing:

    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" Required_URL

    Or try one of the following:

    Create a shortcut to Firefox on your desktop, then drag and drop the
    URL shortcut onto it.

    Copy the shortcut for Firefox to your "Send To" Folder

    (Location will vary depending on OS
    Windows XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\SendTo)

    and then right mouse click on your URL desktop shortcut and select
    "Send to" "Firefox"

    Ian

  3. Re: Desktop Shortcut for FF

    Nick wrote:
    > I use both IE6 and FF for work purposes and IE6 is the default browser. I'd
    > like to make a desktop shortcut which opens the URL into FF but when I open
    > FF and drag the link onto the desktop it defaults to an IE6 opening
    > shortcut.
    >
    > How do I force a desktop shortcut to open a link in FF without making FF the
    > default browser?
    >
    > Thanks

    Regardless of you OS you can use Find to look for "Firefox.exe", right
    click on that and select "Create Shortcut". You will be asked if you want
    it created on the Desktop.

  4. Re: Desktop Shortcut for FF

    Hi Ian

    Thanks

    Your first suggestion did the trick.

    Well done!!

    Cheers
    Nick

    "Ian" wrote in message
    news:l46dnXDQ_uZao37enZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Nick wrote:
    >> I use both IE6 and FF for work purposes and IE6 is the default browser.
    >> I'd like to make a desktop shortcut which opens the URL into FF but when
    >> I open FF and drag the link onto the desktop it defaults to an IE6
    >> opening shortcut.
    >>
    >> How do I force a desktop shortcut to open a link in FF without making FF
    >> the default browser?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Hi,
    >
    > As far as I know creating a shortcut on the desktop that just lists the
    > URL will always open in your default browser.
    >
    > You could try creating a shortcut containing:
    >
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" Required_URL
    >
    > Or try one of the following:
    >
    > Create a shortcut to Firefox on your desktop, then drag and drop the URL
    > shortcut onto it.
    >
    > Copy the shortcut for Firefox to your "Send To" Folder
    >
    > (Location will vary depending on OS
    > Windows XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\SendTo)
    >
    > and then right mouse click on your URL desktop shortcut and select "Send
    > to" "Firefox"
    >
    > Ian

  5. Re: Desktop Shortcut for FF

    Nick wrote:
    > Hi Ian
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Your first suggestion did the trick.
    >
    > Well done!!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nick
    >
    > "Ian" wrote in message
    > news:l46dnXDQ_uZao37enZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Nick wrote:
    >>> I use both IE6 and FF for work purposes and IE6 is the default browser.
    >>> I'd like to make a desktop shortcut which opens the URL into FF but when
    >>> I open FF and drag the link onto the desktop it defaults to an IE6
    >>> opening shortcut.
    >>>
    >>> How do I force a desktop shortcut to open a link in FF without making FF
    >>> the default browser?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> As far as I know creating a shortcut on the desktop that just lists the
    >> URL will always open in your default browser.
    >>
    >> You could try creating a shortcut containing:
    >>
    >> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" Required_URL
    >>
    >> Or try one of the following:
    >>
    >> Create a shortcut to Firefox on your desktop, then drag and drop the URL
    >> shortcut onto it.
    >>
    >> Copy the shortcut for Firefox to your "Send To" Folder
    >>
    >> (Location will vary depending on OS
    >> Windows XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\SendTo)
    >>
    >> and then right mouse click on your URL desktop shortcut and select "Send
    >> to" "Firefox"
    >>
    >> Ian

    Alternatively, just drag the icon in the FireFox address bar to
    the desktop. Using the resultant icon will cause the URL to open
    in your default browser.

+ Reply to Thread