Can't type in Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Can't type in Firefox - Mozilla ; I find that after using Firefox for some time, it will no longer allow me to type into the search or other input areas. Usually, but not always, I can correct the problem by closing, then re-opening the Firefox window. ...

  1. Can't type in Firefox

    I find that after using Firefox for some time, it will no longer allow
    me to type into the search or other input areas. Usually, but not
    always, I can correct the problem by closing, then re-opening the
    Firefox window. This is with Firefox 1.5.0.1 under OS X (it also was
    happening with previous versions). Anyone else see this? Maybe an OS X
    problem?

    TIA

  2. Re: Can't type in Firefox

    Bob B. wrote:
    > I find that after using Firefox for some time, it will no longer allow
    > me to type into the search or other input areas. Usually, but not
    > always, I can correct the problem by closing, then re-opening the
    > Firefox window. This is with Firefox 1.5.0.1 under OS X (it also was
    > happening with previous versions). Anyone else see this? Maybe an OS X
    > problem?
    >
    > TIA.

    I'm not noticing it with 1.5.0.1 on OSX 10.3.9, or on 104.4. How long is
    "some time" approximately, and how much form field typing do you do?

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: Can't type in Firefox

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Bob B. wrote:
    >> I find that after using Firefox for some time, it will no longer allow
    >> me to type into the search or other input areas. Usually, but not
    >> always, I can correct the problem by closing, then re-opening the
    >> Firefox window. This is with Firefox 1.5.0.1 under OS X (it also was
    >> happening with previous versions). Anyone else see this? Maybe an OS X
    >> problem?
    >>
    >> TIA.

    > I'm not noticing it with 1.5.0.1 on OSX 10.3.9, or on 104.4. How long is
    > "some time" approximately, and how much form field typing do you do?

    Well, I can't say how long, I usually just leave Firefox running all the
    time, and it will just start happening. I don't do much form field
    typing at all, I mostly see it when typing into the search box, or
    sometimes, trying to enter a password. What happens is using a mouse, I
    can't get the cursor to appear in the text input area.

    It could be some weirdness that I am doing, not having focus on the
    right window or something, but I don't think so, because I don't see it
    with any other applications. I am now trying SeaMonkey to see if the
    same thing happens..

    > Lee

  4. Re: Can't type in Firefox

    Bob B. wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Bob B. wrote:

    /snip/

    ll, I can't say how long, I usually just leave Firefox running all the
    > time, and it will just start happening. I don't do much form field
    > typing at all, I mostly see it when typing into the search box, or
    > sometimes, trying to enter a password. What happens is using a mouse, I
    > can't get the cursor to appear in the text input area.
    >
    > It could be some weirdness that I am doing, not having focus on the
    > right window or something, but I don't think so, because I don't see it
    > with any other applications. I am now trying SeaMonkey to see if the
    > same thing happens..
    >

    >> Lee

    At work, with my laptop, I often leave FF running all the time, mostly
    ignored while I teach. It always seems to behave fine when I get back to
    it, OSX 10.4.4.

    Running SM right now, same machine, all is behaving normally.

    Sorry, since I can't reproduce your problem, I can't say much to help.

    Do you have other windows for apps open, in which you are working?

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  5. Re: Can't type in Firefox

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Bob B. wrote:
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>> Bob B. wrote:

    > /snip/
    >
    > ll, I can't say how long, I usually just leave Firefox running all the
    >> time, and it will just start happening. I don't do much form field
    >> typing at all, I mostly see it when typing into the search box, or
    >> sometimes, trying to enter a password. What happens is using a mouse,
    >> I can't get the cursor to appear in the text input area.
    >>
    >> It could be some weirdness that I am doing, not having focus on the
    >> right window or something, but I don't think so, because I don't see
    >> it with any other applications. I am now trying SeaMonkey to see if
    >> the same thing happens..
    >>

    >>> Lee
    >>>

    > At work, with my laptop, I often leave FF running all the time, mostly
    > ignored while I teach. It always seems to behave fine when I get back to
    > it, OSX 10.4.4.
    >
    > Running SM right now, same machine, all is behaving normally.
    >
    > Sorry, since I can't reproduce your problem, I can't say much to help.
    >
    > Do you have other windows for apps open, in which you are working?
    >
    > Lee

    Well, I was hoping that this was a 'known' or common problem, but
    evidently it isn't, which means that there is something funny going on
    with my side.. I will play around with it some more, and post again if I
    figure out what is going on.

  6. Re: Can't type in Firefox

    Bob B. wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Bob B. wrote:

    /snip/

    > Well, I was hoping that this was a 'known' or common problem, but
    > evidently it isn't, which means that there is something funny going on
    > with my side.. I will play around with it some more, and post again if I
    > figure out what is going on.

    Please do, anything that adds to our knowledge base helps up to help
    others. Good luck!

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  7. Re: Can't type in Firefox

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:07:45 -0800, Bob B. wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Bob B. wrote:

    >> /snip/
    >>
    >> ll, I can't say how long, I usually just leave Firefox running all the
    >>> time, and it will just start happening. I don't do much form field
    >>> typing at all, I mostly see it when typing into the search box, or
    >>> sometimes, trying to enter a password. What happens is using a mouse,
    >>> I can't get the cursor to appear in the text input area.
    >>>
    >>> It could be some weirdness that I am doing, not having focus on the
    >>> right window or something, but I don't think so, because I don't see
    >>> it with any other applications. I am now trying SeaMonkey to see if
    >>> the same thing happens..

    >> At work, with my laptop, I often leave FF running all the time, mostly
    >> ignored while I teach. It always seems to behave fine when I get back to
    >> it, OSX 10.4.4.
    >>
    >> Running SM right now, same machine, all is behaving normally.
    >>
    >> Sorry, since I can't reproduce your problem, I can't say much to help.
    >>
    >> Do you have other windows for apps open, in which you are working?
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > Well, I was hoping that this was a 'known' or common problem, but
    > evidently it isn't, which means that there is something funny going on
    > with my side.. I will play around with it some more, and post again if I
    > figure out what is going on.

    Just had it happen, for the first time in a very long time, at
    jetblue.com. Just upgraded to 1.5.1 an hour earlier. I opened the
    page in IE, worked fine there. Then I came back to FF, and it
    worked there too. I think a script might have been hung up,
    holding the page hostage.

    p.

    --
    Using FF 1.5 on Win XP sp2