remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar - Mozilla

This is a discussion on remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar - Mozilla ; I downloaded Foxfire 1.5.0.1 and tried to check it out, but there was only 1 url in the address bar. I just stopped and put it away. Error 1, I have 15-20 addresses in each of my other 5 browsers. ...

  1. remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    I downloaded Foxfire 1.5.0.1 and tried to check it out, but there was
    only 1 url in the address bar. I just stopped and put it away. Error 1,
    I have 15-20 addresses in each of my other 5 browsers. For some reason
    Foxfire will not keep previously visited sited in the dropdown menu of
    the addressbar. I don't plan on using Foxfire, and I haven't used it for
    the past year or so, because, I cannot remember where I've been the past
    year. No, there is nothing great about Foxfire.

  2. Re: remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    _Gary Waterbury_ spoke thusly on 02/02/2006 4:51 PM:
    > I downloaded Foxfire 1.5.0.1 and tried to check it out, but there was
    > only 1 url in the address bar. I just stopped and put it away. Error 1,
    > I have 15-20 addresses in each of my other 5 browsers. For some reason
    > Foxfire will not keep previously visited sited in the dropdown menu of
    > the addressbar. I don't plan on using Foxfire, and I haven't used it for
    > the past year or so, because, I cannot remember where I've been the past
    > year. No, there is nothing great about Foxfire.

    I don't quite understand what your problem is.
    If you don't want Firefox (not Foxfire) to store previously visited
    sites, go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History, and set it to zero.
    You can also set Firefox to automatically clear private data, every time
    you close it, by going to Tools -> Options -> Privacy, and click on
    "Settings" (near the bottom right). Check mark "Clear private data when
    closing Firefox", and above it, check mark the types of data you want
    cleared.

    If you don't want the location bar autocomplete to websites from your
    browser history, see:

    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    Gary Waterbury wrote:
    > I downloaded Foxfire 1.5.0.1 and tried to check it out, but there was
    > only 1 url in the address bar. I just stopped and put it away. Error 1,
    > I have 15-20 addresses in each of my other 5 browsers. For some reason
    > Foxfire will not keep previously visited sited in the dropdown menu of
    > the addressbar. I don't plan on using Foxfire, and I haven't used it for
    > the past year or so, because, I cannot remember where I've been the past
    > year. No, there is nothing great about Foxfire.

    You haven't used it in a year and you're concerned about where you
    visited a year ago? Why bother? Why would you expect a new version to
    remember what an old version didn't? Did you expect it to read YOUR
    mind? Why do you think ANYONE would care if you don't start using FF now
    when you haven't used it for a year? Ever hear of Bookmarks? If you want
    to go there again, bookmark it. Jeeze. You probably rewrote your
    history anyway.

  4. Re: remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    Fred wrote:
    > Gary Waterbury wrote:
    >
    >>I downloaded Foxfire 1.5.0.1 and tried to check it out, but there was
    >>only 1 url in the address bar. I just stopped and put it away. Error 1,
    >>I have 15-20 addresses in each of my other 5 browsers. For some reason
    >>Foxfire will not keep previously visited sited in the dropdown menu of
    >>the addressbar. I don't plan on using Foxfire, and I haven't used it for
    >>the past year or so, because, I cannot remember where I've been the past
    >>year. No, there is nothing great about Foxfire.

    > You haven't used it in a year and you're concerned about where you
    > visited a year ago? Why bother? Why would you expect a new version to
    > remember what an old version didn't? Did you expect it to read YOUR
    > mind? Why do you think ANYONE would care if you don't start using FF now
    > when you haven't used it for a year? Ever hear of Bookmarks? If you want
    > to go there again, bookmark it. Jeeze. You probably rewrote your
    > history anyway.

    I doubt that even IE remembers that long.

    --
    Time for a change

  5. Re: remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    gwtc wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    >> Gary Waterbury wrote:
    >>
    >>> I downloaded Foxfire 1.5.0.1 and tried to check it out, but there was
    >>> only 1 url in the address bar. I just stopped and put it away. Error
    >>> 1, I have 15-20 addresses in each of my other 5 browsers. For some
    >>> reason Foxfire will not keep previously visited sited in the dropdown
    >>> menu of the addressbar. I don't plan on using Foxfire, and I haven't
    >>> used it for the past year or so, because, I cannot remember where
    >>> I've been the past year. No, there is nothing great about Foxfire.

    >> You haven't used it in a year and you're concerned about where you
    >> visited a year ago? Why bother? Why would you expect a new version to
    >> remember what an old version didn't? Did you expect it to read YOUR
    >> mind? Why do you think ANYONE would care if you don't start using FF
    >> now when you haven't used it for a year? Ever hear of Bookmarks? If
    >> you want to go there again, bookmark it. Jeeze. You probably rewrote
    >> your history anyway.

    > I doubt that even IE remembers that long.

    I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

  6. Re: remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    Fred wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Fred wrote:

    >>> You haven't used it in a year and you're concerned about where you
    >>> visited a year ago? Why bother? Why would you expect a new version to
    >>> remember what an old version didn't? Did you expect it to read YOUR
    >>> mind? Why do you think ANYONE would care if you don't start using FF
    >>> now when you haven't used it for a year? Ever hear of Bookmarks? If
    >>> you want to go there again, bookmark it. Jeeze. You probably rewrote
    >>> your history anyway.

    >> I doubt that even IE remembers that long.
    >>

    > I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

    Ask your companion if you even had breakfast before trying to remember. :-P

  7. Re: remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    Fred wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Fred wrote:

    >>>You haven't used it in a year and you're concerned about where you
    >>>visited a year ago? Why bother? Why would you expect a new version to
    >>>remember what an old version didn't? Did you expect it to read YOUR
    >>>mind? Why do you think ANYONE would care if you don't start using FF
    >>>now when you haven't used it for a year? Ever hear of Bookmarks? If
    >>>you want to go there again, bookmark it. Jeeze. You probably rewrote
    >>>your history anyway.

    >>I doubt that even IE remembers that long.
    >>

    > I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

    Did You Remember?:

    --
    Time for a change

  8. Re: remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    Gary Waterbury wrote:
    > I downloaded Foxfire 1.5.0.1 and tried to check it out, but there was
    > only 1 url in the address bar. I just stopped and put it away. Error 1,
    > I have 15-20 addresses in each of my other 5 browsers. For some reason
    > Foxfire will not keep previously visited sited in the dropdown menu of
    > the addressbar. I don't plan on using Foxfire, and I haven't used it for
    > the past year or so, because, I cannot remember where I've been the past
    > year. No, there is nothing great about Foxfire.

    Gary,
    I suggest that you need to learn more about the program (and browsers
    in general), starting with the NAME OF THE PRODUCT (which is Firefox,
    NOT Foxfire). Firefox DOES keep the previously visited sites in the
    dropdown menu, but ONLY those you typed there. Make use of the 'Go'
    menu for other recently visited URLs. In short, just because it doesn't
    work like your old program, don't conclude that it doesn't have a
    feature. It might even be better!

  9. Re: remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    On the other hand ... http://www.foxfire.org/ ;-)
    --
    Arne

  10. Re: remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    _Arne Hamre_ spoke thusly on 03/02/2006 12:58 PM:
    > On the other hand ... http://www.foxfire.org/ ;-)

    Also note in the bottom-right corner:
    "If you are looking for the "Firefox" web broswer, you are at the wrong
    site.

    Please go to
    www.mozilla.org

    The Foxfire Fund, Inc. is neither affiliated with nor endorsing the
    Firefox web browser."

    They've had it there for a long time.
    See
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  11. Re: remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    I use the name 'Foxfire' because it is easier for me to speak.
    'Foxfire 1', and 'Foxfire 2' are military code expressions, in the movie
    Independence Day, in which nuclear tipped rockets are fired at invading
    space ships. People inside the invading space ship disabled the ships
    shields, and, only one guy has 2 nuclear rockets, that's all that's
    left. He fires one and the shield protects the aliens. Then the
    infiltrators lower the shield and the jet pilot fires Foxfire 2. And it
    totally destroys the spaceship.

    In the past, like I say, somebody tried to protect everybody from the
    police, fbi, and other authorities, from confiscating their computers
    and using the data in it to convict them. I am not afraid, and I do not
    want my previously visited site urls to be erased.

    I take Firefox as a nuclear tipped rocket directed at other browsers and
    websites. But, my expectations didn't pan out. So far, it IS
    remembering what I type in the address bar, but, I'm watching WHEN it
    will erase them, and I have to manually enter in long address's of where
    I want to go. For someone who has a lot of places to go, that's just
    unacceptable. The bookmarks are good, and the links file I have is good
    and the history file is good. It is now storing www.yahoo.com, or
    www.msnbe.com, but for how long I don't know. Anyway I don't feel
    fail-safe with it.

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Arne Hamre_ spoke thusly on 03/02/2006 12:58 PM:
    >> On the other hand ... http://www.foxfire.org/ ;-)

    > Also note in the bottom-right corner:
    > "If you are looking for the "Firefox" web broswer, you are at the wrong
    > site.
    >
    > Please go to
    > www.mozilla.org
    >
    > The Foxfire Fund, Inc. is neither affiliated with nor endorsing the
    > Firefox web browser."
    >
    > They've had it there for a long time.
    > See

  12. Re: remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    _Gary Waterbury_ spoke thusly on 04/02/2006 1:49 AM:
    > In the past, like I say, somebody tried to protect everybody from the
    > police, fbi, and other authorities, from confiscating their computers
    > and using the data in it to convict them. I am not afraid, and I do not
    > want my previously visited site urls to be erased.
    >
    > I take Firefox as a nuclear tipped rocket directed at other browsers and
    > websites. But, my expectations didn't pan out. So far, it IS
    > remembering what I type in the address bar, but, I'm watching WHEN it
    > will erase them, and I have to manually enter in long address's of where
    > I want to go. For someone who has a lot of places to go, that's just
    > unacceptable. The bookmarks are good, and the links file I have is good
    > and the history file is good. It is now storing www.yahoo.com, or
    > www.msnbe.com, but for how long I don't know. Anyway I don't feel
    > fail-safe with it.

    Please place your reply below the quoted text, when posting in here.
    Thanks. :-)

    I'm still not sure if I understand what you want, but from what I can
    tell, you don't want your browser history to expire. Just go to Tools ->
    Options -> Privacy -> History, and set the expiry to an extremely high
    number. I'm not sure if it can be set to infinity.

    The reason for history expiry has nothing to do with erasing evidence.
    If your history log gets very long, it may slow down the browser.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  13. Re: remembered urls in my Foxfire address bar

    Gary Waterbury wrote:
    > I use the name 'Foxfire' because it is easier for me to speak.
    > 'Foxfire 1', and 'Foxfire 2' are military code expressions, in the movie
    > Independence Day, in which nuclear tipped rockets are fired at invading
    > space ships. People inside the invading space ship disabled the ships
    > shields, and, only one guy has 2 nuclear rockets, that's all that's
    > left. He fires one and the shield protects the aliens. Then the
    > infiltrators lower the shield and the jet pilot fires Foxfire 2. And it
    > totally destroys the spaceship.
    >
    > In the past, like I say, somebody tried to protect everybody from the
    > police, fbi, and other authorities, from confiscating their computers
    > and using the data in it to convict them. I am not afraid, and I do not
    > want my previously visited site urls to be erased.
    >
    > I take Firefox as a nuclear tipped rocket directed at other browsers and
    > websites. But, my expectations didn't pan out. So far, it IS
    > remembering what I type in the address bar, but, I'm watching WHEN it
    > will erase them, and I have to manually enter in long address's of where
    > I want to go. For someone who has a lot of places to go, that's just
    > unacceptable. The bookmarks are good, and the links file I have is good
    > and the history file is good. It is now storing www.yahoo.com, or
    > www.msnbe.com, but for how long I don't know. Anyway I don't feel
    > fail-safe with it.
    >
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Arne Hamre_ spoke thusly on 03/02/2006 12:58 PM:
    >>> On the other hand ... http://www.foxfire.org/ ;-)

    >> Also note in the bottom-right corner:
    >> "If you are looking for the "Firefox" web broswer, you are at the wrong
    >> site.
    >>
    >> Please go to
    >> www.mozilla.org
    >>
    >> The Foxfire Fund, Inc. is neither affiliated with nor endorsing the
    >> Firefox web browser."
    >>
    >> They've had it there for a long time.
    >> See

    You can set it to discard this information, but the default is to keep
    it. On the other hand, this list is not intended for the purpose you
    are trying to make it fulfill. Use bookmarks, personal toolbar,
    history, or the Go menu for that purpose.

+ Reply to Thread