Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website - Mozilla ; I have portable Firefox on a key drive and that works fine. But on the computer itself, when clicking on any news media on the website below, Firefox simply closes with no warning. http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/u...i/bb_wm_fs.stm I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ...

  1. Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    I have portable Firefox on a key drive and that works fine. But on the
    computer itself, when clicking on any news media on the website below,
    Firefox simply closes with no warning.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/u...i/bb_wm_fs.stm

    I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times but it's just the
    same.

  2. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    John wrote:
    > I have portable Firefox on a key drive and that works fine. But on the
    > computer itself, when clicking on any news media on the website below,
    > Firefox simply closes with no warning.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/u...i/bb_wm_fs.stm
    >

    > I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times but it's just the
    > same.

    It's probably a plugin crashing and taking Firefox with it. Seems to be
    using Windows Media Player here on Win XP.

  3. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    Nick Thomas (cf) wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >> I have portable Firefox on a key drive and that works fine. But on the
    >> computer itself, when clicking on any news media on the website below,
    >> Firefox simply closes with no warning.
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/u...i/bb_wm_fs.stm
    >>

    >> I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times but it's just
    >> the same.

    > It's probably a plugin crashing and taking Firefox with it. Seems to be
    > using Windows Media Player here on Win XP.

    Hi,

    try reading the following websites:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...p?t=206213#wmp

    Kindest regards,

    Kim
    --
    The way is the destination.

  4. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    Nick Thomas (cf) wrote:

    > John wrote:
    >> I have portable Firefox on a key drive and that works fine. But on the
    >> computer itself, when clicking on any news media on the website below,
    >> Firefox simply closes with no warning.
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/u...i/bb_wm_fs.stm
    >>
    >> I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times but it's just the
    >> same.

    > It's probably a plugin crashing and taking Firefox with it. Seems to be
    > using Windows Media Player here on Win XP.

    On the linux 1.5 version it calls up a non-working player (gxine) and resizes
    the entire FF window to 'small', which I regard as extremely rude. All the
    tabs are still there, but the entire window is small.

    This makes me think less of the BBC. I thought much less of the Britannica
    when they started requiring IE to use it. What's happening to the Brits
    anyway? They used to be smart and courteous...

    Never argue with a woman holding a torque wrench.

  5. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Nick Thomas (cf) wrote:
    >
    >> John wrote:
    >>> I have portable Firefox on a key drive and that works fine. But on the
    >>> computer itself, when clicking on any news media on the website below,
    >>> Firefox simply closes with no warning.
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/u...i/bb_wm_fs.stm
    >>>
    >>> I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times but it's just the
    >>> same.

    >> It's probably a plugin crashing and taking Firefox with it. Seems to be
    >> using Windows Media Player here on Win XP.

    > On the linux 1.5 version it calls up a non-working player (gxine) and resizes
    > the entire FF window to 'small', which I regard as extremely rude. All the
    > tabs are still there, but the entire window is small.
    >
    > This makes me think less of the BBC. I thought much less of the Britannica
    > when they started requiring IE to use it. What's happening to the Brits
    > anyway? They used to be smart and courteous...

    We've been watching too much American TV! :-)

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email

  6. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    "Kim Brandt" wrote in message
    > Nick Thomas (cf) wrote:
    >> John wrote:
    >>> I have portable Firefox on a key drive and that works fine. But on the
    >>> computer itself, when clicking on any news media on the website below,
    >>> Firefox simply closes with no warning.
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/u...i/bb_wm_fs.stm
    >>>

    >>> I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times but it's just
    >>> the same.

    >> It's probably a plugin crashing and taking Firefox with it. Seems to be
    >> using Windows Media Player here on Win XP.

    > Hi,
    >
    > try reading the following websites:
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...p?t=206213#wmp
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=365156
    >

    > Kindest regards,
    >
    > Kim
    > --
    > The way is the destination.

    Thank's Kim and Nick, that's what it was. I changed it over to use Real
    Media and it works but the streaming on that is terrible from the BBC. So I
    moved the plugins folder to my desktop (so I can put it back if need be) and
    then copied the plugins folder from (portable) FireFox on my pen drive to
    Firefox on my hard drive, then changed it back to use Windows Media and it
    works.

    Thanks guys!

    John

  7. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    Bob Henson wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Nick Thomas (cf) wrote:

    >>> It's probably a plugin crashing and taking Firefox with it. Seems to be
    >>> using Windows Media Player here on Win XP.

    >> On the linux 1.5 version it calls up a non-working player (gxine) and resizes
    >> the entire FF window to 'small', which I regard as extremely rude. All the
    >> tabs are still there, but the entire window is small.
    >>
    >> This makes me think less of the BBC. I thought much less of the Britannica
    >> when they started requiring IE to use it. What's happening to the Brits
    >> anyway? They used to be smart and courteous...
    >>

    > We've been watching too much American TV! :-)
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob

    *ROTFL*! From a Canadian living in the U.S. I guess I had best watch
    out for not being courteous.

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org

    .. http://ilias.ca/mozilla/

    .. http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

  8. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    On 1/31/2006 1:28 PM Brian J. Graham ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth:

    > *ROTFL*! From a Canadian living in the U.S. I guess I had best watch
    > out for not being courteous.

    No worry, Brian. In your part of the U.S. courtesy is a given, or at
    least common; not so here in the Northeast.
    --
    Jim

    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
    -Napoleon Bonaparte

  9. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    The Real Bev wrote:

    >> On the linux 1.5 version it calls up a non-working player (gxine)
    >> and resizes the entire FF window to 'small', which I regard as
    >> extremely rude. All the tabs are still there, but the entire
    >> window is small.

    Do you have the Firefox JavaScript options set to allow resizing of windows?

    Options > Content > JavaScript > Advanced

    >> This makes me think less of the BBC. I thought much less of the
    >> Britannica when they started requiring IE to use it. What's
    >> happening to the Brits anyway? They used to be smart and
    >> courteous...

    The Encyclopędia Britannica hasn't been a Brit company for best part of
    a century but the all Poms I know are still smart and courteous.

    --
    /Eric/

  10. OT Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    On 31.01.2006 10:55, The Real Bev wrote:

    > What's happening to the Brits anyway? They used to be smart and
    > courteous...

    Too much influence from north of the Mason-Dixon line ... 8-)

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  11. Re: OT Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 31.01.2006 10:55, The Real Bev wrote:

    I feel a chorus of the Bonnie Blue Flag coming on!

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  12. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    Bob Henson wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Nick Thomas (cf) wrote:

    >>> It's probably a plugin crashing and taking Firefox with it. Seems to be
    >>> using Windows Media Player here on Win XP.

    >> On the linux 1.5 version it calls up a non-working player (gxine) and resizes
    >> the entire FF window to 'small', which I regard as extremely rude. All the
    >> tabs are still there, but the entire window is small.
    >>
    >> This makes me think less of the BBC. I thought much less of the Britannica
    >> when they started requiring IE to use it. What's happening to the Brits
    >> anyway? They used to be smart and courteous...

    > We've been watching too much American TV! :-)

    Well stop it! If I, a genuine American, can watch only Law&Order (the real
    one, not those spinoffs), The Simpsons, and the occasional PBS thing
    (frequently Brit), why can't you? Surely the land that brought us Monty
    Python can recover. Just because Charles is a twit doesn't mean that
    EVERYBODY has to be one. The Queen Mum must have been sorely tried...

    They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't
    we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys,
    it's worked for over 200 years, and we're not using it any more.

  13. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    Eric wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >>> On the linux 1.5 version it calls up a non-working player (gxine)
    >>> and resizes the entire FF window to 'small', which I regard as
    >>> extremely rude. All the tabs are still there, but the entire
    >>> window is small.

    > Do you have the Firefox JavaScript options set to allow resizing of windows?
    >
    > Options > Content > JavaScript > Advanced

    I had allowed it, but I just switched it. Still...

    >>> This makes me think less of the BBC. I thought much less of the
    >>> Britannica when they started requiring IE to use it. What's
    >>> happening to the Brits anyway? They used to be smart and
    >>> courteous...

    > The Encyclopędia Britannica hasn't been a Brit company for best part of
    > a century but the all Poms I know are still smart and courteous.

    AARRGGHH. So who actually does own it? If you tell me the Saudis I'm going
    to open a vein. Some day when you have nothing else to do, look up the
    history of the Britannica in the Britannica.

    0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o 0o0o0o0o0o0o0
    Judges are our only protection against a legal system that can
    afford lots more prosecution than we can afford defense.

  14. Re: OT Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    Jay Garcia wrote:

    > On 31.01.2006 10:55, The Real Bev wrote:

    Whew! Fortunately I'm a bit southwest!

    If you're ever about to be mugged by a couple
    of clowns, don't hesitate - go for the juggler.

  15. Re: OT Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 31.01.2006 10:55, The Real Bev wrote:
    >>
    >>> What's happening to the Brits anyway? They used to be smart and
    >>> courteous...

    >> Too much influence from north of the Mason-Dixon line ... 8-)

    > I feel a chorus of the Bonnie Blue Flag coming on!

    As god is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    "Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

  16. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Eric wrote:

    >>Do you have the Firefox JavaScript options set to allow resizing of windows?
    >>
    >>Options > Content > JavaScript > Advanced

    > I had allowed it, but I just switched it. Still...

    >>The Encyclopędia Britannica hasn't been a Brit company for best part of
    >>a century but the all Poms I know are still smart and courteous.

    > AARRGGHH. So who actually does own it? If you tell me the Saudis I'm going
    > to open a vein. Some day when you have nothing else to do, look up the
    > history of the Britannica in the Britannica.

    In January 1996, the Britannica was purchased by billionaire Swiss
    financier Jacob Safra.

    --
    Time for a change

  17. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    gwtc wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Eric wrote:

    >>>Do you have the Firefox JavaScript options set to allow resizing of windows?
    >>>
    >>>Options > Content > JavaScript > Advanced

    >> I had allowed it, but I just switched it. Still...

    >>>The Encyclopędia Britannica hasn't been a Brit company for best part of
    >>>a century but the all Poms I know are still smart and courteous.

    >> AARRGGHH. So who actually does own it? If you tell me the Saudis I'm going
    >> to open a vein. Some day when you have nothing else to do, look up the
    >> history of the Britannica in the Britannica.
    >>

    > In January 1996, the Britannica was purchased by billionaire Swiss
    > financier Jacob Safra.

    Sounds like a good guy, but he died in 1999. I tried using the website's
    'contact us' page asking if the CD/DVD could be used on a linux machine, but
    got a server error and the tab closed. Oh well...

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "The language of victimization is infinitely extensible." -- Me

  18. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    The Real Bev wrote

    > Bob Henson wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> On the linux 1.5 version it calls up a non-working player (gxine) and resizes
    >>> the entire FF window to 'small', which I regard as extremely rude. All the
    >>> tabs are still there, but the entire window is small.
    >>>
    >>> This makes me think less of the BBC. I thought much less of the Britannica
    >>> when they started requiring IE to use it. What's happening to the Brits
    >>> anyway? They used to be smart and courteous...

    >> We've been watching too much American TV! :-)

    > Well stop it! If I, a genuine American, can watch only Law&Order (the real
    > one, not those spinoffs), The Simpsons, and the occasional PBS thing
    > (frequently Brit), why can't you? Surely the land that brought us Monty
    > Python can recover. Just because Charles is a twit doesn't mean that
    > EVERYBODY has to be one. The Queen Mum must have been sorely tried...

    You've been watching the American programs again if you think HRH is a twit
    - he's quite a remarkable chap. The Press and TV only print inane rubbish,
    usually made up as they go along. When you talk to him you get a *very*
    different impression.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

  19. Re: Firefox closes when trying to view media on BBC website

    Bob Henson wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote
    >
    >> Bob Henson wrote:

    >>> We've been watching too much American TV! :-)

    >> Well stop it! If I, a genuine American, can watch only Law&Order (the real
    >> one, not those spinoffs), The Simpsons, and the occasional PBS thing
    >> (frequently Brit), why can't you? Surely the land that brought us Monty
    >> Python can recover. Just because Charles is a twit doesn't mean that
    >> EVERYBODY has to be one. The Queen Mum must have been sorely tried...

    SHE was a genuine hero.

    > You've been watching the American programs again if you think HRH is a twit
    > - he's quite a remarkable chap. The Press and TV only print inane rubbish,
    > usually made up as they go along. When you talk to him you get a *very*
    > different impression.

    Probably. The thing I saw was done several years ago, before Diana's death, I
    think. He was walking around a farm or some outdoorsy place and talking about
    how essential it is to keep the land from being destroyed. A positive thing,
    perfectly fine sentiments, good intentions, etc., but he was still a twit. I
    believe it's quite difficult to be royalty, but even so...

    It's true that Smokey the Bear deserves praise for his
    campaign against forest fires, but nobody ever mentions
    the boy scouts he kills for their hats.

+ Reply to Thread