Dead Bookmark Extension/Program - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Dead Bookmark Extension/Program - Mozilla ; Is there any Firefox extension or a program that can quickly go through your bookmarks and find and/or delete any dead links? My bookmarks file has gotten to the size where it just slightly hesitates now to load. I've manually ...

  1. Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    Is there any Firefox extension or a program that can quickly go through
    your bookmarks and find and/or delete any dead links? My bookmarks file
    has gotten to the size where it just slightly hesitates now to load.
    I've manually started to cull out dead links, but it would be nice if
    some program either deleted them automatically, or filtered them out
    into a list you could check and then delete. Thanks, John

  2. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    John Hale wrote in
    :

    > Is there any Firefox extension or a program that can quickly go
    > through your bookmarks and find and/or delete any dead links? My
    > bookmarks file has gotten to the size where it just slightly
    > hesitates now to load. I've manually started to cull out dead
    > links, but it would be nice if some program either deleted them
    > automatically, or filtered them out into a list you could check
    > and then delete. Thanks, John

    Check out AM-Deadlink.

  3. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    Got perl? http://www.jwz.org/hacks/check-links.pl

    --
    *Rinaldi*
    The idea is to die young as late as possible.

  4. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    John Hale wrote:
    > Is there any Firefox extension or a program that can quickly go through
    > your bookmarks and find and/or delete any dead links? My bookmarks file
    > has gotten to the size where it just slightly hesitates now to load.
    > I've manually started to cull out dead links, but it would be nice if
    > some program either deleted them automatically, or filtered them out
    > into a list you could check and then delete. Thanks, John

    Thanks for the tips, although I don't have Perl. I'll give AM-Deadlink
    a try.

  5. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    John Hale wrote:

    > Is there any Firefox extension or a program that can quickly go
    > through your bookmarks and find and/or delete any dead links?

    Netscape 4.7x

    --
    "The power of the Executive to cast a man into prison without
    formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to
    whether Nazi or Communist." -- W. Churchill, Nov 21, 1943

  6. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > John Hale wrote:
    >>
    >> Is there any Firefox extension or a program that can quickly go
    >> through your bookmarks and find and/or delete any dead links?

    > Netscape 4.7x

    Didn't it just mark the dead links and take a godawful amount of time to do
    even that? I think I did that once, and never again. I've found that perhaps
    half the dead links can be resurrected by backtracking and then hunting for
    the new location by hand.

    ---------------------------------
    aibohphobia - fear of palindromes

  7. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> John Hale wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Is there any Firefox extension or a program that can quickly go
    >>> through your bookmarks and find and/or delete any dead links?

    >> Netscape 4.7x

    > Didn't it just mark the dead links and take a godawful amount of
    > time to do even that? I think I did that once, and never again.
    > I've found that perhaps half the dead links can be resurrected
    > by backtracking and then hunting for the new location by hand.

    Please suggest a means of detecting link mortality other than
    attempting access and detecting a timeout?

    whether Nazi or Communist." -- W. Churchill, Nov 21, 1943

  8. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    On 1/31/2006 12:11 PM, CBFalconer wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote:
    >>> Netscape 4.7x

    >> Didn't it just mark the dead links and take a godawful amount of
    >> time to do even that? I think I did that once, and never again.
    >> I've found that perhaps half the dead links can be resurrected
    >> by backtracking and then hunting for the new location by hand.

    > Please suggest a means of detecting link mortality other than
    > attempting access and detecting a timeout?

    There is an older extension named Bookmarks LinkChecker. It hasn't been
    updated since 2004, but it does appear to work with 1.5. I tried it,
    but it did seem to take a long time. If you want to play with it, try
    at http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=14 or search
    Google for it.

  9. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    Dan Howard wrote:
    > On 1/31/2006 12:11 PM, CBFalconer wrote:
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> Didn't it just mark the dead links and take a godawful amount of
    >>> time to do even that? I think I did that once, and never again. I've
    >>> found that perhaps half the dead links can be resurrected
    >>> by backtracking and then hunting for the new location by hand.

    >> Please suggest a means of detecting link mortality other than
    >> attempting access and detecting a timeout?

    > There is an older extension named Bookmarks LinkChecker. It hasn't been
    > updated since 2004, but it does appear to work with 1.5. I tried it,
    > but it did seem to take a long time. If you want to play with it, try
    > at http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=14 or search
    > Google for it.

    After downloading and installing, check for an update.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  10. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    On 2/1/2006 2:18 PM, Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Dan Howard wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Please suggest a means of detecting link mortality other than
    >>> attempting access and detecting a timeout?

    >> There is an older extension named Bookmarks LinkChecker. It hasn't
    >> been updated since 2004, but it does appear to work with 1.5. I tried
    >> it, but it did seem to take a long time. If you want to play with it,
    >> try at http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=14 or search
    >> Google for it.

    > After downloading and installing, check for an update.
    >
    > Irwin

    I'm using version 0.6.8.2, and no updates show up. Do you know of a
    newer version?

  11. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    T-bird Leader Dan Howard radioed the tower , on :

    > On 2/1/2006 2:18 PM, Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >
    >> Dan Howard wrote:

    >>> There is an older extension named Bookmarks LinkChecker. It hasn't
    >>> been updated since 2004, but it does appear to work with 1.5. I
    >>> tried it, but it did seem to take a long time. If you want to play
    >>> with it, try at http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=14
    >>> or search Google for it.

    >> After downloading and installing, check for an update.
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > I'm using version 0.6.8.2, and no updates show up. Do you know of a
    > newer version?

    Google for an app named AMDeadlink. It is slow on a dial up, though it
    should be able to run in the background.

    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

  12. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    Dan Howard wrote:
    > On 2/1/2006 2:18 PM, Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Dan Howard wrote:

    >>> There is an older extension named Bookmarks LinkChecker. It hasn't
    >>> been updated since 2004, but it does appear to work with 1.5. I
    >>> tried it, but it did seem to take a long time. If you want to play
    >>> with it, try at http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=14
    >>> or search Google for it.

    >> After downloading and installing, check for an update.
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > I'm using version 0.6.8.2, and no updates show up. Do you know of a
    > newer version?

    That's the latest.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  13. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote:

    >>> Netscape 4.7x

    >> Didn't it just mark the dead links and take a godawful amount of
    >> time to do even that? I think I did that once, and never again.
    >> I've found that perhaps half the dead links can be resurrected
    >> by backtracking and then hunting for the new location by hand.

    > Please suggest a means of detecting link mortality other than
    > attempting access and detecting a timeout?

    Magic.

    Hey, my life would be a LOT better if I were a programmer. Perhaps it did it
    sequentially -- Try, wait 3 minutes, mark dead... Try, wait 3 minutes, mark
    dead... Try... Better would be to let it make as many connections as possible
    -- maybe do it overnight or something.

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    "Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

  14. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Didn't it just mark the dead links and take a godawful amount of
    >>> time to do even that? I think I did that once, and never again.
    >>> I've found that perhaps half the dead links can be resurrected
    >>> by backtracking and then hunting for the new location by hand.

    >> Please suggest a means of detecting link mortality other than
    >> attempting access and detecting a timeout?

    > Magic.
    >
    > Hey, my life would be a LOT better if I were a programmer. Perhaps it did it
    > sequentially -- Try, wait 3 minutes, mark dead... Try, wait 3 minutes, mark
    > dead... Try... Better would be to let it make as many connections as possible
    > -- maybe do it overnight or something.

    Did you miss my link to jwz's perl script?

    --
    *Rinaldi*
    I have a simple philosophy:

    Fill what's empty.
    Empty what's full.
    Scratch where it itches.
    -- A. R. Longworth

  15. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote:

    >>> Please suggest a means of detecting link mortality other than
    >>> attempting access and detecting a timeout?

    >> Magic.
    >>
    >> Hey, my life would be a LOT better if I were a programmer. Perhaps it did it
    >> sequentially -- Try, wait 3 minutes, mark dead... Try, wait 3 minutes, mark
    >> dead... Try... Better would be to let it make as many connections as possible
    >> -- maybe do it overnight or something.

    > Did you miss my link to jwz's perl script?

    Nope, I saw it and I saved it. I'm just afraid of it :-) Reassure me and
    I'll give it a shot.

  16. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    The Real Bev wrote in
    :

    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    >> Did you miss my link to jwz's perl script?

    > Nope, I saw it and I saved it. I'm just afraid of it :-)
    > Reassure me and I'll give it a shot.

    jwz hasn't done anything bad since that mail/news thing he came up
    with in the 90s.

    Seriously, I think you can trust the script. It doesn't modify the
    bookmarks, so it can't hurt anything. Here's his description of it:

    "I guess everybody has written their own version of this; well, here's
    mine. This script checks for dead and/or moved links in the given HTML
    files. It parses the HREFs out of the HTML, then does a GET on each of
    them (not a HEAD, because that doesn't work with all sites) and prints
    out a list of URLs that were not retrievable, or that redirected to
    elsewhere."

  17. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Magic.
    >>>
    >>> Hey, my life would be a LOT better if I were a programmer. Perhaps it did it
    >>> sequentially -- Try, wait 3 minutes, mark dead... Try, wait 3 minutes, mark
    >>> dead... Try... Better would be to let it make as many connections as possible
    >>> -- maybe do it overnight or something.

    >> Did you miss my link to jwz's perl script?

    > Nope, I saw it and I saved it. I'm just afraid of it :-) Reassure me and
    > I'll give it a shot.

    ../check-links.pl bookmarks.html > results.html

    Depending on where the script is you may have to add the paths.

    You'll get a nicely formatted html file from which you can quickly tell
    which links are dead. Https links are not checked. I think the default
    timeout is 10 seconds per link.

    As with everything Jamie writes the script is a fun read :-)

    --
    *Rinaldi*
    I have a simple philosophy:

    Fill what's empty.
    Empty what's full.
    Scratch where it itches.
    -- A. R. Longworth

  18. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    Q wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    >>> Did you miss my link to jwz's perl script?

    >> Nope, I saw it and I saved it. I'm just afraid of it :-)
    >> Reassure me and I'll give it a shot.

    > jwz hasn't done anything bad since that mail/news thing he came up
    > with in the 90s.

    Yeah, but he has anti-root prejudices. Rightly so, probably, but still...
    Nice hair, though.

    > Seriously, I think you can trust the script. It doesn't modify the
    > bookmarks, so it can't hurt anything. Here's his description of it:
    >
    > "I guess everybody has written their own version of this; well, here's
    > mine. This script checks for dead and/or moved links in the given HTML
    > files. It parses the HREFs out of the HTML, then does a GET on each of
    > them (not a HEAD, because that doesn't work with all sites) and prints
    > out a list of URLs that were not retrievable, or that redirected to
    > elsewhere."

    OK, I'll give it a shot and report back.

    I don't suppose you'd like to port that nice goldfish/aquarium screensaver to
    linux, would you?

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    It's true that Smokey the Bear deserves praise for his
    campaign against forest fires, but nobody ever mentions
    the boy scouts he kills for their hats.

  19. Re: Dead Bookmark Extension/Program

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Q wrote:
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Nope, I saw it and I saved it. I'm just afraid of it :-)
    >>> Reassure me and I'll give it a shot.

    >> jwz hasn't done anything bad since that mail/news thing he came up
    >> with in the 90s.

    > Yeah, but he has anti-root prejudices. Rightly so, probably, but still...
    > Nice hair, though.
    >
    >> Seriously, I think you can trust the script. It doesn't modify the
    >> bookmarks, so it can't hurt anything. Here's his description of it:
    >>
    >> "I guess everybody has written their own version of this; well, here's
    >> mine. This script checks for dead and/or moved links in the given HTML
    >> files. It parses the HREFs out of the HTML, then does a GET on each of
    >> them (not a HEAD, because that doesn't work with all sites) and prints
    >> out a list of URLs that were not retrievable, or that redirected to
    >> elsewhere."

    > OK, I'll give it a shot and report back.
    >
    > I don't suppose you'd like to port that nice goldfish/aquarium screensaver to
    > linux, would you?

    OK, it gave me a nice list. Thanks, Jamie et al. Now all I have to do is
    check each dead link for possible renaming... Can't just delete them, can we?
    I've rebuild about half ot eh dead ones so far and I'm only about 5% done.
    Oh well, it keeps me out of trouble...

    "America is at an awkward stage: it is too late to work within the
    system, but it is too early to shoot the bastards." -Claire Wolfe

+ Reply to Thread