Do FF Extensions affect IE? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Do FF Extensions affect IE? - Mozilla ; This is just by way of interest. I don't really know if there is a connection but after installing and successfully configuring NoScript for FF1.5, I found that now some links don't work in IE. For example this works: www.nytimes.com ...

  1. Do FF Extensions affect IE?

    This is just by way of interest. I don't really know if there is a
    connection but after installing and successfully configuring NoScript for
    FF1.5, I found that now some links don't work in IE.

    For example this works: www.nytimes.com

    But this, a link from within the page above, doesn't:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/sc...ce/24prof.html

    The above are just a couple of examples of IE behavior recently. The only
    software change has been the addition of NoScript to FF. And it was making
    me wonder if there was some correlation.

    BTW, FF handles all sites/pages perfectly, even the ones like above, that
    pose problems in IE. My web-browsing calls for the use of both browsers and
    I need them working efficiently.

    Just to make sure, this post is also being submitted to the appropriate
    Microsoft IE newsgroup.

    Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.

    Andromedan

  2. Re: Do FF Extensions affect IE?

    On 1/24/2006 7:50 AM On a whim, Andromedan pounded out on the keyboard

    > This is just by way of interest. I don't really know if there is a
    > connection but after installing and successfully configuring NoScript for
    > FF1.5, I found that now some links don't work in IE.
    >
    > For example this works: www.nytimes.com
    >
    > But this, a link from within the page above, doesn't:
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/sc...ce/24prof.html
    >
    > The above are just a couple of examples of IE behavior recently. The only
    > software change has been the addition of NoScript to FF. And it was making
    > me wonder if there was some correlation.
    >
    > BTW, FF handles all sites/pages perfectly, even the ones like above, that
    > pose problems in IE. My web-browsing calls for the use of both browsers and
    > I need them working efficiently.
    >
    > Just to make sure, this post is also being submitted to the appropriate
    > Microsoft IE newsgroup.
    >
    > Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.
    >
    > Andromedan

    Have you tried disabling or uninstalling the extension to be sure?

    --
    Terry

  3. Re: Do FF Extensions affect IE?

    Andromedan wrote:

    > This is just by way of interest. I don't really know if there is a
    > connection but after installing and successfully configuring NoScript for
    > FF1.5, I found that now some links don't work in IE.
    >
    > For example this works: www.nytimes.com
    >
    > But this, a link from within the page above, doesn't:
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/sc...ce/24prof.html
    >
    > The above are just a couple of examples of IE behavior recently. The only
    > software change has been the addition of NoScript to FF. And it was making
    > me wonder if there was some correlation.
    >
    > BTW, FF handles all sites/pages perfectly, even the ones like above, that
    > pose problems in IE. My web-browsing calls for the use of both browsers and
    > I need them working efficiently.
    >
    > Just to make sure, this post is also being submitted to the appropriate
    > Microsoft IE newsgroup.
    >
    > Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.
    >
    > Andromedan

    I don't have an answer, but I do have a tip. Would you put the Live
    long and prosper bit into a sig file? This way, when someone replies,
    that sig file and stuff will be stripped out.

    --
    Time for a change

  4. Re: Do FF Extensions affect IE?

    That's a very relevant suggestion - however the disable option is greyed out
    for NoScript.

    I am on my way to work right now and will be uninstalling the extension as
    soon as I can after returning.

    Maybe I need to reset the settings to what they were before uninstalling, I
    wonder.

    Or maybe, I shall not disable or uninstall anything, but simply revert the
    computer to an image made before this extension was installed. I can always
    come back to the current point later because I will make a new image before
    the restore (takes just a few minutes on Acronis).

    Regards and thanks again.

    ------------------

    "Terry" wrote in message
    news:gqudncXfG_sSzUvenZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 1/24/2006 7:50 AM On a whim, Andromedan pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> This is just by way of interest. I don't really know if there is a
    >> connection but after installing and successfully configuring NoScript for
    >> FF1.5, I found that now some links don't work in IE.
    >>
    >> For example this works: www.nytimes.com
    >>
    >> But this, a link from within the page above, doesn't:
    >>
    >> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/sc...ce/24prof.html
    >>
    >> The above are just a couple of examples of IE behavior recently. The only
    >> software change has been the addition of NoScript to FF. And it was
    >> making
    >> me wonder if there was some correlation.
    >>
    >> BTW, FF handles all sites/pages perfectly, even the ones like above, that
    >> pose problems in IE. My web-browsing calls for the use of both browsers
    >> and
    >> I need them working efficiently.
    >>
    >> Just to make sure, this post is also being submitted to the appropriate
    >> Microsoft IE newsgroup.
    >>
    >> Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.
    >>
    >> Andromedan
    >>

    > Have you tried disabling or uninstalling the extension to be sure?
    >

    > --
    > Terry

  5. Re: Do FF Extensions affect IE?

    On 01/24/06 10:50, Andromedan wrote:
    > This is just by way of interest. I don't really know if there is a
    > connection but after installing and successfully configuring NoScript for
    > FF1.5, I found that now some links don't work in IE.
    >
    > For example this works: www.nytimes.com
    >
    > But this, a link from within the page above, doesn't:
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/sc...ce/24prof.html
    >
    > The above are just a couple of examples of IE behavior recently. The only
    > software change has been the addition of NoScript to FF. And it was making
    > me wonder if there was some correlation.
    >
    > BTW, FF handles all sites/pages perfectly, even the ones like above, that
    > pose problems in IE. My web-browsing calls for the use of both browsers and
    > I need them working efficiently.
    >
    > Just to make sure, this post is also being submitted to the appropriate
    > Microsoft IE newsgroup.

    Well, a Firefox extension could affect IE if it wanted to. Extensions
    have the full power of the user running them, so if you're the super
    user (bad you!), the extension could do whatever it wanted to. I don't
    believe Firefox restricts them at all.
    --
    Yay!

  6. Re: Do FF Extensions affect IE?

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    > On 01/24/06 10:50, Andromedan wrote:
    >
    >>This is just by way of interest. I don't really know if there is a
    >>connection but after installing and successfully configuring NoScript for
    >>FF1.5, I found that now some links don't work in IE.
    >>
    >>For example this works: www.nytimes.com
    >>
    >>But this, a link from within the page above, doesn't:
    >>
    >>http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/sc...ce/24prof.html
    >>
    >>The above are just a couple of examples of IE behavior recently. The only
    >>software change has been the addition of NoScript to FF. And it was making
    >>me wonder if there was some correlation.
    >>
    >>BTW, FF handles all sites/pages perfectly, even the ones like above, that
    >>pose problems in IE. My web-browsing calls for the use of both browsers and
    >>I need them working efficiently.
    >>
    >>Just to make sure, this post is also being submitted to the appropriate
    >>Microsoft IE newsgroup.

    > Well, a Firefox extension could affect IE if it wanted to. Extensions
    > have the full power of the user running them, so if you're the super
    > user (bad you!), the extension could do whatever it wanted to. I don't
    > believe Firefox restricts them at all.

    OK, that being said, then there's Launchy, IE View , IE Tabs, and
    thats about all I can figure out

    --
    Time for a change

  7. Update - Do FF Extensions affect IE?

    This computer was restored to an image prior to when two extensions were
    installed: NoScript and Configuration Mania. Prior to the restore, I found,
    within extension manager, that these two had all options on the context menu
    dimmed, unlike other extensions installed in FF. Cannot figure out why. No
    errors seen at install time. And both were working - I was able to configure
    them.

    After the restore, I reinstalled the same extensions and now the context
    menu items are not dimmed out! Also, IE works with no problems.

    Based on the odd IE behavior and the dimmed context menus, I can neither
    figure what went wrong where, nor what the connection was. But I am letting
    it go for now - I am glad both my browsers are working efficiently they way
    they were so painstakingly configured to do so!

    "Andromedan" wrote in message
    > This is just by way of interest. I don't really know if there is a
    > connection but after installing and successfully configuring NoScript for
    > FF1.5, I found that now some links don't work in IE.
    >
    > For example this works: www.nytimes.com
    >
    > But this, a link from within the page above, doesn't:
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/sc...ce/24prof.html
    >
    > The above are just a couple of examples of IE behavior recently. The only
    > software change has been the addition of NoScript to FF. And it was making
    > me wonder if there was some correlation.
    >
    > BTW, FF handles all sites/pages perfectly, even the ones like above, that
    > pose problems in IE. My web-browsing calls for the use of both browsers
    > and
    > I need them working efficiently.
    >
    > Just to make sure, this post is also being submitted to the appropriate
    > Microsoft IE newsgroup.
    >
    > Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.
    >
    > Andromedan

  8. Thanks for the helpful responses

    I really appreciate the responses to this post (as well as others before). I
    sure feel good that there is this wonderful community of people helping
    others with technical suggestions for a product that might be free but does
    come with a lot of selfless and dedicated commitment involved.

    Thanks everybody!

    Andromedan
    ------------------

    "Andromedan" wrote in message
    > This is just by way of interest. I don't really know if there is a
    > connection but after installing and successfully configuring NoScript for
    > FF1.5, I found that now some links don't work in IE.
    >
    > For example this works: www.nytimes.com
    >
    > But this, a link from within the page above, doesn't:
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/sc...ce/24prof.html
    >
    > The above are just a couple of examples of IE behavior recently. The only
    > software change has been the addition of NoScript to FF. And it was making
    > me wonder if there was some correlation.
    >
    > BTW, FF handles all sites/pages perfectly, even the ones like above, that
    > pose problems in IE. My web-browsing calls for the use of both browsers
    > and
    > I need them working efficiently.
    >
    > Just to make sure, this post is also being submitted to the appropriate
    > Microsoft IE newsgroup.
    >
    > Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.
    >
    > Andromedan

+ Reply to Thread