Printer options not persisted - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Printer options not persisted - Mozilla ; If I change my printer options in Firefox via the Print dialog (such as switching to draft quality or using black cartridge only), they are reset to Windows defaults the next time I try to print something (in the same ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Printer options not persisted

    If I change my printer options in Firefox via the Print dialog (such as
    switching to draft quality or using black cartridge only), they are
    reset to Windows defaults the next time I try to print something (in the
    same browser session).
    Is this a bug? If so, has it already been reported? I would appreciate
    your help.
    --
    Eduardo Dobay

  2. Re: Printer options not persisted

    On 1/21/2006 12:47 PM On a whim, Eduardo Dobay pounded out on the keyboard

    > If I change my printer options in Firefox via the Print dialog (such as
    > switching to draft quality or using black cartridge only), they are
    > reset to Windows defaults the next time I try to print something (in the
    > same browser session).
    > Is this a bug? If so, has it already been reported? I would appreciate
    > your help.
    > --
    > Eduardo Dobay

    Hi Eduardo,

    I'm using FF 1.5 and I can't reproduce that here. If I change a printer
    that is different from the default, as long as FF remains open that
    setting is used. (Actually even when I close FF and re-open my last
    change sticks and it's different from the Windows default! It's NOT
    supposed to do that either.)

    --
    Terry

  3. Re: Printer options not persisted

    Eduardo Dobay wrote:
    > If I change my printer options in Firefox via the Print dialog (such as
    > switching to draft quality or using black cartridge only), they are
    > reset to Windows defaults the next time I try to print something (in the
    > same browser session).
    > Is this a bug? If so, has it already been reported? I would appreciate
    > your help.
    > --
    > Eduardo Dobay

    Hi Eduardo, I have the same thing. Indeed it's been like that in every
    version of Firefox that I've used. It doesn't make any difference
    whether I use "Print" or "Print Preview".

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  4. Re: Printer options not persisted

    On 1/21/2006 7:47 PM On a whim, Barbara pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 1/21/2006 4:40 PM Pacific Time, SteveG wrote thusly:
    >> Eduardo Dobay wrote:
    >>> If I change my printer options in Firefox via the Print dialog (such
    >>> as switching to draft quality or using black cartridge only), they are
    >>> reset to Windows defaults the next time I try to print something (in
    >>> the same browser session).
    >>> Is this a bug? If so, has it already been reported? I would appreciate
    >>> your help.
    >>> --
    >>> Eduardo Dobay

    >> Hi Eduardo, I have the same thing. Indeed it's been like that in every
    >> version of Firefox that I've used. It doesn't make any difference
    >> whether I use "Print" or "Print Preview".
    >>

    > My version of FF 1.5 keeps the different printer every time I try to
    > print in the same session, and it keeps it after FF is closed and
    > re-opened. I like that! I didn't try changing the quality or
    > cartridge options.
    > I have Windows XP home edition and Thunderbird 1.5 as my default mail.
    >
    > Barbara

    That is exactly how I described the way mine functions also Barbara.

    --
    Terry

  5. Re: Printer options not persisted

    On 1/22/2006 1:27 AM Terry ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth:
    > On 1/21/2006 7:47 PM On a whim, Barbara pounded out on the keyboard

    >>> Hi Eduardo, I have the same thing. Indeed it's been like that in
    >>> every version of Firefox that I've used. It doesn't make any
    >>> difference whether I use "Print" or "Print Preview".
    >>>

    >> My version of FF 1.5 keeps the different printer every time I try to
    >> print in the same session, and it keeps it after FF is closed and
    >> re-opened. I like that! I didn't try changing the quality or
    >> cartridge options.
    >> I have Windows XP home edition and Thunderbird 1.5 as my default mail.
    >>
    >> Barbara

    > That is exactly how I described the way mine functions also Barbara.

    That is the way it should work. Printer options set in other software--
    browser, word processor, image editor, etc.-- is set for that print job
    only. Print optios set in the actual printer software are the defaults.

    --
    Jim

    "Come not within the measure of my wrath."
    -William Shakespeare

  6. Re: Printer options not persisted

    On 1/22/2006 4:11 AM On a whim, MushMorton pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 1/22/2006 1:27 AM Terry ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth:

    >>> My version of FF 1.5 keeps the different printer every time I try to
    >>> print in the same session, and it keeps it after FF is closed and
    >>> re-opened. I like that! I didn't try changing the quality or
    >>> cartridge options.
    >>> I have Windows XP home edition and Thunderbird 1.5 as my default mail.
    >>>
    >>> Barbara

    >> That is exactly how I described the way mine functions also Barbara.
    >>

    > That is the way it should work. Printer options set in other software--
    > browser, word processor, image editor, etc.-- is set for that print job
    > only. Print optios set in the actual printer software are the defaults.

    I think you misunderstood Jim. The Windows default printer in all the
    software I own is always the one brought up when printing from an app,
    upon first launch. If I change the printer, it usually only lasts until
    I close the program, then the Windows default printer will again be
    selected on next launch (of course there are a few programs that allow
    that to be changed). FF used to use the default printer on first
    launch. But now it remembers the last printer I used from the last
    session. Something most programs don't do.

    I'm not changing any printer settings, just selecting a different printer.

    --
    Terry

  7. Re: Printer options not persisted

    "Eduardo Dobay" wrote in message
    > If I change my printer options in Firefox via the Print dialog (such as
    > switching to draft quality or using black cartridge only), they are reset
    > to Windows defaults the next time I try to print something (in the same
    > browser session).
    > Is this a bug? If so, has it already been reported? I would appreciate
    > your help.
    > --
    > Eduardo Dobay

    AFAIK, It would be a bug if the printer options in FF (or any other
    application) *were* to persist.

    To change printer options, close all applications, open Control Panel, then
    Printers & Faxes.

    Right click on the printer whose settings you want to change, and select
    Printing Preferences from the context menu. Do the settings the way you want
    them to be and click Apply/OK.

    :-)

    Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.

    Andromedan
    ------------------

  8. Re: Printer options not persisted

    On 1/22/2006 12:02 PM Terry ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth:
    > On 1/22/2006 4:11 AM On a whim, MushMorton pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> On 1/22/2006 1:27 AM Terry ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth:
    >>> On 1/21/2006 7:47 PM On a whim, Barbara pounded out on the keyboard

    >>> That is exactly how I described the way mine functions also Barbara.
    >>>

    >> That is the way it should work. Printer options set in other software--
    >> browser, word processor, image editor, etc.-- is set for that print job
    >> only. Print optios set in the actual printer software are the defaults.
    >>

    > I think you misunderstood Jim. The Windows default printer in all the
    > software I own is always the one brought up when printing from an app,
    > upon first launch. If I change the printer, it usually only lasts until
    > I close the program, then the Windows default printer will again be
    > selected on next launch (of course there are a few programs that allow
    > that to be changed). FF used to use the default printer on first
    > launch. But now it remembers the last printer I used from the last
    > session. Something most programs don't do.
    >
    > I'm not changing any printer settings, just selecting a different printer.

    Maybe I am confused, I thought the OP's original question referred to
    changing the printer settings, not the printer itself.

    --
    Jim

    "There is no such thing as an underestimate of average intelligence."
    -Henry Adams

  9. Re: Printer options not persisted

    On 1/22/2006 10:28 AM On a whim, MushMorton pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 1/22/2006 12:02 PM Terry ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth:
    >> On 1/22/2006 4:11 AM On a whim, MushMorton pounded out on the keyboard
    >>
    >>> On 1/22/2006 1:27 AM Terry ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth:

    >>> That is the way it should work. Printer options set in other software--
    >>> browser, word processor, image editor, etc.-- is set for that print job
    >>> only. Print optios set in the actual printer software are the defaults.
    >>>

    >> I think you misunderstood Jim. The Windows default printer in all the
    >> software I own is always the one brought up when printing from an app,
    >> upon first launch. If I change the printer, it usually only lasts until
    >> I close the program, then the Windows default printer will again be
    >> selected on next launch (of course there are a few programs that allow
    >> that to be changed). FF used to use the default printer on first
    >> launch. But now it remembers the last printer I used from the last
    >> session. Something most programs don't do.
    >>
    >> I'm not changing any printer settings, just selecting a different printer.
    >>

    > Maybe I am confused, I thought the OP's original question referred to
    > changing the printer settings, not the printer itself.

    I thought it was the same either way. I just went and adjusted printer
    settings, printed, went to print again and the settings are still the
    same as my last print job. So it doesn't matter what is changed in the
    Printer Dialog, the settings are retained, at least on my system. The OP
    stated his were returning to default even within the same session,
    something I cannot reproduce.

    --
    Terry

  10. Re: Printer options not persisted

    Barbara wrote:
    > On 1/21/2006 4:40 PM Pacific Time, SteveG wrote thusly:
    >> Eduardo Dobay wrote:
    >>> If I change my printer options in Firefox via the Print dialog (such
    >>> as switching to draft quality or using black cartridge only), they
    >>> are reset to Windows defaults the next time I try to print something
    >>> (in the same browser session).
    >>> Is this a bug? If so, has it already been reported? I would
    >>> appreciate your help.
    >>> --
    >>> Eduardo Dobay

    >> Hi Eduardo, I have the same thing. Indeed it's been like that in every
    >> version of Firefox that I've used. It doesn't make any difference
    >> whether I use "Print" or "Print Preview".
    >>

    > My version of FF 1.5 keeps the different printer every time I try to
    > print in the same session, and it keeps it after FF is closed and
    > re-opened. I like that! I didn't try changing the quality or
    > cartridge options.
    > I have Windows XP home edition and Thunderbird 1.5 as my default mail.
    >
    > Barbara

    Hi Barbara, I think FF remembers which printer I'm using but as I only
    ever use one I can't really tell. It's the setting on the printer it
    doesn't remember - print quality, print colour a grey, etc.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  11. Re: Printer options not persisted

    Andromedan wrote:
    > "Eduardo Dobay" wrote in message
    >> If I change my printer options in Firefox via the Print dialog (such as
    >> switching to draft quality or using black cartridge only), they are reset
    >> to Windows defaults the next time I try to print something (in the same
    >> browser session).
    >> Is this a bug? If so, has it already been reported? I would appreciate
    >> your help.
    >> --
    >> Eduardo Dobay

    > AFAIK, It would be a bug if the printer options in FF (or any other
    > application) *were* to persist.
    >
    > To change printer options, close all applications, open Control Panel, then
    > Printers & Faxes.
    >
    > Right click on the printer whose settings you want to change, and select
    > Printing Preferences from the context menu. Do the settings the way you want
    > them to be and click Apply/OK.
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.
    >
    > Andromedan
    > ------------------

    Sorry, but that can't be right. EVERY application I use gives me the
    ability to change the setting of the printer (i.e. print quality/paper
    size/colour handling/paper orientation/etc) and all but FF remember
    those settings for the duration of the time I use the app. If I close
    the app and then re-open it the printer settings revert to the Windows
    defaults.

    If I switch between apps during a session (say from Word to Photoshop)
    then each app remembers the setting I last used in it - which would be
    different for the two apps stated - or the defaults if it was the first
    instance of printing with that app.

    What you describe above changes the default settings.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  12. Re: Printer options not persisted

    On 1/22/2006 11:44 AM On a whim, SteveG pounded out on the keyboard

    > Barbara wrote:
    >>> Hi Eduardo, I have the same thing. Indeed it's been like that in every
    >>> version of Firefox that I've used. It doesn't make any difference
    >>> whether I use "Print" or "Print Preview".
    >>>

    >> My version of FF 1.5 keeps the different printer every time I try to
    >> print in the same session, and it keeps it after FF is closed and
    >> re-opened. I like that! I didn't try changing the quality or
    >> cartridge options.
    >> I have Windows XP home edition and Thunderbird 1.5 as my default mail.
    >>
    >> Barbara

    > Hi Barbara, I think FF remembers which printer I'm using but as I only
    > ever use one I can't really tell. It's the setting on the printer it
    > doesn't remember - print quality, print colour a grey, etc.

    Hi Steve,

    Can't replicate that here. In fact FF is over-riding the Windows default
    for me. FF is remembering the settings from the last session, even if it
    was yesterday and a clean boot in the morning.

    I'm wondering if there is a pref setting that might be causing this
    behavior. I'll investigate a little but I'm not exactly sure what it
    might be. I'll do a search in about:config for print and see if there
    are any defaults.

    --
    Terry

  13. Re: Printer options not persisted

    On 1/22/2006 11:44 AM On a whim, SteveG pounded out on the keyboard

    > Barbara wrote:
    >>> Hi Eduardo, I have the same thing. Indeed it's been like that in every
    >>> version of Firefox that I've used. It doesn't make any difference
    >>> whether I use "Print" or "Print Preview".
    >>>

    >> My version of FF 1.5 keeps the different printer every time I try to
    >> print in the same session, and it keeps it after FF is closed and
    >> re-opened. I like that! I didn't try changing the quality or
    >> cartridge options.
    >> I have Windows XP home edition and Thunderbird 1.5 as my default mail.
    >>
    >> Barbara

    > Hi Barbara, I think FF remembers which printer I'm using but as I only
    > ever use one I can't really tell. It's the setting on the printer it
    > doesn't remember - print quality, print colour a grey, etc.

    Steve,

    I did find a setting in about:config called:
    print.save_print_settings

    and mine is set to true. Do you have that and is it set the same?

    --
    Terry

  14. Re: Printer options not persisted

    Thanks for your message. You are right. Actually I now see that I may have
    misread/misunderstood the OP and related it to some of my own printer
    settings experiences during some experimentation recently. My apologies.

    "SteveG" wrote in message
    > Andromedan wrote:
    >> "Eduardo Dobay" wrote in message
    >>> If I change my printer options in Firefox via the Print dialog (such as
    >>> switching to draft quality or using black cartridge only), they are
    >>> reset to Windows defaults the next time I try to print something (in the
    >>> same browser session).
    >>> Is this a bug? If so, has it already been reported? I would appreciate
    >>> your help.
    >>> --
    >>> Eduardo Dobay

    >> AFAIK, It would be a bug if the printer options in FF (or any other
    >> application) *were* to persist.
    >>
    >> To change printer options, close all applications, open Control Panel,
    >> then Printers & Faxes.
    >>
    >> Right click on the printer whose settings you want to change, and select
    >> Printing Preferences from the context menu. Do the settings the way you
    >> want them to be and click Apply/OK.
    >>
    >> :-)
    >>
    >> Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.
    >>
    >> Andromedan
    >> ------------------
    >>

    > Sorry, but that can't be right. EVERY application I use gives me the
    > ability to change the setting of the printer (i.e. print quality/paper
    > size/colour handling/paper orientation/etc) and all but FF remember those
    > settings for the duration of the time I use the app. If I close the app
    > and then re-open it the printer settings revert to the Windows defaults.
    >
    > If I switch between apps during a session (say from Word to Photoshop)
    > then each app remembers the setting I last used in it - which would be
    > different for the two apps stated - or the defaults if it was the first
    > instance of printing with that app.
    >
    > What you describe above changes the default settings.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Steve G

  15. Re: Printer options not persisted

    Terry wrote:

    > Steve,
    >
    > I did find a setting in about:config called:
    > print.save_print_settings
    >
    > and mine is set to true. Do you have that and is it set the same?

    Hi Terry,

    Yep, I have the same entry and it's also set to true.

    I see there's another entry print.use_global_printsettings and this is
    also set to true. I've just set that to false and gonna see what happens.

    Fingers crossed .. I've never dabbled in here before :-)

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  16. Re: Printer options not persisted

    SteveG wrote:
    > Terry wrote:
    >

    >> Steve,
    >>
    >> I did find a setting in about:config called:
    >> print.save_print_settings
    >>
    >> and mine is set to true. Do you have that and is it set the same?
    >>

    > Hi Terry,
    >
    > Yep, I have the same entry and it's also set to true.
    >
    > I see there's another entry print.use_global_printsettings and this is
    > also set to true. I've just set that to false and gonna see what happens.
    >
    > Fingers crossed .. I've never dabbled in here before :-)

    Nope, that didn't help.

    I changed the vale to false, closed FF and re-opened it. Used print
    preview to set "text" quality print and printed my start page. Selected
    another web page from my favourites and selected print preview again ...
    settings were back to the Windoze default - d'oh! :-)

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  17. Re: Printer options not persisted

    Andromedan wrote:
    > Thanks for your message. You are right. Actually I now see that I may have
    > misread/misunderstood the OP and related it to some of my own printer
    > settings experiences during some experimentation recently. My apologies.
    >
    > Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.
    >
    > Andromedan
    > ------------------

    I flew in a Vulcan once - impressive old bird :-)

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  18. Re: Printer options not persisted

    On 1/22/2006 3:29 PM On a whim, SteveG pounded out on the keyboard

    > SteveG wrote:
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>
    >>> Steve,
    >>>
    >>> I did find a setting in about:config called:
    >>> print.save_print_settings
    >>>
    >>> and mine is set to true. Do you have that and is it set the same?
    >>>

    >> Hi Terry,
    >>
    >> Yep, I have the same entry and it's also set to true.
    >>
    >> I see there's another entry print.use_global_printsettings and this is
    >> also set to true. I've just set that to false and gonna see what happens.
    >>
    >> Fingers crossed .. I've never dabbled in here before :-)
    >>

    > Nope, that didn't help.
    >
    > I changed the vale to false, closed FF and re-opened it. Used print
    > preview to set "text" quality print and printed my start page. Selected
    > another web page from my favourites and selected print preview again ...
    > settings were back to the Windoze default - d'oh! :-)

    Are you logged on with Admin rights? If not that could very well be the
    problem.

    --
    Terry

  19. Re: Printer options not persisted

    Terry wrote:
    > On 1/22/2006 3:29 PM On a whim, SteveG pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> SteveG wrote:

    >>> Hi Terry,
    >>>
    >>> Yep, I have the same entry and it's also set to true.
    >>>
    >>> I see there's another entry print.use_global_printsettings and this
    >>> is also set to true. I've just set that to false and gonna see what
    >>> happens.
    >>>
    >>> Fingers crossed .. I've never dabbled in here before :-)
    >>>

    >> Nope, that didn't help.
    >>
    >> I changed the vale to false, closed FF and re-opened it. Used print
    >> preview to set "text" quality print and printed my start page.
    >> Selected another web page from my favourites and selected print
    >> preview again ... settings were back to the Windoze default - d'oh! :-)
    >>

    > Are you logged on with Admin rights? If not that could very well be the
    > problem.

    Yep. Thought of that too :-)

    Actually it's not such a bit deal as I don't very often print web pages :-)

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  20. Re: Printer options not persisted

    On 1/23/2006 12:40 PM On a whim, SteveG pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry wrote:

    >>> Nope, that didn't help.
    >>>
    >>> I changed the vale to false, closed FF and re-opened it. Used print
    >>> preview to set "text" quality print and printed my start page.
    >>> Selected another web page from my favourites and selected print
    >>> preview again ... settings were back to the Windoze default - d'oh! :-)
    >>>

    >> Are you logged on with Admin rights? If not that could very well be the
    >> problem.
    >>

    > Yep. Thought of that too :-)
    >
    > Actually it's not such a bit deal as I don't very often print web pages :-)

    Just to test, have you tried it in Safe Mode to see if it functions the
    same? A remote possibility would be that an extension or theme may be
    causing the problem, though unlikely.

    --
    Terry

+ Reply to Thread