Printer options not persisted - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Printer options not persisted - Mozilla ; MushMorton wrote: > Maybe I am confused, I thought the OP's original question referred to > changing the printer settings, not the printer itself. Yes, you are right indeed. If I print something using a printer other than the default, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Printer options not persisted

  1. Re: Printer options not persisted

    MushMorton wrote:
    > Maybe I am confused, I thought the OP's original question referred to
    > changing the printer settings, not the printer itself.


    Yes, you are right indeed. If I print something using a printer other
    than the default, in the next print job, the Print dialog shows up with
    that different printer, and it is even saved across sessions, as I read
    in some other article in this thread.

    But when I change the printer settings, e.g. resolution/quality or
    switching between color and grayscale mode, they are not persisted even
    within the same browser session; Windows defaults are restored right
    after I print something. For example, my HP printer defaults to
    EconoFast, color mode (I set it that way in the Control Panel, as
    somebody said). If I print a page in Normal, grayscale mode, and try
    printing it again (without navigating away from it), the EconoFast,
    color mode will be pre-selected, as if I had not changed print settings
    in the first place. That is not what I expect it to do, judging by
    Microsoft Word's behaviour. By the way, I should try doing that on
    Linux. I will test it soon and post the results.

    --
    Eduardo

  2. Re: Printer options not persisted

    On 1/23/2006 4:07 PM On a whim, Eduardo Dobay pounded out on the keyboard

    > MushMorton wrote:
    >> Maybe I am confused, I thought the OP's original question referred to
    >> changing the printer settings, not the printer itself.

    >
    > Yes, you are right indeed. If I print something using a printer other
    > than the default, in the next print job, the Print dialog shows up with
    > that different printer, and it is even saved across sessions, as I read
    > in some other article in this thread.
    >
    > But when I change the printer settings, e.g. resolution/quality or
    > switching between color and grayscale mode, they are not persisted even
    > within the same browser session; Windows defaults are restored right
    > after I print something. For example, my HP printer defaults to
    > EconoFast, color mode (I set it that way in the Control Panel, as
    > somebody said). If I print a page in Normal, grayscale mode, and try
    > printing it again (without navigating away from it), the EconoFast,
    > color mode will be pre-selected, as if I had not changed print settings
    > in the first place. That is not what I expect it to do, judging by
    > Microsoft Word's behaviour. By the way, I should try doing that on
    > Linux. I will test it soon and post the results.
    >
    > --
    > Eduardo


    Hi Eduardo,

    A lot has been discussed since you posted. It was good you finally
    returned to reply.

    I tested further to your problem and found that there are some settings
    returning to defaults. I can change print orientation and it sticks. I
    can change paper size and it sticks. Resolution returned to defaults.

    Making the same test in WordPerfect showed the resolution stayed as set
    within the session as did the other two settings.

    I guess now it's going to come down to; what is the Windows standard
    regarding changes to the defaults within a session and what programs are
    being compliant and which ones are stepping away from the standard.

    Unfortunately you tested using MS Word and MS is the WORST violator of
    their own standards. Test using other non-MS products since I'm not
    exactly sure what the "standard" is supposed to be anymore. Does anyone?


    --
    Terry

  3. Re: Printer options not persisted

    Terry wrote:

    >>

    >
    > Just to test, have you tried it in Safe Mode to see if it functions the
    > same? A remote possibility would be that an extension or theme may be
    > causing the problem, though unlikely.
    >
    >


    That's a good thought ... nope didn't make any difference. I wonder if
    it's printer manufacturer related? All of the printers on the network at
    home are Epson - different models but the same make - so I can't check that.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  4. Re: Printer options not persisted

    On 1/24/2006 1:22 PM On a whim, SteveG pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry wrote:
    >
    >> Just to test, have you tried it in Safe Mode to see if it functions the
    >> same? A remote possibility would be that an extension or theme may be
    >> causing the problem, though unlikely.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > That's a good thought ... nope didn't make any difference. I wonder if
    > it's printer manufacturer related? All of the printers on the network at
    > home are Epson - different models but the same make - so I can't check that.
    >


    The OP finally posted the other day and I did further testing and found
    there are some settings that revert each time and some that stick. One
    that didn't was resolution. Each time I went to print, even within the
    same session, the res would be at the default. But I could switch a
    printer and it would stick, change the orientation and it would stick.
    So it's hit and miss.

    My thought was that we don't really know any more what the MS Standard
    for "defaults" are any longer. The OP commented that Word held the
    settings but that doesn't answer anything because MS always goes against
    its "standards". I tested with a few apps and found different results
    for each but for the most part resolution was one that always went back
    to default.

    --
    Terry

  5. Re: Printer options not persisted

    Terry wrote:
    > On 1/23/2006 4:07 PM On a whim, Eduardo Dobay pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> MushMorton wrote:
    >>> Maybe I am confused, I thought the OP's original question referred to
    >>> changing the printer settings, not the printer itself.

    >>
    >> Yes, you are right indeed. If I print something using a printer other
    >> than the default, in the next print job, the Print dialog shows up
    >> with that different printer, and it is even saved across sessions, as
    >> I read in some other article in this thread.
    >>
    >> But when I change the printer settings, e.g. resolution/quality or
    >> switching between color and grayscale mode, they are not persisted
    >> even within the same browser session; Windows defaults are restored
    >> right after I print something. For example, my HP printer defaults to
    >> EconoFast, color mode (I set it that way in the Control Panel, as
    >> somebody said). If I print a page in Normal, grayscale mode, and try
    >> printing it again (without navigating away from it), the EconoFast,
    >> color mode will be pre-selected, as if I had not changed print
    >> settings in the first place. That is not what I expect it to do,
    >> judging by Microsoft Word's behaviour. By the way, I should try doing
    >> that on Linux. I will test it soon and post the results.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Eduardo

    >
    > Hi Eduardo,
    >
    > A lot has been discussed since you posted. It was good you finally
    > returned to reply.
    >
    > I tested further to your problem and found that there are some settings
    > returning to defaults. I can change print orientation and it sticks. I
    > can change paper size and it sticks. Resolution returned to defaults.
    >
    > Making the same test in WordPerfect showed the resolution stayed as set
    > within the session as did the other two settings.
    >
    > I guess now it's going to come down to; what is the Windows standard
    > regarding changes to the defaults within a session and what programs are
    > being compliant and which ones are stepping away from the standard.
    >
    > Unfortunately you tested using MS Word and MS is the WORST violator of
    > their own standards. Test using other non-MS products since I'm not
    > exactly sure what the "standard" is supposed to be anymore. Does anyone?
    >
    >


    Terry,

    I've tested this with Adobe Acrobat (full version and Reader), Adobe
    Photoshop (v7 and CS2), ABBYY Finereader 7 and Dreamweaver MX2004 and
    they all retain changed setting for the duration of a session. All the
    MS Office (Office 2003) do the same.

    Thunderbird acts the same as Firefox ... but I guess that's not too much
    of a surprise.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2