read mail calling wrong program - Mozilla

This is a discussion on read mail calling wrong program - Mozilla ; I installed Thunderbird 1.5 recently but Firefox 1.5 still calls Netscape when I click on the "Read Mail" option. I uninstalled / reinstalled Firefox 1.5, thinking that would reset the option but it gave an error that it couldn't make ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: read mail calling wrong program

  1. read mail calling wrong program

    I installed Thunderbird 1.5 recently but Firefox 1.5 still calls
    Netscape when I click on the "Read Mail" option. I uninstalled /
    reinstalled Firefox 1.5, thinking that would reset the option but it
    gave an error that it couldn't make Thunderbird the default e-mail
    client because it could not write to the registry because I didn't have
    rights for that.
    I also trying changing the default mail client in Control Panel to
    something else and back, but still not working.
    Anyone know how to fix this? Or how to update the registry to make
    TB the default for Firefox? It is the default for other programs when I
    need to write mail.
    I have only one user on my computer (Windows XP home), and I have
    administrator rights.

    Barbara

  2. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    Barbara wrote:

    > I installed Thunderbird 1.5 recently but Firefox 1.5 still calls
    > Netscape when I click on the "Read Mail" option. I uninstalled /
    > reinstalled Firefox 1.5, thinking that would reset the option but it
    > gave an error that it couldn't make Thunderbird the default e-mail
    > client because it could not write to the registry because I didn't have
    > rights for that.
    > I also trying changing the default mail client in Control Panel to
    > something else and back, but still not working.
    > Anyone know how to fix this? Or how to update the registry to make
    > TB the default for Firefox? It is the default for other programs when I
    > need to write mail.
    > I have only one user on my computer (Windows XP home), and I have
    > administrator rights.
    >
    > Barbara

    Make sure that TB is set to default: Tools, Options, General and the
    first section is Default Settings.

  3. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    On 1/20/2006 11:26 PM Pacific Time, gwtc wrote thusly:
    > Barbara wrote:
    >
    >> I installed Thunderbird 1.5 recently but Firefox 1.5 still calls
    >> Netscape when I click on the "Read Mail" option. I uninstalled /
    >> reinstalled Firefox 1.5, thinking that would reset the option but it
    >> gave an error that it couldn't make Thunderbird the default e-mail
    >> client because it could not write to the registry because I didn't
    >> have rights for that.
    >> I also trying changing the default mail client in Control Panel to
    >> something else and back, but still not working.
    >> Anyone know how to fix this? Or how to update the registry to make
    >> TB the default for Firefox? It is the default for other programs when
    >> I need to write mail.
    >> I have only one user on my computer (Windows XP home), and I have
    >> administrator rights.
    >>
    >> Barbara

    > Make sure that TB is set to default: Tools, Options, General and the
    > first section is Default Settings.


    That's where the problem is. It says it cannot write to the registry,
    to check with my system administrator and try again. That check-box
    won't stay checked. I'm the only user and I'm the administrator.
    If I knew which registry entry to change, I'd do it myself.

    The exact message is: "Mozilla Thunderbird could not be set as the
    default mail application because a registry key could not be updated.
    Verify with your system administrator that you have write access to your
    system registry, then try again."
    I went over to NS 7.2 to see what it had and got the same error when
    I tried to uncheck "default mail application" there. It would not let
    me uncheck NS.
    Seems like this would be a bug that is carrying forward? Why not
    just use the Windows settings?

    Anyone else have any suggestions? This is the only version of
    Thunderbird I've ever had.
    Thanks in advance.

    Barbara

  4. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    Barbara wrote:
    > On 1/20/2006 11:26 PM Pacific Time, gwtc wrote thusly:
    >
    >> Barbara wrote:


    /snip/
    >
    >
    > That's where the problem is. It says it cannot write to the registry,
    > to check with my system administrator and try again. That check-box
    > won't stay checked. I'm the only user and I'm the administrator.
    > If I knew which registry entry to change, I'd do it myself.
    >
    > The exact message is: "Mozilla Thunderbird could not be set as the
    > default mail application because a registry key could not be updated.
    > Verify with your system administrator that you have write access to your
    > system registry, then try again."
    > I went over to NS 7.2 to see what it had and got the same error when I
    > tried to uncheck "default mail application" there. It would not let me
    > uncheck NS.
    > Seems like this would be a bug that is carrying forward? Why not just
    > use the Windows settings?
    >
    > Anyone else have any suggestions? This is the only version of
    > Thunderbird I've ever had.
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Barbara


    Its not a bug unless it is affecting multiple users. For most users,
    setting TB as default is as simple as gw's suggestion. The question is
    why it does not work on your system.

    Could you tell us version of Windows you are using? If its Xp, using Set
    Program Access and Defaults might be the answer.

    On an older version, try setting Outlook Express as the default. If
    that works, try setting TB.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  5. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    On 1/21/2006 2:49 PM Pacific Time, Leonidas Jones wrote thusly:
    > Barbara wrote:
    >> On 1/20/2006 11:26 PM Pacific Time, gwtc wrote thusly:
    >>
    >>> Barbara wrote:

    >
    > /snip/
    >>
    >>
    >> That's where the problem is. It says it cannot write to the registry,
    >> to check with my system administrator and try again. That check-box
    >> won't stay checked. I'm the only user and I'm the administrator.
    >> If I knew which registry entry to change, I'd do it myself.
    >>
    >> The exact message is: "Mozilla Thunderbird could not be set as the
    >> default mail application because a registry key could not be updated.
    >> Verify with your system administrator that you have write access to
    >> your system registry, then try again."
    >> I went over to NS 7.2 to see what it had and got the same error when
    >> I tried to uncheck "default mail application" there. It would not let
    >> me uncheck NS.
    >> Seems like this would be a bug that is carrying forward? Why not
    >> just use the Windows settings?
    >>
    >> Anyone else have any suggestions? This is the only version of
    >> Thunderbird I've ever had.
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Barbara

    >
    > Its not a bug unless it is affecting multiple users. For most users,
    > setting TB as default is as simple as gw's suggestion. The question is
    > why it does not work on your system.
    >
    > Could you tell us version of Windows you are using? If its Xp, using Set
    > Program Access and Defaults might be the answer.
    >
    > On an older version, try setting Outlook Express as the default. If
    > that works, try setting TB.
    >
    > Lee
    >

    Lee,
    I have XP home edition. I tried checking different e-mail clients in
    the Control Panel and saving them. The check box for TB that says
    "enable" was unchecked so I thought maybe that was the answer...not so.
    It seems to update something each time but still won't let me make the
    check mark within TB itself to make it the default mail client.
    Perhaps it saved something from when I first installed and I said "no"
    at that time because I wasn't ready to switch until I had a chance to
    try it out?
    After going to the TB website, I downloaded a program called
    "DefaultMail" that was referenced from the FAQ pages and that changed my
    default e-mail client so that FF now recognizes TB as the default.
    However, I still cannot check the default box within Thunderbird. It
    keeps saying I don't have the right permissions.
    I have 1/2 the problem solved so I'm going to leave it alone unless
    it causes me problems in the future.
    Thanks for the assistance.
    Barbara

  6. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    Barbara wrote:
    > On 1/21/2006 2:49 PM Pacific Time, Leonidas Jones wrote thusly:
    >> Barbara wrote:
    >>> On 1/20/2006 11:26 PM Pacific Time, gwtc wrote thusly:
    >>>
    >>>> Barbara wrote:

    >>


    /snip/

    > Lee,
    > I have XP home edition. I tried checking different e-mail clients in
    > the Control Panel and saving them. The check box for TB that says
    > "enable" was unchecked so I thought maybe that was the answer...not so.
    > It seems to update something each time but still won't let me make the
    > check mark within TB itself to make it the default mail client. Perhaps
    > it saved something from when I first installed and I said "no" at that
    > time because I wasn't ready to switch until I had a chance to try it out?
    > After going to the TB website, I downloaded a program called
    > "DefaultMail" that was referenced from the FAQ pages and that changed my
    > default e-mail client so that FF now recognizes TB as the default.
    > However, I still cannot check the default box within Thunderbird. It
    > keeps saying I don't have the right permissions.
    > I have 1/2 the problem solved so I'm going to leave it alone unless it
    > causes me problems in the future.
    > Thanks for the assistance.
    > Barbara


    Well, If FF is calling out to TB, TB must be default, regardless of what
    TB is saying. You might try creating a new profile, just to see if the
    default option becomes available. However, as you say, if its working,
    perhaps best to leave it alone.

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  7. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    On 1/21/2006 8:04 PM Pacific Time, Leonidas Jones wrote thusly:
    > Barbara wrote:
    >> On 1/21/2006 2:49 PM Pacific Time, Leonidas Jones wrote thusly:
    >>> Barbara wrote:
    >>>> On 1/20/2006 11:26 PM Pacific Time, gwtc wrote thusly:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Barbara wrote:
    >>>

    >
    > /snip/
    >
    >> Lee,
    >> I have XP home edition. I tried checking different e-mail clients
    >> in the Control Panel and saving them. The check box for TB that says
    >> "enable" was unchecked so I thought maybe that was the answer...not
    >> so. It seems to update something each time but still won't let me make
    >> the check mark within TB itself to make it the default mail client.
    >> Perhaps it saved something from when I first installed and I said "no"
    >> at that time because I wasn't ready to switch until I had a chance to
    >> try it out?
    >> After going to the TB website, I downloaded a program called
    >> "DefaultMail" that was referenced from the FAQ pages and that changed
    >> my default e-mail client so that FF now recognizes TB as the default.
    >> However, I still cannot check the default box within Thunderbird.
    >> It keeps saying I don't have the right permissions.
    >> I have 1/2 the problem solved so I'm going to leave it alone unless
    >> it causes me problems in the future.
    >> Thanks for the assistance.
    >> Barbara

    >
    > Well, If FF is calling out to TB, TB must be default, regardless of what
    > TB is saying. You might try creating a new profile, just to see if the
    > default option becomes available. However, as you say, if its working,
    > perhaps best to leave it alone.
    >
    > Lee


    Lee,
    I tried that just for the heck of it. Same problem with a test
    profile - it just doesn't like me Oh well, maybe it will fix itself
    one of these days, and it isn't causing me any problems now since I got
    around it.

    Barbara

  8. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    _Barbara_ spoke thusly on 21/01/2006 10:38 PM:
    > I have XP home edition. I tried checking different e-mail clients in
    > the Control Panel and saving them. The check box for TB that says
    > "enable" was unchecked so I thought maybe that was the answer...not so.
    > It seems to update something each time but still won't let me make the
    > check mark within TB itself to make it the default mail client. Perhaps
    > it saved something from when I first installed and I said "no" at that
    > time because I wasn't ready to switch until I had a chance to try it out?
    > After going to the TB website, I downloaded a program called
    > "DefaultMail" that was referenced from the FAQ pages and that changed my
    > default e-mail client so that FF now recognizes TB as the default.
    > However, I still cannot check the default box within Thunderbird. It
    > keeps saying I don't have the right permissions.
    > I have 1/2 the problem solved so I'm going to leave it alone unless it
    > causes me problems in the future.
    > Thanks for the assistance.


    Lets make sure you are using an admin account. In the Thunderbird Mail &
    Newsgroups window, go to the 'Help' menu. Is "Check for updates" an
    option? Is it greyed out?
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)
    Mozilla Help
    Netscape 7 Help

  9. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    On 1/22/2006 1:36 AM Pacific Time, Chris Ilias wrote thusly:
    > _Barbara_ spoke thusly on 21/01/2006 10:38 PM:
    >> I have XP home edition. I tried checking different e-mail clients
    >> in the Control Panel and saving them. The check box for TB that says
    >> "enable" was unchecked so I thought maybe that was the answer...not
    >> so. It seems to update something each time but still won't let me make
    >> the check mark within TB itself to make it the default mail client.
    >> Perhaps it saved something from when I first installed and I said "no"
    >> at that time because I wasn't ready to switch until I had a chance to
    >> try it out?
    >> After going to the TB website, I downloaded a program called
    >> "DefaultMail" that was referenced from the FAQ pages and that changed
    >> my default e-mail client so that FF now recognizes TB as the default.
    >> However, I still cannot check the default box within Thunderbird.
    >> It keeps saying I don't have the right permissions.
    >> I have 1/2 the problem solved so I'm going to leave it alone unless
    >> it causes me problems in the future.
    >> Thanks for the assistance.

    >
    > Lets make sure you are using an admin account. In the Thunderbird Mail &
    > Newsgroups window, go to the 'Help' menu. Is "Check for updates" an
    > option? Is it greyed out?


    Chris,
    Yes, it's there. I tried clicking it and it searched and found no
    updates.

    Barbara

  10. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    _Barbara_ spoke thusly on 22/01/2006 4:13 PM:
    > On 1/22/2006 1:36 AM Pacific Time, Chris Ilias wrote thusly:
    >
    >> Lets make sure you are using an admin account. In the Thunderbird Mail
    >> & Newsgroups window, go to the 'Help' menu. Is "Check for updates" an
    >> option? Is it greyed out?

    >
    > Chris,
    > Yes, it's there. I tried clicking it and it searched and found no
    > updates.


    Try this:
    Create a new Windows XP account (administrator type). Then try setting
    Thunderbird as the default from there. If all works well, Firefox starts
    calling up TB, you can remove the news XP account afterwards.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)
    Mozilla Help
    Netscape 7 Help

  11. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    Barbara wrote:
    > On 1/22/2006 1:36 AM Pacific Time, Chris Ilias wrote thusly:
    >> _Barbara_ spoke thusly on 21/01/2006 10:38 PM:


    /snip/
    > Chris,
    > Yes, it's there. I tried clicking it and it searched and found no
    > updates.
    >
    > Barbara


    Chris' point was that, if you don't have admin privileges, the option
    would be greyed out.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  12. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    On 1/22/2006 1:34 PM Pacific Time, Chris Ilias wrote thusly:
    > _Barbara_ spoke thusly on 22/01/2006 4:13 PM:
    >> On 1/22/2006 1:36 AM Pacific Time, Chris Ilias wrote thusly:
    >>
    >>> Lets make sure you are using an admin account. In the Thunderbird
    >>> Mail & Newsgroups window, go to the 'Help' menu. Is "Check for
    >>> updates" an option? Is it greyed out?

    >>
    >> Chris,
    >> Yes, it's there. I tried clicking it and it searched and found no
    >> updates.

    >
    > Try this:
    > Create a new Windows XP account (administrator type). Then try setting
    > Thunderbird as the default from there. If all works well, Firefox starts
    > calling up TB, you can remove the news XP account afterwards.



    Chris,
    I created a new administrator account, set up TB in that account.
    When I went to Tool/Options, still got the error message when I tried to
    check TB as the default mail client. It was already checked for news.

    Barbara

  13. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    Barbara wrote:

    > On 1/21/2006 2:49 PM Pacific Time, Leonidas Jones wrote thusly:
    >
    >>Barbara wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 1/20/2006 11:26 PM Pacific Time, gwtc wrote thusly:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Barbara wrote:

    >>
    >> /snip/
    >>
    >>>
    >>>That's where the problem is. It says it cannot write to the registry,
    >>>to check with my system administrator and try again. That check-box
    >>>won't stay checked. I'm the only user and I'm the administrator.
    >>> If I knew which registry entry to change, I'd do it myself.
    >>>
    >>> The exact message is: "Mozilla Thunderbird could not be set as the
    >>>default mail application because a registry key could not be updated.
    >>>Verify with your system administrator that you have write access to
    >>>your system registry, then try again."
    >>> I went over to NS 7.2 to see what it had and got the same error when
    >>>I tried to uncheck "default mail application" there. It would not let
    >>>me uncheck NS.
    >>> Seems like this would be a bug that is carrying forward? Why not
    >>>just use the Windows settings?
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else have any suggestions? This is the only version of
    >>>Thunderbird I've ever had.
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>>Barbara

    >>
    >>Its not a bug unless it is affecting multiple users. For most users,
    >>setting TB as default is as simple as gw's suggestion. The question is
    >>why it does not work on your system.
    >>
    >>Could you tell us version of Windows you are using? If its Xp, using Set
    >>Program Access and Defaults might be the answer.
    >>
    >>On an older version, try setting Outlook Express as the default. If
    >>that works, try setting TB.
    >>
    >>Lee
    >>

    >
    > Lee,
    > I have XP home edition. I tried checking different e-mail clients in
    > the Control Panel and saving them. The check box for TB that says
    > "enable" was unchecked so I thought maybe that was the answer...not so.
    > It seems to update something each time but still won't let me make the
    > check mark within TB itself to make it the default mail client.
    > Perhaps it saved something from when I first installed and I said "no"
    > at that time because I wasn't ready to switch until I had a chance to
    > try it out?
    > After going to the TB website, I downloaded a program called
    > "DefaultMail" that was referenced from the FAQ pages and that changed my
    > default e-mail client so that FF now recognizes TB as the default.
    > However, I still cannot check the default box within Thunderbird. It
    > keeps saying I don't have the right permissions.
    > I have 1/2 the problem solved so I'm going to leave it alone unless
    > it causes me problems in the future.
    > Thanks for the assistance.
    > Barbara

    I don't know if this is going to work, but worth a shot. Click on
    Tools, Options, Advanced, General tab and click on the Config Editor
    button. Look for an entry of mail.checkDefaultMail and double click
    on that and change it to true. You may have to restart TB for this to
    work. Does that work?

    If that doesn't work, then close TB, in the Control Panel, click on
    the Internet Options icon. Under the Programs tab, change your email
    client there. Does that work?

    --
    Time for a change

  14. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    On 1/23/2006 1:45 AM Pacific Time, gwtc wrote thusly:
    > Barbara wrote:
    >
    >> On 1/21/2006 2:49 PM Pacific Time, Leonidas Jones wrote thusly:
    >>
    >>> Barbara wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 1/20/2006 11:26 PM Pacific Time, gwtc wrote thusly:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Barbara wrote:
    >>>
    >>> /snip/
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> That's where the problem is. It says it cannot write to the
    >>>> registry, to check with my system administrator and try again. That
    >>>> check-box won't stay checked. I'm the only user and I'm the
    >>>> administrator.
    >>>> If I knew which registry entry to change, I'd do it myself.
    >>>>
    >>>> The exact message is: "Mozilla Thunderbird could not be set as the
    >>>> default mail application because a registry key could not be
    >>>> updated. Verify with your system administrator that you have write
    >>>> access to your system registry, then try again."
    >>>> I went over to NS 7.2 to see what it had and got the same error
    >>>> when I tried to uncheck "default mail application" there. It would
    >>>> not let me uncheck NS.
    >>>> Seems like this would be a bug that is carrying forward? Why not
    >>>> just use the Windows settings?
    >>>>
    >>>> Anyone else have any suggestions? This is the only version of
    >>>> Thunderbird I've ever had.
    >>>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>>
    >>>> Barbara
    >>>
    >>> Its not a bug unless it is affecting multiple users. For most users,
    >>> setting TB as default is as simple as gw's suggestion. The question
    >>> is why it does not work on your system.
    >>>
    >>> Could you tell us version of Windows you are using? If its Xp, using
    >>> Set Program Access and Defaults might be the answer.
    >>>
    >>> On an older version, try setting Outlook Express as the default. If
    >>> that works, try setting TB.
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>

    >>
    >> Lee,
    >> I have XP home edition. I tried checking different e-mail clients
    >> in the Control Panel and saving them. The check box for TB that says
    >> "enable" was unchecked so I thought maybe that was the answer...not
    >> so. It seems to update something each time but still won't let me make
    >> the check mark within TB itself to make it the default mail client.
    >> Perhaps it saved something from when I first installed and I said "no"
    >> at that time because I wasn't ready to switch until I had a chance to
    >> try it out?
    >> After going to the TB website, I downloaded a program called
    >> "DefaultMail" that was referenced from the FAQ pages and that changed
    >> my default e-mail client so that FF now recognizes TB as the default.
    >> However, I still cannot check the default box within Thunderbird.
    >> It keeps saying I don't have the right permissions.
    >> I have 1/2 the problem solved so I'm going to leave it alone unless
    >> it causes me problems in the future.
    >> Thanks for the assistance.
    >> Barbara

    > I don't know if this is going to work, but worth a shot. Click on
    > Tools, Options, Advanced, General tab and click on the Config Editor
    > button. Look for an entry of mail.checkDefaultMail and double click on
    > that and change it to true. You may have to restart TB for this to
    > work. Does that work?
    >
    > If that doesn't work, then close TB, in the Control Panel, click on the
    > Internet Options icon. Under the Programs tab, change your email client
    > there. Does that work?
    >


    Hmm... interesting.
    I tried to double-click it (mail.checkDefaultMail) in Config Editor
    and it gave the same error message when I tried to change from false to
    true.
    Tried right-click while there, then "Reset" and it seems to stick as
    "true" which is the default setting. Seems to stick after opening and
    closing TB a few times. Still don't have the check mark in the
    Tools/Options/General box for default mail.
    On Control Panel, Internet Options, I changed it to TB. Somehow it
    had gotten set back to Outlook Express (beats me why that happened
    because it used to be TB).
    On the "Set Program Access & Defaults", it is set to "current
    program" but the "enable access to this program" is unchecked for
    Thunderbird and keeps resetting back to unchecked whenever I check it.
    That may be what is overriding the other settings??? Help on that
    screen says to talk to the program manufacturer...
    Just went back to TB Tools/Options/General, ...and the default mail
    box is now checked. Who-hoo ... Still don't have the "enable access .."
    checked for TB in Control Panel, "Set Program Access & Defaults" though.
    One small step for mankind...
    Just to make sure, I shut down completely and restarted. Settings
    stayed as above - now showing the default check box in
    Tools/Options/General as TB for the default mail client, showing true in
    mail.checkDefaultMail, showing TB in Control Panel/Internet Options, and
    still unable to get it to stay checked in "Set Program Access &
    Defaults." TB is coming up as the default mail client when I click
    mailto links and from Firefox (read mail and New mail).
    I wonder if all those different ways of setting the default mail
    client might be interfering with each other somehow?
    Thanks for the help

    Barbara




  15. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    Barbara wrote:

    > On 1/23/2006 1:45 AM Pacific Time, gwtc wrote thusly:
    >
    >>Barbara wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>On 1/21/2006 2:49 PM Pacific Time, Leonidas Jones wrote thusly:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Barbara wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>On 1/20/2006 11:26 PM Pacific Time, gwtc wrote thusly:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>Barbara wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>/snip/
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>That's where the problem is. It says it cannot write to the
    >>>>>registry, to check with my system administrator and try again. That
    >>>>>check-box won't stay checked. I'm the only user and I'm the
    >>>>>administrator.
    >>>>> If I knew which registry entry to change, I'd do it myself.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The exact message is: "Mozilla Thunderbird could not be set as the
    >>>>>default mail application because a registry key could not be
    >>>>>updated. Verify with your system administrator that you have write
    >>>>>access to your system registry, then try again."
    >>>>> I went over to NS 7.2 to see what it had and got the same error
    >>>>>when I tried to uncheck "default mail application" there. It would
    >>>>>not let me uncheck NS.
    >>>>> Seems like this would be a bug that is carrying forward? Why not
    >>>>>just use the Windows settings?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Anyone else have any suggestions? This is the only version of
    >>>>>Thunderbird I've ever had.
    >>>>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Barbara
    >>>>
    >>>>Its not a bug unless it is affecting multiple users. For most users,
    >>>>setting TB as default is as simple as gw's suggestion. The question
    >>>>is why it does not work on your system.
    >>>>
    >>>>Could you tell us version of Windows you are using? If its Xp, using
    >>>>Set Program Access and Defaults might be the answer.
    >>>>
    >>>>On an older version, try setting Outlook Express as the default. If
    >>>>that works, try setting TB.
    >>>>
    >>>>Lee
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>Lee,
    >>> I have XP home edition. I tried checking different e-mail clients
    >>>in the Control Panel and saving them. The check box for TB that says
    >>>"enable" was unchecked so I thought maybe that was the answer...not
    >>>so. It seems to update something each time but still won't let me make
    >>>the check mark within TB itself to make it the default mail client.
    >>>Perhaps it saved something from when I first installed and I said "no"
    >>>at that time because I wasn't ready to switch until I had a chance to
    >>>try it out?
    >>> After going to the TB website, I downloaded a program called
    >>>"DefaultMail" that was referenced from the FAQ pages and that changed
    >>>my default e-mail client so that FF now recognizes TB as the default.
    >>> However, I still cannot check the default box within Thunderbird.
    >>>It keeps saying I don't have the right permissions.
    >>> I have 1/2 the problem solved so I'm going to leave it alone unless
    >>>it causes me problems in the future.
    >>> Thanks for the assistance.
    >>>Barbara

    >>
    >>I don't know if this is going to work, but worth a shot. Click on
    >>Tools, Options, Advanced, General tab and click on the Config Editor
    >>button. Look for an entry of mail.checkDefaultMail and double click on
    >>that and change it to true. You may have to restart TB for this to
    >>work. Does that work?
    >>
    >>If that doesn't work, then close TB, in the Control Panel, click on the
    >>Internet Options icon. Under the Programs tab, change your email client
    >>there. Does that work?
    >>

    >
    >
    > Hmm... interesting.
    > I tried to double-click it (mail.checkDefaultMail) in Config Editor
    > and it gave the same error message when I tried to change from false to
    > true.
    > Tried right-click while there, then "Reset" and it seems to stick as
    > "true" which is the default setting. Seems to stick after opening and
    > closing TB a few times. Still don't have the check mark in the
    > Tools/Options/General box for default mail.
    > On Control Panel, Internet Options, I changed it to TB. Somehow it
    > had gotten set back to Outlook Express (beats me why that happened
    > because it used to be TB).
    > On the "Set Program Access & Defaults", it is set to "current
    > program" but the "enable access to this program" is unchecked for
    > Thunderbird and keeps resetting back to unchecked whenever I check it.
    > That may be what is overriding the other settings??? Help on that
    > screen says to talk to the program manufacturer...
    > Just went back to TB Tools/Options/General, ...and the default mail
    > box is now checked. Who-hoo ... Still don't have the "enable access .."
    > checked for TB in Control Panel, "Set Program Access & Defaults" though.
    > One small step for mankind...
    > Just to make sure, I shut down completely and restarted. Settings
    > stayed as above - now showing the default check box in
    > Tools/Options/General as TB for the default mail client, showing true in
    > mail.checkDefaultMail, showing TB in Control Panel/Internet Options, and
    > still unable to get it to stay checked in "Set Program Access &
    > Defaults." TB is coming up as the default mail client when I click
    > mailto links and from Firefox (read mail and New mail).
    > I wonder if all those different ways of setting the default mail
    > client might be interfering with each other somehow?
    > Thanks for the help
    >
    > Barbara
    >
    >
    >

    I have no idea cause I only use win98.

    --
    Time for a change

  16. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    gwtc wrote:

    > Barbara wrote:
    >
    >
    >>On 1/23/2006 1:45 AM Pacific Time, gwtc wrote thusly:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Barbara wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>On 1/21/2006 2:49 PM Pacific Time, Leonidas Jones wrote thusly:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Barbara wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>On 1/20/2006 11:26 PM Pacific Time, gwtc wrote thusly:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>>Barbara wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>/snip/
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>That's where the problem is. It says it cannot write to the
    >>>>>>registry, to check with my system administrator and try again. That
    >>>>>>check-box won't stay checked. I'm the only user and I'm the
    >>>>>>administrator.
    >>>>>>If I knew which registry entry to change, I'd do it myself.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>The exact message is: "Mozilla Thunderbird could not be set as the
    >>>>>>default mail application because a registry key could not be
    >>>>>>updated. Verify with your system administrator that you have write
    >>>>>>access to your system registry, then try again."
    >>>>>>I went over to NS 7.2 to see what it had and got the same error
    >>>>>>when I tried to uncheck "default mail application" there. It would
    >>>>>>not let me uncheck NS.
    >>>>>>Seems like this would be a bug that is carrying forward? Why not
    >>>>>>just use the Windows settings?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>Anyone else have any suggestions? This is the only version of
    >>>>>>Thunderbird I've ever had.
    >>>>>>Thanks in advance.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>Barbara
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Its not a bug unless it is affecting multiple users. For most users,
    >>>>>setting TB as default is as simple as gw's suggestion. The question
    >>>>>is why it does not work on your system.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Could you tell us version of Windows you are using? If its Xp, using
    >>>>>Set Program Access and Defaults might be the answer.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>On an older version, try setting Outlook Express as the default. If
    >>>>>that works, try setting TB.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Lee
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Lee,
    >>>> I have XP home edition. I tried checking different e-mail clients
    >>>>in the Control Panel and saving them. The check box for TB that says
    >>>>"enable" was unchecked so I thought maybe that was the answer...not
    >>>>so. It seems to update something each time but still won't let me make
    >>>>the check mark within TB itself to make it the default mail client.
    >>>>Perhaps it saved something from when I first installed and I said "no"
    >>>>at that time because I wasn't ready to switch until I had a chance to
    >>>>try it out?
    >>>> After going to the TB website, I downloaded a program called
    >>>>"DefaultMail" that was referenced from the FAQ pages and that changed
    >>>>my default e-mail client so that FF now recognizes TB as the default.
    >>>> However, I still cannot check the default box within Thunderbird.
    >>>>It keeps saying I don't have the right permissions.
    >>>> I have 1/2 the problem solved so I'm going to leave it alone unless
    >>>>it causes me problems in the future.
    >>>> Thanks for the assistance.
    >>>>Barbara
    >>>
    >>>I don't know if this is going to work, but worth a shot. Click on
    >>>Tools, Options, Advanced, General tab and click on the Config Editor
    >>>button. Look for an entry of mail.checkDefaultMail and double click on
    >>>that and change it to true. You may have to restart TB for this to
    >>>work. Does that work?
    >>>
    >>>If that doesn't work, then close TB, in the Control Panel, click on the
    >>>Internet Options icon. Under the Programs tab, change your email client
    >>>there. Does that work?
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >>Hmm... interesting.
    >> I tried to double-click it (mail.checkDefaultMail) in Config Editor
    >>and it gave the same error message when I tried to change from false to
    >>true.
    >> Tried right-click while there, then "Reset" and it seems to stick as
    >>"true" which is the default setting. Seems to stick after opening and
    >>closing TB a few times. Still don't have the check mark in the
    >>Tools/Options/General box for default mail.
    >> On Control Panel, Internet Options, I changed it to TB. Somehow it
    >>had gotten set back to Outlook Express (beats me why that happened
    >>because it used to be TB).
    >> On the "Set Program Access & Defaults", it is set to "current
    >>program" but the "enable access to this program" is unchecked for
    >>Thunderbird and keeps resetting back to unchecked whenever I check it.
    >>That may be what is overriding the other settings??? Help on that
    >>screen says to talk to the program manufacturer...
    >> Just went back to TB Tools/Options/General, ...and the default mail
    >>box is now checked. Who-hoo ... Still don't have the "enable access .."
    >>checked for TB in Control Panel, "Set Program Access & Defaults" though.
    >> One small step for mankind...
    >> Just to make sure, I shut down completely and restarted. Settings
    >>stayed as above - now showing the default check box in
    >>Tools/Options/General as TB for the default mail client, showing true in
    >>mail.checkDefaultMail, showing TB in Control Panel/Internet Options, and
    >>still unable to get it to stay checked in "Set Program Access &
    >>Defaults." TB is coming up as the default mail client when I click
    >>mailto links and from Firefox (read mail and New mail).
    >> I wonder if all those different ways of setting the default mail
    >>client might be interfering with each other somehow?
    >> Thanks for the help
    >>
    >>Barbara
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I have no idea cause I only use win98.
    >

    a further note, why don't you ask on a windows newsgroup:
    http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx

    --
    Time for a change

  17. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    _Barbara_ spoke thusly on 22/01/2006 8:14 PM:
    > I created a new administrator account, set up TB in that account. When
    > I went to Tool/Options, still got the error message when I tried to
    > check TB as the default mail client. It was already checked for news.


    This is clearly a Windows issue, and not a Firefox/Thunderbird issue.
    Try a Windows newsgroup.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)
    Mozilla Help
    Netscape 7 Help

  18. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Barbara_ spoke thusly on 22/01/2006 8:14 PM:
    >
    >> I created a new administrator account, set up TB in that account. When
    >>I went to Tool/Options, still got the error message when I tried to
    >>check TB as the default mail client. It was already checked for news.

    >
    >
    > This is clearly a Windows issue, and not a Firefox/Thunderbird issue.
    > Try a Windows newsgroup.


    After reading through all this, that is my thought exactly. It almost
    sounds like a registry permissions issue to me. I have never messed
    with permissions, so I can't offer any advice.

    --
    Alex

  19. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    On 1/24/2006 1:50 AM Pacific Time, Alex wrote thusly:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Barbara_ spoke thusly on 22/01/2006 8:14 PM:
    >>
    >>> I created a new administrator account, set up TB in that account. When
    >>> I went to Tool/Options, still got the error message when I tried to
    >>> check TB as the default mail client. It was already checked for news.

    >>
    >> This is clearly a Windows issue, and not a Firefox/Thunderbird issue.
    >> Try a Windows newsgroup.

    >
    > After reading through all this, that is my thought exactly. It almost
    > sounds like a registry permissions issue to me. I have never messed
    > with permissions, so I can't offer any advice.
    >
    > --
    > Alex

    Alex,et al,
    It would seem that way. Microsoft Help says that when that box is
    not able to be checked, it's the fault of the software manufacturer
    (e.g., Mozilla) not allowing it. Since I have it working as it should,
    I only pursued it further to check out the various helpful suggestions
    given. And, since I'm the curious sort, I learned a bit in the process.
    The only other thing I might try if I had lots of time and nothing
    else to do would be to uninstall/reinstall TB and check the "default"
    mail during install to see what that might do. But, as I said way back
    in the this chain, it's working so I'm going to leave well enough alone.
    Again, I appreciate all the help

    Barbara

  20. Re: read mail calling wrong program

    _Barbara_ spoke thusly on 24/01/2006 2:06 PM:
    > It would seem that way. Microsoft Help says that when that box is not
    > able to be checked, it's the fault of the software manufacturer (e.g.,
    > Mozilla) not allowing it. Since I have it working as it should, I only
    > pursued it further to check out the various helpful suggestions given.
    > And, since I'm the curious sort, I learned a bit in the process.
    > The only other thing I might try if I had lots of time and nothing
    > else to do would be to uninstall/reinstall TB and check the "default"
    > mail during install to see what that might do. But, as I said way back
    > in the this chain, it's working so I'm going to leave well enough alone.
    > Again, I appreciate all the help


    If they say it's the software program, test it using another program.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)
    Mozilla Help
    Netscape 7 Help

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast