startup page v. home page - Mozilla

This is a discussion on startup page v. home page - Mozilla ; I think there was a recent discussion of how to separate a startup page from a home page, but I can't find it through a search. I went to about :config, but no clue how to set a certain page ...

  1. startup page v. home page

    I think there was a recent discussion of how to separate a startup page
    from a home page, but I can't find it through a search.

    I went to about:config, but no clue how to set a certain page as the
    startup. It speaks of integers or strings.

    Guidance, anyone?

    Thanks!

    Steve

  2. Re: startup page v. home page

    On 01/19/06 18:57, Stephen Fox wrote:
    > I think there was a recent discussion of how to separate a startup page
    > from a home page, but I can't find it through a search.
    >
    > I went to about:config, but no clue how to set a certain page as the
    > startup. It speaks of integers or strings.
    >
    > Guidance, anyone?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Steve

    I think the thread you're referring to is "Homepage versus Startpage",
    started by Chris Ilias at 2006-01-09 17:23 EST.

    ()
    --
    Yay!

  3. Re: startup page v. home page

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/19/06 18:57, Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> I think there was a recent discussion of how to separate a startup
    >> page from a home page, but I can't find it through a search.
    >>
    >> I went to about:config, but no clue how to set a certain page as the
    >> startup. It speaks of integers or strings.
    >>
    >> Guidance, anyone?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Steve

    > I think the thread you're referring to is "Homepage versus Startpage",
    > started by Chris Ilias at 2006-01-09 17:23 EST.

    > ()

    Doesn't work for me. I went to the startup page I wanted, then
    about:config, and set the Integer to 2. Opens in a blank untitled page.
    Not the result I expected. What am I doing wrong?

    Steve

  4. Re: startup page v. home page

    On 01/20/06 00:20, Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Doesn't work for me. I went to the startup page I wanted, then
    > about:config, and set the Integer to 2. Opens in a blank untitled page.
    > Not the result I expected. What am I doing wrong?

    I don't think the feature works, I was just saying that's probably the
    thread you were thinking of. :-)
    --
    Yay!

  5. Re: startup page v. home page

    _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2006 6:57 PM:

    http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/04/homepag...rtpage_09.html
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help

  6. Re: startup page v. home page

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2006 6:57 PM:
    >> I think there was a recent discussion of how to separate a startup
    >> page from a home page, but I can't find it through a search.
    >>
    >> I went to about:config, but no clue how to set a certain page as the
    >> startup. It speaks of integers or strings.
    >>
    >> Guidance, anyone?

    > http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/04/homepag...rtpage_09.html

    Chris,

    This was exactly what I tried that didn't work.

    Steve

  7. Re: startup page v. home page

    _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 20/01/2006 10:54 AM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/04/homepag...rtpage_09.html

    > This was exactly what I tried that didn't work.

    What were you trying to accomplish?
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help
    Netscape 7 Help

  8. Re: startup page v. home page

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 20/01/2006 10:54 AM:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/04/homepag...rtpage_09.html

    >> This was exactly what I tried that didn't work.

    > What were you trying to accomplish?

    As I explained in my first message, I'm trying to create a startup page
    that is different from my home page. I twice tried the method you
    describe in your link, but it didn't work. I always get a blank tab and
    blank page, even though I change the integer to 2. Don't know how else
    to explain it. Someone else in this thread says your method with
    about:config doesn't work. Guess that's right.

    Steve

  9. Re: startup page v. home page

    Stephen Fox wrote in
    :

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 20/01/2006 10:54 AM:

    >>> This was exactly what I tried that didn't work.

    >> What were you trying to accomplish?

    > As I explained in my first message, I'm trying to create a startup
    > page that is different from my home page. I twice tried the
    > method you describe in your link, but it didn't work. I always
    > get a blank tab and blank page, even though I change the integer
    > to 2. Don't know how else to explain it. Someone else in this
    > thread says your method with about:config doesn't work. Guess
    > that's right.

    It was Matt who said that in this thread. It works fine for me.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any idea why it's not working for you.

    Here's workaround you may or may not like. Use about:config to set
    browser.throbber.url to the URL of your current home page. Change your
    "Home Page" under Tools Options to whatever you want the start page
    to be. Then Fx will start with the page you want, and any time you
    want to go "home" click the throbber instead of the home button.

  10. Re: startup page v. home page

    _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 20/01/2006 11:16 PM:

    > As I explained in my first message, I'm trying to create a startup page
    > that is different from my home page. I twice tried the method you
    > describe in your link, but it didn't work. I always get a blank tab and
    > blank page, even though I change the integer to 2. Don't know how else
    > to explain it.

    A value of 2 will make Firefox start in the last page you visited in
    your previous Firefox session. That URL may vary, depending if you end
    all your Firefox sessions on the same page.

    > Someone else in this thread says your method with
    > about:config doesn't work. Guess that's right.

    Rubbish. :-)
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help
    Netscape 7 Help

  11. Re: startup page v. home page

    Q wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 20/01/2006 10:54 AM:

    >>> What were you trying to accomplish?

    >> As I explained in my first message, I'm trying to create a startup
    >> page that is different from my home page. I twice tried the
    >> method you describe in your link, but it didn't work. I always
    >> get a blank tab and blank page, even though I change the integer
    >> to 2. Don't know how else to explain it. Someone else in this
    >> thread says your method with about:config doesn't work. Guess
    >> that's right.

    > It was Matt who said that in this thread. It works fine for me.
    > Unfortunately, I don't have any idea why it's not working for you.
    >
    > Here's workaround you may or may not like. Use about:config to set
    > browser.throbber.url to the URL of your current home page. Change your
    > "Home Page" under Tools Options to whatever you want the start page
    > to be. Then Fx will start with the page you want, and any time you
    > want to go "home" click the throbber instead of the home button.

    What is a "throbber"?

    Steve

  12. Re: startup page v. home page

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 20/01/2006 11:16 PM:

    >> As I explained in my first message, I'm trying to create a startup
    >> page that is different from my home page. I twice tried the method
    >> you describe in your link, but it didn't work. I always get a blank
    >> tab and blank page, even though I change the integer to 2. Don't know
    >> how else to explain it.

    > A value of 2 will make Firefox start in the last page you visited in
    > your previous Firefox session. That URL may vary, depending if you end
    > all your Firefox sessions on the same page.
    >
    >> Someone else in this thread says your method with about:config
    >> doesn't work. Guess that's right.

    > Rubbish. :-)

    That's helpful. Thanks.

    Steve

  13. Re: startup page v. home page

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 20/01/2006 11:16 PM:

    >> As I explained in my first message, I'm trying to create a startup
    >> page that is different from my home page. I twice tried the method
    >> you describe in your link, but it didn't work. I always get a blank
    >> tab and blank page, even though I change the integer to 2. Don't know
    >> how else to explain it.

    > A value of 2 will make Firefox start in the last page you visited in
    > your previous Firefox session. That URL may vary, depending if you end
    > all your Firefox sessions on the same page.
    >
    >> Someone else in this thread says your method with about:config
    >> doesn't work. Guess that's right.

    > Rubbish. :-)

    OK. Are you saying that the "last session" is the the session before
    you last quit Firefox? I had assumed that last page visited, which is
    in your explanation, meant the last page visited in the current session.
    Is this the correct interpretation of "last session"?

    Steve

  14. Re: startup page v. home page

    Stephen Fox wrote in
    :

    >> Here's workaround you may or may not like. Use about:config to
    >> set browser.throbber.url to the URL of your current home page.
    >> Change your "Home Page" under Tools Options to whatever you
    >> want the start page to be. Then Fx will start with the page you
    >> want, and any time you want to go "home" click the throbber
    >> instead of the home button.
    >>

    > What is a "throbber"?

    The icon in the upper right that animates when a page is loading.

  15. Re: startup page v. home page

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 20/01/2006 11:16 PM:

    >>> As I explained in my first message, I'm trying to create a startup
    >>> page that is different from my home page. I twice tried the method
    >>> you describe in your link, but it didn't work. I always get a blank
    >>> tab and blank page, even though I change the integer to 2. Don't
    >>> know how else to explain it.

    >> A value of 2 will make Firefox start in the last page you visited in
    >> your previous Firefox session. That URL may vary, depending if you end
    >> all your Firefox sessions on the same page.
    >>
    >>> Someone else in this thread says your method with about:config
    >>> doesn't work. Guess that's right.

    >> Rubbish. :-)

    > OK. Are you saying that the "last session" is the the session before
    > you last quit Firefox? I had assumed that last page visited, which is
    > in your explanation, meant the last page visited in the current session.
    > Is this the correct interpretation of "last session"?
    >
    > Steve

    A 'session' is considered as that time between startup and quit of the
    program. Ergo 'last session' would be considered as the session prior to
    you quitting and restarting the program. Current session is everything
    that has happened since you restarted.

  16. Re: startup page v. home page

    _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 21/01/2006 10:59 AM:

    >> A value of 2 will make Firefox start in the last page you visited in
    >> your previous Firefox session. That URL may vary, depending if you end
    >> all your Firefox sessions on the same page.

    > OK. Are you saying that the "last session" is the the session before
    > you last quit Firefox? I had assumed that last page visited, which is
    > in your explanation, meant the last page visited in the current session.
    > Is this the correct interpretation of "last session"?

    Last session before you quit Firefox.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help
    Netscape 7 Help

  17. Re: startup page v. home page

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 20/01/2006 11:16 PM:

    >>> A value of 2 will make Firefox start in the last page you visited in
    >>> your previous Firefox session. That URL may vary, depending if you
    >>> end all your Firefox sessions on the same page.

    >>> Rubbish. :-)

    >> OK. Are you saying that the "last session" is the the session before
    >> you last quit Firefox? I had assumed that last page visited, which is
    >> in your explanation, meant the last page visited in the current
    >> session. Is this the correct interpretation of "last session"?
    >>
    >> Steve

    > A 'session' is considered as that time between startup and quit of the
    > program. Ergo 'last session' would be considered as the session prior to
    > you quitting and restarting the program. Current session is everything
    > that has happened since you restarted.

    I couldn't get this to work either. Giving up.

  18. Re: startup page v. home page

    On 01/20/06 23:33, »Q« wrote:
    > It was Matt who said that in this thread. It works fine for me.

    I didn't think the starting on the last page (setting it to 2) worked.
    Cool if it does, though.
    --
    Yay!

  19. Re: startup page v. home page

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > I think there was a recent discussion of how to separate a startup page
    > from a home page, but I can't find it through a search.
    >
    > I went to about:config, but no clue how to set a certain page as the
    > startup. It speaks of integers or strings.
    >
    > Guidance, anyone?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Steve

    Try this. About:NotBlank
    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1904
    You'll have to bump up the max version in install.rdf but it does still
    work as well as ever in Firefox 1.5.0.1 on my Windows 98.

    About:NotBlank substitutes another local html file which Firefox uses
    whenever a blank page is called for. To make it load something from the
    web you would need a "meta refresh" tag with the url specified in the
    refresh tag in the head of your local document. (I think.)

    http://webdesign.about.com/cs/metatags/a/aa080300a.htm

    As described at
    http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/04/homepag...rtpage_09.html ,

    in "about:config" find this:

    browser.startup.page

    and change the value to 0 for opening new windows in a blank page (which
    will be switched to your page by About:NotBlank) while still allowing
    you to have another page for a home page.

    MrTech's Local Install has an option during the install to override the
    max version limitations if you don't want to edit install.rdf and repack
    the extension.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...nfo.php?id=421

    This will accomplish what you want.

+ Reply to Thread