Why Doesn't Firefox have pre-configured Download Actions? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Why Doesn't Firefox have pre-configured Download Actions? - Mozilla ; I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes... I love Firefox - and I've been using it often lately (since Safari keeps crashing all the time) but having to decide what to ...

  1. Why Doesn't Firefox have pre-configured Download Actions?

    I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes...

    I love Firefox - and I've been using it often lately (since Safari
    keeps crashing all the time) but having to decide what to do with EVERY
    kind of file I download is quickly becoming a real pain in the ass.
    Safari isn't perfect but at least it comes pre-configured to deal with
    just about every type of file you throw at it.

    I have to tell Firefox what to do with each and every file I download
    which is truly annoying. Also, with some files (for some reason) I have
    to Firefox to "Save Files to Disk" every time. I have no idea why the
    "Do this automatically from now on" box is grayed out when I attempt to
    download certain files. So far I've found this most often happens with
    binary files. Why can't Firefox programmers include a standard set of
    Download Actions (like open RealPlayer files with RealPlayer for
    example) instead of hitting us with dialog after dialog for each and
    every file type we download? Of course, if you provide us with default
    choices we can always edit them if we want later.

    Another annoying problem with Download Actions is that while you can
    edit them you can't add new actions! So I'm faced with a Catch-22 when
    trying to deal with a RealPlayer URL
    (rtsp://video.c-span.org/project/ter/ter011606_gore.rm).

    Sometimes Firefox lets me choose an application to deal with the file
    and sometimes it does not. Firefox is such a well-designed program in
    so many ways so when I find frustrating, Window-like features like this
    it makes me sad.

    Anyway, thanks for reading this (if anyone who works on Firefox
    actually does!).

    One more thing. How about creating Toolbar icons for increasing and
    decreasing the text size on the page? That would be very useful. Thanks
    again.

    Yours,
    Liquid Todd
    NYC

  2. Re: Why Doesn't Firefox have pre-configured Download Actions?

    LT wrote:
    > I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes...
    >
    > I love Firefox - and I've been using it often lately (since Safari keeps
    > crashing all the time) but having to decide what to do with EVERY kind
    > of file I download is quickly becoming a real pain in the ass. Safari
    > isn't perfect but at least it comes pre-configured to deal with just
    > about every type of file you throw at it.
    >
    > I have to tell Firefox what to do with each and every file I download
    > which is truly annoying. Also, with some files (for some reason) I have
    > to Firefox to "Save Files to Disk" every time. I have no idea why the
    > "Do this automatically from now on" box is grayed out when I attempt to
    > download certain files. So far I've found this most often happens with
    > binary files. Why can't Firefox programmers include a standard set of
    > Download Actions (like open RealPlayer files with RealPlayer for
    > example) instead of hitting us with dialog after dialog for each and
    > every file type we download? Of course, if you provide us with default
    > choices we can always edit them if we want later.
    >
    > Another annoying problem with Download Actions is that while you can
    > edit them you can't add new actions! So I'm faced with a Catch-22 when
    > trying to deal with a RealPlayer URL
    > (rtsp://video.c-span.org/project/ter/ter011606_gore.rm).
    >
    > Sometimes Firefox lets me choose an application to deal with the file
    > and sometimes it does not. Firefox is such a well-designed program in so
    > many ways so when I find frustrating, Window-like features like this it
    > makes me sad.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for reading this (if anyone who works on Firefox actually
    > does!).
    >
    > One more thing. How about creating Toolbar icons for increasing and
    > decreasing the text size on the page? That would be very useful. Thanks
    > again.
    >
    > Yours,
    > Liquid Todd
    > NYC

    One of the reasons that Firefox is more secure than IE is exactly that
    it DOESNT have a set of pre-configured choices. To protect you from .exe
    (the most common vector for viruses/trojans/backdoors) you have to
    download to disk. IE on the other hand will (on a windows system)
    automatically run the file and you are infected.

    Additionally, many of the files available on the net are windows
    centric. Exe files (again) are not native to Mac, and cant be opened
    (unless you run emulation software/hardware)

    If you want to run realplayer files, then why not just install the real
    player plugin? Then Firefox will be automatically configured to run them
    because it refers to the plug in, not the helper application list.

    You can easily enlarge/reduce the size of the text by using
    View-->Text Size-->Increase or Descrease
    there are even keyboard eqivelents for them (Cmd + Cmd -) (Cmd is
    Cloverleaf)

    A binary file, is a raw file. Without knowing what program it is
    suppossed to work in, how could Firefox 'know' which to assign it to?
    For example, you might download a binary that someone created with
    Appleworks, or in a graphics program, so you have to choose which
    program you wish to open it with, on a case by case basis.

    You can ADD new functions to the Helper Application list simply by
    performing the function! I.e. if you run across a file you dont have a
    helper application set for, then simply tell Firefox what to do with the
    file (Download to Disk/Open with etc) and click the Remember box and
    a new Helper Application entry is created.

+ Reply to Thread