Problem with Bookmarks & Navigation Toolbar - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Problem with Bookmarks & Navigation Toolbar - Mozilla ; I am new to Firefox. I've been using Mozilla, and before that communicator. I've been using Firefox for a few days now (latest version), and for the most part I like it. I have issues with "Bookmarks" though. I am ...

  1. Problem with Bookmarks & Navigation Toolbar

    I am new to Firefox. I've been using Mozilla, and before that
    communicator. I've been using Firefox for a few days now (latest
    version), and for the most part I like it. I have issues with
    "Bookmarks" though. I am use to the way Bookmarks worked in Mozilla.
    When you pushed Ctrl+B in Mozilla you got the Bookmark manager. In
    Firefox you get the Bookmark Sidebar, which is not what I want. There
    doesn't seem to be a shortcut for Bookmarks Manager in Firefox. That is
    something I hope they add in the future, unless there is a way of
    changing what Ctrl+B controls now. My other issue is when you right
    click on a Sidebar Bookmark, and then click on, open in new window. What
    happens is: A new window opens with the bookmarked webpage, but it also
    opens the webpage in the same window the sidebar is in. So now you have
    2 windows open with the same webpage. That seems like a bug to me.

    The last issue I have is with the Navigation Toolbar. I'm not sure if
    this is a bug or by design. When you use the drop down to navigate to a
    previously entered website, the website is not moved to the top of the
    list. This is a pane if the list is long, and you intend to go back to
    the same sight more then once. In Mozilla, the webpage is moved to the
    top of the list. As I said, "not sure if this is a bug or by design".

    twillers

  2. Re: Problem with Bookmarks & Navigation Toolbar

    twillers wrote:
    > I am new to Firefox. I've been using Mozilla, and before that
    > communicator. I've been using Firefox for a few days now (latest
    > version), and for the most part I like it. I have issues with
    > "Bookmarks" though. I am use to the way Bookmarks worked in Mozilla.
    > When you pushed Ctrl+B in Mozilla you got the Bookmark manager. In
    > Firefox you get the Bookmark Sidebar, which is not what I want. There
    > doesn't seem to be a shortcut for Bookmarks Manager in Firefox. That
    > is something I hope they add in the future, unless there is a way of
    > changing what Ctrl+B controls now. My other issue is when you right
    > click on a Sidebar Bookmark, and then click on, open in new window.
    > What happens is: A new window opens with the bookmarked webpage, but
    > it also opens the webpage in the same window the sidebar is in. So
    > now you have 2 windows open with the same webpage. That seems like a
    > bug to me.
    > The last issue I have is with the Navigation Toolbar. I'm not sure if
    > this is a bug or by design. When you use the drop down to navigate to
    > a previously entered website, the website is not moved to the top of
    > the list. This is a pane if the list is long, and you intend to go
    > back to the same sight more then once. In Mozilla, the webpage is
    > moved to the top of the list. As I said, "not sure if this is a bug
    > or by design".
    > twillers

    As an aside I wanted to let everyone know that 1.5 still has the same
    problem with the bookmark manager that 1.0.7 had (ie it wont move multiple
    files highlighted with the shift or control key, either by dragging or using
    the move icon - and it is intermittent - sometimes it will work but mostly
    not, especially once it stops working). I reported this in the other group
    and figured 1.5 would fix the problem, but it didn't, and it still exists.
    I wasn't going to report it again, but since I saw this post about bookmark
    problems, I thought I would chime in. Oh well...Pete

  3. Re: Problem with Bookmarks & Navigation Toolbar

    Pete wrote:

    > twillers wrote:
    >
    >>I am new to Firefox. I've been using Mozilla, and before that
    >>communicator. I've been using Firefox for a few days now (latest
    >>version), and for the most part I like it. I have issues with
    >>"Bookmarks" though. I am use to the way Bookmarks worked in Mozilla.
    >>When you pushed Ctrl+B in Mozilla you got the Bookmark manager. In
    >>Firefox you get the Bookmark Sidebar, which is not what I want. There
    >>doesn't seem to be a shortcut for Bookmarks Manager in Firefox. That
    >>is something I hope they add in the future, unless there is a way of
    >>changing what Ctrl+B controls now. My other issue is when you right
    >>click on a Sidebar Bookmark, and then click on, open in new window.
    >>What happens is: A new window opens with the bookmarked webpage, but
    >>it also opens the webpage in the same window the sidebar is in. So
    >>now you have 2 windows open with the same webpage. That seems like a
    >>bug to me.
    >>The last issue I have is with the Navigation Toolbar. I'm not sure if
    >>this is a bug or by design. When you use the drop down to navigate to
    >>a previously entered website, the website is not moved to the top of
    >>the list. This is a pane if the list is long, and you intend to go
    >>back to the same sight more then once. In Mozilla, the webpage is
    >>moved to the top of the list. As I said, "not sure if this is a bug
    >>or by design".
    >> twillers

    > As an aside I wanted to let everyone know that 1.5 still has the same
    > problem with the bookmark manager that 1.0.7 had (ie it wont move multiple
    > files highlighted with the shift or control key, either by dragging or using
    > the move icon - and it is intermittent - sometimes it will work but mostly
    > not, especially once it stops working). I reported this in the other group
    > and figured 1.5 would fix the problem, but it didn't, and it still exists.
    > I wasn't going to report it again, but since I saw this post about bookmark
    > problems, I thought I would chime in. Oh well...Pete

    Pete,
    Never having used the other versions of Firefox, would these
    issues be considered a bug, or a design flaw?

    twillers

  4. Re: Problem with Bookmarks & Navigation Toolbar

    twillers wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >
    >> twillers wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am new to Firefox. I've been using Mozilla, and before that
    >>> communicator. I've been using Firefox for a few days now (latest
    >>> version), and for the most part I like it. I have issues with
    >>> "Bookmarks" though. I am use to the way Bookmarks worked in Mozilla.
    >>> When you pushed Ctrl+B in Mozilla you got the Bookmark manager. In
    >>> Firefox you get the Bookmark Sidebar, which is not what I want.
    >>> There doesn't seem to be a shortcut for Bookmarks Manager in
    >>> Firefox. That is something I hope they add in the future, unless
    >>> there is a way of changing what Ctrl+B controls now. My other issue
    >>> is when you right click on a Sidebar Bookmark, and then click on,
    >>> open in new window. What happens is: A new window opens with the
    >>> bookmarked webpage, but it also opens the webpage in the same
    >>> window the sidebar is in. So now you have 2 windows open with the
    >>> same webpage. That seems like a bug to me.
    >>> The last issue I have is with the Navigation Toolbar. I'm not sure
    >>> if this is a bug or by design. When you use the drop down to
    >>> navigate to a previously entered website, the website is not moved
    >>> to the top of the list. This is a pane if the list is long, and you
    >>> intend to go back to the same sight more then once. In Mozilla, the
    >>> webpage is moved to the top of the list. As I said, "not sure if
    >>> this is a bug or by design".
    >>> twillers

    >> As an aside I wanted to let everyone know that 1.5 still has the same
    >> problem with the bookmark manager that 1.0.7 had (ie it wont move
    >> multiple files highlighted with the shift or control key, either by
    >> dragging or using the move icon - and it is intermittent - sometimes
    >> it will work but mostly not, especially once it stops working). I
    >> reported this in the other group and figured 1.5 would fix the
    >> problem, but it didn't, and it still exists. I wasn't going to
    >> report it again, but since I saw this post about bookmark problems,
    >> I thought I would chime in. Oh well...Pete

    > Pete,
    > Never having used the other versions of Firefox, would these
    > issues be considered a bug, or a design flaw?
    >
    > twillers

    Sorry twillers...I'm not a programmer, and know nothing about bugs versus
    design flaws. I always call them "glitches" to be on the side :-):-)
    ....Pete

  5. Re: Problem with Bookmarks & Navigation Toolbar

    Pete wrote:
    > twillers wrote:
    >
    >>I am new to Firefox. I've been using Mozilla, and before that
    >>communicator. I've been using Firefox for a few days now (latest
    >>version), and for the most part I like it. I have issues with
    >>"Bookmarks" though. I am use to the way Bookmarks worked in Mozilla.
    >>When you pushed Ctrl+B in Mozilla you got the Bookmark manager. In
    >>Firefox you get the Bookmark Sidebar, which is not what I want. There
    >>doesn't seem to be a shortcut for Bookmarks Manager in Firefox. That
    >>is something I hope they add in the future, unless there is a way of
    >>changing what Ctrl+B controls now. My other issue is when you right
    >>click on a Sidebar Bookmark, and then click on, open in new window.
    >>What happens is: A new window opens with the bookmarked webpage, but
    >>it also opens the webpage in the same window the sidebar is in. So
    >>now you have 2 windows open with the same webpage. That seems like a
    >>bug to me.
    >>The last issue I have is with the Navigation Toolbar. I'm not sure if
    >>this is a bug or by design. When you use the drop down to navigate to
    >>a previously entered website, the website is not moved to the top of
    >>the list. This is a pane if the list is long, and you intend to go
    >>back to the same sight more then once. In Mozilla, the webpage is
    >>moved to the top of the list. As I said, "not sure if this is a bug
    >>or by design".
    >> twillers

    > As an aside I wanted to let everyone know that 1.5 still has the same
    > problem with the bookmark manager that 1.0.7 had (ie it wont move multiple
    > files highlighted with the shift or control key, either by dragging or using
    > the move icon - and it is intermittent - sometimes it will work but mostly
    > not, especially once it stops working). I reported this in the other group
    > and figured 1.5 would fix the problem, but it didn't, and it still exists.
    > I wasn't going to report it again, but since I saw this post about bookmark
    > problems, I thought I would chime in. Oh well...Pete

    I don't have that problem. Must be something at your end causing this
    problem.

  6. Re: Problem with Bookmarks & Navigation Toolbar

    On 17.01.2006 19:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete to
    generate the following:? :

    >twillers wrote:
    >

    >>I am new to Firefox. I've been using Mozilla, and before that
    >>communicator. I've been using Firefox for a few days now (latest
    >>version), and for the most part I like it. I have issues with
    >>"Bookmarks" though. I am use to the way Bookmarks worked in Mozilla.
    >>When you pushed Ctrl+B in Mozilla you got the Bookmark manager. In
    >>Firefox you get the Bookmark Sidebar, which is not what I want. There
    >>doesn't seem to be a shortcut for Bookmarks Manager in Firefox. That
    >>is something I hope they add in the future, unless there is a way of
    >>changing what Ctrl+B controls now. My other issue is when you right
    >>click on a Sidebar Bookmark, and then click on, open in new window.
    >>What happens is: A new window opens with the bookmarked webpage, but
    >>it also opens the webpage in the same window the sidebar is in. So
    >>now you have 2 windows open with the same webpage. That seems like a
    >>bug to me.
    >>The last issue I have is with the Navigation Toolbar. I'm not sure if
    >>this is a bug or by design. When you use the drop down to navigate to
    >>a previously entered website, the website is not moved to the top of
    >>the list. This is a pane if the list is long, and you intend to go
    >>back to the same sight more then once. In Mozilla, the webpage is
    >>moved to the top of the list. As I said, "not sure if this is a bug
    >>or by design".
    >> twillers
    >>

    >As an aside I wanted to let everyone know that 1.5 still has the same
    >problem with the bookmark manager that 1.0.7 had (ie it wont move multiple
    >files highlighted with the shift or control key, either by dragging or using
    >the move icon - and it is intermittent - sometimes it will work but mostly
    >not, especially once it stops working). I reported this in the other group
    >and figured 1.5 would fix the problem, but it didn't, and it still exists.
    >I wasn't going to report it again, but since I saw this post about bookmark
    >problems, I thought I would chime in. Oh well...Pete

    I have just tested your accusation in FF1.0.7 and I can safely say, it
    is *YOU* that is doing something very wrong!

    Main menu Bookmarks>>Manage bookmarks

    in the BM list, mark the BMs to be moved
    left click AND HOLD
    drag'n'drop to the new location

    If you want them in a new folder, you must MARK the BMs
    Click the MOVE button in the top toolbar
    Click [New Folder...]
    NAME the new folder >> OK
    FIND AND MARK the new folder name (probably right at the *very bottom*
    of the tree)
    click OK....

    and see your BMs move like greased whatsit!

    reg

  7. Re: Problem with Bookmarks & Navigation Toolbar

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 17.01.2006 19:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete to
    > generate the following:? :
    >
    >> twillers wrote:
    >>

    >>> I am new to Firefox. I've been using Mozilla, and before that
    >>> communicator. I've been using Firefox for a few days now (latest
    >>> version), and for the most part I like it. I have issues with
    >>> "Bookmarks" though. I am use to the way Bookmarks worked in Mozilla.
    >>> When you pushed Ctrl+B in Mozilla you got the Bookmark manager. In
    >>> Firefox you get the Bookmark Sidebar, which is not what I want.
    >>> There doesn't seem to be a shortcut for Bookmarks Manager in
    >>> Firefox. That is something I hope they add in the future, unless
    >>> there is a way of changing what Ctrl+B controls now. My other issue
    >>> is when you right click on a Sidebar Bookmark, and then click on,
    >>> open in new window. What happens is: A new window opens with the
    >>> bookmarked webpage, but it also opens the webpage in the same
    >>> window the sidebar is in. So now you have 2 windows open with the
    >>> same webpage. That seems like a bug to me.
    >>> The last issue I have is with the Navigation Toolbar. I'm not sure
    >>> if this is a bug or by design. When you use the drop down to
    >>> navigate to a previously entered website, the website is not moved
    >>> to the top of the list. This is a pane if the list is long, and you
    >>> intend to go back to the same sight more then once. In Mozilla, the
    >>> webpage is moved to the top of the list. As I said, "not sure if
    >>> this is a bug or by design".
    >>> twillers
    >>>

    >> As an aside I wanted to let everyone know that 1.5 still has the same
    >> problem with the bookmark manager that 1.0.7 had (ie it wont move
    >> multiple files highlighted with the shift or control key, either by
    >> dragging or using the move icon - and it is intermittent - sometimes
    >> it will work but mostly not, especially once it stops working). I
    >> reported this in the other group and figured 1.5 would fix the
    >> problem, but it didn't, and it still exists. I wasn't going to
    >> report it again, but since I saw this post about bookmark problems,
    >> I thought I would chime in. Oh well...Pete

    > I have just tested your accusation in FF1.0.7 and I can safely say, it
    > is *YOU* that is doing something very wrong!
    >
    > Main menu Bookmarks>>Manage bookmarks
    >
    > in the BM list, mark the BMs to be moved
    > left click AND HOLD
    > drag'n'drop to the new location
    >
    > If you want them in a new folder, you must MARK the BMs
    > Click the MOVE button in the top toolbar
    > Click [New Folder...]
    > NAME the new folder >> OK
    > FIND AND MARK the new folder name (probably right at the *very bottom*
    > of the tree)
    > click OK....
    >
    > and see your BMs move like greased whatsit!
    >
    > reg

    Reg...I know how to highlight the damn bookmarks and move them. I'm telling
    you there is a glitch and it works intermittently at best (make sure you
    highlight more than one to test it - and keep at it). Several people in the
    other group told me they experienced the same thing when I posted there. If
    is ats my end then fine...Pete

  8. Re: Problem with Bookmarks & Navigation Toolbar

    twillers wrote:
    > I am new to Firefox. I've been using Mozilla, and before that
    > communicator. I've been using Firefox for a few days now (latest
    > version), and for the most part I like it. I have issues with
    > "Bookmarks" though. I am use to the way Bookmarks worked in Mozilla.
    > When you pushed Ctrl+B in Mozilla you got the Bookmark manager. In
    > Firefox you get the Bookmark Sidebar, which is not what I want. There
    > doesn't seem to be a shortcut for Bookmarks Manager in Firefox. That is
    > something I hope they add in the future, unless there is a way of
    > changing what Ctrl+B controls now. My other issue is when you right
    > click on a Sidebar Bookmark, and then click on, open in new window. What
    > happens is: A new window opens with the bookmarked webpage, but it also
    > opens the webpage in the same window the sidebar is in. So now you have
    > 2 windows open with the same webpage. That seems like a bug to me.
    >
    > The last issue I have is with the Navigation Toolbar. I'm not sure if
    > this is a bug or by design. When you use the drop down to navigate to a
    > previously entered website, the website is not moved to the top of the
    > list. This is a pane if the list is long, and you intend to go back to
    > the same sight more then once. In Mozilla, the webpage is moved to the
    > top of the list. As I said, "not sure if this is a bug or by design".
    >
    > twillers

    The problem with right clicking a bookmark and choosing "open in new
    window" is either the result of conflicting code in some extension or a
    mouse problem. I had that same symptom before when I had some Bookmarks
    Search extension installed. Now I don't have that installed and the
    symptom has disappeared.

    Getting a keyboard shortcut for the Bookmarks Manager is easy with the
    Keyconfig extension:
    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index...ndpost&p=18897

    After you install it, you can find it on the Tools menu. Open it, click
    on "Show Edit Mode", then the "New" button. In the name box put
    Bookmarks Manager, in the menu box put Bookmarks, and in the command box
    put the following:

    toOpenWindowByType('bookmarks:manager',
    'chrome://browser/content/bookmarks/bookmarksManager.xul');

    just like that and click in the shortcut box then press your shortcut
    keys to enter them into the field.

    Personally I disable the shortcut key to compose new mail and then use
    ctrl+m for the Bookmarks Manager. You can use whatever you like as long
    as it isn't already being used. You can also change the shortcut keys
    later to something else. (Just highlight the item in the main window of
    Keyconfig and the shortcut keys in the lower righthand corner box become
    editable.)

    After there is something entered in every field (still in the Edit Mode
    window) the Apply button becomes enabled. Click that and then OK. Only
    new windows will show the new functionality, but you don't have to close
    the one you're in for the shortcut key to work in new windows that
    opened after it is set.

    I agree with your position about how the latest url should be at the top
    of the list in the location bar but apparently someone thought it would
    be too much trouble to make the list display in reverse order. I'm sure
    someone could make an extension that would create that effect, though.
    Not me so far, but someone.

    In the meantime Click2Tab is pretty handy.
    http://click2tab.mozdev.org/

    Quoted from the website:

    "The extension makes it possible to open bookmark/history item in new
    tab when left clicked.
    The extension also caches recent closed tabs, so you can reopen them
    with a single mouse click."

    It doesn't seem to work across multiple windows, though. Only recent
    tabs in the current window. Could be wrong. I'm not using it any more
    because I'm trying to cut back on unnecessary extensions. I used to use
    it all the time though. Made a light hit on my resources and is highly
    configurable.

    Good luck if this reply didn't come too late for you to ever see it.

+ Reply to Thread