Why is Mozilla calling this address at startup? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Why is Mozilla calling this address at startup? - Mozilla ; The other day, my system crashed and the result was that my Kerio filter file got destroyed (it's backed up though, so I eventually easily restored it). Not knowing that Kerio was now again using the same set of (very ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. Why is Mozilla calling this address at startup?

    The other day, my system crashed and the result was that my Kerio filter
    file got destroyed (it's backed up though, so I eventually easily
    restored it). Not knowing that Kerio was now again using the same set of
    (very limited) rules that you see right after installing that firewall,
    I started Firefox (v1.5) and immediately got two calling out alerts from
    Kerio. They were to the following addresses:

    1. virtual-fxfeeds.mozilla.org (207.126.111.225)
    2. signey.ubuntu.com (82.211.81.166)

    Wondering why Firefox would be calling out at startup, I restored the
    old filter set and restarting my computer, then created two new filter
    rules blocking any incoming, any protocol from those two addresses.
    Since blocking the first address stops updating of the RSS feed link
    named "Headlines" that comes with Firefox, I deleted that rule and now
    know why Firefox was calling that address at program startup.

    However, I still don't understand why Firefox is calling the
    signey.ubuntu.com address at startup. I'm sure it's benign, but am just
    curious. Does anybody know?

    TIA

    --
    Regards from John Corliss

  2. Re: Why is Mozilla calling this address at startup?

    On 16.01.2006 15:00, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John Corliss
    to generate the following:? :

    > The other day, my system crashed and the result was that my Kerio
    > filter file got destroyed (it's backed up though, so I eventually
    > easily restored it). Not knowing that Kerio was now again using the
    > same set of (very limited) rules that you see right after installing
    > that firewall, I started Firefox (v1.5) and immediately got two
    > calling out alerts from Kerio. They were to the following addresses:
    >
    > 1. virtual-fxfeeds.mozilla.org (207.126.111.225)
    > 2. signey.ubuntu.com (82.211.81.166)
    >
    > Wondering why Firefox would be calling out at startup, I restored the
    > old filter set and restarting my computer, then created two new filter
    > rules blocking any incoming, any protocol from those two addresses.
    > Since blocking the first address stops updating of the RSS feed link
    > named "Headlines" that comes with Firefox, I deleted that rule and now
    > know why Firefox was calling that address at program startup.
    >
    > However, I still don't understand why Firefox is calling the
    > signey.ubuntu.com address at startup. I'm sure it's benign, but am
    > just curious. Does anybody know?
    >
    > TIA

    did you try a Google search yet- may bring up some interesting info!

    reg

  3. Re: Why is Firefox calling this address at startup?

    Sorry about the error in the subject line. I meant "Why is FIREFOX" etc.

    --
    Regards from John Corliss

  4. Re: Why is Mozilla calling this address at startup?

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 16.01.2006 15:00, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John Corliss
    > to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> The other day, my system crashed and the result was that my Kerio
    >> filter file got destroyed (it's backed up though, so I eventually
    >> easily restored it). Not knowing that Kerio was now again using the
    >> same set of (very limited) rules that you see right after installing
    >> that firewall, I started Firefox (v1.5) and immediately got two
    >> calling out alerts from Kerio. They were to the following addresses:
    >>
    >> 1. virtual-fxfeeds.mozilla.org (207.126.111.225)
    >> 2. signey.ubuntu.com (82.211.81.166)
    >>
    >> Wondering why Firefox would be calling out at startup, I restored the
    >> old filter set and restarting my computer, then created two new filter
    >> rules blocking any incoming, any protocol from those two addresses.
    >> Since blocking the first address stops updating of the RSS feed link
    >> named "Headlines" that comes with Firefox, I deleted that rule and now
    >> know why Firefox was calling that address at program startup.
    >>
    >> However, I still don't understand why Firefox is calling the
    >> signey.ubuntu.com address at startup. I'm sure it's benign, but am
    >> just curious. Does anybody know?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    > did you try a Google search yet- may bring up some interesting info!

    I did indeed do this before posting. Got no hits:

    "Your search - "82.211.81.166" - did not match any documents."
    "Your search - "signey.ubuntu.com" - did not match any documents."

    --
    Regards from John Corliss

  5. Re: Why is Mozilla calling this address at startup?